Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 09:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Hi guys,
Its been quite some while since we have been trying to change our car. But car buying is such a complicated process. So finally decided on taking all TBHPians advice and help me making a wise decision.
The car is for my dad. He currently uses a NHC 2006 model. His running is almost 99% in the city. 90% of the times he is chauffeured and very rarely over weekends he drives the car on his own. The NHC is doing fine and the only reason for a change is the rising fuel prices. His running has increased considerably and currently he does around 1500kms a month.
The following cars were considered (all diesel) :
1. Vento: We all love the car and infact the whole idea of changing his ride came after reading GTO’s fantastic review. But we are also planning to change our aging Lancer and almost decided on the new Jetta as its replacement ( if priced appropriately). So the Vento will be resembling the Jetta a little too much for my comfort. Also my dad has to go into industrial areas quite often where the roads are pretty non existent and therefore not sure about long term reliability and maintenance cost for the Vento.
2. ANHC: We like the looks of the car. Back seat is okish and should suffice for small city runs. Long term reliability should be fine with the Hyundai.
3. Toyota Corolla Altis: The car is surely a segment above and has an amazing back seat with the Toyota badge. The only downside is the engine. I kind of like the car but not convinced if the price that they are asking for it is justified.
4. Cruze: Ruled out. We didn’t like the interior space and it felt very cramped.

So Now the 2 major contenders are:
1. The ANHV 1.6 Crdi SXO which is around 11.6 L OTR.
2. The Corolla Altis Diesel – Mid G variant which is around 15.3L OTR.
Looking forward to your expert inputs.
Old 11th July 2011, 09:31   #2
BHPian

Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Hi drmohitg,
If the car is going to be chauffer driven almost all the time then corolla altis diesel is a wise choice. Since you are concerned about fuel expenses corolla altis diesel will give you a very good milage and the back seat is very comfortable when compared to the ANHV.

In fact I am a fan of Hyundai and its products since I feel that Hyundai has always given us good quality cars at the right price and in the recent years they have been giving us good amount of equippment also. The ANHV is a very good product and is rightly priced considering its size, power, features, quality etc. So if your father is going to be a front seat passanger then you might consider the ANHV and its rear seat is not so comfortable as the Corolla Altis.

I feel that the Corolla Altis is overpriced for the kind of equippment it offers and more particularly the diesel. The diesel engine is a small 1.4 litre unit pumping out only 87 bhp and compared to the petrol its a very small engine and should cost less than the petrol. Moreover the diesel variant is not as loaded as the petrol varient. Toyota is charging us a premium on the diesel car which is less equipped and has a small engine considering the average Indian customer mentality.

The service of both the companies are equally reputed and there is not much difference between them. The cost of spares of the Corolla Altis may be slightly higher than the ANHV considering the prices of the cars.

Hence if you are going to be using the car once in a while than the ANHV makes a wise choice as you will surely enjoy its power and equippment.

So taking into account the points mentioned by me above you can choose either of them which will better suit you.

Happy motoring.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

90% Chauffer driven,look no further than the corolla diesel,its the obvious choice here
Verna's weak point is its rear seat.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 11:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Yea I agree. Only think holding me back is the thought if I am being cheated here. Paying 15+ L for the Diesel Altis. Hmm I guess then its going to be the Altis only.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yea I agree. Only think holding me back is the thought if I am being cheated here
I couldnt help feel the same. Why arent you considering the diesel Vento? Its rear seat is a lot better than Verna! You will save a few lakhs as well for the ICE and stuff
Old 11th July 2011, 12:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I couldnt help feel the same. Why arent you considering the diesel Vento? Its rear seat is a lot better than Verna! You will save a few lakhs as well for the ICE and stuff
It all had indeed started with the Vento. But as I mentioned in my first post that we are going to change our other car also - a 2002 model lancer, with the new Jetta. And the Vento will feel exactly like the jetta. Its like having Innova and fortuner. The look and feel of both cars will be too similar.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. ANHC: We like the looks of the car. Back seat is okish and should suffice for small city runs. Long term reliability should be fine with the Hyundai.
I think you meant ANHV (and not ANHC), Anyways.

Yesterday i sat in both cars one after the other (Haven't driven them yet). The new Altis and the New Verna. Altis surely has more space at the rear and if this car is going to be Chauffeur driven 90% of the time i would look for rear seat comfort. If self driven and mostly in City i think Verna makes more financial sense as its full 4L cheaper.

Quote:
Thats the whole dilemma. On one hand the back seat of Altis is substantially better then the ANHV. But the VFM positioning of the SX or the SXO model makes the ANHV also a worthy contender since most of the drives will be regular 5-15kms city routes. To put it in GTO's words - " Point A to point B car".
Cant reply to the post after your post hence editing it here. I guess if its just 5-15 Kms i would buy a Verna and save on the 4L difference unless i am too concerned about the snob value of a T as compared to an H

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 11th July 2011 at 12:21. Reason: Response to the post below
Old 11th July 2011, 12:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I think you meant ANHV (and not ANHC), Anyways.
Yup thanks for pointing out the mistake. Mods please make the correction if possible.

Quote:
Yesterday i sat in both cars one after the other (Haven't driven them yet). The new Altis and the New Verna. Altis surely has more space at the rear and if this car is going to be Chauffeur driven 90% of the time i would look for rear seat comfort. If self driven and mostly in City i think Verna makes more financial sense as its full 4L cheaper.
Thats the whole dilemma. On one hand the back seat of Altis is substantially better then the ANHV. But the VFM positioning of the SX or the SXO model makes the ANHV also a worthy contender since most of the drives will be regular 5-15kms city routes. To put it in GTO's words - " Point A to point B car".

How would you guys rate the Back seat comfort of the ANHV Vs the Honda City? My dad is pretty happy with the NHC's back seat ( though of course one can argue that unless you haven't experienced better things you cannot really give such verditcs).
Old 11th July 2011, 12:35   #9
BHPian

The Altis Diesel G variant is definitely overpriced for the engine being offered. The new Verna with a bigger engine and all the gizmos is 4L cheaper which makes it a better choice economically. The Altis will have a better back seat and better legroom but would you spend 4L more just for those that? Doesn't make sense IMO.

The Vento diesel would have been perfect had you not been considering the Jetta.

Backseat comfort in the ANHC should be marginally better than the ANHV. I have heard that the ANHV seating is a bit lower.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 11th July 2011 at 12:37.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:55   #10
BHPian

Altis all the way!!! Comparing Altis with Verna, methinks is an insult to Altis. ;-)
Old 11th July 2011, 13:35   #11
BHPian

With 90% of being chauffered around, going around some difficult roads and an economy of a diesel, makes a very strong case for INNOVA as well. The back seat comfort with the Captain Seats is second to none.
A VX with an OTR of 14L (Approx) seems a better VFM than a diesel Altis.
Old 11th July 2011, 13:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
With 90% of being chauffered around, going around some difficult roads and an economy of a diesel, makes a very strong case for INNOVA as well. The back seat comfort with the Captain Seats is second to none.
+1

Innova is Camry equivalent engine, Camry++ space and a Toyota to top it! Cant beat this if you are entering 14L range!
Old 11th July 2011, 14:34   #13
BHPian

Hello drmohit, well considering the fact that vehicle is not going to be self driven (most of the times) and that it would be driven over not so perfect roads - the Innova would be a very strong contender.

Of course it is a different segment altogether but I would suggest you do consider the vehicle because it suits you requirements, has bulletproof reliability and an unbeatable resale value.
Old 11th July 2011, 14:35   #14
BHPian

Did you consider Chevy Optra Magnum? For the price (OTR should be around 11L), it offers very decent space and one heck of an engine (Altis D doesn't even come anywhere near)
Also, as RickyC said an Innova would be better option.

Last edited by hdnivara : 11th July 2011 at 14:37.
Old 11th July 2011, 16:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Altis all the way!!! Comparing Altis with Verna, methinks is an insult to Altis. ;-)
I totally agree. Just went to both the showrooms yet again and checked out the two cars. While not taking away anything away from the ANHV, Altis is much more bigger or atleast gives the impression. But the equipment you get for that price of 15.4L OTR is just too small. They dont even give leather seats for god sake! I know all of this can be addressed via the after market route but when I am plonking down 15L on a car which has a prima weakness in terms of a lower spec engine, I expect them to atleast give me a load of other features in tune with the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
+1

Innova is Camry equivalent engine, Camry++ space and a Toyota to top it! Cant beat this if you are entering 14L range!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocharged-KC View Post
Hello drmohit, well considering the fact that vehicle is not going to be self driven (most of the times) and that it would be driven over not so perfect roads - the Innova would be a very strong contender.
We already have an Innova. I drive it daily for around 50kms. Its an amazing vehicle. But my dad cannot use it because he leaves his Briefcase and other work related documents in the car many times. In a sedan he puts it inside the boot but in an Innova its visible and much more accessible to the roadside unwanted goons. In delhi its become a regular scene where they divert your attention via some means and run away with your stuff.

And anyways buying a second Innova is not that appealing. It is a little boring although a very reliable car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Did you consider Chevy Optra Magnum? For the price (OTR should be around 11L), it offers very decent space and one heck of an engine (Altis D doesn't even come anywhere near)
Its a very old design. The future of the car is also not very clear. So its kind of ruled out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks