Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic Sedan budget 10L

Are you looking strictly for sedans? Have you thought of having a hatchback automatic? Hatchbacks will help you in your daily run through traffic. Do take a look at the i20 1.4 auto.

In sedans, I would recommend taking a look at Honda City AT and Hyundai Verna AT. But both will be a bit above 10L.

Also, do take a look at Dzire AT. You will end up saving a lot as there is a price difference of almost 3L between Dzire and City ATs.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:39   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Yes City seems good and so does the Vento. I have a question though. Is there any talks of a refreshed Vento this year? Although it was only launched in 2010 so it would be too soon for that. City, to me, is overpriced a little. Are last years discounts still available on City?
The Polo is due for new engines, the 1.2 mills are quite old. We can expect new 4-pot motors to be introduced in the Polo sometime soon. Not sure about the Vento though.

The City is overpriced, but there are many variants to choose from and you can get what you need. The price starts at 7 lakhs or so and goes up to 12 on the road. If you can stretch your budget a bit, there is no better option, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

But in all honesty, go for the Honda City V AT. There is an optional sunroof offered these days as well. It is just an awesome value proposition now with the rationalised pricing. Honda ownership is peace of mind and the VTEC engine is suh-weet!
Noop, the one with the sunroof is quite expensive actually. It would be around 12 lakhs OTR if I'm not wrong. The City Corporate Edition makes the most sense, but I'm not sure if it's available with an automatic-transmission.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

My brother just bought a Honda City V AT, and i can vouch for its drive and very good gear box. When i took it for a spin i did not feel any loss in terms of power or sluggishness and fuel efficiency is also good.

The same super smooth Honda engine on AT makes the city drives more pleasurable, and painless.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:30   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

A few months ago, for a close friend, we bought a used Honda Accord AT (2005 model, with 52000KM on ODO) - for 6.3 lakhs. It's a pleasure to drive -specially in traffic, has been working like a charm and everyone in the family loves the back seats which are as comfy as a sofa...

A Rs. 16 lakh AT from Honda for almost 1/3rd of the original price... and no AT car in the new car market today comes closer to it in terms of anything!!!

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 22nd February 2012 at 10:32.
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:55   #65
BHPian

Is your requirement only a new car or would a pre-owned car also serve the purpose? There are many options in the pre-owned space with excellent civic A/t, Corolla A/t, etc which are not too old available for less than 10 lakh.

Does any one know how much the new Scorpio Automatic is OTR Bangalore?
vanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Re: The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

You seem to be looking a practical and comfortable car. Have not studied the segment very thoroughly, but would expect a Honda City to be the most suitable one. Honda reliability/peace of mind, easy to drive, very good cabin space without being too big on the outside, wonderful VTEC engine and quite frugal with the fuel.

A good ownership thread by Charthom - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...fell-love.html

Last edited by Poitive : 22nd February 2012 at 15:35. Reason: Minor refinement
Old 24th February 2012, 09:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Are you looking strictly for sedans? Have you thought of having a hatchback automatic? Hatchbacks will help you in your daily run through traffic. Do take a look at the i20 1.4 auto.

In sedans, I would recommend taking a look at Honda City AT and Hyundai Verna AT. But both will be a bit above 10L.

Also, do take a look at Dzire AT. You will end up saving a lot as there is a price difference of almost 3L between Dzire and City ATs.
no hatch for now. Only AT sedans. Dzire isnt under consideration. Cannot really muster paying so much for a Maruti (I'm being stupid). However if I were in the market for a Diesel and had patience to wait years, then maybe dzired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Polo is due for new engines, the 1.2 mills are quite old. We can expect new 4-pot motors to be introduced in the Polo sometime soon. Not sure about the Vento though.

The City is overpriced, but there are many variants to choose from and you can get what you need. The price starts at 7 lakhs or so and goes up to 12 on the road. If you can stretch your budget a bit, there is no better option, to be honest.

Noop, the one with the sunroof is quite expensive actually. It would be around 12 lakhs OTR if I'm not wrong. The City Corporate Edition makes the most sense, but I'm not sure if it's available with an automatic-transmission.
I also feel City to be overpriced. Last year they had some fabulous discounts, not sure if they are still there. CE doesnt have AT. Only V variant has. Sunroof in India is useless. In cities too much pollution. I never even drive with windows down (even after 3 years my i10's interiors are as good as brand new!) Same is the case with Cruise Control. So in my case, it would mean these 2 features would be used only maybe 2 or 3 days in a year if and when I take the car on some highways. Not worth paying this kind of money (50K+) for this! I'd rather pay for more safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
My brother just bought a Honda City V AT, and i can vouch for its drive and very good gear box. When i took it for a spin i did not feel any loss in terms of power or sluggishness and fuel efficiency is also good.

The same super smooth Honda engine on AT makes the city drives more pleasurable, and painless.
Yes City AT and Vento AT are at the front right now! ANHV is next and also considering Rapid AT (last in the Q). As of now considering one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
A few months ago, for a close friend, we bought a used Honda Accord AT (2005 model, with 52000KM on ODO) - for 6.3 lakhs. It's a pleasure to drive -specially in traffic, has been working like a charm and everyone in the family loves the back seats which are as comfy as a sofa...

A Rs. 16 lakh AT from Honda for almost 1/3rd of the original price... and no AT car in the new car market today comes closer to it in terms of anything!!!

Cheers!
Well used car is not an option. If I were single, then it might have been. But my wife wouldnt allow it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
Is your requirement only a new car or would a pre-owned car also serve the purpose? There are many options in the pre-owned space with excellent civic A/t, Corolla A/t, etc which are not too old available for less than 10 lakh.

Does any one know how much the new Scorpio Automatic is OTR Bangalore?
pre-owned car not at all an option! Scorpio also not an option! the only SUV I like is a bit out of my range (See its a Range!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
You seem to be looking a practical and comfortable car. Have not studied the segment very thoroughly, but would expect a Honda City to be the most suitable one. Honda reliability/peace of mind, easy to drive, very good cabin space without being too big on the outside, wonderful VTEC engine and quite frugal with the fuel.

A good ownership thread by Charthom - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...fell-love.html
I like City but feel its a bit overpriced for what it offers (by at least a lac or so). So last year when they had the offers going, it was a good buy. Still its a contender as there are very limited options in this market. And since I am only in for a petrol car, FE is not big consideration (its more or less the same for all the cars under consideration, give or take 1 or 2 KMPL here or there).
Old 24th February 2012, 09:19   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

noop
good to hear the FE figures of the Vento/ Rapid AT's. Yes 10.5 -11 is eminently reasonable.
My pal owns a 2009 model Honda City AT top end version and it gives him a peaceful 12kmpl in city and goes upto 16-17 on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Vento AT will surely be out of budget as well. I got it a year ago in Pune at just under 10 lac on road. There have been price revisions since then (I think) and Bangalore OTR prices are higher.

Skoda Rapid is almost an identical car and cheaper as well PLUS it has a lower trim AT offering as well. I would not go so far as brand the VW/Skoda ATs "gaz guzzlers"- I get about 10.5 kmpl in regular use and am quite happy with it.

But in all honesty, go for the Honda City V AT. There is an optional sunroof offered these days as well. It is just an awesome value proposition now with the rationalised pricing. Honda ownership is peace of mind and the VTEC engine is suh-weet!
Old 25th February 2012, 11:20   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
noop
good to hear the FE figures of the Vento/ Rapid AT's. Yes 10.5 -11 is eminently reasonable.
My pal owns a 2009 model Honda City AT top end version and it gives him a peaceful 12kmpl in city and goes upto 16-17 on highways.
Yup Honda is more frugal. Also if your drive is 100% urban crawl the Vento AT will shock you. It guzzles in first and second gear. I drove it in rush hour Mumbai traffic (zero highway) and FE went as low as 6 kmpl. No fun at all except for the left leg!

Jos...pre owned Civic or Altis AT is a fantastic option. Do at least see a couple before trashing the idea outright. Member dot lucked out with a fab Civic AT. He even has a thread on it.
Old 25th February 2012, 17:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster

Jos...pre owned Civic or Altis AT is a fantastic option. Do at least see a couple before trashing the idea outright. Member dot lucked out with a fab Civic AT. He even has a thread on it.
Hey noops well pre owned not an option really. Even mentioning that wud mean no more any new car!

Am leaning towards the vento as of now. But yet to do any test drives. I did TD the ANHC AT back in early 2009. Liked the car but not the interiors. The NHC was more luxurious. I seriously dont like the looks of the city center console esp the garish looking music player, so will need to replace the HU if I buy city so that's one additional cost. City has two big problems as far as I am concerned: the missing auto aircon and the strange color of LEDs inside (HU in Orange, meters in blue now! And a missing MID)

Stupid idiosyncraties I have :-)
Old 25th February 2012, 18:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I seriously dont like the looks of the city center console esp the garish looking music player, so will need to replace the HU if I buy city so that's one additional cost. City has two big problems as far as I am concerned: the missing auto aircon and the strange color of LEDs inside (HU in Orange, meters in blue now!

Stupid idiosyncraties I have :-)
Hardly stupid my friend. When I saw the pics of the facelifted City and saw the blue backlighting, I was a bit envious. And then I heard that the central console is still orange, and I was sure there was something wrong. I'm not particularly one for matching colors, but why on earth did Honda mismatch the interiors like that? Makes no sense.

The Vento and the City are rightly at the top of your list. There's hardly anything to choose between them, and they're both fantastic cars. My City AT gives me 12.5 KMPL religiously at every tankful, with 80-90% of my driving being down in serpentine city cues. I do think the Vento has nicer interiors and looks (just my taste) but the City is more hassle-free to own, has slightly better mileage. You can't go wrong with either of them, frankly.

The Verna is just too cramped at the back to be honest and that would knock it off any list for me. But why not consider the Fluence? Looks great in the flesh, has some great features and is even exclusive. A small part of me yearns after it, but that is another story for another time.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 09:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles

The Verna is just too cramped at the back to be honest and that would knock it off any list for me. But why not consider the Fluence? Looks great in the flesh, has some great features and is even exclusive. A small part of me yearns after it, but that is another story for another time.
Fluence, I'm afraid out of the budget. I think It's more in corolla category. If my budget was 15L, I'm sure what I'd have gone for, no test drives needed. The one and only H Civic! Absolutely love it! It's the perfect car as far as I am concerned, GC issues notwithstanding. Similarly if the budget was 25L, it wud be the new VW Passat! Absolutely love both these cars.

Does anybody really buys the fluence? Never seen one on the roads here.
Old 26th February 2012, 10:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If my budget was 15L, I'm sure what I'd have gone for, no test drives needed. The one and only H Civic! Absolutely love it! It's the perfect car as far as I am concerned, GC issues notwithstanding. Similarly if the budget was 25L, it would be the new VW Passat! Absolutely love both these cars.

Does anybody really buys the fluence? Never seen one on the roads here.
You're a man after my own heart with the Civic and Passat. They're two cars I admire very much as well. The only reason the Passat is perhaps not doing as well as it should is that Indians are very brand conscious at times, and 25L OTR enters BMW 320d territory. We like our Bavarian propeller badges! The Civic though, is something else. Lovely, lovely car, in and out. And if the new Civic is to be as the reports say they are, the older one will be that bit more popular in the resale market. Just wondering.

I've seen at most 3-4 Fluences on the road, in black and white. Looks striking really, rather nice, even a car I can consider in a few years if at all I go with a brand new car. But it really isn't popular by any stretch of the imagination, and that can be good or bad in equal measure really.
Old 27th February 2012, 00:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Upgrade time!

Am using an i10 but the crazy Bangalore traffic is getting on my nerves. So an automatic is need of the hour now, and since there are hardly any worthy choices in hatchback segment, sedan is the obvious choice. Contemplating between Vento, City and the ANHV, with an initial bias towards the German! Always wanted to own a German car in my life!

About myself, an early middle age IT professional. Car will be shared between myself, wife and our 2 year old.
Usage is about 500-600 KM a month (my 3 year old i10 has done 20k KM so far), so am OK with Petrol.

Any suggestions welcome
My opinion and strictly my opinion. Go for a diesel dude. Have been a petrolhead throughout my life. But now have been forced to think otherwise. In a country where a Re.1 increase on diesel results in a price hike of tomatoes, onions, garlic and milk, and a Re. 1 increase on petrol goes almost unnoticed, it makes sense to buy a diesel.

I would recommend you look at the new Fiesta auto and the Verna auto, both diesel. Considering the fact that the Verna diesel has more waiting period that what a pregnant lady goes through(Read 8-9 months), the Fiesta makes more sense, with the excise duty hike rumour doing rounds. I had taken a test drive of the Fiesta deisel. IMHO, it is a decent machine if you can digest the looks.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:06   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
I would recommend you look at the new Fiesta auto and the Verna auto, both diesel. Considering the fact that the Verna diesel has more waiting period that what a pregnant lady goes through(Read 8-9 months), the Fiesta makes more sense, with the excise duty hike rumour doing rounds. I had taken a test drive of the Fiesta deisel. IMHO, it is a decent machine if you can digest the looks.
Sorry, its slightly wrong info. There is no Fiesta diesel AT. The soon-to-be launched DCT variant is only for petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks