Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2012, 18:04   #136
BHPian

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

I request the moderators to move this post if it is not appropriate here.

Guys-

After much consideration and arguments and research over net, I think I am nearly finalizing on Laura CR TDI 2.0 probably Elegance. Close behind is Jetta. My idea of putting Laura first was -
1. Fun to drive. I found Laura more comfortable to drive.
2. Back seat comfort for me was same as Jetta.
3. Slightly smaller backseat space in Laura? Well, myself am 5"4'. None who have remote chances of traveling in my car in near future are tall / fat. So should be good enough.
4. I think VW being slightly more premium brand, for the same thing they are charging a bit too much for their badge value than they should. As a consequence, their spares too will be more expensive. At the same time its not necessary that the quality of material they are giving should have exponentially better quality (refer to my another thread where I posted pics of my colleagues 10K run VW Jetta CL MT with a burnt clutch. Agreed, he might be having a faulty driving habit but still..).
5. Laura has been here for a longer time, hence better tested and tried.
6. Hoping that A. S . S might have improved a bit. After much research and contacting people who have purchased their Skodas from Mangalore dealer (Tafe access), I could not find much negative things (neither very positive.. just neutral).
7. Skoda SE's are pursuing deal with more energy. They have in fact sent the TD vehicle twice to my residence which is 60Kms away from the dealership (might have included TD for another potential customer from Udupi as well. But still good enough. They took my appointment, were there at my door bang on time, offered me TD of nearly 8 Kms twice)
8. I have total offer of 80K discount (Vs 25K of VW Jetta) Good enough? I dont know
9. Vehicle delivery is promised at a shorter time. Says max 2 weeks.
10. 4 Yr / 1,00,000 Km Warranty / Skoda shield. Some re-assurance. VW is not offering it yet. I think longer the warranty for these European cars, the better
11. Horror stories of A.S. S? well. Let me pray it doesnt happen with me. But what absolute re-assurance I have that it wont happen with others?
12. Re-sale value not a deal breaker. We don't know what is it going to be like after 5 yrs. Also sometimes outgoing vehicle is better than next coming.

I am yet to decide between MT / AT. But I think it makes better sense to go for AT?
I have a 110bhp 5 speed manual and a DSG 6 speed AT, 140bhp. I may have 6th gear in MT VW Jetta. But when will I get to use it? I heard some gears are tall.

I have put certain conditions that I will take it only if manufacturing date is within say 3-4 months. (Is it good enough?). Also I should get VIN well in advance. No registration without me inspecting it first. What other precautions I should take?
Old 12th August 2012, 18:23   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^ Read some where on the forum, current discounts upto 5 lakh available on Kizashi, if you can find a car nothing like that. With 5 lakh off Kizashi is one nice car.
This was reported by ACI in last months Issue and I have been following this thread closely as well and nobody has been able to get a confirmation from any Maruti dealer that this is the case.

Quote:
^Your other option is Laura TSI or VRS, depending on the level of kit + VRS has slightly stiffer suspension.

Both are fun to drive cars, with powerful engines and well sorted dynamics. Civic is also a nice car but too dated now and the engine is not as potent as the VRS.
I have been following your exploits and it seems you have had a great experience with your Laura so far - I believe its a recommend from you!! Since you are also based out of Gurgaon, how has been your experience with Giriraj Service? As of now I am planning to buy from Jai Auto and according to them they have a state of Art Service Center coming up in Sector-34 within the next 5-6 months.

Quote:
^Since you have included YEti Diesel in the list, also try out the base Jetta Diesel MT.
I had the Yeti in the shortlist because I really liked the car (not specific to diesels). The Jetta MT base model misses out on quite a few features.
Old 12th August 2012, 19:37   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which driver's car in 15 Lakhs? Skoda Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
Hi All,

It would be great if you folks can provide your inputs and also if you have heard discounts being offered on the vRS. I would love if I was able to fit the vRS somehow in my budget!!

Thanks,
Animesh

For your budget and requirements, the Laura TSI is an excellent choice. The suspension on the current Laura has been softened a bit compared to earlier model, but I don't think it has adversely affected the handling abilities of the car. The chassis and the suspension complement the power of the engine beautifully to reward the driver with a very good driving experience. From what I understand, Gurgaon doesn't boast of the smoothest roads in the country. I don't know your age profile. But if you are a family man, your family will sure appreciate the good ride the car offers.

The only mechanical difference between the vRS and the TSI, is a slightly stiffer set of springs. Rest of the extra money you pay is for the exterior kit and some extra features like sun roof, touch screen audio etc... So if you are sucker for such features you may want to stretch for a vRS.

If you are more keen on the vRS just for the better handling, then you can consider getting the TSI and getting aftermarket shocks like Bilsteins. It will save you a lot of money.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 20:36   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been following your exploits and it seems you have had a great experience with your Laura so far - I believe its a recommend from you!! Since you are also based out of Gurgaon, how has been your experience with Giriraj Service? As of now I am planning to buy from Jai Auto and according to them they have a state of Art Service Center coming up in Sector-34 within the next 5-6 months.
Giriraj and Jai Auto are owned by the same person, existing after sales service through Giriraj is nothing great, Fahrenheit Delhi is told be very good. Another service centre for Gurgaon would be much better. The fact is i never had to visit them for anything apart from scheduled service, i can live with this kind of support, leagues ahead of any Tata Fiat service centre in NCR.

Remember with every car you pick there comes a set of compromises, the car with the best support might not be the best car, the best car might not have the best support, a mediocre car might have mediocre support.

For Reliability, TSI engine has been around for quite some time now and i haven't heard of single serious issue. It does gulp some engine oil in initial phase but that is normal. Spares might not be cheapest but remember you get lots of components shared with much more expensive cars, a drive experience no other cheap but loaded car might dream of.

Quote:
I had the Yeti in the shortlist because I really liked the car (not specific to diesels). The Jetta MT base model misses out on quite a few features.
Just TD the Diesel, chances are you may not want Petrol anymore. The Diesel is quite revv happy and very broad powerband, with the advantage of much better Fuel economy and cheaper fuel. With Diesel you will get much superior resale value, so the extra money spent will be reimbursed at the time of sale, you might the interest too But since your usage is low, TSI is one brilliant engine.

BHPian from Gurgaon- Bloodred owns a TSI, check with him for details. Also, check our Gurgaon Quick Meets thread, we have quite many Skoda car owners, join us for a meet and you might get idea about the what to expect.

For VRS check akshay1234's thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th August 2012 at 20:38.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 00:25   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
If you are more keen on the vRS just for the better handling, then you can consider getting the TSI and getting aftermarket shocks like Bilsteins. It will save you a lot of money.
I am 32 Some of the features like a Touch-screen HU is something I will need while others are good-to-have and not must-haves. Going for aftermarket shocks will have to wait till I am within the warranty period. I guess I will invalidate the warranty if I get aftermarket shocks.

Quote:
Giriraj and Jai Auto are owned by the same person, existing after sales service through Giriraj is nothing great, Fahrenheit Delhi is told be very good. Another service centre for Gurgaon would be much better. The fact is i never had to visit them for anything apart from scheduled service, i can live with this kind of support, leagues ahead of any Tata Fiat service centre in NCR.
I guess if your car only has to go to the service center for scheduled service, nothing like it. It also has been good going with my Ford Fusion till now and haven't really faced any issues with Ford A.S.S. while I have heard many people bad-mouth Ford Service.

Quote:
Just TD the Diesel, chances are you may not want Petrol anymore. The Diesel is quite revv happy and very broad powerband, with the advantage of much better Fuel economy and cheaper fuel. With Diesel you will get much superior resale value, so the extra money spent will be reimbursed at the time of sale, you might the interest too But since your usage is low, TSI is one brilliant engine.
I will probably hold on to the car for a pretty long time so ain't thinking about resale value. I did TD the Laura Diesel MT and while it is peppy and nice, it does fall far behind the TSI. Though the Yeti Diesel is much better and I would say comparable to the TSI due to its extra horses.

Quote:
BHPian from Gurgaon- Bloodred owns a TSI, check with him for details. Also, check our Gurgaon Quick Meets thread, we have quite many Skoda car owners, join us for a meet and you might get idea about the what to expect.
I never stumbled upon this thread, and will surely join in for the next one but I guess I will have the Laura before that. Am planning to get this within the next week or two.

Quote:
For VRS check akshay1234's thread.
Yea I already have, amazing thread it is! And robinmahanta's thread as well - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...0-bhp-tap.html
Old 13th August 2012, 17:24   #141
BHPian

Just came back from Elantra Test drive (got one as the dealer is close friend-straight off the transport truck even before it was washed)-frankly speaking it was a let down.On bad roads rides like Verna. Missus straight away said no to the unpremium interiors (she had earlier sat in the Jetta-my mistake).Well now have to either up the budget to Jetta comfortline (trendline is in budget) or go for cruze.How stressful to buy a car nowadays.
Old 17th August 2012, 14:50   #142
BHPian

So guys, I will be booking a Skoda Laura CR 2.0 TDI Elegance MT today. I heard from dealer that there is one available with recentmost manufacture date. Capuccino beige.
My thoughts were -
1. Let me venture into European vehicle territory which is unknown to me till now.
2. Horror stories about Skoda apart, I found that Skoda dealer took trouble to follow up after I test drove the vehicle, offered generous discounts.
3. Laura salesman was the only one who gave me an assessment sheet after both the test drives I took, he wanted my input regarding many vehicle performance parameters, level of knowledge of SE, cleanliness of demo vehicle etc - impressive. Probably Skoda is pulling up their socks and have realized the competition.
4. The way I drive, I found 110ps offering me sufficient pull. Of course I would have preferred 140ps here in MT too. But I can adjust to this. Rather I felt the solid planted feeling it offers and build quality mattered more to me. Driving was sheer pleasure
I hope for the best
dezrskb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 16:51   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
So guys, I will be booking a Skoda Laura CR 2.0 TDI Elegance MT today. I heard from dealer that there is one available with recentmost manufacture date. Capuccino beige
Congrats dezrskb. I booked a Laura TSI Ambiente yestesterday as well! Will probably be getting delivery of the car next saturday/sunday provided I am able to find out (and rent) an empty parking slot by then.
Old 19th August 2012, 19:27   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats dezrskb. I booked a Laura TSI Ambiente yestesterday as well! Will probably be getting delivery of the car next saturday/sunday provided I am able to find out (and rent) an empty parking slot by then.
Hi animesh,
Good to hear from another prospective Laura owner. I have booked mine yesterday. Heard from the dealer that I will have one manufactured in July (this month being August, I guess that's as close as I can get). My car may reach me probably by this month end (28/29th as per dealer). Hopefully will get my VIN tomorrow evening as car will be allotted then. Do post your D-Day experiences and photos once your car arrives. Best of Luck !
Old 20th August 2012, 12:40   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi animesh,
Good to hear from another prospective Laura owner. I have booked mine yesterday. Heard from the dealer that I will have one manufactured in July (this month being August, I guess that's as close as I can get). My car may reach me probably by this month end (28/29th as per dealer). Hopefully will get my VIN tomorrow evening as car will be allotted then. Do post your D-Day experiences and photos once your car arrives. Best of Luck !
Thanks dezrskb, Now that I have done the booking we are having thoughts about why we should not get a vRS Instead Looks like it might be a vRS though the dealer is encouraging us more to get the booked Ambiente only as they need to clear old stock. Negotiating now.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:59   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks dezrskb, Now that I have done the booking we are having thoughts about why we should not get a vRS Instead Looks like it might be a vRS though the dealer is encouraging us more to get the booked Ambiente only as they need to clear old stock. Negotiating now.
After a lot of thought processing, finally decided on the TSI Ambiente and drove a Black Ambiente home yesterday. Time for some accesssories! Thanks a lot everybody for your comments.

Animesh
Old 5th September 2012, 12:02   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Am confused, may be a test drive of the elantra will help me in deciding how much I am missing in terms of driving pleasure but I was pretty convinced that I want to go for laura now I am in two minds.

What do you guys say?
I thought you were pretty much decided on the Laura. IMHO, the Skoda horror stories are a thing of the past. We have quite a lot of satisfied 1.8 TSi owners on the forum (and now quite a few vRS owners as well). And if the discounts are good, just go with the heart’s decision

Note: Replying here, as this is quite OT on review threads.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 13:10   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I thought you were pretty much decided on the Laura. IMHO, the Skoda horror stories are a thing of the past. We have quite a lot of satisfied 1.8 TSi owners on the forum (and now quite a few vRS owners as well). And if the discounts are good, just go with the heart’s decision

Note: Replying here, as this is quite OT on review threads.
Hi VB! First, thanks for discussing this topic here, I did not realized that I went OT. You are right I had pretty much finalized the Laura, but suddenly this confusion about Elantra came up. Pasting the points that I mentioned in the Elantra test drive thread from where you have quoted me:

My mind says (or practical me says):
1. Elantra's lifecycle has just started, laura is nearing the end of its lifecycle
2. If I will mostly be driving in the city, then laura's extra power may not be felt
3. The features that the elantra packs in are outstanding, skoda has skimped on features in the laura
4. Overall, elantra should be easy on pocket than the laura
5. Its the best dynamically sound Hyundai
6. Much better rear seat as compared to laura and more spacious interiors (point added here)

My heart says:
1. Laura's engine is the reason you are going for it
2. End of the lifecycle or not - the 2 lakhs discount going around will more than make up for it
3. It will bring a smile on your face everytime you drive it
4. European build - not yet experienced

You are right, the experience of Bhpians with the TSI has been great, so I can take that as a BIG positive for laura. Though the package that elantra is offering I am tempted to rethink and thats why the confusion.

I know if Laura it is then I will be driving a new car by next month and if its elantra then I will postpone my purchase to next year
Old 5th September 2012, 13:25   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Hi VB! First, thanks for discussing this topic here, I did not realized that I went OT. You are right I had pretty much finalized the Laura, but suddenly this confusion about Elantra came up. Pasting the points that I mentioned in the Elantra test drive thread from where you have quoted me:
That 1.8 TSI monster engine should be a good enough reason for going in the Laura way. And if you plan to keep the car for 5+ years, the end of lifecycle bit should not be much of a problem.

If you are looking for petrol options only, why not do a TD of the Jetta 1.4TSI? On paper it maybe just 122bhp engine, but it’s pretty competent and well-accepted in other markets.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:26   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That 1.8 TSI monster engine should be a good enough reason for going in the Laura way. And if you plan to keep the car for 5+ years, the end of lifecycle bit should not be much of a problem.

If you are looking for petrol options only, why not do a TD of the Jetta 1.4TSI? On paper it maybe just 122bhp engine, but it’s pretty competent and well-accepted in other markets.
I agree the 1.8 TSI engine is a reason good enough to buy the laura. Yes I plan to keep the car for more than 5 years (my esteem is with me since last ~ 8 years) and whatever images of the 2013 laura that I see, I feel the current laura is a better looker.

Regarding Jetta, I am thinking of test driving the car, though jetta trendline itself costs ~ 16.22 lakhs OTR in Mumbai, almost more than 1.5 lakhs higher than the laura so I am not too keen. But, I will still test drive.

Today I spoke to maruti guys, for Kizashi after hearing some huge discounts on it. Lets see if I get some positive response from them, however, this is an outlier.

After your reply, I am again bending towards the laura and save a good amount of money over the elantra SX and a decent sum over the elantra S.

Any idea if skoda has manufactured any TSIs in 2012. As of now am hearing only 2011 manufactured models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks