Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 15:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacement for the Fiesta TDCi

Couple low running costs with easy availability of spares and the vast proven service network of Hyundai in India and ting ting ting!!! We have a winner here!!!

Laura will be a hoot to drive, no doubt, but expensive to own, maintain and service.

on the other hand you almost have a 5 lac rupee advantage with the Verna which does have a GEM of an engine and lots of equipment inside.

AND the best part. NO ONE will steal the parts from your car and replace them with old spares :-P (I am being a B***h, Skoda, sorry about that, but I so want Lambo to get a Verna)!

Last edited by frankmehta : 25th June 2011 at 15:32. Reason: Added B***hy comment :-P
Old 25th June 2011, 15:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Couple low running costs with easy availability of spares and the vast proven service network of Hyundai in India and ting ting ting!!! We have a winner here!!!

Laura will be a hoot to drive, no doubt, but expensive to own, maintain and service.

on the other hand you almost have a 5 lac rupee advantage with the Verna which does have a GEM of an engine and lots of equipment inside.

AND the best part. NO ONE will steal the parts from your car and replace them with old spares :-P (I am being a B***h, Skoda, sorry about that, but I so want Lambo to get a Verna)!
Haha! You make a very good point! Shall put that on the TD list and see how it works out as well.
However, more than any of the other factors, the way the car handles is of utmost importance to me. I have lived with a underpowered Fiesta for so long, but it still makes me smile every time I drive it because of the way it handles.
Old 25th June 2011, 16:45   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
So the vRS and Jetta are now on the waiting list, if I don't like the drive of the Laura DSG L&K. As you rightly said, it has started making a lot more sense! Thanks!!
The reason I was so keen on the Classic was because maybe I could have spent some money doing up the engine after a while as well. Do you have any idea if the suspension would be tuned differently? Otherwise I might as well get the TSi Classic or TDi L&K DSG.
The thing is that I have had this itch for a very long time to carry out simple mods to my car, and petrols are a lot more mod-friendly. I can get the vRS alloys and tyres for 60K, stanley nappa leather for around 60k as well, a vRS spoiler for 15K, and a Caska touchscreen HU for 60K as well and a further 20K for speakers and a sub. After the discount, I would get a near L&K spec car, with more power for nearly 5L less. I would however lose out on the Xenons and extra airbags and DSG gearbox. Also, my fuel costs would shoot up and resale would be lower.
The Vrs will definitely have a sports suspension, and may be a bit lower also.

The Classic Ambiente is ok but then you will miss out on rain sensing wipers, auto headlights. Another biiiig + for me for the L&K is the power seats and mirrors with memory. I'm sure there will be other people driving the car too, and if your like me (I need to adjust the seat perfectly before driving off) then the memory buttons will save you bigtime.

Are you sure about petrols being more mod friendly? I think as long as turboed, cars are simple enough to mod with big gains.

And yes simple mods are fun, but then a factory fit is something different.

And I'd disagree with frank - Forget the Verna. Powerful cars are no fun without good handling. Case in point my Accord - had to get Konis.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th June 2011 at 16:47.
Old 25th June 2011, 17:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Cruze was on the list because of the performance it offers, and I was hoping that the legroom wouldn't be an issue for the driver, but according to the review, the knee fowls with the center console.
+1

That's what I found too with the Cruze. But I'm only 5'8" to your 6'2" and mobike008 is 6'0" and finds the Cruze a perfect fit except for the lack if a dead pedal.

I think you should TD a Cruze and decide.

As for the Civic, it's sharp but the soft rear suspension even on the post-2009-facelift model would reduce its appeal as far as your requirements are concerned. Komi FSDs are a must but again there are warranty concerns around this upgrade.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably just get myself a Superb.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 18:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

International as well as domestic drive reports of the new Jetta do suggest it as a good overall Car, save for not so communicative steering.

What I believe is, once you get spoilt by a good handling Car with communicative steering, its just so hard to go back. Small niggles and lack of power (relatively) be damned.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 18:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Your comment on the other thread made me realize the twin was due for replacement

Have taken 2 TDs of the Cruze so far. I'm 6' tall & didn't really have any problems with the center console once I settled in but you will knock knees getting in & out. The turbo-lag is a real pain in the nether regions but is absent on the AT I'm told. Rear leg room is very very disappointing.

