Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 14:53   #1
BHPian

Tata Manza versus Mahindra Verito

Manza Diesel ABS or Verito D6, that is the confusion
The shapes are ugly, is the usual suggestion
Both are VFM cars, beyond doubt
And that's what I can afford, I shout.

I tried to rhyme my dilemma as best as I could. The prices after discount are very close to each other and that's making matters more confusing. I took test drives of both cars and found both to be equally spacious.

Advantages of Verito
1) Verito feels a bit more comfortable from a driving pleasure standpoingt.
2) The centre rear seat of Verito has a headrest and is far more comfortable than the centre rear seat in the Manza
3) It has a driver side Airbag.

Advantages of Manza ABS
1) Fully loaded (Blue 5 system), steering mounted controls etc.
2) The workshop is a 2km driver from my house.

Any comments to help me decide would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Manza versus Mahindra Verito

That's a difficult pick. But, if I were you, I would pick Manza among the two.

You mentioned about the Verito having a driver side air bag. But,a fully loaded Manza has co-driver air bag,right? If all features and cost etc are neck to neck, I would pick Manza over the Verito. Solely because of the extra air bag.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

How many would travel in the car?

Manza has really good rear leg space so that could be a winner.

But which variant are you talking about? I'm not sure which one has Airbags.

If the Manza you are considering does have Airbags, then Manza it should be. Else, Verito.

Btw, how do the FEs shape up for the 2?
Old 12th June 2011, 09:58   #4
BHPian

As a Manza Owner, I would like to Point out a few +ves and -ves

+ves
-At that price point, the Manza interiors are very very nice.
-Ergonomics are Good! The power window switches and other switches easily fall in hand.

-ves
Usual Tata Niggles -Rattles, build quality etc
Turbo lag in the city

These are the few point that easily come to mind when i think of Manza. Maybe these can help you a bit.
Old 12th June 2011, 10:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How many would travel in the car?

But which variant are you talking about? I'm not sure which one has Airbags.

If the Manza you are considering does have Airbags, then Manza it should be. Else, Verito.

Btw, how do the FEs shape up for the 2?
1) 4 people would travel ( 2young kids, wife & self)
2) The one I am talking about is the non airbag version. Manza ABS. The price difference is approx Rs.8000 between the two. The top end Elan compared with Verito D6 is a price difference of Rs.80,000, what I get extra over the D6 for that 85K is
1) Steering mounted controls and Blue5 system.
2) Chrome finishes in several parts of the car.
3) Passenger side airbag.
4) Electronically operated mirrors.

Verito's FE is better(by about 3kmpl) on record.

I kind of like the Tyrian wine colour ( actually, my wife likes it ).

Some questions in my mind
1) One of the main reasons to consider the Tata car is because the workshop is virtually next door to my house. Mahindra's workshop is 15kms away from my house.
2) If Mahindra cars are know to have problems, then I may as well choose between the lesser of the two evils and place my bets on Tata due to workshop proximity.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 12th June 2011, 12:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
1) 4 people would travel ( 2young kids, wife & self)
2) The one I am talking about is the non airbag version. Manza ABS. The price difference is approx Rs.8000 between the two. The top end Elan compared with Verito D6 is a price difference of Rs.80,000, what I get extra over the D6 for that 85K is
1) Steering mounted controls and Blue5 system.
2) Chrome finishes in several parts of the car.
3) Passenger side airbag.
4) Electronically operated mirrors.

Verito's FE is better(by about 3kmpl) on record.

I kind of like the Tyrian wine colour ( actually, my wife likes it ).

Some questions in my mind
1) One of the main reasons to consider the Tata car is because the workshop is virtually next door to my house. Mahindra's workshop is 15kms away from my house.
2) If Mahindra cars are know to have problems, then I may as well choose between the lesser of the two evils and place my bets on Tata due to workshop proximity.

Appreciate your thoughts.
I'm kinda getting confused - you are mentioning a variant of Manza w.r.t it's price (the non-airbag version) and then mentioning the advantages of a diff variant.

If that price diff. (85k) isn't bothering you, Manza Elan is the best option. And considering it's going to be a family car, you should seriously consider Airbags.
The features you mentioned about Elan than you are getting for 85k (Airbags, steering mounted controls etc.) are such that they can't be fitted extra. So, it should be either Verito D6 or Manza Elan. Your budget can help you choose between the two.

I can help you with one thing though - don't let the proximity of the A.S.S. be a deciding factor while purchasing a car. You will go to the A.S.S. (under normal circumstances) 3 times in the 1st year (3 free services) and henceforth a max. of twice in the following years. You can surely drive 15km on such occasions.

From the looks of it, I guess you are really rooting for Manza. So, let it be Elan
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 12:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
From the looks of it, I guess you are really rooting for Manza. So, let it be Elan
You're right. In my mind, I think I quite like the elan but want is at the price of Verito (Which is kind of difficult). I'm going to give a last push with the Tata dealer to give additional discounts (I'll strike a deal in the last 2 days of this quarter when the sales guys are under pressure to get to their targets )
Thanks all for your help.
Old 12th June 2011, 13:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Raj, I haven't driven the Logan/Verito, so the comments about the Logan/Verito will be from what I have heard.

There are stories about Logan taxis going on forever. Reports of 2-3L on the forum. Many have praised the Logan on this diesel sedan thread I started for my decision ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...continued.html ). There was even a remark about how it is difficult to shake off a Logan, off one's tail in twisties (ghat roads) even in a Cruze! Talk about it running well on the highway with some 6/7 people in it. It's dimensions are big (wheelbase, width and height even more than the Optra!!!). I would have been apprehensive about investing in it till a while back, since Mahindra and Renault weren't carrying on together. Now with Mahindra rebranding it, it seems the car is likely to be around.

The Manza is a wonderful car in it's own right. Has very comfortable seats. Easy to get into and out of. Good ride. Handling better than expected. The (national) engine is a huge success. The interiors of the Elan are rather good. It is new and doing well. Since I have taken a couple of TD's of hte Manza can be more sure of my opinion about it. (more details in that link above and at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2352286 ). Without getting into the nitty-gritties, it seemed like a good vehicle on most counts except:
- Image (Logan/Verito no better, possibly worse)
- Footwell was a bit cramped. No dead pedal or even enough space for the left foot when it is not on the clutch.
- Gear changes a bit more frequent than I would like. But that maybe because of my driving style. (I found ALL sedans with the 1.3MJD to have this issue).

If you don't find the above issues significant, the Manza may be a good choice, given that it is new, the interiors have a feel good factor, the workshop is next-door, looks a LOT better than the Logan IMO, you are normally only 4 people.

PS: In case you run your vehicle a lot, FE may figures point to the Logan. Personally the Logan/Verito and Etios have 'no' appeal for me. The Manza does have 'some' feel-good factor and appeal to it. It may be different for you, however.

Last edited by Poitive : 12th June 2011 at 13:08. Reason: Added the PS
Old 12th June 2011, 14:13   #9
BHPian

@Poitive - In fact, I was closely following your thread for a while. Had Optra in mind in between till my head shook it off. One test drive of Etios and that was enough for me to write it off my list of options. The only concern I have in my mind is the niggles in Tata vs relatively less niggles in Verito. With Tata workshop being close, I'm trying to rationalise my decision to go for the Manza.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.
Old 12th June 2011, 14:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Raj,

My choice would be Verito for two reasons - build quality and better fuel efficiency.
Also the plastic quality, the niggles with the engine is too hard to go un noticed in Manza.

I would have opted for Verito any time.
Old 12th June 2011, 14:38   #11
BHPian

niggles with the engine? can you substantiate this please. It is the national enine after all.

I would suggest you go for the Manza. When you are travelling with family, comfort and the feel good factor is important. The Manza has a very comfortable ride. The Verito, though good on the FE front, looks very dated on the inside. If you are getting Two airbags, Blue and Me etc in the Manza it is actually better. The plastics are soft touch in Manza.
I know a lot of people harp on the build quality and mostly these are perceptions. I have a 2010 Vista which after 20K kms of abuse on all kinds of roads still feels new. I have surprised many friends who dont believe it to be a tata.

Go with your heart after your head has decided what you want. Afterall, it is you who are going to drive the car and should feel good putting your money on it.
Old 12th June 2011, 14:45   #12
BHPian

raj_srini,

Go for Manza. The engine has proven itself and the equipment list is awesome and the space is the best in class.
Old 12th June 2011, 14:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Verito any day considering the massive rear space of Manza in your case will be used only by your kids.

I have driven booth the cars on a longer stretch and I can comfortably vote for Verito. I drove a Logan with 2L+ on odo for 500km and this car was a rental car. Was not maintained well but oh boy not a single rattle. Engine was too smooth at 120 and gear shifting was butter smooth. Suspension behaviour at 120 was the best part. Try moving around a Manza at 120. Body work is too solid. Should hear the thud from the doors.

In my words I say this car is bullet proof and feels like just meant for Indian roads. But space offered by Manza is hard to beat.

Last edited by Randhawa : 12th June 2011 at 15:02.
Old 12th June 2011, 15:13   #14
BHPian

@ghodlur & @randhawa - thanks for your feedback. This is precisely why I am in two minds. The Veritos looks, while not that great, compensates by better suspension and niggle free behaviour. The only drawback perhaps is that it does not have the passenger side airbag. How important is that, I do not know. I surely know that I was saved once by the humble seat belt in my Corsa when a truck rammed into the right side. Is an airbag really needed? Could anyone help by explaining why airbag please? Thanks for everything.
Old 12th June 2011, 15:15   #15
BHPian

Heart says Manza or Verito now
Head says Manza or Verito now

Who said selection of a car was easy? None of my body organs seem to be making a decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks