Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 08:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!

For 60000 kms per year, you need a very reliable car. Among all the options being considered, Altis is the most reliable car and with possible the best rear seat comfort. It also comes with 3 years / 100000 kms warranty. If you think it is bit pricey, think of the savings you will make in maintenance. It is not a flashy car but a very efficient no nonsense car.

The only drawback is the small diesel engine. That is a call you have to take.

My 2nd choice would be Cruze and Aria. I will stay away from Laura.
akj53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 08:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

60000 km's means more than 150 km's a day on an average and for that kind of running you need a super reliable car. You have quite a few choices -

Innova - ( Ruled Out as you do not want one )
Altis - Nice BUT way too underpowered engine.

Cruze - Excellent highway runner BUT for such mileage I am not sure.

Laura - would be my pick out of all these.

Also look for a second hand Fortuner as there are quite a few now in the market at about 15 lacs or so.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 08:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
For 60000 kms per year, you need a very reliable car. Among all the options being considered, Altis is the most reliable car and with possible the best rear seat comfort. It also comes with 3 years / 100000 kms warranty. If you think it is bit pricey, think of the savings you will make in maintenance. It is not a flashy car but a very efficient no nonsense car.

The only drawback is the small diesel engine. That is a call you have to take.

My 2nd choice would be Cruze and Aria. I will stay away from Laura.
Would you be able to comment on Aria base-model price? Is it more expensive that Cruze LTZ? Altis fits my budget, but it seems overpriced for the features it misses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
60000 km's means more than 150 km's a day on an average and for that kind of running you need a super reliable car. You have quite a few choices -

Innova - ( Ruled Out as you do not want one )
Altis - Nice BUT way too underpowered engine.

Cruze - Excellent highway runner BUT for such mileage I am not sure.

Laura - would be my pick out of all these.

Also look for a second hand Fortuner as there are quite a few now in the market at about 15 lacs or so.
Can you tell me if the Skoda Laura Ambiente is more expensive than Cruze LTZ? I love the Fortuner, but am not sure if going for a used Fortuner would make that much sense. Dilemma.
Old 10th May 2011, 08:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think the ambiente version is a tad bit more expensive than the Cruze LTZ. I have a friend who bought the Laura Ambiente a few months back at about 16 lacs OTR ( this was the variant which was the second best - diesel engine ).

He has now booked a Cruze as well and I think after all discounts it is costing him nearly 14.5 lacs. He has taken the new one with black interiors and sunroof - manual gearshift.

I quite like the Laura and feel it is a much better car. Also Skoda horror stories have started coming down and I have not heard of a lemon skoda car in months. I think with the newer skodas - superb, laura, fabia they have had the problems finish.

Skodas are known to be very efficient cars and can easily clock high mileage.

TD both. I am sure you can narrow it down easily.

Also the dealers are offering very good discounts at this time.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
How much is the base Tata Aria? Is the reliability an issue with Aria, like with some other Tata passenger cars? Why have the sales been so low?! I was apprehensive about a 15 lac + Tata. I might be wrong through.
There are at least half a dozen Aria ownership threads on Team-BHP, and they seem to be all running fairly reliably. Why don't you look up those threads and pm the owners for a first-hand feedback?

Edit: With back-seat comfort a priority, I'd prefer the Aria to the Cruze. Any day.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th May 2011 at 09:15.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 09:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
There are at least half a dozen Aria ownership threads on Team-BHP, and they seem to be all running fairly reliably. Why don't you look up those threads and pm the owners for a first-hand feedback?

Edit: With back-seat comfort a priority, I'd prefer the Aria to the Cruze. Any day.
Thanks for your reply. I just seem skeptical due to its low sales. I will check out the Tata Aria today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I think the ambiente version is a tad bit more expensive than the Cruze LTZ. I have a friend who bought the Laura Ambiente a few months back at about 16 lacs OTR ( this was the variant which was the second best - diesel engine ).

He has now booked a Cruze as well and I think after all discounts it is costing him nearly 14.5 lacs. He has taken the new one with black interiors and sunroof - manual gearshift.

I quite like the Laura and feel it is a much better car. Also Skoda horror stories have started coming down and I have not heard of a lemon skoda car in months. I think with the newer skodas - superb, laura, fabia they have had the problems finish.

Skodas are known to be very efficient cars and can easily clock high mileage.

TD both. I am sure you can narrow it down easily.

Also the dealers are offering very good discounts at this time.
Let me enquire about the Laura today. 16L would take it out of my reach though. I started with a 12 L budget, and stretched it to 15. Personally, I know a few Skoda owners who have been happy with their purchase.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Laura Ambiente MT should fit your requirements pretty well (not sure of the on-road price in Surat though). And with the Skoda Shield package, it should serve you well for 4 years.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:40   #23
BANNED

I think Ford Endeavor would be a good choice, it comes with some good warranty too and is a cruiser on the highways.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Cruze all the way!!

Cruze is just too good when it comes to looks, features and power. Ofcourse, the rear seat of Cruze is not a winner of any sort, but still out of Laura and Cruze, I would surely recommend Cruze. My friend owns a Chevy vehicle for last 2-3 years and the A.S.S. has been good, if not the best.

I am not saying that Laura is not as powerful as Cruze, but there is a bit of turbo lag with Laura, which is minimal in Cruze. Laura's USP is the extremely solid build quality. Nothing can beat the Skodas in this department. The A.S.S. can be a concern, but haven't heard of any major issues in the recent past.

I think besides these 2 obvious choices, there is nothing much to choose from. Sonata, Jetta are on their way out. Scorpio, Safari are very good, but then IMO they are one class below and also in a different category altogether.

Do keep us posted about your TDs and final decision.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:59   #25
BHPian

Since back seat comfort is your priority, do check out the cruze and laura in person first. They aren't exactly known to be very spacious at the rear. In fact from what i have read, the Optra Magnum has among the best rear benches in the segment. You save a bit of money too and it falls nicely within your original 12 lakh budget. Check out all these cars in person to judge for yourself.

And as a lot of people have already stated, for highway driving an Aria would probably be better than a Sedan anyway. Do check it out to see if it meets your requirements. A pre-owned Fortuner(though resale will probably be very high) or Endy would also be good choices.

Let me throw one more option into the mix. Buy a pre-owned civic for 8 lakhs. You'll save 7 lakhs, which can go towards buying fuel to finance your high running!
Old 10th May 2011, 11:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Would you be able to comment on Aria base-model price? Is it more expensive that Cruze LTZ? Altis fits my budget, but it seems overpriced for the features it misses.
Check the price of Aria from Tata dealership.

Reliability comes from better quality parts which in turn costs money. World wide Toyota is the largest selling brand and is considered a high quality VFM product. In a segment where limited choices are available, we have to select whatever best is available.

However I suggest that you go and check all the cars personally. That is the best way to make up your mind.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:40   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I haven't really thought over a pre-worshipped example.
And neither should even consider it.
All your good options are within your budget, why even think of going that route?

PS: sonata transform...

Last edited by mayankk : 10th May 2011 at 11:42.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Do remember that only the Laura AT gets 140bhp.

The Aria price ( ex-showroom at Surat).
Attached Thumbnails
Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!-aria.jpg  

Old 10th May 2011, 12:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

@mathranik
Just check out the back seat of the Cruze. If you think you are fine with the space and comfort, look no further. Chevy certainly has more service centers than the Skoda. In addition, there are no horror stories reported for the Cruze. City driving is very slightly irritating but on the highways, its the king of the segment in your budget.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:36   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

My pick would be Laura but not sure of the serivce network there.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks