Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 18:42   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Since you are keeping the car for many years, don't you think it makes sense to stretch and go for a segment higher? Its something to consider. Had it been for 3-4 years then yes saving the 7-8 lacs and buying a smaller car would be better. The Laura is definitely bigger in size than the City, Vento etc etc and much better to drive especially with the 140bhp tdi.
Same thoughts.
As you plan to keep the car for a long time to come, its better to plonk the money now and go for Laura Ambition AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Requirements:-
1. Preferably Diesel car since the usage is more than 60Kms per day. But not hard bent since there are very few options in diesel model at < 17Lakhs.
2. No/Minimum Turbo Lag. I want to enjoy the ride and feel good without getting bored. Should suit both City and Highway trips.
I want to feel Good and Energetic driving this vehicle. I want to look forward driving every morning to office.
Cruze and Laura would meet the 2nd criteria without any doubts.
Which car do you drive currently ?

Last edited by F150 : 30th April 2012 at 18:53.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 19:41   #77
BHPian

Re: Automatic below 16 lakhs

@ Vinj14

Have a look at pre-worshipped route too. GTO can be blamed squarely for motivating a number of BHpians through this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nda-civic.html.

I also bit the bullet and now own a Pre-owned Honda Civic S/AT. It is 2007 model with 21000 Kms on the odo.
Civic AT is a fantastic car to drive and Honda A.S.S is also one of the better ones in our country. I was also hesitant about it and thought that the the pre-owned route is for the guy next door and not for me. 4-5 years old Civic is available at a decent price point. Some hard work on the ground and running around may be required though.
Highflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 21:20   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Civic has been ruled out due to its low seating as per harish.
That's too bad. I would root for the Civic AT any day.

For 16 lakhs, you get Honda's bullet-proof reliability, a wonderfully engineered motor mated to a decent gearbox. The handling too is neutral and can be improved if you go after-market.

The interiors are pretty nice and futuristic, even after being around for over 6 years now.

The seating isn't as low as you might think. You should perhaps test-drive it.

On another note, you might want to try out the Vento AT.

I've fallen in love with the cars lines, after watching the IPL edition ads. It looks spectacular in that dark-blue and is certainly a car worth considering. So is the Laura.

You must remember that owning and maintaining an European car isn't going to be cheap, especially when you compare maintenance costs to Jap cars in the same segment.
Old 30th April 2012, 21:57   #79
BHPian

Harish, I own the Ford Fiesta Automatic (Ti), and while almost everything about the car is brilliant, it ain't a 5 seater by a long shot. And long term ownership costs are still unknown.

On the face of it, while Laura seems a good choice, reliability of the DSG gearbox and the after sales service is still a grey area. VW Vento is good, but the dead pedal is sorely missed. And that is not a proper 5 seater either.

Last year, I started off in exactly the same place you are. A budget of around 18 lakhs, and looking for an automatic sedan. I almost bought the Toyota Altis CVT after reviewing all automatic sedans, but then the Ford Powershift showed up. I was also a bit short on parking space, and after seeing how my neighbor struggled to reverse his car into the parking slot everyday, I decided to buy the Fiesta.

I believe the Toyota Altis CVT Petrol at around 17 lakhs to be an excellent choice based off your requirements. Reliable, relatively cheap to maintain, and spacious interiors with a flat floor at the rear.
Kamen_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 22:17   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
On another note, you might want to try out the Vento AT.

I've fallen in love with the cars lines, after watching the IPL edition ads. It looks spectacular in that dark-blue and is certainly a car worth considering. So is the Laura.

You must remember that owning and maintaining an European car isn't going to be cheap, especially when you compare maintenance costs to Jap cars in the same segment.
If only there was an vento diesel AT.

Here are the points from the TBHP review about the petrol AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This can get a little frustrating with the slush-box when you want instant go, as the Vento AT is underwhelming in these situations. It really won't get anywhere too fast. Further, the AT & the engine seem a tad strained when made to work hard (pedal to the metal), and can get audible on the inside. However, if you just want to potter around town or slide along with rush hour traffic, the performance of the AT is par for the course, and has a clear convenience advantage over the manual transmission.

Gear changes are fairly quick in this mode, though the Honda City's AT is quicker, and the DSGs are in a different league altogether.

