Honda City 129 33.42%
Fiat Tjet 186 48.19%
Any other option 9 2.33%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 20:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs ANHC

LOL. Bang on. Voting is free but when spending their own 10L rupees people choose ANHC 9 times out of 10 over Tjet or Verna Petrol for peace of mind and Honda badge If i were to buy a 10L petrol sedan right now, i would TD the Tjet but plonk my money on ANHC or Verna.
Old 14th September 2011, 22:56   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Have been following this poll and I voted for the TJet. I'm a FIAT fan and own a Palio 1.6 so that's understandable. But, I wonder if so many people are voting for the TJet why do I hardly see any on the roads ?
It is because like you there are a large number of Fiat fans in this forum.
When it comes to voting you don't need to spend and decisions are made from the heart, while actual buying needs to consider parameters both from the mind and the heart and where the mind scores over the heart in most cases.

well I voted for the city.
Old 14th September 2011, 23:32   #78
BHPian

I voted for the TJet.

I test drove the MJD Linea, but found it lacking in power. Ended up test driving the Altis and the Cruze, bought the Cruze. Reason: I needed a diesel.

This was long before the TJet and the Honda price cut.

We had a petrol UNO once and my dad even now says he is yet to travel in a car that had a ride comfort of the UNO.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:24   #79
BHPian

Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

You must be thinking classic confusion case right....WRONG!!!
This is a cry for help for 2 reasons i.e. Car vs Car and Petrol vs Diesel.
  • Average daily commute varies from 60-100+ km.
  • Usage pattern - 70% city & 30% highway
  • Back seat comfort is not an issue and the verna's shortcoming in this department can be addressed with some customised underthigh padding from Stanley
The choices in front of me are from the same segment but are poles apart and I'll tell you why;

Fuel

Honda City obviously petrol
Hyundai Verna diesel

Price as per best quote

Honda City V MT - 9.65 lacs with reversing sensors thrown in
Hyundai Verna - 11.66 lacs and no discounts or freebees

Safety

The city has the edge here with ABS & EBD standard across the range. Only the top end SX(O) Verna gets these along with ESP.

Exteriors & Interiors

Both the cars look good on the outside but as per my preferences the Verna looks a lot more modern, upmarket and appealing on the inside. Equipment levels are also better. The thing that irritated me the most about the city was the lack of soft touch materials and that tacky central console.

Ride & Handling

The Honda wins hands down on this one. The Verna literally made me wanna puke after 45 minutes of high speed driving!!!
BUT I do have a solution in mind namely an aftermarket suspension setup with interchangable modes by RRR which can cost between 25k-50k.

Cost of ownership

I have no idea about this. Existing owners please help !!!
I intend to hold on to this car for atleast 4-6 years so resale value is not really a concern for me either.

To sum up I am faced with a decision between a 3 year old petrol car which is due for a facelift and a newly launched diesel boat which costs a lot more. With my usage pattern and the instabilty hovering over fuel prices both petrol and diesel - which choice makes more sense and why. Please help me out with this!!!
Old 28th September 2011, 11:39   #80
BHPian

Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Pardon me for not going with your options, but a different car seems to suit your needs better!

City is definitely an awesome car, but for your requirements, Diesel Sedan seems ideal.

No doubt Verna has a good diesel engine, its handling on highways has been questionable as noted by you yourself! Then why go for it?

A good Diesel sedan that handles well is what will meet your requirement. Inclined to suggest Vento or Fiesta classic for your requirement.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:49   #81
BHPian

Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Pardon me for not going with your options, but a different car seems to suit your needs better!

City is definitely an awesome car, but for your requirements, Diesel Sedan seems ideal.

No doubt Verna has a good diesel engine, its handling on highways has been questionable as noted by you yourself! Then why go for it?

A good Diesel sedan that handles well is what will meet your requirement. Inclined to suggest Vento or Fiesta classic for your requirement.
Thanks Vasanth but there are problems with both the cars you have mentioned;

VW Vento - Costs 12+ lacs on road. This coupled with sparse equipment levels and questionable VW service made me give up this car.
Ford Fiesta Classic - This is actually still under consideration and was my 3rd choice. Only trouble is the top end still costs 10+ lacs. So i'm gonna wait and see what discounts Ford offers come diwali and then decide.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:50   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything above 50kms means Diesel. So thats a no brainer. I didn't like Verna much specially the rear bench. Otherwise the car looks amazing. Personally I will suggest the Vento too although Verna would be a close second.

Edit: Saw your reply now.
Quote:
VW Vento - Costs 12+ lacs on road. This coupled with sparse equipment levels and questionable VW service made me give up this car.
Ford Fiesta Classic - This is actually still under consideration and was my 3rd choice. Only trouble is the top end still costs 10+ lacs. So i'm gonna wait and see what discounts Ford offers come diwali and then decide.
Well If you have ruled out the Vento then go for the Verna. Its a great car and will easily run trouble free for 5-6 years.
You can also look at the Optra if it appeals to you. Its found a lot of buyers on the forum recently although some speculation about its future does exist.

Last edited by drmohitg : 28th September 2011 at 11:53.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Anything above 50kms means Diesel. So thats a no brainer. I didn't like Verna much specially the rear bench. Otherwise the car looks amazing. Personally I will suggest the Vento too although Verna would be a close second.

Edit: Saw your reply now.
Well If you have ruled out the Vento then go for the Verna. Its a great car and will easily run trouble free for 5-6 years.
You can also look at the Optra if it appeals to you. Its found a lot of buyers on the forum recently although some speculation about its future does exist.
Ha ha, Poitive and myself are the 2 most ardent supporters of the Optra mate. It's undoubtedly a wonderful car with a stonker of an engine along with being a segment higher. Unfortunately the wife ruled it out quoting "Outdated model".
Old 28th September 2011, 12:04   #84
Team-BHP Support

Average commute of 60-100 kms (~80 kms) would translate to more than 20k kms a year; that is a huge no. and that too mostly in the city.

It's best you go for a diesel. With ANHC, you'll get a decent FE but the petrol price will pinch you real bad nevertheless.

Any particular reason why you have left out other diesels? What is your budget like?

Why don't you check out the Manza, SX4, Fiesta Classic and possibly even the Altis if your budget permits.

With all the cars listed, you'll have a good A.S.S. experience (Manza would depend on your Tata dealer).
Old 28th September 2011, 12:27   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Price as per best quote

Honda City V MT - 9.65 lacs (is it on road price?) with reversing sensors thrown in
You do get freebees over here and with some bargaining, you may get a little more as well. With the facelift version coming out next month, you will get good discount on the current version as well.

Hyundai Verna - 11.66 lacs and no discounts or freebees

Safety

The city has the edge here with ABS & EBD standard across the range. Only the top end SX(O) Verna gets these along with ESP.

City is the king - Tried, tested and proven.

Ride & Handling

The Honda wins hands down on this one. The Verna literally made me wanna puke after 45 minutes of high speed driving!!!
BUT I do have a solution in mind namely an aftermarket suspension setup with interchangable modes by RRR which can cost between 25k-50k.

There are a lot of complaints running around with the ride and handling of Verna when it hits above 80kms. It would be wise to stick to more reliable and stable option when it comes to safety than spending 50k initially for aftermarket fitments to compensate for the shortcomings of verna. I said initially it may look 50K but over a long run, this might be an ongoing expenditure.

Cost of ownership

I have no idea about this. Existing owners please help !!!
If you are not worried about the rising petrol cost, then its the City
I intend to hold on to this car for atleast 4-6 years so resale value is not really a concern for me either.
Honda city has one of the best resale value and I would say it would fetch a decent rate even after 6yrs.
@AdrenalinJunkie: My few cents highlighted above.

Last edited by kirantp : 28th September 2011 at 12:44.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:35   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
@AdrenalinJunkie: My few cents highlighted above.
Yup, on-road price which is why I'm tempted

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Average commute of 60-100 kms (~80 kms) would translate to more than 20k kms a year; that is a huge no. and that too mostly in the city.

It's best you go for a diesel. With ANHC, you'll get a decent FE but the petrol price will pinch you real bad nevertheless.

Any particular reason why you have left out other diesels? What is your budget like?

Why don't you check out the Manza, SX4, Fiesta Classic and possibly even the Altis if your budget permits.

With all the cars listed, you'll have a good A.S.S. experience (Manza would depend on your Tata dealer).
The SX4 has the same ride and handling issues as the Verna and not much interms of advantages except for Maruti's better service coverage throughout the country - so unfortunately ruled out.

Fiesta Classic - 3rd choice after the verna and the city.

Tata cars for me - Absolute No No. The manza is a good package but it lacks poise and character. The cheap switch gear and the inconsistent fit and finish are big turn-offs too.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2012 at 14:13. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 28th September 2011, 12:43   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Then what are you waiting for dude? Christmas? By the way, which dealer has offered this price in Bangalore?
Old 28th September 2011, 13:01   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Then what are you waiting for dude? Christmas? By the way, which dealer has offered this price in Bangalore?
Ha ha, not christmas DIWALI
Dealer - Whitefield Honda [after a lot of arm twisting though]
Old 28th September 2011, 13:07   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I'm surprised as well. V-MT in Bangalore is 8,79,000 ex-showroom. Road tax is approx 1,51,000. Even if the insurance is free (31k odd), the figure comes to 10.30 on road. Are they offering 55K in discounts on ex-showroom to bring it to 9.65? That should be a steal!
Old 28th September 2011, 13:10   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I'm surprised as well. V-MT in Bangalore is 8,79,000 ex-showroom. Road tax is approx 1,51,000. Even if the insurance is free (31k odd), the figure comes to 10.30 on road. Are they offering 55K in discounts on ex-showroom to bring it to 9.65? That should be a steal!
Why do you think i'm confused
I dont know financially which one is cheaper over a period of 5 years!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks