Team-BHP - Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/102379-brand-new-anhc-used-civic-keep-10-years-edit-got-2007-honda-civic.html)

Hello all,

I am contemplating on selling off my 14 year 800 and move on to a better and modern car. I have two cars in mind the ANHC and the Civic.My budget is around 9-10 lakhs which makes the Civic out of my range as far a brand new vehicle is concerned.The ANHC 1.5 E MT is more of less within my reach but my heart is set on the Civic which i could get in used form withing m budget.

Now trouble is , if i were to buy the car it will be something i will be keeping for atleast the next 10 years as i don't have kind of financial muscle to keep changing the car every 5 years or so.I am not sure whether a used Civic will be able to last me so long so can you please suggest if should go for a new City or used Civic.

Somethings to consider are:
I am not a daily driver and prefer public transport so max my car may do in a month is around 500 kms

I am not a fan of too wide a car as i am used to the smallness of my 800 which i have been driving for 14 years

I am not very tall so which car of these will be better for me.
thanks

Thought to give my thoughts in bold.

"my heart is set on the Civic which i could get in used form withing m budget".

If heart is set on Civic, go for it. It is better than ANHC in almost in every way.

"I am not sure whether a used Civic will be able to last me so long so can you please suggest if should go for a new City or used Civic".

Since you are in Bombay, there are plenty used Civics in the market. With your budget you might get a 08-09 Civic with low odo reading. If the service history is good there is not reason why it will not outlast 10 years.

"I am not a daily driver and prefer public transport so max my car may do in a month is around 500 kms".

Case tipping more and more towards Civic :)

"I am not a fan of too wide a car as i am used to the smallness of my 800 which i have been driving for 14 years".

It will take 2 days to get used to the bulk of the car.

"I am not very tall so which car of these will be better for me".

Not an issue in either car. However Civic's steering has nice tilt and telescopic reach, plus seats are height adjustable. Very easy to get a perfect driving position.

Hope it helps.

Dont you think your spectrum is a little too narrow with only two cars in it?? Die hard Honda fan??

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 2379397)
.I am not sure whether a used Civic will be able to last me so long so can you please suggest if should go for a new City or used Civic.

Hi sumeet,

Honda cars are built to long last for lakhs of kilometers. So ten year survival for any Honda car will not be a problem.

But ten years is huge period I must say. Honda Civic is due for facelift anytime soon. That's why I suggest you to go for a brand new Honda City as it is relatively new and will serve you easily for ten years. The resale value of civic will depreciate big time after ten years considering you are planning for a used one.

I strongly suggest you to go for a new City. It’s a fantastic car with killer looks and engine performance.

@sumeet

I myself having 800 and Civic
I will strongly advice to go for a Civic EYES CLOSED.
By from Honda Used car outlet the most safest bet to buy although it might be bit pricy but its worth cause they toughly check the car in and out and if anything required do the needful.
Or if your trust your vehicle inspection skills then can get it from private sale or dealer.

Get a CIVIC.
I was too in your same situation few months back confused between ANHC and used Civic.
Went with the heart and i dont regret my decision a Bit.
Mind will give you practical decision which you might get bore of after few years but heart it will always give you such decisions which will keep you satisfied for long long years to come.

GO FOR CIVIC.

With a 10 year outlook, I'd recommend a new City. Although I much prefer the civic to the city in almost every respect, this single factor leads me suggest the new city.

I don't think height is an issue in either car. We have both cars in our house and height will not make a difference in either model. The added width is really not an issue either.

Slightly off topic but perhaps an alternate consideration could be a lower version altis. For slightly more money, you could get a new car which is in the civic segment AND new!! You could buy a base version and perhaps over a period of 12 - 24 months gradually build it up on accessories etc. Just a thought !! (personally though I do prefer either of the Hondas over the Altis).

Well, since you want to keep the car for 10 years, it is very important to consider the age of the Civic offered.

Say you buy a ~2-3 years old Civic, by the time you decide to sell it off, you'd have spent a significant amount maintaining it.

The Civic is better than City in every respect but you budget allows you to buy a new City.

Unless you get a nice ~2year old, ~20k on the odo Civic, in the long run, it will turn out to be a expensive affair. 10 years is a long time to hold a car.

So, have a look around for pre-owned Civic; if you get a good one, go for it. Else, City it is.

And if you're getting a City, I'd suggest 1.5 SMT.

Dear all,
thank you for your responses but frankly i am still a bit confused.In general usually used cars have some small niggles but i guess i can try for a used civic first.I will be lucky if i get something like GTO , if not Honda city e MT it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe (Post 2379454)
Dont you think your spectrum is a little too narrow with only two cars in it?? Die hard Honda fan??

You can tell me which car will have the brand value of a Honda and will be relatively trouble free and have lower maintainance for the next 10 years and i would consider it.I do not like the looks of the Toyota's and don't want a hatch back.

10 yrs: Dont think of resale. Buy new, as 10 yrs is long enough for considering a new car over old.
500 km/month: If you are sure this will be similar for next 10 years dont think of fuel efficiency.
Both cars will be bigger than 800 but its a matter of getting used to the size. I was driving a Alto for 10 years and it took a day or two to get used to Civics size.
Also as new Civic is due soon used Civic prices would drop whenever it is launched. So you may want to wait if it is used Civic.

If you are going to keep it for 10 years, why not get a W124 Mercedes. I believe that a vehicle in good condition will be around 3-4l, add a couple more for repairs & maintenance and you have a masterpiece which will last ages. Though Honda cars are low maintenance, when time comes they are way more expensive than M800.

You can keep you M800 for redundancy, as I do not think you will get any money worth the name for it (20-40K ?).

Sumeet,

I am a lil bit confused. On one hand you say that your usage is not much and on other hand you are searching for a car in 9-10 lakhs range. It may sound a bit odd but I would suggest a sedan from VW or Toyota or even a top end Hatchback.

I know you are a bit obsessed with Honda but I would suggest consider the practical aspects too before you make up your mind. In no way I am anti Honda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2380025)
Sumeet,

I am a lil bit confused. On one hand you say that your usage is not much and on other hand you are searching for a car in 9-10 lakhs range. It may sound a bit odd but I would suggest a sedan from VW or Toyota or even a top end Hatchback.

I know you are a bit obsessed with Honda but I would suggest consider the practical aspects too before you make up your mind. In no way I am anti Honda.

I dont see the relation between a usage and the price of the car.I don't want a hatchback anymore and for the 500 odd kms i would be driving i prefer to have a with decently sporty engine like that of a Civic.Both Honda's will come in safety features like
ABS,airbags etc

My current 800's just done ~ 36600 kms in 14 years most of which is done on highways and i simply want a better vehicle.

Quote:

My budget is around 9-10 lakhs

Shut your eyes and get the Civic. With a 10 lakh rupee budget, you can easily manage an example of 2009 build and, if you look really hard, might be lucky enough to end up with a 2010. The overall quality of the Civic is a giant leap ahead of the City. Plus, it ain't no "Asia-specific" model either (and thus, doesn't have that level of cost cutting). A 2009 Civic will easily outlast a 2011 City, all things kept equal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 2379945)
If you are going to keep it for 10 years, why not get a W124 Mercedes.

Whatever the price, a 15 year old German car will come with its own set of complexities. As a project car, sure. But as a reliable daily-drive, No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jatinpatel (Post 2379512)
Mind will give you practical decision which you might get bore of after few years but heart it will always give you such decisions which will keep you satisfied for long long years to come.GO FOR CIVIC.

@sumeet, I would have gone for the Civic for simply this reason highlighted by @jatin. You are looking for a better car. There is surely some aspirational factor involved in the purchase decision. 10 years is a looong time. With a Civic, you may not feel the need for a further upgrade soon.

Quote:

Hello all,

Now trouble is , if i were to buy the car it will be something i will be keeping for atleast the next 10 years as i don't have kind of financial muscle to keep changing the car every 5 years or so.

I am not a daily driver and prefer public transport so max my car may do in a month is around 500 kms

I am not a fan of too wide a car as i am used to the smallness of my 800 which i have been driving for 14 years

I am not very tall so which car of these will be better for me.
thanks

sumeet,
In my consideration a new car is always better than a used one.
Now considering your budget, requirements and usage, ANHC is possible solution.
You can depend on New ANHC better than an used Civic when you expect to use it for at least 10 years.