Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 10:25   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

My dad and I were so impressed with the whole experience that we decided to not fool around and just go for the Altis diesel. we have finalised the Altis Diesel.
Congrats Mohit.Great choice.The engine feels more powerful than 88 BHPs. Acceleration is ok-may not be great for 15 lakhs,still.Relaxed,elegant. Pushed hard,can be a bit noisy-but excellent insulation. Spacious,respectable.

All the best.

Quote:
1. What colour? The two contenders are silver and Pearl white ( creamish shade). Cant decide between the two.
My choice would be the Pearl White. For the slightly conservative look of the car,this creamy white adds a lot of character,IMHO.

Quote:
One feels sad when after paying 15L you still have to pay for floor mats.Anyways should I buy this from them or rather get these things from outside?
I strongly suggest you to give the OE mats a miss and go for 3D Kagu mats-beige colour-which will add a lot more character to the nice bright interiors.

Quote:
Last but not the least a big thanks to everyone who helped me in this whole process. You guys made a whole lot of difference. Thanks a lot.
Glad to have added my own tiny drops. Thanks for the appreciation.

Quote:
I will update with the TD details tomorrow.
Please!Eagerly waiting.Best of luck again.

Regards,
charthom.
Old 24th July 2011, 14:58   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the last and the final TD of the Altis today ( hopefully ). The experience was once again good and going to the Toyota showroom has become a very pleasant experience for us. I called the SA to confirm the TD appointment and he was ready with the car as soon as we reached. They have a proper TD vehicle for all the cars with proper stickers and stuff. The Altis we drove was a blue colour highline. The car was very clean from the inside and had done 1800 kms on the odo. I drove the car for 4-5 kms.

Nothing spectacular or anything but the whole drive was more of a serene calm experience LOL! The NVH levels are very low inside the cabin and once you have switched on the AC you can forget the outside world. We didn't even switch on the music system. There is a very soft engine sound that does filter inside the cabin but its not too troublesome. I couldn't feel too much of lag seriously. I drive an innova everyday so maybe I am used a diesel engine now. Gear shifts are smooth and the 2nd and 3rd will take care of most of the driving in the city. The GC is very impressive (175mm- segments best). There is this particular bad stretch of road when you take a u-turn below the shadipur flyover. It has some of the biggest craters I have seen in delhi. The car didn't scrape anywhere.
One slight issue I noticed was the horn is a little hard to press and its right at the centre of the steering. So I was a little uncomfortable with that but I guess its more of getting used to it. The key is not foldable which is again a bit of a let down given the higher price tag.

Well so thats it then. Cant think of anything other then that regarding the TD. If you have any particular queries, do post them.

Edit: forgot to mention but the centre arm rest in the front simply ROCKS! Its just the right amount of cushion. The positioning is excellent specially since you can slide it to your desired level. Your left arm can just rest on it even while changing gears. Really awesome!

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th July 2011 at 15:01.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:37   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

All the best for your hunt mate.
Hey whats the ARAI FE of the optra? Couldn't find the diesel fe on the website.
And also the GC.

All confused up ya. I did another mathematical calculation. Buy the manza/optra and new swift in place of altis. That way I will drive the swift rather then my current ride- innova.
Old 30th July 2011, 13:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey whats the ARAI FE of the optra? Couldn't find the diesel fe on the website.
And also the GC.

All confused up ya. I did another mathematical calculation. Buy the manza/optra and new swift in place of altis. That way I will drive the swift rather then my current ride- innova.
ARAI figures can often be a joke, when one looks at real life conditions. Autocar figures are much more consistent with real life usage. With my kind of usage (more of open roads in the city), what usually works, has been to do this with Autocar figures:
City + 50% of (difference between City and Highway figures)
I expect your driving is on some congested roads also, so you may want to add only 20-30% to the city figures.

From what I have gathered (also mentioned on the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread), the Optra should give about 11-13 in Delhi (for my usage I am expecting 13-14) and about 15-17 on the highway.

Taking the discussion forward from the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread - given you are going to spend in the vicinity of 30-35L odd on both your purchases, a difference of 1-1.5L between the Manza and Optra, the Optra seems a logical choice. Just TD it yourself first. Parents can check it out later. You just may dislike it enough to not want to take your parents. Or ..

Last edited by Poitive : 30th July 2011 at 13:39.
Old 30th July 2011, 19:39   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ARAI figures can often be a joke, when one looks at real life conditions.

From what I have gathered (also mentioned on the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread), the Optra should give about 11-13 in Delhi (for my usage I am expecting 13-14) and about 15-17 on the highway.

Taking the discussion forward from the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread - given you are going to spend in the vicinity of 30-35L odd on both your purchases, a difference of 1-1.5L between the Manza and Optra, the Optra seems a logical choice. Just TD it yourself first. Parents can check it out later. You just may dislike it enough to not want to take your parents. Or ..
Well to start with it I usually consider 50% of the ARAI value as the probable FE I will get. So thats why asked. Well went on a short drive with dad to again see the cars. Manza is most probably off the list since the quality of material is not really at par with the other cars in the list. Also there is a bit of brand image also playing on our mind.

