Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 07:39   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

I have finally decided to go in for the Safari Storme 4WD. The revamp has made it a better vehicle. (Harmon Kardon ICE, Blue tooth phone connectivity), better dashboard, reduced running costs, a better looking front end, a larger capacity fuel tank, better driveability, a better clutch and 10 BHP additional power, all at the same price makes it a great buy.

I prefer the understated interiors of the vehicle to those of the XUV 500. It reminds me of a tag line for Nissan Xterra from 2001 -" Everything you need , nothing you don't"

The simpler instrument panel gives you all the informtion you need. It has limited num ber of keys, which are very user friendly. You don't have to take your eyes off the road for too long. On the other hand, I find the XUV's instumentation and plethora of keys very distracting.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 30th May 2015 at 07:43.
Old 20th September 2015, 23:43   #482

C2 Top End or D1 Base?

Hello, fellow BHPians. I'm currently researching new cars since I plan to get rid of my 2006 Sonata Gold when I get back to India next month. My budget is 17-18L.

My usage will be approximately 500kms a month. We are a 3 member family and have a Cocker Spaniel as well.

Here's a list of cars I've owned in the past:-

Mumbai

1. 2002 Honda Accord 2.3 VTI (2002-2005)
2. 2003 Opel Astra Club 1.6L (2003-2006)
3. 2005 Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair (2005-2011)
4. 2005 Hyundai Sonata GOLD 2.0 (2005-Present)

Los Angeles

1. 2011 Ford Mustang V6 (2012-Present)

I've been researching new D1 segment sedans to buy when I'm back in Mumbai next month. I'm currently torn between The Toyota Corolla (G Petrol), Hyundai Elantra (1.8S) and if I really stretch my budget, a Skoda Octavia (1.4 Ambition TSi). I'm really impressed with the Hyundai Creta {1.6 SX (O)} as well. So much so that I might even consider buying my first SUV because of how feature loaded and stylish it is. Are there any members who currently own The Creta? Any feedback is welcome. (I read Rehaan's experience and it only motivated me further).

HOWEVER, I recently read GTO's brilliant thread on how the C2 segment offers more or less 85% of what the D1 segment offers at roughly 60% of the price. You can read said article here: (Highly recommend it for Sedan enthusiasts)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html

GTO's words really resonated with me and I realized I could very well go for a Honda City (VX), Skoda Rapid (Elegance Plus Black Package AT), VW Vento (Highline Petrol AT) or Hyundai Verna { I.6 VTVT S(O) } which are all top end variants that are loaded with features. And the icing on the cake is that I'd be saving a cool 6-7L that I could use on other investments.

I know I pretty much have come up with a mixed bag of options but I am just extremely confused at the moment. I'd like some feedback on which car in which segment would the best bank for my buck, in your opinion? I'm looking for a good combination of sophistication and pep.

Thank you in advance and keep revving, folks!
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:07   #483
BHPian

Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

Guys ,almost the same query.
My friend wants to buy a sedan. Up to 15 lakhs on road price. Preferably petrol. But diesels also welcome. Alternate 4 months usage and 2 months idle. Due to mostly lacklustre petrols in that range,I suggested city ivtec and linea tjet and then vento tdi.he ruled out dsg,skodas,city (ugly rear according to him). Usage pattern is high usage when he's here and car will be idle when he is not.
1. Can we buy a tjet now?is it in production now? And is it safe enough to buy from old inventory ?
2.i have tried pushing his budget to fluence diesel too as he wants classy looks and luxury feeling. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Resale value not important as he plans to keep it for as long as possible. He will be settling in chennai or pondicherry. So service is also not a problem regarding fiat and Renault.

Last edited by printh : 22nd September 2015 at 10:25.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:35   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
My friend wants to buy a sedan. Up to 15 lakhs on road price. Preferably petrol. But diesels also welcome. Alternate 4 months usage and 2 months idle. Due to mostly lacklustre petrols in that range,I suggested city ivtec and linea tjet and then vento tdi.he ruled out dsg,skodas,city (ugly rear according to him). Usage pattern is high usage when he's here and car will be idle when he is not.
1. Can we buy a tjet now?is it in production now? And is it safe enough to buy from old inventory ?
2.i have tried pushing his budget to fluence diesel too as he wants classy looks and luxury feeling. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Resale value not important as he plans to keep it for as long as possible. He will be settling in chennai or pondicherry. So service is also not a problem regarding fiat and Renault.
T-Jet is still available and there may soon even be an Abarth version of the Linea

The Renault Fluence makes a good case for itself. He could also check out the Octavia or Jetta if he is okay with VAG service quality. Remember that 15lakhs isn't enough anymore for most of the D-Segment sedans.

Is your friend open to looking at a used car? If so, then a 2 liter automatic Fluence or a 2.4 liter manual Kizashi, make for good options. The Kiz obviously being the more fun option of the two

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd September 2015 at 14:39.
Old 28th September 2015, 14:38   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Is your friend open to looking at a used car? If so, then a 2 liter automatic Fluence or a 2.4 liter manual Kizashi, make for good options. The Kiz obviously being the more fun option of the two
Is it still possible to get hold of a Kizashi? And would that actually be a sensible choice? I have read your ownership posts of the Kizashi and I think it turned out to be a lemon in your case. But the car in general was brilliant. I would really really like to own a pre-worshiped Kiz!

The thing is I want to upgrade from my SX4 because the VXi model has no air bags and ABS and since I do Pune-Mumbai often, I really feel it's a must. But upgrading from the SX4 is seriously not easy, the car really does drive well especially on highways.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 28th September 2015 at 14:39.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:13   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
At 15L OTR, he might just be able to get a Jetta 1.4TSi, Elantra S, Altis G as well - maybe a little bit here or there, but definitely worth the stretch.
The Linea is still in production, as is the T-JET - however given that the car will remain idle for a while, it makes more sense to pick up a vehicle with good A.S.S. and with extended warranty.
With that in mind, the Corolla Altis & Elantra would seem like good bets.
Old 28th September 2015, 23:19   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Is it still possible to get hold of a Kizashi? And would that actually be a sensible choice? I have read your ownership posts of the Kizashi and I think it turned out to be a lemon in your case. But the car in general was brilliant. I would really really like to own a pre-worshiped Kiz!

The thing is I want to upgrade from my SX4 because the VXi model has no air bags and ABS and since I do Pune-Mumbai often, I really feel it's a must. But upgrading from the SX4 is seriously not easy, the car really does drive well especially on highways.
A used one, sure. They no longer import new units to the country. Woah hold on there. I haven't uploaded any ownership report yet. You must be referring to Rockporiom's ownership experience. I am proud to say that mine, has been absolutely stellar Car performs amazingly, the sheer quality with which it is built has to be experienced to be believed; having done close to 50k kms, there is not a single rattle in my car when compared to my friend's Laura which if you listen closely after 15k kms, has minor vibrations in the cabin. The car is supremely safe and even though it was designed in 2010, won the top safety pick plus from the IIHS beating cars like the 2014 C-Class, 2014 Passat, 2014 A4 and 2014 3 series at the notoriously tough small frontal overlap crash test. The car out-brakes nearly everything in its class and the chassis out-grips most as well, so no doubt you will completely forget the driving experience offered by the SX4 Seats are supremely comfy and even though it is a low car, it is surprisingly easy to get in and out of. ASS while mostly incompetent (would suggest you find the best service center in your city and go only to that), treats you like a king (have been treated to several special favors on many occasions that would drive even the most die-hard fan of Maruti's service, green with jealousy). My only gripe would be that while the car may seem comfy even on slightly rough roads, it is at the end of the day, a low-slung D-segment sedan so one is expected to treat it with care and be careful on bad roads.

Strongly recommend the car and am always there to help you find and diagnose the right example

Cheers!
Old 29th September 2015, 07:26   #488
BHPian

Quote:
A used one, sure. They no longer import new units to the country. Woah hold on there. I haven't uploaded any ownership report yet. You must be referring to Rockporiom's ownership experience. I am proud to say that mine, has been absolutely stellar Car performs amazingly, the sheer quality with which it is built has to be experienced to be believed; having done close to 50k kms, there is not a single rattle in my car when compared to my friend's Laura which if you listen closely after 15k kms, has minor vibrations in the cabin. <contd>

Strongly recommend the car and am always there to help you find and diagnose the right example

Cheers!
Sorry I ended up mixing a few reviews and threads here and there
Such a positive response makes me feel really good about the car. I've always been a fan of it, honestly it was an exceptional package and a CBU just meant sheer brilliance in the built quality and the overall product.

