Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 13:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vento TDi Highline or City V or Skoda Fabia 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
@Noopster: Thanks but i also felt dissatisfied knowing that after spending 10 lacs i have to go and change the HU to use my ipod, and VW Downtown Mumbai in short Shaman are known for Bad Service and were quite stuck up regarding my changing the HU, they were very adamant i use only their rather ridiculous overpriced ones but i will give it another go in the next few days.
Sorry but I just had to reply. Admittedly the HU in the Vento is very basic but surely this cann't be the dealbreaker for you?!!

Please check my thread "ICE for VW Vento"- there is a list of at least 5 good options you can upgrade to if unsatisfied with the OE HU.
Dare I say, please don't reject this absolute gem of a car for this reason. Also there is a refresh on the cards when the HU issue will get addressed- so I would suggest you go ahead and book the Vento TDI- with the waiting and everything, you should be OK!

Quote:
@Akhilesh: Dont want to go for a hatch 99.99%. I included the Skoda Fabia 1.6 because when i drove it i just got a huge smile on my face. I liked the performance and interior fit and finish and car felt stable, peppy and safe, was a good feeling.
Do you want to wait for the Skoda Rapid then? Same platform as Vento and due for release soon. Probably will get the 1.6TDi engine as well.

Quote:
@Vb-san: I will check out the Fiesta but i think il stick to these 3 options. Not a huge Ford fan.
(...)
@Pamishra: I ignored the Hyundai Verna because from my personal experience of owning Hyundai's is that they give you a terrific package but somehow they havent got the ride + handling + performance formula right and also the fact that their cars are not solidly built. They start getting all shaken up in 3-4 years. Also the fact that their service station though very good is terribly overloaded and is far and gives appointments after 1 month of booking a service. I somehow dont want to go for a Hyundai this time.
Since you speak from personal experience, I won't try and contradcit you, but just let me leave you with this: Hyundai's build quality has improved by leaps and bounds. The i20 and Fluidic Verna are in a different plane from their first generation of cars in India. The problem about service scheduling seems to be one specific to some dealer- you can surely exercise your freedom of choice and find a more responsive HAS?
Just, saying- no offence meant!
Old 20th June 2011, 13:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Vento TDi. Thats more than what suits your requirements. Gem of a car, peppy engine, sans the sad HU, the car is perfect in every sense.

If you can wait, then even the Skoda Rapid may suit your requirements.
ANHC, facelifted may also be good provided the petrol costs dont bother you.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:41   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

First things first, you need to decide whether you want a petrol or a diesel. The H City is still the best petrol sedan in the market, while the Vento it is for diesel. No other cars come close to the all-rounded nature of the City or the Vento.

If you ask me, for 6,000 kms / year (or 500 kms a month), a petrol will do just fine. Plus, the Honda City will give you the kind of stress-free ownership that you have been used to with Maruti. Try out Solitaire Honda (Borivali) or Linkway (Andheri); I've used both and was satisfied with the service given.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:24   #19
BHPian

Everybody thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
If the choice is between a diesel and petrol, you have to go with the Vento, but then your running does not justify to buy a diesel. That said the SMT model for ANHC is not a bad choice, any reason to prefer the VMT?
SMT doesnt come with alloys and dealer quoted about 40000 for them so prefer the VMT version.I prefer trying out new things in life but sometimes its important to stick with the tried and tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Any idea when the Vento refresh is planned ? I wouldnt mind waiting for the Rapid but i fear that the Rapid will come only in January next year. Also dont worry i dint take any offence to your statement. This is a friendly forum we are here to help each other out. No worries. BTW i called VW today some lady put me on hold for 5 mins, passed the call to her colleague who told me she has no idea if there is a TD vehicle available and she doesnt know the waiting period or the colour choices availability, she suggested she will call back in 10 mins but after about 5 hours of waiting i doubt she will. Thinking il just land up tomorrow at the showroom and demand a TD if not given one then maybe VW may be out. The last time i test drove the Vento petrol and tdi was about 2 months ago and at that time they dint feel special at all. I personally feel that the refresh Vento will be a much better improved, reliable car to buy and VW hasnt yet got things spot on but i dont think i can wait around for the refresh if its 3-4 months away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
First things first, you need to decide whether you want a petrol or a diesel. The H City is still the best petrol sedan in the market, while the Vento it is for diesel. No other cars come close to the all-rounded nature of the City or the Vento.

My usage will be about 6000-8000 kms per year and the car will undertake about 3-5 long 700-800 kms trips included in the annual running. Therefore was considering the Vento as per everyones suggestion but dont really mind the City. After the price cut its become better value. Also i stay at South and sending the car to Borivali will not be ideal but i guess i can look at Linkway since ive heard its service is the best. A rough back handed calculation over the period of 6 years based just on running costs the Vento TDi will cost be almost 45% less compared to the City but i havent factored in any unseen expectations like accidents or faulty parts and VW parts will definitely be more expensive than Honda. I still feel the City will be more reliable and dependable than the Vento but keeping my eyes open towards the test drive experience once again as there is a huge savings in the running costs involved.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2011 at 14:13. Reason: No need to use bold font
Old 20th June 2011, 19:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi M00M,

You can go ahead with V variant. It comes with alloy wheels, chrome finish door handles, chrome finish exhaust, two additional tweeters, and premium beige fabric seat covers. I will still suggest you to go for Honda City, 6000-8000 KM running is still low to qualify for a diesel car. Honda City i-VTEC gives excellent mileage in both city and driving conditions. Today I got best figure of 18KMPL (Refer my thread) while commuting to Gurgaon. It can give even more in highway driving. This will compensate for your running costs. You will get the peace of mind of owning a car which is fun to drive and less damaging to environment. Honda service is very good, if you are not satisfied with the SVC just shoot a mail to higher Honda officials and the SVC will be down on their knees. I own Maruti WagonR also and I rate Honda service much better than Maruti Service. VW future servicing costs are unknown and the car is yet to prove the reliability as Honda did in all these years and it will take some time for them to achieve this.
In the end, I will say TD both cars and you will feel the difference.
Old 20th June 2011, 22:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Priorities: Good Ride Quality, Good Fit Finish, Ease of Use and Maintenance. I also do not like the fact that we have to spend about 10 lacs on a car and then we have to go and change some components on the car like the Vento's HU doesnt even have a Aux In and may have to be changed, I prefer buying the higher variant complete with all the bells and whistles and not having to do much except maybe change speakers and install some good sun film. My cars feel stock, new and are well maintained.

I await your different suggestions and viewpoints.

Quote:
Sorry but I just had to reply. Admittedly the HU in the Vento is very basic but surely this cann't be the dealbreaker for you?!!
With your kind of usage, the Honda City makes sense.

Like said above, changing a HU really should not be a deal breaker.

We are discussing Diesel sedans upto 12L in the link below. Earlier it was for my 'what car' decision upto about 9L or so, but later we expanded the scope of discussion (approx page 15). You will hear a lot of talk about the Optra Magnum there. Though it may not score too high on some counts, it is splendid on others. If you want to keep the car for around 5 years or so, it may just be the car for your to get your thrills in driving and for your parents to be driven comfortably. From what I hear, it has the best ride in it's class (and probably upto half a class above). It is supposed to depreciate very quickly, but I wonder what the basis of this talk is, as it is very difficult to find an Optra Magnum Diesel less than 3 years old in the market.

And yes, though it is a diesel, it doesn't really feel like one on the inside, after a few minutes of warming up.

Anyway, words don't do justice to this car. A TD is what is needed.

Thread with Test drives experiences of some 5 sedans at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html

(sister thread at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sx4-manza.html )

And yes, if you like gizmos, don't discount the Verna. Even the diesel is supposed to be super silent.
Old 21st June 2011, 00:08   #22
BHPian

Thanks Bluevolt and Poitive. Im going tomorrow morning to test drive the Vento TDi once again. Will take a call after that. I agree with Noopster that changing the HU shouldnt be a deal breaker and so i will keep an open mind during the test drive.

@Poitive: yes i do like gizmos and more the toys the better it is. . I test drove the Passat recently with a friend and came away stunned with the amount of Kit VW has offered with it.
Old 21st June 2011, 01:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bluevolt and Poitive. Im going tomorrow morning to test drive the Vento TDi once again. Will take a call after that. I agree with Noopster that changing the HU shouldnt be a deal breaker and so i will keep an open mind during the test drive.

@Poitive: yes i do like gizmos and more the toys the better it is. . I test drove the Passat recently with a friend and came away stunned with the amount of Kit VW has offered with it.
You'd be spending about 10L and be living with the car for a few years, I presume. Taking out a couple of hours or so for TD the New Verna and the Optra is warranted in my books. Optra is a class higher than the other cars in it's price bracket. It can put off people when they haven't driven it. Often, after a drive one is smitten. Yes, it has some drawbacks, but it tops on space, sheer power, torque, ride quality, economical running costs, and also has a reliability rating of 'excellent' on the Tbhp.

All the best.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but I just had to reply. Admittedly the HU in the Vento is very basic but surely this cann't be the dealbreaker for you?
Test drove the Vento TDi today. Car seemed very okay. I mean the engine was peppy and was stable and i guess considering the running costs it will make a good buy but fit and finish wise i still feel the City has an edge. The Vento just doesnt have any features which made me feel like sitting inside and saying yes lets buy this. And to top it all once again after my complains last time the TD car was smelly, door creaked while opening, A/c wasnt cooling properly and over all quite the experience was strictly okay. Apparently the prices are rising by 25000 from 1st July so they advised me to buy the car asap and said delivery in 4 weeks. On HU change they said i cant fit outside even if i dont cut wires as warranty is void. I have to buy their Nippon product for 25000 which was worse than the OEM. Now wondering what to do.

Last edited by M00M : 21st June 2011 at 16:42.
Old 21st June 2011, 17:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

It doesn't look as if your heart is in the Vento.

Quote:
I still feel City has an edge
Like GTO said, oranges and apples. I have 2 petrol cars myself, no diesels, but even I hesitate to recommend that anyone buy a petrol car these days. But if your heart says Yes and your usage is low as you say, why not the City V?
Old 21st June 2011, 21:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't look as if your heart is in the Vento.
Haha, nothing like that my friend. Actually I went with a open mind because as you said considering the fuel prices one has to consider it. To be honest the chances of Diesel going up is far less compared to Petrol so yes unfortunately we have to look into it. Any idea when the Vento refresh is coming ? How much does the VW service cost you ?
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha, nothing like that my friend. Actually I went with a open mind because as you said considering the fuel prices one has to consider it. To be honest the chances of Diesel going up is far less compared to Petrol so yes unfortunately we have to look into it. Any idea when the Vento refresh is coming ? How much does the VW service cost you ?
I doubt that many Vento T-BHP' ians would have had done a service considering that the Vento's service interval is 15000 km ! There is one who posted his experience in one of the threads and from whatever I remember it was nothing extraordinarily high, same region as City . Regarding whether its proven or not , Vento maybe a new launch though globally VW is one of the biggest car brands - people tend to discount it completely when trying to point out the cons.

I have to agree with Noops here . If you have TD'ed the TDi and felt that the car was okay, then you should not plonk your 11 lakhs on it
My emotions on the TDi was very different from yours though, when I first drove it am still addicted to that feeling ! Needed to shift up to 2nd and 3rd to make that decision, for rest of the stuff I trusted GTO's fantastic review on Vento since a TD can reveal only so much . I don't think anyone on the forum has an idea on the refresh thing

Your '"seemingly" first choice ANHC is a great car and now its right priced , even if you double your driving mileage it would still make a good buy ! Frankly, I have heard mostly ok things about Honda's service - people do not go gaga over it like they do for Toyota neither do they start complaining like they do for Tata, GM and Fiat so on a long term basis you would be doing great too !

IMO you should stay away from the Optra , its really not in the same class as the the ANHC and the Vento ( new Verna or the Fiesta too) - leaving aside the technicalities a product which has been pushing its sales for months only through price cuts deserves a notch or two downgrade

Last edited by souravc : 22nd June 2011 at 02:40.
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:41   #28
BHPian

Choice is simple;
if its Petrol - then ANHC (6-7 Kms/year justifies for petrol car).
if its Deisel - then Vento/Fiesta (whatever grabs you after TD) :-)

Skoda - With so many stories/issues on Team-BHP regarding Skoda; I would suggest you to stay away from it.

Quote:
Vento:
Positives:
Solid ride, Performance and Fuel Efficiency of the Diesel, Good tough build and feeling.

Negatives:
Have heard and read a lot of criticism for Bad After Sales Support of VW, FB page seems to have just complaints, I dint like the Vento Fit and Finish thought it was under market compared to the City VMT, Equipment levels of the Vento werent all that impressive either and we keep blasting Honda for under equipping the City but i think the Vento is under equipped too but only sells due to its Diesel Engine, Car dint seem special like something that had to be had - it seemed like just another car - felt something was missing.
Well, I will beg to differ here; Vento's fit and finish is the strongest point Vento has.
I agree with you, Vento doesn't carry the 10 Lac car feel/image though.

Quote:
City VMT:
Positives:
Great Performance, Ride, Fuel EFficiency of Petrol City is the best in the segment (im considering the manual), Fit and Finish on the V is better than before, Stereo sounded good, Overall i've owned a City in the past and its a good everyday car, Honda's age well.

Negatives:
Bad Honda Service, Higher Fuel Bills due to the difference in prices, Dont like the City's rear end design car feels weird.
For ANHC I would recommend you to read this latest well written (5 star rated) review by Charthom.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...fell-love.html

Quote:
Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance:
Positives:
Great Ride, Solid Build, Performance of the 1.6 motor, Car felt Special.

Negatives:
Bad Skoda After Sales Service, Higher Fuel Bills due to the difference in prices.
my 2 cents - If its Skoda - STAY AWAY

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 22nd June 2011 at 08:52.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

If your heart is for Petrol car the ANHC is the best. If you are after diesel, why not look at new look Fiesta. Rehaan's superb test drive and review should help you. I was a faithful customer of Fiesta's earlier avatar and had done 80K KMs without any hassles. I loved driving every KM in it.
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea when the Vento refresh is coming ?
Should be around August. Apparently sales reps have already started warning potential customers about a price hike od 25,000 or so that's coming soon, probably with the new features.

Quote:
How much does the VW service cost you ?
Nil so far . First scheduled service is at 15,000 km/1 year. However, Polo/Vento owners have started reporting first-year service costs as about 10K or so, which I guess is normal giving the cost of synthetic oil.

Am suprised you found the Vento interiors not up to the mark. I guess it's rather subjective but I think they look understated and classy. Even after nearly 6 months I like getting into and sitting in my Vento, though part of me wishes it were all-black especially in the rains!

Most Viewed