Next was the Ford showroom as I had not checked out the NFS yet. To sum it up in short it was disappointing. The place was empty relative to the Tata and the VW showroom we went to later. The small number of people who were there also were either there for the Figo or the Endy. NFS was standing there lonely in a corner waiting for someone to approach it too. The car looks very small actually. The rear is not as hideous in real life as it appears in the pictures. The interior space of the car also looked pretty small to me. The dash looked too complicated and fancy chinese gadget kinds. All in all not very impressed.

Now I have confessed before that both me and my dad do have a thing for the Vento. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that we went to VW next which is anyways right next to the Ford showroom. Checked out the Vento for the 5th or 6th time since its launch and somehow I have never been able to find any fault with the beauty. It still looks very attractive to me. The waiting periods have considerably come down and I was told that red and black are available for immediate delivery whereas all the other colours have a waiting for 15-20 days including the beige and blue. This is for the TDI highline.
Anyways the car gives me a very solidly built feel. The rear seat looked very adequate and comfy and all the glass area adds to the rear seat ambience. The rear AC Vents are an added bonus. The TD vehicle was not there so will have to go for it tom mostly. The OTR price is 10.6L and that means a saving of almost 5L over the altis and I am actually buying a better product. Well almost!

So lets see how things go from here. Only thing holding me back is that if the Vento will take away the shine from the Jetta. The SA said they will be getting the Jetta on the 7th and he might be able to give me a sneak preview on it. Lets see if he honours it.

So help me guys. Will it be a bad decision to buy both the Vento and the Jetta?
Old 31st July 2011, 04:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next was the Ford showroom as I had not checked out the NFS yet. To sum it up in short it was disappointing. The place was empty relative to the Tata and the VW showroom we went to later. The small number of people who were there also were either there for the Figo or the Endy. NFS was standing there lonely in a corner waiting for someone to approach it too. The car looks very small actually. The rear is not as hideous in real life as it appears in the pictures. The interior space of the car also looked pretty small to me. The dash looked too complicated and fancy chinese gadget kinds. All in all not very impressed.
The NFF is hardly the car to be driven around it. IMO, it would be a very bad decision to buy it when the main purpose is to use the rear seat.

Not sure if you read the fairly elaborate TD report on the Driven thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2441565

Quote:
So help me guys. Will it be a bad decision to buy both the Vento and the Jetta?
Which one for your dad (to be driven in) and which one for you and sis?
Also, many people who aren't into cars, may just not even notice the difference. (am saying this on the basis of what I read by a Jetta owner on a different thread. Can't recollect which one)
Old 31st July 2011, 08:24   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The NFF is hardly the car to be driven around it. IMO, it would be a very bad decision to buy it when the main purpose is to use the rear seat.

Not sure if you read the fairly elaborate TD report on the Driven thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2441565
I have gone through your thread extensively. But still since I was around the showroom thought I should check it once atleast. It wasn't under consideration anyways.

Well lets see if I can take my dad for the Vento TD today. If he likes it, we will probably book it. Enough of this see-saw.
Old 31st July 2011, 09:44   #98
Senior - BHPian

The Altis is a fantastic no nonsense car that will surely serve you well over the years.
If rear seat comfort is required then definately the Altis above the Hyundai Verna.
The Hyundai Verna is good if you want to drive yourself and that too mainly within the City. The Vento is another great contender here. It has a spacious rear seat too, though a little upright.
i have not read through the whole thread. Just commenting from in between.
Are you looking at buying two cars?
Old 31st July 2011, 13:18   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
The Altis is a fantastic no nonsense car that will surely serve you well over the years.
If rear seat comfort is required then definately the Altis above the Hyundai Verna.
The Hyundai Verna is good if you want to drive yourself and that too mainly within the City. The Vento is another great contender here. It has a spacious rear seat too, though a little upright.
i have not read through the whole thread. Just commenting from in between.
Are you looking at buying two cars?
Yea we need to change both our cars. My dad currently drives a NHC. He is rather chauffeured 99% times. This is the car being discussed here now. The contenders are at present:
1. Altis Diesel - OTR 15.4L
2. Vento TDI- OTR 10.6L
The Altis is a great car but just not VFM when you consider the Vento and save 5L over the Altis.

The other car we have is the lancer petrol 2003. For this we are considering the Jetta. If priced at the current price then its almost finalised. Otherwise the other car in for that slot is the Cruze AT. But this showdown is for later in next month when the Jetta gets launched.

Hope this helps. Waiting for your valuable inputs now .
Old 31st July 2011, 14:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yea we need to change both our cars. My dad currently drives a NHC. He is rather chauffeured 99% times. This is the car being discussed here now. The contenders are at present:
1. Altis Diesel - OTR 15.4L
2. Vento TDI- OTR 10.6L
The Altis is a great car but just not VFM when you consider the Vento and save 5L over the Altis.
Hope this helps. Waiting for your valuable inputs now .
When you put down the prices and do a comparison, it is so clear that the Vento wins, the Altis does cost 50% more than the Vento which is a huge amount.
Regarding back seat comfort which is very important since it is going to be a chauffeur driven car. I think the Altis would have the slight edge here, but not by much. and i doubt that it will be used with 3 passengers at the back most of time. Because the Vento is better off as a 4 seater. One nifty feature that VW has incorporated in the Vento is the ability to adjust the front seat from the rear bench, a very useful feature indeed.
Engine wise, from GTO's review and from wherever i have read. The Vento TDI is fantastic and a true gem, with a strong mid range.
There is nothing extremely special in the Corolla that would warrant a 50% extra spend.
the VW after sales experience seems to be decent too. you can check out Noopster's thread for some inputs there.
and since your dad is using the NHC which is a midsizer, unless you need to upgrade to a larger saloon the Vento makes more sense.
Conculsion
The Vento wins hands down.
a practical, frugal, cost effective, Teutonic beauty that will serve you well. and oh yes, drives well too.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 15:40   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding back seat comfort which is very important since it is going to be a chauffeur driven car. I think the Altis would have the slight edge here, but not by much. and i doubt that it will be used with 3 passengers at the back most of time. Because the Vento is better off as a 4 seater.

There is nothing extremely special in the Corolla that would warrant a 50% extra spend.

The Vento wins hands down.
a practical, frugal, cost effective, Teutonic beauty that will serve you well. and oh yes, drives well too.
Thats exactly my thought too. The Altis is a great car but slightly overpriced. The Vento's rear seat is better then the current NHC that my dad drives. And yes he will be the only one travelling in the back seat so the rear hump is not a very big issue. The extra 5L on an Altis are not really justified.

I think the Vento is the top contender now in my list.
Old 31st July 2011, 17:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to ask you, if your father would really feel an upgrade with the cabin of the Vento after being used to the City. The city does have a well designed cabin, even though some people aren't really happy with the quality of it (may be based on high benchmarks for Honda).

Quote:
The Vento's rear seat is better then the current NHC that my dad drives.
Wold be good if you reconfirmed it.

Also, the Vento is supposed to be quite noisy (has an older generation engine AFAIK) and the difference should seem even more after being used to those excellent Honda engines.

I hope he does find it to be an upgrade from what he is already used to.

PS: Are we talking about the OHC here, by any chance?
Old 31st July 2011, 20:52   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
purely from a cost standpoint the Vento wins hands down ; but if it is image/brand value , the T takes the cake.Why else has Toyota priced their cars that way?
Old 31st July 2011, 21:05   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to ask you, if your father would really feel an upgrade with the cabin of the Vento after being used to the City. The city does have a well designed cabin, even though some people aren't really happy with the quality of it (may be based on high benchmarks for Honda).

PS: Are we talking about the OHC here, by any chance?
No its not the OHC but the NHC. Thats the one which came after the NHC with its very radical looks!

Well to be honest the primary reason for changing the car is that the cost of running a petrol car has increased. He gets the Honda's tank topped up twice weekly. And its started hurting now. So he is happy infact happier with the Vento as he likes the german feel and the savings of 5L. Its me who was hell bent of convincing him of upgrading since he would keep this car for 1L kms or 6-7 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
purely from a cost standpoint the Vento wins hands down ; but if it is image/brand value , the T takes the cake.Why else has Toyota priced their cars that way?
Thats the dilemma sir. Its hard to choose between the two. Is the badge value worth paying 5L extra?
Old 31st July 2011, 21:17   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No its not the OHC but the NHC. Thats the one which came after the NHC with its very radical looks!
---------------
Thats the dilemma sir. Its hard to choose between the two. Is the badge value worth paying 5L extra?
OHC = Old Honda City
NHC = The Honda City that followed (lesser power, more inside space, very practical for the city)
AHNC = Current Honda City with the Arrow shot design.

Not sure which one you are talking about Mohit.

It goes well beyond the badge, mate. Overall, the VW badge may have more value for the same segment than the Toyota. You have experienced Toyota A$$ first hand, which was almost enough for you to make an overnight decision for Toyota.

Toyota cars are also considered amongst the most reliable cars around. The Germans really aren't. Guess you checked the link I had put up in the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread.

It also has more space inside. Better image (C+ vs C).
In my case, there were ingress/egress and headroom issues too, with the Vento.

What bugs about the Corolla, is that after paying 15L you get a 1.3 litre engine. But if one doesn't hold on to the specs, it does seem to perform satisfactorily for a chauffeur driven car.

Most Viewed