Rear Leg room is also at a premium on the Laura TSI & the Classic has really hard seats. Maybe you should push the twin replacement out to the September-October time frame, a few more options would be available in your price bracket.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 18:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Your comment on the other thread made me realize the twin was due for replacement

Have taken 2 TDs of the Cruze so far. I'm 6' tall & didn't really have any problems with the center console once I settled in but you will knock knees getting in & out. The turbo-lag is a real pain in the nether regions but is absent on the AT I'm told. Rear leg room is very very disappointing.

Rear Leg room is also at a premium on the Laura TSI & the Classic has really hard seats. Maybe you should push the twin replacement out to the September-October time frame, a few more options would be available in your price bracket.
To be honest, I don't care two hoots about rear legroom. I am getting a car that I will drive majority of the time alone, or with a driver in the passenger seat. My parents will rarely use this car, and hence backseat is not a very important consideration. Will call for a chevy TD, and the reason I am keen on the A/T is because of the absence of turbolag.
The twin is already almost out of the house, with me using our Octavia Combi for most part, so replacement is needed soon, but 2-3 months is an acceptable wait.
Apart from the Jetta and the vRS, are there any other cars to wait for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
International as well as domestic drive reports of the new Jetta do suggest it as a good overall Car, save for not so communicative steering.

What I believe is, once you get spoilt by a good handling Car with communicative steering, its just so hard to go back. Small niggles and lack of power (relatively) be damned.
That is exactly the problem I am facing. As a Fiesta TDCi owner, I love the handling and stiff suspension set up. The steering plays a big part in this. Recently drove a 2011 Ford Taurus in the USA, and though the car handled brilliantly, the steering was a big put off on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
+1

That's what I found too with the Cruze. But I'm only 5'8" to your 6'2" and mobike008 is 6'0" and finds the Cruze a perfect fit except for the lack if a dead pedal.

I think you should TD a Cruze and decide.

As for the Civic, it's sharp but the soft rear suspension even on the post-2009-facelift model would reduce its appeal as far as your requirements are concerned. Komi FSDs are a must but again there are warranty concerns around this upgrade.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably just get myself a Superb.

Regards,
spadix
A superb is too big for me at this stage. Civic is mostly out as well due to GC issues and suspension. My friend drives a city, and I hear it scrapping the bumps so often, that it hurts! However, a TD would be fun nonetheless. Who knows what might happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Vrs will definitely have a sports suspension, and may be a bit lower also.

The Classic Ambiente is ok but then you will miss out on rain sensing wipers, auto headlights. Another biiiig + for me for the L&K is the power seats and mirrors with memory. I'm sure there will be other people driving the car too, and if your like me (I need to adjust the seat perfectly before driving off) then the memory buttons will save you bigtime.

Are you sure about petrols being more mod friendly? I think as long as turboed, cars are simple enough to mod with big gains.

And yes simple mods are fun, but then a factory fit is something different.

And I'd disagree with frank - Forget the Verna. Powerful cars are no fun without good handling. Case in point my Accord - had to get Konis.
Well, the only other person driving the car would be my driver who would park it. However, the L&K does seem to make sense for some odd reason, but I can't justify the additional 5L to myself! Help would be appreciated! I can live without the auto everything and memory seats, and 5L for just an A/T gearbox and factory finish seems a little over the top for me.
Maybe I could get the Ambiente DSG and do that up a little bit, what say?
Is there any place where I can compare the features of the two variants? After getting the 17" vRS alloys, leather, and spoiler, and ICE installed, there is still a 1.5L difference between the two variants. Apart from the extra airbags, 6 additional speakers, auto wipers and headlamps, electric seats, and xenons, are there any other differences? What about the A.C.? Is it a manual one, or auto?
I guess with the TDi, I can still get Pete'd and a few such simple mods, so no issues with that. And it would give me an incentive to work hard and buy a tuner a couple of years down the line - something like a turbo-ed Cedia/Civic would be a hoot!
I saw an Accord V6 for 18L with the 3.5L engine, but due to color issues (it was black), it had to be left out.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th June 2011 at 18:52.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 18:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, the only other person driving the car would be my driver who would park it. However, the L&K does seem to make sense for some odd reason, but I can't justify the additional 5L to myself! Help would be appreciated! I can live without the auto everything and memory seats, and 5L for just an A/T gearbox and factory finish seems a little over the top for me.
Maybe I could get the Ambiente DSG and do that up a little bit, what say?
I guess with the TDi, I can still get Pete'd and a few such simple mods, so no issues with that. And it would give me an incentive to work hard and buy a tuner a couple of years down the line - something like a turbo-ed Cedia/Civic would be a hoot!
I saw an Accord V6 for 18L with the 3.5L engine, but due to color issues (it was black), it had to be left out.
Well glad it makes sense to you now because it is precisely what you are looking for IMO.

First take a TD see how you like the power, and then think about petes and all

Personally I would take the top end, because unlike many cars where the top end just has silly bits like chrome this and that, the Laura actually has many many features which make it feel many segments higher than the lower models. I mean even the steering mounted controls make a big difference in terms of convenience. You can also get the bluetooth module.

I think don't bother yourself too much now, go to the showroom take some TDs, check out the different trim levels in person.
Old 25th June 2011, 18:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well glad it makes sense to you now because it is precisely what you are looking for IMO.

First take a TD see how you like the power, and then think about petes and all

Personally I would take the top end, because unlike many cars where the top end just has silly bits like chrome this and that, the Laura actually has many many features which make it feel many segments higher than the lower models. I mean even the steering mounted controls make a big difference in terms of convenience. You can also get the bluetooth module.

I think don't bother yourself too much now, go to the showroom take some TDs, check out the different trim levels in person.
Shall do that. I saw the elegance the other day at the showroom and requested for a TD. However, the dealer has yet to call me. The Tata-Fiat dealer on the other hand was much more responsive!
The L&K does indeed have some nicer features, and I guess I need to get behind the dealer to get a TD soon. Plus, dad is keener I get an A/T too, and being a diesel fan himself, he is pushing me for the Skoda too.

How come no one has said anything about the Outlander? I thought it would be a good drive.
Old 25th June 2011, 20:24   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shall do that. I saw the elegance the other day at the showroom and requested for a TD. However, the dealer has yet to call me. The Tata-Fiat dealer on the other hand was much more responsive!
The L&K does indeed have some nicer features, and I guess I need to get behind the dealer to get a TD soon. Plus, dad is keener I get an A/T too, and being a diesel fan himself, he is pushing me for the Skoda too.

How come no one has said anything about the Outlander? I thought it would be a good drive.
Haven't driven the Outlander, but from what I can tell its size will make it a bit difficult for everyday city driving. Considering you have said no for the Superb I don't see how you are considering this. Also this has a CVT gearbox which wont be anywhere close to the DSG. But its got a banging Rockford Fosgate system.
Old 25th June 2011, 21:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Options I am looking at: Mitsubishi Outlander
Honda Civic V M/T
Skoda Laura TSi/TDi
Chevrolet Cruze A/T
Fiat Linea T-JET Plus
Ford Fiesta (New) 1.5 TDCi
Advice would be appreciated!
Great mix you have there…! Appreciate the fact that you did not limit your choices based on the max. budget.

Some thoughts based on your OP and subsequent responses
  1. Check out the Laura Elegance TDI CR DSG, and also the TSI Petrol. The latter will help you to gauge a bit of what can be expected in the Laura RS (at least on the engine capability)
  2. Good to see Linea T-Jet as an option there, but your personal TD impression does not look very promising
  3. That’s a sensible decision to include the new Fiesta in there, especially since you are an existing Ford owner. Reviews are not electrifying, but not many negatives as well. Maybe it’s worth to wait for a TD.
  4. New Jetta will be a good one to wait for as well, but I am not sure if it will satisfy an enthusiast, say in comparison with the Laura. Nevertheless, it’s a good looking car with classic lines.
  5. You mentioned Superb is big for you. Then cars like Outlander and VW Passat also will fail the size test.
Happy Shopping!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 23:36   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Great mix you have there…! Appreciate the fact that you did not limit your choices based on the max. budget.

Some thoughts based on your OP and subsequent responses
  1. Check out the Laura Elegance TDI CR DSG, and also the TSI Petrol. The latter will help you to gauge a bit of what can be expected in the Laura RS (at least on the engine capability)
  2. Good to see Linea T-Jet as an option there, but your personal TD impression does not look very promising
  3. That’s a sensible decision to include the new Fiesta in there, especially since you are an existing Ford owner. Reviews are not electrifying, but not many negatives as well. Maybe it’s worth to wait for a TD.
  4. New Jetta will be a good one to wait for as well, but I am not sure if it will satisfy an enthusiast, say in comparison with the Laura. Nevertheless, it’s a good looking car with classic lines.
  5. You mentioned Superb is big for you. Then cars like Outlander and VW Passat also will fail the size test.
Happy Shopping!
Thanks!
Plan to TD both of the engines before taking the final call. While the Outlander might be long, I have heard many members report how much easier an SUV type of vehicle is to drive in the city, and hence it is there in the options list.
The Linea T-Jet is a superb car no doubt, but just not as comfortable in terms of ergonomics as I hoped it to be. My foot slipped off the accelerator multiple times during my short 5km TD, and this is something that has never happened to me in any other car!

Quote:
Haven't driven the Outlander, but from what I can tell its size will make it a bit difficult for everyday city driving. Considering you have said no for the Superb I don't see how you are considering this. Also this has a CVT gearbox which wont be anywhere close to the DSG. But its got a banging Rockford Fosgate system.
I believe (rather hope) that the CVT limitations can be overcome by using the paddle shift to change gears. Also, as I mentioned above, lots of members find driving a higher SUV in the city a lot more easier than an equivalent sedan and hence it is on the list.

Also, just checked ACI, and the length of the vehicle is around 4640mm. The Superb is around 48xx and the Laura is around 45xx. So hopefully this wouldn't be a big issue. Also, more than length, the car isn't as wide as the Superb and the like, and for city driving length doesn't make as much of an issue as width does for squeezing into gaps. Am i right?

How does a pre-owned 2010 Outlander with 14Kkm done for 18L sound? That is nearly 6L off the price of a new one!
Old 26th June 2011, 10:37   #28
Team-BHP Support

lambo ; Given a thought to the Yeti? The only downside is, its a M/T.

Impressions suggest it to be a good handler and looks nice in a good way. A cheaper X1 if you ask me.

BTW, the Outlander is tempting
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 10:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
lambo ; Given a thought to the Yeti? The only downside is, its a M/T.

Impressions suggest it to be a good handler and looks nice in a good way. A cheaper X1 if you ask me.

BTW, the Outlander is tempting
No, not really. The Yeti hasn't caught my attention as yet, though it is a fully loaded vehicle. I can live with the M/T, and the 140hp would be fun to use, but space is a big concern for me, and the Yeti doesn't have much. However, I will read up on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have asked for an Outlander TD. Apart from Mercedes and Fiat, none of the other dealers have gotten back to me. Chevrolet and Honda claim they need 3 days to arrange for a TD, which according to me is pure nonsense!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 15:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the Outlander might be long, I have heard many members report how much easier an SUV type of vehicle is to drive in the city, and hence it is there in the options list.
That is true. An SUV is vastly easier to "drive" in the city because people just give away when they see a hulk looming up in their RVMs (assuming they have 'em). I distinctly remember how I felt like Moses parting the Sea when driving a Safari in crowded Bengaluru.

It's a different issue when it comes to parking or taking quick U-turns.

On the length issue: While you're true that width matters more in terms of navigating thick city traffic, a vehicle too long leaves with you little safety margin when overtaking heavy (read: high-momentum and can't brake fast enough) vehicles from the slow lane. Why are such moves even necessary? Think of a situation where there's an auto-rickshaw/tempo or another truck in the slow lane. One vehicle type can't move (truck), the other won't (auto/tempo) and you'll be stuck behind them forever. I found this vastly easier to do in my old puny 800 than with my current Civic, despite the significant power advantage.

Quote:
How does a pre-owned 2010 Outlander with 14Kkm done for 18L sound? That is nearly 6L off the price of a new one!
The running costs would be pretty high given where petrol prices are. I don't know if that's a concern. Probably isn't, considering you're open to getting an RS!

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but increasingly I think the DSG-equipped Lauras seem the best bet given your needs. If only something like the Civic Type-R or Octy vRS was around...

If you're OK with buying used, you'll get a *good* used Civic for a song. Warranty is no longer a concern. Soup 'er up with them Koni FSDs (takes care of soft suspension and scrapes), throw in exhaust and air intake mods (takes care of low-end grunt) and an ICE of your choice and you've got pretty much the perfect car. At the end of it all, you'll be left with enough cash to do it all over again!

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 26th June 2011 at 15:08.

Most Viewed