Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 12:23   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai - Rajapur / Ratnagiri : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
If you want to take NH4 then i would suggest Mumbai-Pune-Karad-Kokrud-Malkapur-Amba Ghat-Sakharpa-Pali-Ratnagiri route. I traveled on this route just a couple of days back, The road is in top shape, absolutely scenic and the amba ghat and other small ghats are a drivers paradise. Pune to Ratnagiri Budget for 6 hours.
Based on the time-taken you are mentioning, this seems like a very tempting option. Just looked up the Google maps for this route. Google mentions 306km from Pune to Ratnagiri and mentions 5.5 hours!

For Mumbai folks, this route would be around 450kms. The NH17 route is 330KMs. Time taken would be similar because of the higher average speed on NH4 and expressway.

Last edited by SDP : 11th June 2013 at 12:37.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Based on the time-taken you are mentioning, this seems like a very tempting option. Just looked up the Google maps for thsi route. Google mentions 306km from Pune to Ratnagiri and mentions 5.5 hours!

For Mumbai folks, this route would be around 450kms. The NH17 route is 330KMs. Time taken would be similar because of the higher average speed on NH4 and expressway.
My Native place is just about 20km after crossing Amba Ghat. Hence i travel on this route once every 3 months. Take this route once and i am sure you will not bother with any other route while going to Ratnagiri-rajapur belt.
heman_369 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 12:29   #18
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Native place is just about 20km after crossing Amba Ghat. Hence i travel on this route once every 3 months. Take this route once and i am sure you will not bother with any other route while going to Ratnagiri-rajapur belt.
Noted! Added to my monsoon drives list! Thanks for the recommendation.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 17:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noted! Added to my monsoon drives list! Thanks for the recommendation.
If you are going via Amba ghat, and if you can spare the time, it will be worth it to make a detour and visit Marleshwar. It is a sight to behold once the rains have started.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 17:24   #20
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you are going via Amba ghat, and if you can spare the time, it will be worth it to make a detour and visit Marleshwar. It is a sight to behold once the rains have started.
Brilliant! Marleshwar - That is exactly what I was thinking. I have been there once in monsoon and its unreal ..almost heavenly in that season.

Last edited by SDP : 11th June 2013 at 17:26.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:09   #21
BHPian

Hi guys,

Konkan is one most favourite driving destinations for me and it's sheer joy in driving in konkan region. My hometown is Gaonkhadi which is near to Pawas I drove there many times in last five years.
For Mumbai - Ratnagiri route if one don't like single road then he should take Mumbai - karad (nh4) - malkapur - Amba ghat - Sakharpa - pali - Ratnagiri route. It's 450kms but it will take same average 10 hrs with lunch break. Malkapur to Ratnagiri via Amba ghat is very scenic and fun to drive especially if you are driving in monsoons. I have taken this twice in last monsoon as that time nh17 was in very bad shape.
Personally I love nh17 route to drive. It's average 8.5 - 9 hrs driving including breakfast and lunch halts. Last January I did Thane to Ratnagiri (hatkhamba naka) in my record time of 7.5 hrs in my Dzire VXI. The car was fully loaded. We also took 30 minutes for breakfast @ Kamat's, Mahad and 10 minutes break after Kasheli ghat for my 2 yr old son's breakfast. During this drive I actually bypassed turbhe, belapur, panvel, palspe, and Karnala by selecting vashi - palm beach - ulve - chirner route. If you take chirner route then you will directly reach at kharpada bridge few kms before Pen.

The real pain driving on nh17 is only upto Mahad due to small towns on the way and local traffic. Mahad onwards you will start enjoying drive. Kasheli ghat and Parshuram ghats are really in good conditions till Chiplun. Chiplun - Sangmeshwar - Ratnagiri road is straight in most of the areas but you to be bit careful while speeding up as there are patches in between. These patches are very much manageable but at average speed.

Please PM me if any additional info is required.

Cheers!
sameervg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 18:37   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Hi guys,

Konkan is one most favourite driving destinations for me and it's sheer joy in driving in konkan region. My hometown is Gaonkhadi which is near to Pawas I drove there many times in last five years.
Ah! I know Gavkhadi! I have relatives in that village. My own place is another 8-9 kms from there.
Small world!

Quote:
Please PM me if any additional info is required.
You need a few more posts before PM facility is activated for you. But let's catch up over a team-bhp meet. You seem based out of Thane. There are quite a few team-bhpians in Thane-Mulund area.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:49   #23
BHPian

Sure SDP,

Being you are from same area in Konkan we should workout even to drive together to native place.
Also with few more t-bhpians who are interested in driving to Konkan. I am sure most of t-bhpians will love to drive in konkan. IMO Few driving sections in unexplored Konkan is definitely comparable to north Indian tough driving sections.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Ah! I know Gavkhadi! I have relatives in that village. My own place is another 8-9 kms from there.
Small world!
My 'KulaDevi' is at Adivare around 15km from pawas. One beautiful part of Kokan this belt is.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:50   #25
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My 'KulaDevi' is at Adivare around 15km from pawas. One beautiful part of Kokan this belt is.
This is interesting! My parents are now settled in Kasheli, which is just before Adivare on the state-highway.

Yes, this part of Konkan is still not 'developed' fully and has a old-world charm to it.
Old 29th April 2014, 13:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone travelled on the Pune-Karad-Kokrud-Malkapur-Amba Ghat-Sakharpa-Pali-Ratnagiri route recently? I may drive to Ratnagiri this Saturday, and wanted to know how the road conditions are, once we leave NH4.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th April 2014 at 13:18.
Old 15th March 2017, 17:58   #27
BHPian

Update -

I traveled Pune - Ratnagiri - Pune via Kokrud route last weekend. Roads are good between Karad and Amba. Ghat roads get better. Sakharpa to Pali road is newly laid. Pali to Ratnagiri is a good highway.

The ride was enjoyable with overall travel time of 5.30 hrs. with one break.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 15:12   #28
BHPian

Hi guys this is a detailed road trip video from Khopoli (near Mumbai) to Ratnagiri via NH-17 covering almost every town, village and city on the way including Pali, Mangaon, Mahad, Chiplun. This complete video was shot and edited on iPhone SE.
I hope it will help people who are planning to take national highway 17 to Ratnagiri.
Date: 09 feb 2018
Car: Toyota Fortuner 3.0L full time 4wd
Toll paid: ₹0
Distance Covered: 275kms

nawabnabeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 15:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaafir View Post
Update -

I traveled Pune - Ratnagiri - Pune via Kokrud route last weekend. Roads are good between Karad and Amba. Ghat roads get better. Sakharpa to Pali road is newly laid. Pali to Ratnagiri is a good highway.

The ride was enjoyable with overall travel time of 5.30 hrs. with one break.
Any recent update on Road conditions for
Pune-Karad-Kokrud-Sakharpa-Pali-Lanja-Rajapur
There is also a road from Sakharpa to Lanja without a detour to Pali. Any status check on that road?

I always miss the turn for Kokrud after Karad. Is there a sign or some board I can refer to get off the highway for Pachad Fata ?
Old 9th April 2018, 15:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Any recent update on Road conditions for
Pune-Karad-Kokrud-Sakharpa-Pali-Lanja-Rajapur
There is also a road from Sakharpa to Lanja without a detour to Pali. Any status check on that road?

I always miss the turn for Kokrud after Karad. Is there a sign or some board I can refer to get off the highway for Pachad Fata ?

I was on this Pune - Kokrud - Ratnagiri road a couple of weeks back. The roads are all good upto Ratnagiri. The best of them is Sakharpa - Pali road. I did Pune - Ratnagiri in 6 hrs in the evening, with 45 minutes break for dinner in Amba. Return was late morning from Ratnagiri, took 5.30 hrs with a 45 minute lunch break.

If I am not wrong, I recollect seeing a small board of "Narendra Maharaj, Nanij" or similar just before the turn-off for Panchwad phata on Pune - Bangalore highway. It's easy to miss out, hence keep a close watch after Karad on the left hand side.

I did not travel on Pali - Lanja - Rajapur route or Sakharpa - Lanja route, hence no idea of the road conditions there.

Last edited by Musaafir : 9th April 2018 at 15:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks