Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2012, 18:31   #106

Thanks for your inputs.

The main reason for my dilemma is the plush, feature rich package in the Verna. Truth be told I've never been a big Hyundai fan but in addition to feature list everyone is praising the car and I am yet to come across anyone complaining about owning a fluidic Verna.

And engine wise I find both City AT and Verna VTVT AT equally sluggish. City's engine advantage, atleast in terms of drivability, really matters in MT mode where it actually outclasses its competitors.

Reliability wise I know vTEC engines are amazing but I haven't heard anything about any reliability issues on the fluidic Verna. Am I missing something ??
Old 29th October 2012, 07:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Petrol AT: Honda City or Hyundai Verna ?

If its petrol, there is nothing that can beat the Honda engine. Do take both for a spin one after the other to make this out. Apart from this at high speed Honda handles better than the current Verna.

My brother drives a Honda AT and he loves it. One of my colleague also bought the Honda AT after going around in circles for quiet a while. His decision was based on Honda's better handling and cheaper to maintain (I was surprised with this, but he is quiet sure owning a Honda turns out to be cheaper than the Hyundai)
Old 29th October 2012, 08:31   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
I'd say go with the City for the following points;
  • iVtec!!
  • Paddle shifters... Adds to the fun
  • Reliability of a Honda

Good Luck!!
Nailed it !!
A HONDA anyday !!
City AT will fetch a better resale compared to a Verna AT.
"CITY handles better than a Verna" is the feedback from the forum.
City has a 5 speed AT with paddle shifters unlike Verna which has a 4 speed AT without paddles.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:32   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

It is no brainer here - it has to be Honda City .

It has the best petrol engine -iVtec!!, Drivability, Reliability and Japense technology.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th October 2012 at 08:34.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai has two advantages. Way more goodies and it is definitely more comfortable in city driving. It is boat like at high speed on the highway though so please check that out in your TD.

The Honda definitely has a better engine. And it is better in the reliability factor.

Neither one will have great resale given they are petrol engines, unless the govt. policy on subsidizing diesel stops.

I know I have done nothing to help your dilemna.

I personally would pick the Honda if it was for me, as comfort is not that high on my list of priorities. If on the other hand there will regularly be my family in the car, then comfort does matter. Plus I am biased towards Honda. What can I say
Old 29th October 2012, 10:13   #111
Team-BHP Support

Its a no brainer in favour of the City in my opinion. The City is more reliable, after sales is good, more comfortable in the front and the back, looks classier (I find the Hyundai styling too contrived). It'll be easier and more pleasant to drive. Massive boot makes the City quite practical as well.

Test drive both (back to back if possible) for your personal opinion of course.

All the best making the decision.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:25   #112
BANNED

I will also plump for the City. The only thing the Hyundai scores on are creature comforts. The City is far better overall, and will give better economy (about 1-2 kpl) and cheaper maintenance. As for the AT Honda AT is miles ahead of the Hyundai box.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:28   #113
Senior - BHPian

I think you should go for the Honda City. Reliable and proven Japanese Petrol engine, paddle shift makes it a pleasure to drive in city and highway stability is way better than Verna.

Verna also has the slightly protruding rear arm rest, which may make it uncomfortable for the fifth passenger, whereas City is clearer and a true five seater, if this is of any relevance to you.
Mileage wise, City should be marginally better than Hyundai, with a lower powered and better tuned engine. IMHO, you should go for the City.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:55   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Me too votes for the Honda City. If there is a reason I would look at the verna, it would be due to the gadgets it offers. But I would prefer better handling, FE, and of course cheaper running costs in comparison to flashy gadgets and features. My cousin owns a V-AT and it has been both chauffeur driven and self driven. It is nearly three years old and 65k km done, still there seems to be no serious expenditure or any failures as such.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:09   #115
BHPian

City all the way. The only negative is that the current city is too long in the tooth and a new version will be available perhaps two years down the line.

Pradeep
Old 29th October 2012, 12:19   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatic below 16 lakhs

^^Any reason you aren't considering the Rapid AT? I have a Vento AT that's now done 31,000 km and am perfectly satisfied with the performance and reliability. The Rapid is essentially the same car but cheaper and I believe you have a lower variant option as well (Vento AT comes only in Highline trim).

Rapid/Vento vs Honda City:
- Tiptronic mode vs paddle shifts
- 6 speed gearbox vs 5speed
- Less powerful (105 vs 117 ps) engine, also less revv-happy than the VTEC
- Handles wayyyy better
- Solid build construction:City feels tinny
- Looks and interiors are classier/understated (this is a matter of opinion)
- A.S.S you will probably be happier with Honda since neither Skoda nor VW is a pathbreaker in this regard (tongue firmly in cheek given the threads we have seen on T-BHP)
- Image again is a matter of opinion: Honda has a very high brand value in India but "German car" is big on some people.

I think the Verna looks nice and ticks the right boxes interiors-wise but unless you are opting for the Diesel AT which NOBODY else in the segment offers, don't see how the Verna petrol can match up to either the City or the Rapid/Vento.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 12:31   #117
Senior - BHPian

Of the ones you have already mentioned I would vote for the City. However, like noop says, do TD the Rapid, though I dont know tiptronics from histrionics.

While we are at it, do you have any qualms in looking at the used car market for a diesel AT? You may get your hands on one used for a year or less if you want to try your luck. Worth a shot I guess! Usually the driving bug bites later and it wont be long before your 1k kms a month goes into multiples of that.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:58   #118

Does the Rapid AT's 6-speed box have a dual clutch tranny ?? I believe Ford Fiesta AT has one not even thinking of buying a Ford.

I've also learnt that City AT may be much more fuel efficient giving 10-11 kmpl versus the Verna's 8-9 kmpl. Is that correct ?
Old 29th October 2012, 13:34   #119
BANNED

@noopster; What about the legendary Skoda (non) service?
Old 29th October 2012, 13:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

^ That mainly depends on the service center/location.
The one which I go to for my car, is pretty decent in doing the job. That said, it aint path breaking, but a notch or two above the available lot.

Agree with noop on the Verna Petrol AT. Unless its a diesel engine that you are looking at, dont see the point in choosing the Verna over a City (at least where engine performance is concerned).

Most Viewed