I did try to look online for second hand ones. But I can hardly see 3-4 models being sold. So the chances of finding one that's treated well would be extremely difficult.

Service aspect shouldn't be a problem in Pune. And I stick to one particular A.S.S so taking care of the car shouldn't be an issue (that's if I do manage to get my hands on one!)

Overall it seems to be a difficult choice, getting the Kiz, so what would be a good, ideal, substantial upgrade from the SX4?

Thanks in advance !
Old 29th September 2015, 09:07   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall it seems to be a difficult choice, getting the Kiz, so what would be a good, ideal, substantial upgrade from the SX4?

Thanks in advance !
Well you could look at the 1.4tsi Jetta, 1.8tsi Laura, 2.0 CVT Fluence. Jetta and Laura ought to be the easiest to find however it is upto you whether you are comfortable with VAGs cost of spares and service quality. A less substantial yet still brilliant upgrade would be a Mitsubishi Cedia The Outlander is also a great car if you like SUVs which then brings up the rock solid Grand Vitara. That said, I can safely say, without any bias, acknowledging cheap bits like shared power window switches, that the Kiz will feel like the biggest upgrade from your SX4.

Anyway, whichever car you decide to go for, remember that buying a used car requires patience. Never dive into a deal too early and take your time finding the right one

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th September 2015 at 09:08.
Old 29th September 2015, 09:28   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Well you could look at the 1.4tsi Jetta, 1.8tsi Laura, 2.0 CVT Fluence. Jetta and Laura ought to be the easiest to find however it is upto you whether you are comfortable with VAGs cost of spares and service quality. <contd>

Anyway, whichever car you decide to go for, remember that buying a used car requires patience. Never dive into a deal too early and take your time finding the right one

Cheers!
No offence to anyone, but after the whole emissions scandal coming to light, I won't even bother to look at VW & Skoda! Already plagued with reliability issues, I was never in favor of VW and Skoda. Though I was still considering the Polo GT (TSI or TDI) but not anymore.

Mitsubishi, just because of A.S.S, I personally would prefer to stay away.

And I know by saying all that, I have literally limited my options.

So at the end of the day, the models that keep coming to my head - second hand Cruze or the new 1.6 S-cross (buy in early 2016 through CSD and try to get the best deal possible)

Infact, dad and I prefer buying a second hand car since you really do get some amazing deals but yeah requires a lot of patience. But when one clicks, it just does! And I trust my father with second hand car decisions with his experience of inspecting thousands of vehicles while serving in the defence forces and also overhauling tanks

So the search continues. Let's see where I end up !
Old 29th September 2015, 12:11   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well you could look at the 1.4tsi Jetta, 1.8tsi Laura, 2.0 CVT Fluence.
Is there a 2.0 CVT now? I thought they are now just doing the 1.5 dCi Fluence in India.
Old 29th September 2015, 12:13   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No offence to anyone, but after the whole emissions scandal coming to light, I won't even bother to look at VW & Skoda! Already plagued with reliability issues, I was never in favor of VW and Skoda. Though I was still considering the Polo GT (TSI or TDI) but not anymore.
Off-topic but why not? Both the VAG cars suggested above are turbo petrols, not the TDI engines that landed the company in such a soup. As a VW petrol owner, I have never been more relieved since the scandal broke!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 12:59   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is there a 2.0 CVT now? I thought they are now just doing the 1.5 dCi Fluence in India.
I believe Ishaan is talking of pre-owned.
IIRC the Fluence 2.0CVT has been discontinued. However, if there is any available in stock - Renault is offering mouth watering discounts on them.

Personally, at 15L - I would stretch the extra amount and pick up a new vehicle with full warranty and peace of mind, unless there is an extra-ordinary deal - I glanced upon a FL pre-gen Camry with less than 5Kkm on the odo going for around this much on Carwale.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 01:46   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
No there isn't, just like the 1.4 tsi Jetta, Laura, Outlander, Cedia, Kizashi and GrandVitara, I mentioned all these cars as used buys. They all fit around the 10lakh mark, leaving a very healthy budget for maintenance thus were the most VFM buys I could think of

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks