Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help me decide between used esteem and Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
@albatross

Exactly, being a maruti...the baleno will have the same advantages as that of an esteem(availability of spares, spares being not that costly
Well, i own a Baleno and have been for last 6 years (close to 6 years) and i can say that parts availability is a problem in Baleno, in spite of it being a Maruti/Suzuki, Why? because it does not use any of the MGP and all the parts are SGP (Maruti Genuine Parts/Suzuki Genuine Parts) and sometimes the parts take a long long time to be available.

Had to wait something like a week to get the drive-shaft replaced (In a SX4 or Esteem it would probably take them 2 days as parts are available all over the place). The Drive Shaft was not available in bangalore and it had to be ordered from Delhi.

As far as cost is concerned, Baleno parts are expensive, cos mostly they are imported from Japan.

So i am not talking hearsay, or views. This is from my personal experience, so i don't think any more data is required. In short what GTO is saying is right.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 23rd June 2011 at 06:40.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:57   #17

Re: Used Esteem or Lancer for Modifications?

Umm, Why are you not considering the Old Honda City again?? You can easily get a 1.3 or a 1.5 non-vtec for that much and it is by far the most superior of the lot. Think about it.
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:07   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
I said with a budget of around 1.5 lakhs it will be very difficult to find a good condition lancer. Also it will be around 2000 - 2002 model.
I've owned either car for 6 figure kms and can tell you there is a reason for that; the Lancer is MUCH superior and from a full segment above. In terms of design, it is also nearly a decade newer (The Esteem is an '88 design while the Lancer a '95). The Lancer is superior in nearly every way.

Quote:
Hardly true, I will not agree with this unless you provide me spare part's cost list of both lancer and baleno of similar parts
Please search through the forum and you'll get a gist of why the Baleno cannot be equated to Maruti's usual "cheap & easily available spares" advantage. It's been out of production and always had a higher import content. BTW, there's a comment right above from a BHPian who has owned a Baleno for 6 years.

Just to clarify : I'm not saying Lancer parts are cheap. But I'm refuting your point that the Baleno advantage is "availability of spares, spares being not that costly"
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:31   #19

Well, firstly thanks to all for putting forward your point of view so amicably and clearly.

To get the things going in the right direction for my own benefit, would like to clarify few things. I have no issues with the procurement of the parts (since this car won't be used much) so a wait of a week or so is okay for me. About the cost, yes I don't mind spending but love saving as well. I want is a car which is robust and safe, by which I mean, even if my bro bangs it a few times the car should take the damage and not him,though it depends on a lot of factors apart from the build quality, but the built of the car also plays an important role.

Thanks to GTO for giving a first hand experience of Lancer. It has been a car I grew up admiring, though sadly never bought it.

@Cyrus...I have just two months to decide, find and buy a car, so one more option will be a little too many.(Though will try and look for a OHC as well).
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Well , the moment you said robust and safe , guess you choice is pretty much down to Lancer/ City. And really if your heart says Lancer - Then just go for it...Donot let the voices around confuse you. Lancer is a beautiful beast (now is that an oxymoron?) and will serve you well....

Looking forward to thread on your buying experience :-)
Old 24th June 2011, 12:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
I want is a car which is robust and safe, by which I mean, even if my bro bangs it a few times the car should take the damage and not him,though it depends on a lot of factors apart from the build quality, but the built of the car also plays an important role.
Would be sad if my earlier statements about my Baleno have tarnished its image and made you move away from it. Its a fantastic car by all angles, good road grip, decent fuel efficiency, Does not break down often (Keeps running like other Japs), Stable on any kinds of roads.

In last 6 years its just one instance when it had to stay for a week in the garage, otherwise 1 day is enough. Parts availability is a problem but fortunately all critical parts are available (It may take 3-4 days for them to procure).

For non critical parts it may not be available at all.

Like for example the motor of my radio antenna at the back, have been trying to replace it for last six months but still the part isn't available. So this does not make the car useless but minor irritants. The Antenna does not go down anymore :(, but this is something i am ready to live with, i can vouch for this car, and planning to retain this car for next 3-4 years. That should say all
Old 24th June 2011, 13:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hardly true. Many Baleno parts are expensive and not easily available either. Considering that the Lancer sold 10X more than Balenos in India, and for a much longer period, I'm willing to be that Lancer parts will be way easier to source. Remember, the Lancer is still on sale in India.
Since I have both cars in the family now, I guess I am qualified to comment.

1) For both cars, sourcing parts need a bit of networking ability. Else you might need to wait.

2) In Bangalore, Baleno parts are more easily available. I sourced bothlower arms in one day, where as owners in other places, like shuvc had difficulty doing the same.

For Lancer parts, we go to Kerala. I attribute it mostly to the varying population of both cars and the dealerships involved.

3) Most parts costs are higher for both cars, say compared to SX4.

Finally, Lancers might have sold bigger numbers, but majority of that happened before 2003. Compared to that Baleno sales peaked during 2005-2007 period due to the price reductions. So, in used car markets, you might find newer Balenos more

On a lighter note, for a Maruti, Baleno spares are costly. But then Baleno is not built like a Maruti either

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I can vouch for this car, and planning to retain this car for next 3-4 years. That should say all
Me too, till another petrol price hike
Old 24th June 2011, 13:18   #23
BHPian

I have an Esteem and a Friend has a Lancer. And we both would suggest Esteem any day. More so, if its for a Learner.

Moreover, if you go in for an Esteem, it would help me get some idea to improve the low end.

MaSh
Old 24th June 2011, 22:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For all the talk of Esteem being more reliable than the Lancer, it's rubbish. My Lancer did over 100,000 kms and except for scheduled maintenance, the only component failure was the air-con compressor (Note : My Esteem got a new compressor too, and one that failed much earlier, in the warranty period).
Agree with GTO. Lancer is rock solid and dependable. I have done ~87K over 8+ years now, and have no complaints. I still have the original suspension, and even with upsized 15" wheels and tyres for last 37K stressing the suspension, my Lancer handles better on the curves than any Esteem can dream of. Its a Jap sedan with somewhat tougher build than most Japs. Ergonomics are great as well.
Esteem is a nice car. But has lesser space, boxy looks, and safety is not its strong point.

Quote:
Hardly true. Many Baleno parts are expensive and not easily available either. Considering that the Lancer sold 10X more than Balenos in India, and for a much longer period, I'm willing to be that Lancer parts will be way easier to source. Remember, the Lancer is still on sale in India.
[/quote]
Most Lancer parts prices were rationalized by localization by HM. Things like radiator, condensor etc are quite expensive though. Others, one can very easily source in Bangalore or elsewhere from Taiwanese parts manufacturers.
Baleno is a good car with better grunt than the Lancer, but the latter handles way better. Also, for me the Baleno rear is not palatable ...
Old 25th June 2011, 12:39   #25

Well guys going from the discussions, can I conclude that, I should just casually check around whose spares are available at ease and at what cost, since their availability is somewhat location specific, according to Mayankjha and WhiteKnight.

It has come down to Lancer for me ( since have always loved it ).

Have read somewhere in this forum, that pre '02 models are the ones that are better than the latter ones since Mitsui was taken over by HM. So if I am looking for a such an old model,then[list][*] What should be the maximum odo reading that I should look for?[*]How important is the number of ownerships?[*]What are the disadvantages (if any) of buying from a dealer?[*]Is there an approximate price band (excluding the condition of the vehicle) according to the year of manufacture?[*]I have my own trusted mechanic to look into the technical stuff, but is there anything specific to Lancers, that should be taken into account while inspecting the vehicle?[*][left]Generally for how many kms is the stock engine of Lancer operational without giving any major breakdown?

Last but not the least Thanks a lot to all the Bhpians.
Old 25th June 2011, 12:56   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Have read somewhere in this forum, that pre '02 models are the ones that are better than the latter ones since Mitsui was taken over by HM. So if I am looking for a such an old model,then[list][*] What should be the maximum odo reading that I should look for?
Congrats you made an excellent decision. My lancer is a 2002 model and has run around 72k kms. In all this time it has never given me any trouble whatsoever. Other then regular service and a tyre change at 40k kms I didn't spend any extra money on it.

In Delhi though people somehow fancy Lancers side view mirrors. I have been robbed of them 3 times and really fed up with it. But I guess this is something common to all cars.

Once again congrats. You will love your ride.
Old 26th June 2011, 19:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on making your choice :-) Its a great choice IMO. Now for finding a good specimen.
Quote:
Have read somewhere in this forum, that pre '02 models are the ones that are better than the latter ones since Mitsui was taken over by HM. So if I am looking for a such an old model,then
Pre 2002, almost all parts were imported. That said, the most important parts were still imported (suspension, brakes, engine parts etc) from Japan even in 2003. I bought in Apr 2003. No mechanical or engine problems till date (knock on wood). My car has seen some lunar surfaces, BLR mountain speedbreakers, and off-road like trails posing as NH, and it still rides nicely.

HM did not takeover Mitsu anytime, just that they started local sourcing of some of the parts to reduce spare prices and increase margins. The really bad stuff (read quality compromise) started post 2005. For eg. local brake rotors which don't last much. In some cases, they have reverted to imported parts again due to negative feedback. In late 2007, I changed front brake rotor pair for <3.5k (local stuff), where has this year, I changed the same for ~6K per piece (imported Mitsu spares). Though I may have contributed to the rotor wear due to brake pad replacement delay, I am told many people faced issues with warping etc.

Quote:
[list][*] What should be the maximum odo reading that I should look for?
80k should be alright. Probably even 90k. Lancer engines are very reliable, but look for whether major (80k) service is already done, and parts like timing belt, suspension bushes/arms etc replaced if the car has higher kms.
Ofcourse, this depends on what mods you're planning to do ? MIVEC heart transplant ??
Quote:
[*]How important is the number of ownerships?
Single owner is best, but it maybe difficult to locate 7-10 year old specimens with 1 owner.
Quote:
[*]What are the disadvantages (if any) of buying from a dealer?
You have to discount whatever they say, and do extra due diligence. Other than that, many folks (including our GTO) have bought from a used car dealer - car company used car dealerships are a bit better I guess than the small operators
Quote:
[*]I have my own trusted mechanic to look into the technical stuff, but is there anything specific to Lancers, that should be taken into account while inspecting the vehicle?
Check the condition of the radiator, condensor, AC compressor. Not that these are trouble makers, but they do cost a lot if somethings wrong. Radiator + condensor costs over Rs. 30k. Compressor is very expensive too.
Check the power window mechanisms and electrical aspects. They can be reliability issues and cost a good bit
Don't know if you'll replace with a sports suspension etc as part of your mods, otherwise, a good dekko of the suspension, and of noises etc while driving is common sense. Lancer independent rear suspension is expensive relative to those torsion-bar setups...
Check out vid6639's Lancer SFXi thread to see other potential gremlins.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 26th June 2011 at 19:10.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:57   #28

Well, thanks a lot Bhpian's for helping me out. Finally bought a Mitusbishi Lancer Slxi 1.5, a 2002 model for 1.25L. Its 57K on the Odo, but still the engine is showing no signs of aging. Would not have gotten more than what I have, at the said price.
Thanks again, its an amazing forum and kudos to the Mods for maintaining it so well.
Regards.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, thanks a lot Bhpian's for helping me out. Finally bought a Mitusbishi Lancer Slxi 1.5, a 2002 model for 1.25L. Its 57K on the Odo, but still the engine is showing no signs of aging. Would not have gotten more than what I have, at the said price.
Thanks again, its an amazing forum and kudos to the Mods for maintaining it so well.
Regards.
1.25L, SLXi and 57K is a good deal. Please get it checked at any A.S.S so that you will get an idea on replacements/repairs, if any needed.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regards.
Hey, congrats. Seems like a good deal. The mileage seems really low for the age. How about some update on how the car's doing and your experience ? What about mods ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks