Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 16:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic

You have not mentioned your financing option. All cash deal, buy a Civic. Mumbai civics go for much less than 10 laks. For next 10 years, bullet proof car!
Old 6th June 2011, 16:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic

Our OHC VTEC will be 10 years old this September and trust me, it's just gotten better over the years.

No squeaks or rattles, no unwanted vibrations, no suspension issues, mind blowing fuel economy.

Prob the biggest factor here is that it was a first hand vehicle, driven within it's limits and serviced regularly.

So if you're looking at a 10 year stint, increase your budget and get a brand new Civic.

You wont regret it.

Shan2nu
Old 6th June 2011, 20:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering both the cars, their current resale and overall quality, a one or two year old Civic should make sense.

10 years is nothing for a Honda provided you maintain it well. Remember the OHC? I still see 10 year + examples running fine. And, yes, a Civic is a step or two ahead of the City in almost all aspects, except may be FE.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

So if you're looking at a 10 year stint, increase your budget and get a brand new Civic.

You wont regret it.

Shan2nu
Since the new Civic is around the corner, buying a new Civic of current generation may not be very good idea.

While Civic is way ahead in terms of power, build quality, feel good factor, there are few practical aspects, City will score better:
  • FE (City should get at least 2-3 kmpl more. Translates to huge savings in 10 years)
  • Boot space (500+ litrs against 400+ of civic)
  • City drivability - with higher seating position, narrow width and smaller tuning radius. Low end torque must be far lesser in city.
Old 6th June 2011, 23:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to go for the Civic, You get a car which is one segment above & will have running costs similar to the City. If I was in your shoes I would have gone for the Civic.

As for the new Civic(Which I see on road in US), it actually looks a generation or two older than the existing one (in India) in terms of the design.
Old 7th June 2011, 09:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Civic all the way. It's so funny, I was just advising my friend the same thing! His budget is around 9 lac and I told him to go used Civic way eyes closed.

I have driven both these cars and believe me, there is no comparison: the Civic is a better car by miles! And you only have to check the pre-worshipped Civic threads of GTO, dot and others to see what a great value proposition it is!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 10:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
You wont regret it.
Shan2nu
I have alredy stretched my budget to max 9-10 beyond that would be suicidal

I was reading the civics thread on service maintainance do's and dont's and read some stories on bad engine mounts which cost around 8ks to replace.How to identify same in a used civic.

thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 11:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Compared to your M800, both City and Civic will be more expensive to maintain. As your usage is < 500km/month, the fuel consumption will not matter much. But there are things like insurance and regular service costs which are way above the 800 league.

As you want to keep it for 10 years, go for a new vehicle, unless you know the older vehicle's service and driving history. An initially indifferently maintained vehicle will be expensive to maintain in the long run, and Honda spares are expensive.

Actually over a 10 year ownership horizon, the best buys are the cars which have low resale value (but are well built), especially the diesel ones. You get better discounts, and with proper maintenance they will note be a long term drain on your resources.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:36   #24
BHPian

You can tell me which car will have the brand value of a Honda and will be relatively trouble free and have lower maintainance for the next 10 years and i would consider it.I do not like the looks of the Toyota's and don't want a hatch back.[/quote]

Well, I was justing looking at the direction Honda is travelling in India, and it doesn't quite look very promising. But in your case, you're planning to keep the car for 10 years, so resale won't be an issue. And i dare not comment about how petrol prices will escalate in the coming 10 years!! That's not a factor to be neglected even if you drive only 500 km a month.
Old 7th June 2011, 14:04   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I was reading the civics thread on service maintainance do's and dont's and read some stories on bad engine mounts which cost around 8ks to replace.How to identify same in a used civic.
When you buy a used car, please be prepared to spend some rupees in bringing her up to shape. If every used car was like a brand new car, then they wouldn't be so cheap in the first place, would they . Give you an example : Before I took delivery of my pre-worshipped OHC Vtec & the Civic, I got them completely serviced, even replacing some parts that perhaps would have worked just fine. The pre-delivery Civic service cost me a li'l less than 10K. Net result : In the 1st year of ownership, one visit to the Honda workshop for a scheduled service.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 19:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is a very tough one indeed. Honda cars easily survive 10 yrs - no any doubt about that..

But a used car doesnt necessarily mean pre-worshipped unless you are buying from a known source.

If I could stretch, I would definitely go buy a brand new Civic..
Else would go with brand new City.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

sumeethaldankar why not try the VW Vento TDi Tredline. If you are going to keep your car for 10 yrs or more, the cost of petrol would have appreciated way too much say Rs. 100/lts whereas diesel wont much by margin.
VW diesel engine if maintained properly can easily do lacs of kilometres. Civics have low fuel efficiency(My cousins 2008 Civic EMT gives 7 kmpl in Bombay's traffic) and ingress/egress would be problem because of its low seating. One more being its soft suspension and low GC of 170 mm easily bottom out on speed breakers.
And its a myth that a diesel engine cars needs to be driven regularly, it is not. I have a VW Vento TDi Highline which has done 800 Kms only in a period of 2.5 months. The torque rush is awesome and Vento can easily outrun the Civic. Diesel cars are the future. Just my 2 cents.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:00   #28
BHPian

Completely agree with GTO.

Buy a pre owned Civic from Auto terrace & get a full checkup/fluid changes + interior cleaning + polishing done.

You can use the car for 10 years with only yearly periodic maintenance for the kind of usage you foresee.

But you know what? I'm sure you will use the Civic a lot more than 800.

If you are open to other cars than City/Civic, Diesel is the way to go & you have infinite brand new options in the mentioned price band.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 9th June 2011 at 13:03.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

Interesting.

Generally people buy used cars for the purpose of either using it for a reasonable period of time, say 5 years, or turning it into some sort of project. But we have here, someone who wants to pick up a used car and intends to use it for 10 years.

I'd say that there is no better car than a Honda.

They are arguably, the most reliable cars money can buy.

But, 10 years is along time, even for a brand new car. So unless you find a well-cared-for example with not too many numbers on the ODO, I would suggest you get yourself a brand new car.

Second-hand cars are often unpredictable. You don't know who it has been with and what it has seen over the years. Buying a used car for the purpose of driving it for 5-7 years is fine. But 10 years is a long time. Not only will you have to change running parts sooner (like brake-pads and tyres), making a used car last another 10 years of driving requires dedication.

You will need to set aside more time to get the car running like the way it should, than you'd require for a brand new one. A Honda is the right way to go. Their engines are known to last lakhs of kilometers, needing a few routine services.

So my take on this: Unless you find yourself a well-cared-for, well maintained, low-mileage Honda, don't buy a used car that you intend to drive for the next 10 years.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2011 at 13:21.
Old 9th June 2011, 14:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a poll would have been a better bet on this one as there are only 2 cars that are being looked at.

Nonetheless, like many on this thread, I too would suggest a used Civic (assuming you have a budget of 10 lacs SANS any 2nd hand car loan in equation). Quality, longevity and all aside, the Civic is fantastic ......... inside and out.

I remember reading "ShuvC's" Civic ownership thread (he bought his car brand new). He too wanted a car that he could keep for a long period (maybe not 10 years but 5+ definitely). One very pertinent point he made was that he did not want to buy a relatively affordable car (maybe a Honda city) and later keep thinking "what if I had taken the plunge / indulged myself a bit".

In your case, imagine living with "what if" for 10 years. Still not convinced? Dont even drive, but just sit inside a Civic and then a Honda City. See if the interiors of the City are a match for the cockpit the Civic has to offer. If you still have doubts, fire up the engines and do a back to back comparo. Most doubts should have just about vanished by now.

Finally, I think there is that everpresent question looming in the head of a first time used car buyer which is to get a good car sans any issues. I see that you are a resident of Mumbai. I am being presumptive but GTO might be willing to help you out here in the search as he has had extensive experience buying the very same used car you are looking for.

Now stop wasting your time, ask the mods to lock this thread and begin your hunt for a Civic.

All the best buddy.

PS - Sheeeshhhh, I feel so weird posting the above lines. A year or so ago, I would have favored a new car over a used one any day of the week, irrespective of segment, brand etc. But after going through so many used car threads on this site, I am a pakka convert. My next buy will be a used car. What a 180 chakkar T-BHP has given me.

Most Viewed