Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2020, 19:30   #136
BHPian

Re: Requesting suggestions - to buy a beater car, preferably something pre-owned.

For a food processing/catering/delivery business, nothing beats an Omni/Eeco in my opinion. But finding a non abused used vehicle of either of these models is very hard as they are often driven by employees rather than the owners and tend to be kept longer.
Old 26th January 2020, 19:40   #137
BHPian

Re: Requesting suggestions - to buy a beater car, preferably something pre-owned.

Hi. Of all the cars mentioned by you, I would recommend a Wagon-R, In my opinion it fulfils your major requirements of:

1. Budget. (1 to 2 lacs)
2. Decent Space.
3. Ease of maintenance.
4. Good mileage.

Regarding the Honda Civic, you mentioned the maintenance and availability of spares, might be at a premium.

You can find a well maintained Wagon-R used by an individual, much more easily.

Please Note : Adding a CNG will affect the boot space, Wagon-R, is known to be fuel efficient, may not require a CNG.

Best Luck.
Old 26th January 2020, 19:43   #138
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Assuming you'd end up buying a 10+ year old car, make sure you can get reliable service support and parts availablity isn't a problem. In my experience, this won't be a problem if you choose any of the cars from the Maruti stable like Omni, Eeco, Wagon R (not sure about Esteem though).

Last edited by NPV : 26th January 2020 at 19:45.
Old 26th January 2020, 20:27   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrvenkataraman View Post
budget of 1 lakh
pre-owned
bringing materials weighing not more than 250 kgs.
Good amount of space
Easier maintenance
Good mileage

Maruti Omni
You don't have a better option than Omni which could tick all of your requirements. That's the most affordable & capable MPV which can still serve you when the load requirements exceeds in future (more than twice the current requirement)
Old 26th January 2020, 20:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
You don't have a better option than Omni which could tick all of your requirements. That's the most affordable & capable MPV which can still serve you when the load requirements exceeds in future (more than twice the current requirement)

Is it wise to consider an OMNI that's older than 8-10 years? I see many 2004 range omnis listed with 60-70k kms on the odo. So, what would be a prudent thing to do?

Also, for people who support Wagon-R - would a 2006-2007 WagonR with 60-70k on the odo be a prudent buy for less than 1L?
Old 26th January 2020, 20:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
6. Tata Nano
7. Tata Indica
Not sure about the availability of the Eeco or Omni in that price range, but I can tell you that a well maintained Nano Twist will easily be able to carry the load you mentioned, albeit without a LPG or CNG tank. The Nano CNG gives great mileage but is quite rare and does not have PS. The Nano can be less than 5 years old and that means it is still early in its life. Avoid the pre 2014 models.

The issue with a 10+ year old Esteem or Honda City is the general decay of parts. Recently our Esteem went for a 15k service because the electric fan conked off and the driver mistakenly drove on resulting in damage to other parts. When the car works, it is amazing. But when there is an issue, it can end up costing more than the car. If you are willing to take that risk, good Wagon Rs and Estilos may be available in that price range. Also check the Santro Xing.

I'll also suggest being very careful about an aftermarket gas kit installation. It may work well for a few thousand kilometers, but when the issues start they cascade. We face an issue that even the Hyundai ASS cannot rectify on our Xcent CNG which has a factory fitted kit.
Old 26th January 2020, 21:12   #142
BHPian

I found a used Maruti SX4 a 2009 model that's run for over 80k kms, at 1.1L rupees.

https://www.marutisuzukitruevalue.co...hoc2Y4tVvcfyP8

But it's fourth owner. Would it be worth getting? What are the disadvantages of getting a car that's shifted more than one hand, in this case - 3 hands.
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:26   #143
BHPian

Quote:
But it's fourth owner. Would it be worth getting? What are the disadvantages of getting a car that's shifted more than one hand, in this case - 3 hands.

I Would suggest you to stay away from this car, as you would be the fourth owner.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd February 2020 at 21:29. Reason: Removed URL from quoted post. Thanks.
Old 4th February 2020, 05:36   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I am from Chennai. I am running a food processing business in outskirts of Chennai (near Perungalathur) and gone are the days where I can do purchases and deliveries in TVS-XL.....
1. Maruti Eeco
2. Maruti Omni
3. Maruti Esteem
4. Maruti Wagon R
5. Honda City (if i could get such a sweet deal as my brother in law, i'll take it in a heart beat, esp with 10 year package provided by Honda now)
6. Tata Nano
7. Tata Indica
If it is strictly for ferrying around goods, I'd avoid going max bang-for-buck route. Avoid the Honda as things can potentially get expensive maintenance wise. A new clutch or a suspension overhaul on a City is much more expensive compared to that of a WagonR, Eeco or Omni.

Stick to Marutis or Hyundais. Have you tried the looking for an old Santro?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th February 2020 at 05:37.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:50   #145
BHPian

Re: Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees

If you are okay to spend extra on maintenance and fuel; pick City, Corolla, SX4, Esteem or any other car that you find it to be owned by good owner has been kept well.

Of course, you will need to ensure if any of the shortlisted car also satisfies the load carrying capacity (all 250 kilos in boot?) , easy loading/unloading and dimensions of goods to fit into the car.

If you want low maintenance (read cheaper parts) and good fuel economy, prefer the Omni, Wagon R or Eeco.
Old 9th July 2020, 18:41   #146
BHPian

Pre-owned car for Wife

Hi guys !
Currently we are looking to buy a car for my wife, who is re-learning driving after a gap of 7 years since she learnt it the last time ! :P

Our budget is limited to max. 3.0L, thus looking for a pre-Owned cars.
The criteria that we have zeroed down, are :
1. Price : Maximum 3.0L
2. Hatchback
3. Safe enough to be taken on highways occasionally
4. Basic Safety : With Airbags / ABS - preferred.
5. Manufacturing year : 2010 and ahead, since we plan to keep this car for 3 years minimum.
6. Fuel type : Petrol - Having 3 Diesel cars in the house, I have been bearing the brunt of high maintenance since long time.

Couple of searches on CarWale/ Droom came up with Honda Brio / Maruti Suzuki Alto / Nissan Micra etc.
With Micra & Brio, I am a bit skeptical regd. maintenance / spare availability since the cars have been discontinued and the models available were pre-2014.
With Alto, I am not sure about the safety quotient.

Requesting for your suggestions on any other makes / models !
Old 9th July 2020, 19:31   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-owned car for Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
looking to buy a car for my wife, who is re-learning driving after a gap of 7 years

Price : Maximum 3.0L
Basic Safety : With Airbags / ABS - preferred.
Manufacturing year : 2010 and ahead
Fuel type : Petrol
My suggestions:

1. Ritz zxi 2011 or later
2. Swift zxi 2011 or later
3. Toyota Liva V or VX
4. Hyundai i10 Asta 2011 or later
5. Honda Jazz 2010-13

Do not go with the Micra or Pulse.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 19:32   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys !
Currently we are looking to buy a car for my wife, who is re-learning driving after a gap of 7 years since she learnt it the last time ! :P
The Brio is a good choice! Small, Peppy and decent Safety features on offer. The engine is definitely a big USP regarding Brio and offers good mileage too! Regarding the discontinued status of Brio, the engine used is the same as seen on outgoing Amaze, WR-V, Jazz and the car itself is pretty reliable. So, mechanicals shouldn't pose much issues in long term too!

The next best option I would recommend is Maruti Ritz Petrol. Great amount of space and you can get the ZXI(little rare) or the VXI(ABS model) well within your budget. The K-Series motor is stellar. This again is a discontinued model but being a Maruti you've less to worry about.
Ritz is also much safer than Alto and a segment higher too.

Other options I see are i20 and i10.
I would recommend staying away from the Alto. Not a safe option especially when you've other options to choose from.

Last edited by Tojo_GotBhp : 9th July 2020 at 19:33. Reason: Grammer
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 20:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Requesting for your suggestions on any other makes / models !
Looking at your budget and requirements, VW Polo and old Figo are two solidly built cars that you can consider. But the petrol engine is mediocre both in terms of efficiency and performance.

If you prefer peace of mind and want to make a safer (not literally) choice, go ahead with post-2011 Ritz/Swift eyes closed. Top-spec Zxi will be a pain to find though.

Another suggestion would be a 9-10 year old Honda City iVTEC. Airbags were standard across all trims but I'm not sure about the price it goes for in Pune. Here in Delhi, a well-kept City from 2010/11 goes for around 2.5 lakhs or so.

Last edited by self_driven : 9th July 2020 at 20:06.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 09:26   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys !

Our budget is limited to max. 3.0L, thus looking for a pre-Owned cars.
The criteria that we have zeroed down, are :
1. Price : Maximum 3.0L
2. Hatchback
3. Safe enough to be taken on highways occasionally
4. Basic Safety : With Airbags / ABS - preferred.
5. Manufacturing year : 2010 and ahead, since we plan to keep this car for 3 years minimum.
6. Fuel type : Petrol - Having 3 Diesel cars in the house, I have been bearing the brunt of high maintenance since long time.

Couple of searches on CarWale/ Droom came up with Honda Brio / Maruti Suzuki Alto / Nissan Micra etc.
With Micra & Brio, I am a bit skeptical regd. maintenance / spare availability since the cars have been discontinued and the models available were pre-2014.
With Alto, I am not sure about the safety quotient.
I exploited the 'discontinued' status of Brio and actually last year in 2019 end we picked up a 2018 Brio VX AT with 12k on the clock, for a steal price of around 5L, considering the new one went for ~8L here when it was sold I was looking for an automatic though, and insistent on that variant because it is probably the only small hatch with a 5 speed torque converter (I am not a fan of CVTs or 4 speed TCs or AMTs)
It has been doing solid urban errand duty at home and my better half uses it for her office commutes as well. It is a great fuss-free workhorse which can also be used an enthusiast go-kart whenever you want, and this is one of the reasons I pressed on that car. We were lucky to get the 2018 facelifted version which has a few goodies and better interiors compared to the older one. If you can stretch the budget a bit or hunt around a little, you might be able to get lucky

Honda service is exemplary and you will not face any spare parts issues or cost issues. My general service costs are around 4k every 6 months / 6000 km. Plus the car itself is pretty reliable and will not need service centre visits apart from routine servicing. Even today there are satisfied civic (yesteryear model) owners among my friends happily servicing their cars 10 years after the product got discontinued. One other factor I observed during my search was that used Brios tend to be driven less and usually odometer readings are under 30-40k, probably owing to petrol costs and lesser usage in general as many get the Brio as a second car or as a city commuter. Most Brios being sold are in good shape that way

My advice to you based on your needs and your budget would be to hunt for a less used V MT variant model of 2013-14-15 vintage which might fit in your budget. Just note the cockpit of the pre-facelift Brio might be dated in today's era. If that is not a consideration factor (and that is the only 'flaw' as such), you can give the older models a serious thought. It is a bulletproof multi purpose hatch with a deceptively spacious cabin.

Pre-facelift cockpit
Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees-hondabrioautomatic08.jpg

Post-facelift cockpit
Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees-hondabriofacelift.jpg

Regarding the Micra, it is another lovely car for urban beater duty and commuting. Just that some cities have poor after sales support than the others, so it would definitely rate lesser on the service experience scale than a Honda. You can exploit the brand image factor to bargain hard on a micra sale though, if you like it a lot.

The Polo is another great buy, but within the 3L mark you will find very very old ones and I really don't recommend a very old Polo for fuss-free workhorse duty, a jap hatch may be better suited for that considering the age of the car and the maintenance costs.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th July 2020 at 09:48.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed