Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 17:05   #166
BHPian

Re: Which cheap pre-worshipped car under Rs. 2 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
I am pinching pennies, and looking for a cheap, reliable, but if possible, a good looking car.
My requirements are
  • Budget
Strictly under Rs. 1.5 to Rs. 2 Lakhs.
  • Make and Model
I am was initially okay with any car, and was looking at old Altos. But I found out that upping my budget bit more ( Rs. 50,000 approx.) opened up old City, Civic, and other seemingly decent options.
I would still prefer sedans over hatchbacks, and anything over Wagonrs, K10s etc.
I have personally been looking at Cities, Civics some base model Polos, Accent. Open to suggestions.

Based on your preferences, I would suggest 1st gen (1998-2003) Honda City with 1.5 Ltr. engine.

The other car I would suggest will be Tata Nano XTA (Automatic).
Old 11th June 2021, 21:28   #167
BHPian

Re: Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I would suggest that you acquire a cheap to run and maintain hatch like the alto with a 3 year time horizon as you sound quite young( an assumption on my part). Start up skilling and try to increase your budget by 2024 and then go for a car you desire.
Your post isn't preachy at all. It's whats prudent and sensible. I was looking at sedans because I was thinking with my heart. I understand the sensible thing to do is to get a cheap hatchback. And this is why I sought your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
Soon the problems started cropping up - weird sounds from engine, AC didn't cool effectively and the car had no power left. It was next to impossible to overtake on highways. Also, because of added weight of CNG cylinder the rear suspension bottomed out at every given opportunity. The car drove nose-up when there were 3 occupants in the rear seat. The suspension simply wasn't designed to take such loads.
You are exactly spot on. These are exactly the issues I faced. It was so bad the there was a noticeable drop in power if I even switched the A.C. on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Next choice would be a brio. But brios demand much more cash in the used car market. You might have to up your budget by atleast 75k to a lakh to accommodate Brio. IMHO brio looks better than the alto and the car is pretty fun to drive too.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to be actively looking for Brios now. I really hate the design of the WagonR, so I am not pursuing them. But there are some great options out there within my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Polo is a good option, but the car isn't as abuse friendly as a toyota, and unlike many Marutis can throw up heftier bills - if you do find one in immaculate condition, do give it a thought but be prepared to spend a little more on maintenance : routine & accidental.
Would the same be applicable to 2011-12 Fabias? I am assuming it would, since its a Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I would avoid Corolla.
Reasons-
1) Asking price would be higher
2) Mileage would be very low compared to my other references
3) Some spares could be pretty expensive (again relative to my other references, especially the Liva/Etios and Brio), thereby higher maintenance costs.
I was considering the Corolla because I really fancied one when I was in the 12th grade back in 2011. Its not a practical decision, considering my requirements. But I am still having a tough time telling my heart to STFU and letting my mind take over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I simply avoided the Skoda Fabia and VW Polo because those cars have very expensive spares and most examples needed the usual expensive repairs- Suspension, steering racks etc. These cars were reasonably cheap, but the parts bill would surely mount up to 30-40 percent of the price one would pay for such a car.
Sanidhya
It helps a lot buddy. So, I should avoid the Fabia? Are they very unreliable, or should I consider a well kept example?

Guys, I have been coming across a lot of used Punto's. Should I consider them? I was leaning towards adding it to the shortlist because since the company had packed up its bags, the resale value is nice and low.
Balthazar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:44   #168
BHPian

Quote:

It helps a lot buddy. So, I should avoid the Fabia? Are they very unreliable, or should I consider a well kept example?
I would say Fabia isn’t exactly unreliable, it’s just that new parts are expensive and used ones are a bit difficult to find because the car never sold very well. Also, being a European car, it is not very forgiving when it comes to unskilled mechanics and their jugaad repairs. A petrol Fabia wouldn’t be great in terms of fuel economy either; I don’t think it will give more than 9-12 in the city.

If you are able to find a car in good shape, then of course it is a good buy, but when things go wrong, it could potentially involve a lot of hassle. If you decide to go for new OEM parts, they will be quite expensive. But if you know of a good FNG that can take care of this car and can source used OEM parts from Mayapuri or good quality aftermarket replacements, then it might be worth considering.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 07:32   #169
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which cheap pre-worshipped car under Rs. 2 Lakhs?

Quote:
but I need my first car soon.
Since you are based out of Delhi, keep a lookout for Maruti Esteem's or Maruti Zen's. Both are cheap to acquire, very reliable, low maintenance vehicles, reasonably frugal and peppy to drive. You have to look around to find a well maintained one but as a cheap, everyday reliable runaround these two make a strong case for themselves.
Old 5th July 2021, 06:06   #170
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a reliable, highway safe car under Rs. 2.5L. Car would predominantly be used for tours and less for commutes. Good FE is an added bonus.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:31   #171
BHPian

Wow! This thread is this still alive after 10 years!
Thanks guys!
d_payne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 23:20   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Any suggestions for a reliable, highway safe car under Rs. 2.5L. Car would predominantly be used for tours and less for commutes. Good FE is an added bonus.
I think you might have to be a bit more specific. Good FE will only come with a Diesel and a Diesel for 2.5L might not be the most reliable thing to buy. That aside, there are plenty of old D-segment sedans that are reliable as long as you go Japanese (accords, cedias) or you know what you're getting into, the Fabia 1.6 petrol offers a great combination of space, simplicity, safety, size and practicality if you understandably don't want to buy a large sedan. An SX4 petrol makes for an unimaginative yet extremely sensible choice. IF you can actually find a low mileage Optra Magnum, that would probably be the only reliable, safe and fuel efficient car in the used market that could be had for 2.5 lacs or less. Perhaps a low run old Jetta might also fit into that budget.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th July 2021 at 23:42.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:42   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

Thanks in Advance.
Only one I can think of that fits the bill - 2007 and onwards Honda Civic. Safe for highways, reliable and fuel efficient if driven with a light foot. If you want more airbags and rear seat space you can get 2008 accords as well for 2.5-3L but make sure you check the car with your mechanic thoroughly before committing. Good luck.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks