Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:12   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Replacement for the Fiesta TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
New Jetta is a cheapened version (if I'm not mistaken) with twist beam suspension. Not to mention it has generic VW breadbox styling which we will be cursed with on all VWs for another 4-5 years.
The torsion beam set-up is only for the US-spec Jetta. What’s arriving on Indian shores is the Euro Jetta, which have multi-link set up for the rear suspension (same as Golf). I felt this car have much more street presence than the outgoing model. Not a big charmer, but not offensive looking as well
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:03   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got BHP? View Post
I recently drove the new Jetta here in Vancouver. The petrol comes with a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine. Diesel is the same 2.0 CR TDI. I am not sure which engine will make it to India. Its most likely to have 2.0TSI petrol and 2.0 CR TDi.

Also keep in mind that the new Jetta when launched in India would be substantially more expensive than the Laura and to my guess only the top end will come with DSG box.

If I were you, I would certainly pick the base version of the diesel Laura or the base petrol Laura if I need the punch.
The Laura is out of contention. Firstly I am disappointed with their service stations after my recent visit with our Octavia.
If there is any VW group car that is under consideration, it is the Jetta when it launches. However, I am not keeping my expectations up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
New Jetta is a cheapened version (if I'm not mistaken) with twist beam suspension. Not to mention it has generic VW breadbox styling which we will be cursed with on all VWs for another 4-5 years.

I would go for it and negotiate huge discounts based on the fact that a new one is coming. Interiors are better than Laura anyday.
While I would love to get the current version, I do not want to be stuck in a position where I would have an issue with parts. Already facing small issues with the Octavia, and do not want a repeat.
Due to recent breakdowns, reliability it becoming of prime importance as well.
Would also like an A/T if possible. Recent drives on congested roads are making me re-think. However, if the Jetta were available in Comfortline trim, I might have been more tempted. The gray interiors of the Trendline feel very cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
You are welcome mate

Would look forward to your comments, whenever that might be. Do quote the post, so that one gets a PM about it.

The current E Class looks, well, classy! Always preferred BMW's looks, but it is the current E series which gives it good competition in my book of looks! (ah, that even rhymes!)

I might be able to add very little value to the replacement to the E, but would like to follow your thought process. If you start a thread for it, do post a link here mate.

So looking towards the 5 series? Ah, on that note, BMW's usually look good in white or light colours, as their creases show out so much better. Seeing a Black X6 was so much of a disappointment after having seen and admired a few White ones.
Not looking at the 5 series at all! The new one lacks character. Not a pure driver's vehicle anymore, and not the best to be chauffeured around in either. The engines are good, and the gearbox great. However, the interiors leave much to be desired with the very boring and standard design.
Also, we have an E60 525d in the family, and when compared side by side, I personally feel the E60 to be a more special car simply due to the character it has in it. One of the last of the true BMWs!
The Audi A6 is much more appealing, and the Mercedes Benz E 250 CDI
is the VFM option. As we don't want to spend a huge amount and strain finances, the E250CDI seems to be the winner. Though it won't be the most reliable, its other qualities make it a very endearing buy.
However, the A6 looks like a possible winner if the price is 55L. Slightly more expensive than the E250 CDi with a corporate registration, and with a great engine, great interiors, and some other useful features. Will get the pricelist soon. Sorry for going
Old 21st August 2011, 22:37   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the A6, and the price was on par with the competition. As that is going to be a chauffeur driven family car, looking at the 2.0TDi.

Anyways, back on topic, the fiesta is definitely on its way out. At some point, i'll need to take out my bass tube as well.
However, the replacement discussions are becoming very interesting. We are back to considering petrols provided they are below 10L, and have done low kms (if used).
Saw a very nice Civic V A/T for 8.75L, done 12,500kms. However, the car has been sold it seems.
The other option is that we retain the E270. It presently has a resale value of 14L, and is in quite good conditions. At present we plan on getting an estimate to sort out the small niggles present in the car (heavy smoking under acceleration, and gears not downshifting after a point, and the car refuses to accelerate over 100kmph. In fact, the fiesta with its puny 68HP engine does 140kmph on stretches where the merc manages to do 110), and based on that we will make a decision. As long as the repairs can be carried out for below 2L, we might keep that. The reason being that the book value of the car is 17L, and if we sell it for 14L, we would have to show a loss of 3L, and given that the car is a beast to drive compared to all the other cars in that price range, it might make more sense to keep the E270 for another 3-5 years.
In fact, apart from the reliability issues, the merc has aged very well and is in perfect condition.
If not, we will be looking for a car in the 10-15L price range again, and the only contender seems to be the new Fiesta. Ideally I would have preferred the old Fiesta in ZXi trim, with the 1.6L mill and ABS, however without ABS, it is a NO-NO for me. Only the SXi has ABS, and that is a tad too expensive for such an old (but lovely) model.

The Cruze sadly isn't available for a test drive, as it seems to be in the garage undergoing some form of repairs every time I ask for one. The case is similar with the Fiesta, where I have actually recieved a call from Ford Chennai asking for a TD, but no one from a dealer has followed up as yet. If the E Class doesn't work out, I shall be sending a very nasty email to Ford and Chevy highlighting this issue.
After 3 Fords since 2000, I would expect them to be courteous to such repeat customers, but to no avail.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:57   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Just thought of updating the thread: The fiesta completed 85Kkm this sunday, and was gone on Monday. A great car, that I shall hopefully get to drive again as she is currently doing the odd job at office.
The replacement for her is the 2004 E270 CDI, which though expensive to maintain, is no doubt the best car one can get under 20L (14L market value of the E + 6L on maintenance over the next few years approximated). We also picked up the Etios Liva D which is being used as a car for the chores and odd jobs at home (which the Fiesta did extremely well, and something the Mercedes is not designed to do).

If I had a choice today, I would have picked up a Vento D, or a Jetta DSG if I needed an upgrade. However, the merc totally kills these cars in each and every regard barring reliability and ease of driving (still to get used to the huge size)

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks