Team-BHP - Replacement for the Fiesta TDCi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Replacement for the Fiesta TDCi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/103421-replacement-fiesta-tdci-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 2419825)
Well, with the removal of the Jazz, I have even begun looking at the Vento 1.6 TDi quite seriously. While it won't have an A/T gearbox as in the Jetta, it offers a nice compact city car, which is well built, but not very posh (by bombay automobile standards). With me looking for jobs and the like, many friends have told me to ba careful about the car I get as it could be portray incorrect impressions about me, and my work ethic.
After driving the fiesta today, for what might be one of the last rides ever if not the last, I realized what a boon the compact dimensions actually, and is possibly the only reason for me even looking at the Vento and New Fiesta. The superb visibility, and minimal turbo-lag only help. To be honest, the one car the house lacks is a rough, compact sedan. The Fiesta fit the bill perfectly, but I don't know if the Jetta would. Only a test drive will tell.

Well, that bring back the original list I suggested earlier (see below): :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san
With the parameters mentioned, here is how I will re-work the list
1. New Jetta – If you can wait, this is the best option IMO.
2.New Fiesta Titanium (Petrol/Diesel) – Test drive yourself and see if that fits your requirement (I feel, that’s a much better option than the Figo)
3.Vento TDI – If you have Polo in the list, why not the Vento?

And I will say, what your friends said is correct to an extent, especially in our corporate context. And by starting with a compact car of your own, you will have the joy of upgrading every now and then :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2421000)
Well, that bring back the original list I suggested earlier (see below): :)

And I will say, what your friends said is correct to an extent, especially in our corporate context. And by starting with a compact car of your own, you will have the joy of upgrading every now and then :D

Well, what can I say! The heart wants one thing, the mind slowly pacifies it over time!
With that thought (start small, and upgrade), I have even had recommendations to get a Polo and the like. Will be doing some TDs this week, now that I am back in town. Let's hope we can decide on something soon!

Have you seen the linea Tjet. I would recomend that also looking at your concern of the image issues you may have for job hunting.

Loved the car, hated the ergonomics! My foot kept on slipping off the pedals, and fuel prices are sky high!
Also given that my running is yet unknown, diesel would be a safer bet.

As of now, only the Cruze LTZ A/T and the NFF have to impress me.
The Jetta is out due to the very high probability of spares being unavailable. Already facing issues with our Octavia, coupled with its high maintainance costs.
Similarly, the Vento impressed me, but the steering always fouled with my knee when depressing the clutch. Tried various seating positions, but none worked! However, will try it again. Also, the power didn't impress me much either. Wonder how the NFF will feel like.

However, with no replacement in sight, it looks like the Fiesta is here for a while. Hope Ford launches the Focus fast!

The new Jetta is confirmed for mid August. If the dealer in my city is correct, only diesel will come initially, and price will be from 14 to 18 lakhs.

Hi!

Waiting for driving impressions of the Cruz and the Ford Fiesta. Cruz AT is a nice VFM Car though and looks the part.
I am some how not very impressed with the way the Fiesta's boot is designed, the classic does look so much better, like a classic should :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2446585)
Hi!

Waiting for driving impressions of the Cruz and the Ford Fiesta. Cruz AT is a nice VFM Car though and looks the part.
I am some how not very impressed with the way the Fiesta's boot is designed, the classic does look so much better, like a classic should :D

Guess this is directed at Lambhorgini. But will add my Rs0.02/- anyway ;)

A longish report of the TD of the NFF:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2441565

Quick notes on the Cruze: An absolute joy on the highway, with it's huge torque. Suspension is on the firmer side. Good stable braking. An upgrade on the tyres and it should be even more fun. Seat ergonomics questionable. Interiors quality moderate. Rear seat cramped, especially for it's price segment. Acceptably good to drive in the city, unless you have a lot of bumper to bumper traffic.

ACI reports of a new Cruze on the horizon with improved interiors and a new engine which is even more powerful. I think there is a thread about this on the forum itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2439423)
The new Jetta is confirmed for mid August. If the dealer in my city is correct, only diesel will come initially, and price will be from 14 to 18 lakhs.

Looking forward to it! Hope VW doesn't disappoint. Dealers here are talking about an October launch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2446585)
Hi!

Still haven't had the opportunity. The Cruze A/T is never around for a T.D. and the Fiesta guys don't seem interested at all.
However, the Cruze looked and felt very good, and I was impressed! The only sore point was the lack of legroom in the back. Hopefully, will spend some more time with the car to see if anything can be done about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poitive (Post 2447886)
Guess this is directed at Lambhorgini. But will add my Rs0.02/- anyway ;)

A longish report of the TD of the NFF:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2441565

Quick notes on the Cruze: An absolute joy on the highway, with it's huge torque. Suspension is on the firmer side. Good stable braking. An upgrade on the tyres and it should be even more fun. Seat ergonomics questionable. Interiors quality moderate. Rear seat cramped, especially for it's price segment. Acceptably good to drive in the city, unless you have a lot of bumper to bumper traffic.

ACI reports of a new Cruze on the horizon with improved interiors and a new engine which is even more powerful. I think there is a thread about this on the forum itself.

Superb job with the reviews!
How would you rate the handling and body roll of the Cruze in comparison to the NFF?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 2447900)
Superb job with the reviews!
How would you rate the handling and body roll of the Cruze in comparison to the NFF?

Cruze experience wasn't really a proper TD, but a much longer drive with focus on a million issues being discussed. What I expect:

Upto 70-90kmph - NFF.
Above that - Cruze.

Consider upgrading tyres on the Cruze. Possibly harder tyres. It has more than enough power/torque, so it should not hurt much. It should be a LOT more FTD than the NFF. Drive the NFF after a Cruze and you may find it unacceptably dull on the engine performance front.

Edit: I don't remember the discussions in this thread well enough. But if you are looking at crisp and agile handling with excellent feedback - Linea. After 80 or so, the smaller cars (NFF, Linea, Vento) don't feel anywhere as composed as say a Cruze or an Optra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poitive (Post 2447909)
Cruze experience wasn't really a proper TD, but a much longer drive with focus on a million issues being discussed. What I expect:

Upto 70-90kmph - NFF.
Above that - Cruze.

Consider upgrading tyres on the Cruze. Possibly harder tyres. It has more than enough power/torque, so it should not hurt much. It should be a LOT more FTD than the NFF. Drive the NFF after a Cruze and you may find it unacceptably dull on the engine performance front.

Edit: I don't remember the discussions in this thread well enough. But if you are looking at crisp and agile handling with excellent feedback - Linea. After 80 or so, the smaller cars (NFF, Linea, Vento) don't feel anywhere as composed as say a Cruze or an Optra.

Ok, because my experience with the current Fiesta has been superb on the handling front, be it at any speed. While the bigger cars no doubt feel more composed, I appreciate the fiesta's stiff suspension set up for its composed feeling when hitting the odd bump/undulation on the road. In fact, I have found that even when I hit a mini speed breaker at a higher speed (which is a rare occurrence on only happens on poorly lit roads which one hasn't driven much on), the Fiesta takes it better than majority of other cars a segment higher.
As I have not driven the Cruze and the NFF, I cannot comment.
The only car that came close in that regard was the Linea, however, the pedal placement, and niggling issues were a turn off. In a house full of aging European cars, which need attention one after the other, reliability is a top priority!
In fact, due to issues cropping up, we are actually looking at replacing the E Class first, as the Fiesta still remains a dependable daily drive barring a few niggling issues. The Merc on the other hand, doesn't feel as dependable any more.

However, if we do change the Fiesta before, the Cruze and NFF are the only contenders remaining to see, and it will all boil down to how well it handles, and body roll. The news of the new Focus being unveiled soon are tempting me to hold on to the Fiesta for a while longer, but only time will tell. A major niggle or a break down in either the Fiesta or the Merc could see changes taking place sooner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 2448968)
Ok, because my experience with the current Fiesta has been superb on the handling front, be it at any speed. While the bigger cars no doubt feel more composed, I appreciate the fiesta's stiff suspension set up for its composed feeling when hitting the odd bump/undulation on the road. In fact, I have found that even when I hit a mini speed breaker at a higher speed (which is a rare occurrence on only happens on poorly lit roads which one hasn't driven much on), the Fiesta takes it better than majority of other cars a segment higher.

I understand you a bit better now, Lambhorgini. Don't think you would be looking to squeeze the last 10k worth from your purchase. Keep the price and Cruze aside. Don't compare the NFF with the 1.6 it was expected to come with, remember that it is an EPS - it should not disappoint you, even if it doesn't excite you. When one keeps the price in mind, one expects more from the car. Would suggest you to take this TD before the Cruze, though.

Quote:

However, if we do change the Fiesta before, the Cruze and NFF are the only contenders remaining to see, and it will all boil down to how well it handles, and body roll.
In your TDs, consider how the Cruze will feel with harder tyres which are 10mm oversize.

Now, let us do one thing. I have only been able to check so much in those 20-30 minute TDs. While driving the Cruze, my mind was focused on many other things than how the car felt. I'll put down how I would expect those cars in various situations. Later once you do TD the cars, you could comment on how it actually felt.

Particulars -
NFF - Cruze on harder and 10mm+ tyres - Post BS4 Optra Magnum (just for fun)Now the one really important for you.

Body roll - The NFF and Cruze are pretty stiff. The Optra rolls, however once you get used to it and still push it despite the roll, it doesn't feel too bad. Can handle more than the roll suggests, probably due to it's AWIS and low CG, reenforced chassis etc.

Gosh! I seemed to have prepared a homework list for you :D
Would be interesting to hear your comments after your TDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poitive (Post 2449314)
Gosh! I seemed to have prepared a homework list for you :D
Would be interesting to hear your comments after your TDs.

Thanks so much Poitive!
I look forward to the work. Hopefully I get an opportunity to TD them soon. However, I have postponed the decision for a while, as we are looking at replacing the E first, and finances are tight for two cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 2418513)
Until now, the list looks like:
- Jetta
- Jazz
- Laura
- Fiesta 1.5 TDCi

New Jetta is a cheapened version (if I'm not mistaken) with twist beam suspension. Not to mention it has generic VW breadbox styling which we will be cursed with on all VWs for another 4-5 years.

I would go for it and negotiate huge discounts based on the fact that a new one is coming. Interiors are better than Laura anyday.

I recently drove the new Jetta here in Vancouver. The petrol comes with a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine. Diesel is the same 2.0 CR TDI. I am not sure which engine will make it to India. Its most likely to have 2.0TSI petrol and 2.0 CR TDi.

Also keep in mind that the new Jetta when launched in India would be substantially more expensive than the Laura and to my guess only the top end will come with DSG box.

If I were you, I would certainly pick the base version of the diesel Laura or the base petrol Laura if I need the punch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 2452516)
Thanks so much Poitive!
I look forward to the work. Hopefully I get an opportunity to TD them soon. However, I have postponed the decision for a while, as we are looking at replacing the E first, and finances are tight for two cars.

You are welcome mate :)

Would look forward to your comments, whenever that might be. Do quote the post, so that one gets a PM about it.

The current E Class looks, well, classy! Always preferred BMW's looks, but it is the current E series which gives it good competition in my book of looks! (ah, that even rhymes!)

I might be able to add very little value to the replacement to the E, but would like to follow your thought process. If you start a thread for it, do post a link here mate.

So looking towards the 5 series? Ah, on that note, BMW's usually look good in white or light colours, as their creases show out so much better. Seeing a Black X6 was so much of a disappointment after having seen and admired a few White ones.