To sum up the AT option; if you like giving your car some stick on empty roads, or late at night – this probably isn’t the choice for you. If you drive a lot within the city and at an easy pace, the convenience of leaving your left arm on the armrest and just chilling during the drive can't be matched by the manual transmission version.

Additional Points

• Slightly plasticy shift quality of the gear lever itself. Fairly firm to shift.

• A fair deal of vibration can be felt in the cabin at idle, and especially through the brake pedal.
Quote:
I want to feel Good and Energetic driving this vehicle. I want to look forward driving every morning to office.
Don't think VENTO petrol AT fits the above criteria. Does it ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:51   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Same thoughts.
As you plan to keep the car for a long time to come, its better to plonk the money now and go for Laura Ambition AT.

Cruze and Laura would meet the 2nd criteria without any doubts.
Which car do you drive currently ?
I drive Manza Quadrajet currently. the backseat comfort is huge in size but not in experience. It rolls a bit to much for the liking of my wife or mom. They get sick on long drives on bad roads. This never use to happen with my previous cars. So im pretty much sure that the new one i buy now should be comfortable for them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
Harish, I own the Ford Fiesta Automatic (Ti), and while almost everything about the car is brilliant, it ain't a 5 seater by a long shot. And long term ownership costs are still unknown.

On the face of it, while Laura seems a good choice, reliability of the DSG gearbox and the after sales service is still a grey area. VW Vento is good, but the dead pedal is sorely missed. And that is not a proper 5 seater either.

Last year, I started off in exactly the same place you are. A budget of around 18 lakhs, and looking for an automatic sedan. I almost bought the Toyota Altis CVT after reviewing all automatic sedans, but then the Ford Powershift showed up. I was also a bit short on parking space, and after seeing how my neighbor struggled to reverse his car into the parking slot everyday, I decided to buy the Fiesta.

I believe the Toyota Altis CVT Petrol at around 17 lakhs to be an excellent choice based off your requirements. Reliable, relatively cheap to maintain, and spacious interiors with a flat floor at the rear.
Thanks. Yes I loved Fiesta AT test drive. The steering is perhaps the best i have felt in recent times. The Powershift makes the drive a lot more lively. I loved the gearbox and steering. The only let down is the backseat space. It cannot take 3 in the backseat. Thats the one let down for me.

Quick Update on the TDs so far. I completed taking Test Drive of Ford Fiesta AT and Honda City AT.

Ford Fiesta AT Petrol

What i Liked ?
6 Speed, Powershift Super smooth drive
Awesome gearbox.
Superb Steering feel.
Loved every bit of driving this

What i didn't like ?
CANT seat 5 comfortably.

Honda City AT w Sunroof
5 Speed, Conventional.
Spacious, Comfortable seating for 5
Good engine and gearbox for city use. No Non-sense car.
Paddel shift, Premium car feel.

What i didn't like ?
Steering not as good as Fiesta.

So far, City seems the best among two. The real battle starts now since i have lined up the bigger machines for later this week. I shall be TD'ing Cruze tomorrow, followed by Scorpio and Verna on Saturday. Im yet to visit Toyota and Skoda dealers. Plan to visit them early next week.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd May 2012 at 17:21. Reason: Please use EDIT button for posting in same post when want to post within 30 mins of previous post. Read the rules before proceeding. Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

I went through the same debate a month ago - and ended up with the Honda City AT - which I felt was best suited to my needs.
Good luck to you friend - I'm sure you'll end up making the right decision.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far, City seems the best among two. The real battle starts now since i have lined up the bigger machines for later this week. I shall be TD'ing Cruze tomorrow, followed by Scorpio and Verna on Saturday. Im yet to visit Toyota and Skoda dealers. Plan to visit them early next week.
Hey any reason for excluding the Fluence from your list?? You get a petrol automatic, good build quality, French styling (quirky), decent space and well equipped, however, the after sales is yet an undiscovered territory. Also, you being in Bangalore, I am sure you have a Renault showroom in your city. Lately, the number of Fluences have increased on the streets of Mumbai.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:04   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Hey any reason for excluding the Fluence from your list?? You get a petrol automatic, good build quality, French styling (quirky), decent space and well equipped, however, the after sales is yet an undiscovered territory. Also, you being in Bangalore, I am sure you have a Renault showroom in your city. Lately, the number of Fluences have increased on the streets of Mumbai.
Unfortunately, Fluence is not available in Auto Variant mode. After checking your message, i went online and rechecked.

Chevy Cruze didn't show up this morning though i was assured multiple times since last evening. They have promised to arrive tomorrow at 10am. Looking forward to the test drive.
Saw the Apr Sales figure. Verna is a serious contender (they sell at 2:1 ratio) and i will test drive verna early next week.
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr

Saw the Apr Sales figure. Verna is a serious contender (they sell at 2:1 ratio) and i will test drive verna early next week.
Check the team bhp review of the new verna.
The rear seat is placed very low and lacks under thigh support.
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:26   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately, Fluence is not available in Auto Variant mode. After checking your message, i went online and rechecked.
In India, Fluence petrol is available only with AT. Check the link below, and select Petrol E4 from the dropdown list.

http://www.renault.co.in/cars/fluenc...fications.html

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd May 2012 at 19:26. Reason: URL edited
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:06   #87
BHPian

I bought an Altis Automatic in March 2009 and in 3 years if ownership it has not given me any problem (touchwood). Now I have been advised by dealership to change the rear brake pads, which at 22000 kms does not make sense to me. Cost 8500 plus labour so about 10k. This is first major expense in 3 years, apart from yearly service, so bearable.

The only thing which i dont like is the 4 speed auto, not due to refinement, but due to 4 speeds. The car is very comfortable and reliable with low cost of ownership and these were my main priorities. However it is not a car to be thrown in corners at high speed.

Now that it is available with a 7 speed AT, it should be better in FE and maybe in driving also. Take a test drive to decide.

For long term ownership of 10 years, I would not trust any other brand except for Toyota or Honda in this segment. City is a smaller car and Altis is bigger and more comfortable car, ideal for seating 5 in comfort. For driving pleasure, nothing will beat new Fiesta. Take your pick.

Last edited by akj53 : 3rd May 2012 at 20:09.
akj53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 23:58   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually it is available only with an automatic gearbox for the petrol variant and only a manual for the diesel. Take a test drive. For all you know it is the best option for you.

vb-san has even provided the link to Renault India's official website.

Here is Team-Bhp's official review which you may refer.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-18.html
Old 4th May 2012, 08:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
I bought an Altis Automatic in March 2009 and in 3 years if ownership it has not given me any problem (touchwood).
Now that it is available with a 7 speed AT, it should be better in FE and maybe in driving also. Take a test drive to decide.

For long term ownership of 10 years, I would not trust any other brand except for Toyota or Honda in this segment. City is a smaller car and Altis is bigger and more comfortable car, ideal for seating 5 in comfort..
Yes. Going the APRIL sales report , corolla is the segment leader.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html

You may find this OR useful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...speed-cvt.html

Here are the OTR Bangalore as per carwale.

Toyota Corolla Altis 2011 1.8 G AT - Rs 16.9 L OTR - Fits your budget perfectly
Toyota Corolla Altis 2011 1.8 VL AT - Rs 18.4 L OTR

You should be able squeeze some discounts.

Nothing beats Toyota in terms of reliability which is of utmost importance as you plan to keep the car for 10 yrs.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
The traffic in areas where i drive around is quite horrible and with everyday that passes by i have become more and more convinced about my NEED for an automatic car.
I drive about 30 kms per day and do make the occasional long trip every couple of months.
Would like the car to be stable at high speeds (180+) on my long drives
If I understand correctly, your daily drive is through 30 km of dense traffic, and your occasional long drive is only once in 2 or 3 months. If you buy a single LARGE automatic car, it would be a pain in your daily drive (dimension wise, maintenance wise and FE wise).

Why don't you buy a small automatic such as A-Star or i10? It would be a boon in dense city traffic. With the remaining amount, you could buy a 'big' Manual car for your long drives. Better still, you could use your current City for your long drives. (Since your long drives would be only once in a few months, your dad can use your 'small' automatic when you take the City for long drives - provided you are staying with/near your dad)

Be advised that no road in India is safe for speeds of 180+ (sorry for the blanket statement).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 4th May 2012 at 10:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks