Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 00:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Correct. The Etios is not as good as the Vento.

Took the TD's of Etios and the Vento. Cannot compare the two cars. They are said to be in the same segment but Vento is clearly in a different league!
MCR, by no shred of imagination are Vento and Etios in same segment. Both are sedans yes but at completely different price points as well as market segment.

Etios is a built-to-price sedan also known as a value for money buy. It competes with the likes of Dzire and Sunny in the VFM entry level sedan segment.

Vento is a pricy (read premium) compact sedan that competes with the likes of City, Verna, Rapid and new Fiesta.

If you want VFM, your picks are Etios & Sunny. If you want slightly premium car then your picks are Vento, Rapid and new Fiesta. If you liked Vento then you can consider Rapid. Basically same car for 1L less. Only things missing are few features like multi-function steering etc.
Old 7th May 2012, 08:24   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Etios is a built-to-price sedan also known as a value for money buy. It competes with the likes of Dzire and Sunny in the VFM entry level sedan segment.

Vento is a pricy (read premium) compact sedan that competes with the likes of City, Verna, Rapid and new Fiesta.
Slightly disagree there on the premium classification. I guess the Etios competes with the likes of Dzire, Fiesta Classic etc., but the Sunny IMO sits quite there in the league of Vento, City, Rapid, Fiesta etc.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:39   #93
BHPian

I test drove the Sunny diesel and the Rapid diesel.

IMO, the Rapid just felt way better as a driver's car. Its a bit more compact and it also "felt premium". The car drove well, had sharp steering response and though the rear seats felt a bit cramped, it still was very comfortable.

The Sunny, while it was pretty huge, felt a bit too big. Definitely would be a great chauffeured car but from the driver's seat, it felt a tad too big. And definitely not a fan of the grey-ish interiors.

My only problem - one of my key requirements was that the car should have both driver and passenger airbags as we'll be using the sedan for highway driving. The Rapid gives this only in the top-end variant while the Sunny provides this in both the variants. Do I still shell out the extra lakh to get the Rapid top-end variant or settle for the mid-variant Sunny?
Old 10th May 2012, 15:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Correct. The Etios is not as good as the Vento.

Took the TD's of Etios and the Vento. Cannot compare the two cars. They are said to be in the same segment but Vento is clearly in a different league!
Has anyone considered the Renault Fluence?

Renault Fluence India, Renault Fluence Price, Review, Renault Fluence Diesel Mileage | CarDekho

Ticks quite a few of your requirements MCR.

I would've suggested and strongly recommended the Cedia Sports, now @ 7.99 lacs ex-showroom, but they don't do diesel mills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I test drove the Sunny diesel and the Rapid diesel.
I would prefer the Sunny over the Rapid for it's space, reliability, no-hassles setup, engine and of course the Nissan badge.

Yes, agreed that Rapid's drive has been rated fairly well.

In other news: the comparison between Etios and Vento is a bit off the mark IMO, the Etios is really VFM, to the bone.

And isn't the Vento kind of like a cloned Rapid? Or is it the other way round? My bad, cant tell one from the other much.
Old 18th July 2012, 00:29   #95
BHPian

Hi guys,

I think this thread covers some of my needs too. hence posting my query here. My needs are
1. Decent space - usually max 4 adults but 5% of driving may be with 5 adults. But again none are tall.
2. Diesel / petrol no issues
3. I will be driving it all the time, no chauffeur. So it should be a "driver's" car, good stablity, drive -ability, good torque spread if diesel, good safety features and good build are must. Hate rattles.
4. No maruti even if they make anything in this range.
5. top of the line music, sunroof, etc... I'm not interested in these fancy things. Resale value is not a deal breaker.
6. Decent mileage. Driving will be 70% city, 30% highways. 80%-me alone, 15% with wife and 2 kids in back seat, 5% with 2 parents (so total 4 adults and 2 kids).
7. Planning to keep the car nearly 1L kms. So should be good one.
8. Budget around 15-17L OTR. Can stretch to max 20 if absolutely worth it.

Sedan / SUV - no issues again.

Any thoughts for me? Thank you very much in advance.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:12   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi guys,

I think this thread covers some of my needs too. hence posting my query here. My needs are
1. Decent space - usually max 4 adults but 5% of driving may be with 5 adults. But again none are tall.
2. Diesel / petrol no issues
3. I will be driving it all the time, no chauffeur. So it should be a "driver's" car, good stablity, drive -ability, good torque spread if diesel, good safety features and good build are must. Hate rattles.
4. No maruti even if they make anything in this range.
5. top of the line music, sunroof, etc... I'm not interested in these fancy things. Resale value is not a deal breaker.
6. Decent mileage. Driving will be 70% city, 30% highways. 80%-me alone, 15% with wife and 2 kids in back seat, 5% with 2 parents (so total 4 adults and 2 kids).
7. Planning to keep the car nearly 1L kms. So should be good one.
8. Budget around 15-17L OTR. Can stretch to max 20 if absolutely worth it.

Sedan / SUV - no issues again.

Any thoughts for me? Thank you very much in advance.
I know that you are in a segment above, but do consider the City AT. It checks all your boxes. It's going to be tight in the 5% when you're 4+2 people in the car though.

Check out this thread from less than a month ago where people talk about the value that the C2 segments provide that brings them to almost D1 level, but with a significantly lower price:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html

My suggestion would be to go for the City AT - and save some money for petrol!
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 20:27   #97
BHPian

Thanks Torquing_points for the suggestion.
I did go through the link you suggested. That has put me deeper into dilemma . Do I keep my money and wait for D1 segment to realize their poor outlook and reduce prices? (and how long that's going to be is anybody's guess) or do I forgo bit of luxury and go for highest end of C2 with all the features but with probably little less space? My idea was to go for German or at least a European vehicle which I haven't experienced yet. Only now my research has to be very meticulous and I have to take my own sweet time to test drive many (now will be many more as I have to include D1 + top of C2 as well). But as you say if I can have a good one with all the features from C2 and save some hard earned money, that's an attractive option too.
Old 19th July 2012, 20:55   #98
Senior - BHPian

dszrskb

Well I think that whatever the budget, safety should be the highest priority and with that in mind go for the safest car possible. In your budget, if you want to go for sedans only, then opt for the Jetta or Laura (if it comes with 6/8 airbags). But it also depends on where you are and how good VW/Skoda service is there.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 21:55   #99
BHPian

Quote:
dszrskb

Well I think that whatever the budget, safety should be the highest priority and with that in mind go for the safest car possible. In your budget, if you want to go for sedans only, then opt for the Jetta or Laura (if it comes with 6/8 airbags). But it also depends on where you are and how good VW/Skoda service is there.
Thanks for the advise joslicx.
I live in Udupi, 60Kms from Mangalore in Karnataka. Both VW and Skoda have one dealer each in Mangalore as far as I know. I will test drive each one of them (Jetta and Laura) before deciding on anything. I will have to trace the previous buyers of these cars from the respective showrooms to know about the quality of the After Sales Service. Do you have any idea whether any showrooms allow this and provide me with the contact numbers of the owners of these vehicles?
Old 21st July 2012, 22:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advise joslicx.
I live in Udupi, 60Kms from Mangalore in Karnataka. Both VW and Skoda have one dealer each in Mangalore as far as I know. I will test drive each one of them (Jetta and Laura) before deciding on anything. I will have to trace the previous buyers of these cars from the respective showrooms to know about the quality of the After Sales Service. Do you have any idea whether any showrooms allow this and provide me with the contact numbers of the owners of these vehicles?
well I wouldnt know about it. you can get to know about the dealership in mangalore on forums like tbhp but you might have to do lot of digging for this kind of information.

by the way, if you are not too fixated about the marque, then consider the North American Car of the year 2012, the Hyundai Elantra! Now this car has everything - style, features, safety, looks, service etc. Hyundai has lot better service network in India compared to VW, skoda etc. Think about it.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 02:05   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
I would definitely like to suggest for Fiat Linea T-Jet+ only if Petrol/Diesel is not a criteria, as you have already mentioned.
It surely ticks all the boxes, and much more.
I suggest you must take a test-drive of the T-Jet atleast before considering other cars.
As we all know there is no perfect car (it can't be) just like a perfect mobile but Linea T-Jet+ comes quite close.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:23   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I would definitely like to suggest for Fiat Linea T-Jet+ only if Petrol/Diesel is not a criteria, as you have already mentioned.
It surely ticks all the boxes, and much more.
I suggest you must take a test-drive of the T-Jet atleast before considering other cars.
As we all know there is no perfect car (it can't be) just like a perfect mobile but Linea T-Jet+ comes quite close.
Thanks for the suggestion Carwatcher.

What I want to know is how is the After sales service quality for Fiat Linea T-Jet+? Is Tata now geared up to cater to the needs of a higher segment premium car like this? Also how is the space at back seat? If I have to accommodate 3 adults occasionally at back seat, how is the comfort? I see that you have a T Jet yourself. How old is your car and any particular issues? Your opinion will be valuable for me in choosing my next car. My particular needs are 1. Excellent build quality, no squeals and rattles 2. A "driver's car" if you know what I mean 3. Good back seat comfort. 4. Very good safety features (whatever available, as I dont think spending anything on safety is not waste). Being an owner of this vehicle I guess you could give the best opinion on these queries.
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:36   #103
BHPian

Quote:
well I wouldnt know about it. you can get to know about the dealership in mangalore on forums like tbhp but you might have to do lot of digging for this kind of information.

by the way, if you are not too fixated about the marque, then consider the North American Car of the year 2012, the Hyundai Elantra! Now this car has everything - style, features, safety, looks, service etc. Hyundai has lot better service network in India compared to VW, skoda etc. Think about it.
Thanks Joslicx for suggestion.
I guess Elantra is yet to come out. Yes, I may check out the car. But when I put my hard earned bucks on a car, I preferably spend it on a car which is at least 1-2 year old in the market as all the strengths and weaknesses are known and the company corrects the faults. Also company may tweak it differently when it is launched in India compared to North America (such things are known right?). So I think I will play it safe and bet on Jetta / Laura / Fluence as the situations stands now.
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Carwatcher.
We have one of the hopeless dealer in Goa but touchwood I have not needed his 'services' as yet. Can't comment on Mangalore dealer though. At the same time I can get things sorted out if needed as I have a second home in Mumbai.
I think you should go through GTO's official review regarding the T-Jet to get a complete picture. Not to mention, if you have used the term 'Driver's car' T-Jet easily is one of the best car around. In my T-Jet I have not yet experienced any squeaks, rattles, etc as of yet.
I think your skepticism regarding new cars is correct but it is generally experienced in Indian cars. In case of Hyundai, you can go for any car with your eyes closed. Their cars are benchmark in finishing quality. Even Duster has scored very high in terms of new launched car. GTO has mentioned 'far better than Indian counterparts Tata and MnM. IIRC we have not heard any bad things regarding interior quality and finishing of Ertiga which is also launched recently.
Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by carwatcher : 22nd July 2012 at 12:48.
Old 23rd July 2012, 00:05   #105
BHPian

Hi everybody,
Could check interior and exterior of Skoda Laura today but test drive was not available. I found it OK (but not WOW!!). But you know I found the big floor hump at the back bit disappointing. I find it difficult to digest that I will pay this car 21L (OTR) but an occasional 3rd adult sitting in back will find it as difficult if not more than in my Swift Dzire I'm presently driving. Sales agent says its some sort of guard to prevent damage below. Find it difficult to believe.

Yeti (checked out of curiosity) didn't have such a large hump. But you know, the Nissan Sunny (found the showroom open and just wanted to see the floor hump there!!) could manage a much smaller one surprisingly. Yet to check VW Jetta and Renault Fluence. yet to take a test drive of all my choices. Guys, any of the remaining in my choice or any others in this segment (15-20L) with a smaller floor hump?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks