Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 16:02   #16

Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Thank you all for all the help and support you have been giving me. I am weighing all what you have said.

The only reason why I am not really considering the Fiesta is the generally not so great experiences most of my friends seem to have with the Ford guys. Also, I am guessing the Fiesta diesel like the current one, might be a tad underpowered.

Despite what most people say, i am also really not impressed with the current Fiesta. Also between the older Verna and Fiesta, I would have gone ahead with the verna.

Also, can anyone tell me if the price of 10.8L is okay for the top end Magnum?
Old 14th July 2011, 16:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@Soulweaver- You may find this other discussion on Magnum useful: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...um-tcdi-5.html

I disagree, i feel Magnum is more suited to high speed usage since it is about as fast as the Verna and has far superior high speed manners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I completely disagree. Verna is not a great car for high speed highway runs and especially if you put in comparison with an Optra which is far superior with regards to highway manners
Damn! it was supposed to be 'Optra is the one IMHO that you should buy if you intend to race a lot on highway.'
Old 14th July 2011, 17:13   #18
BANNED

Optra is the beter choice, It is still a looker and the comfort level is very good. It does have snob value but not like it used to. Negotiate further 10L or 10.25L would be a steal :-)
Old 14th July 2011, 17:22   #19
BHPian

After looking at the price of New Fiesta I am leaning a lot towards the Optra Magnum.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Verna is the one IMHO that you should buy if you intend to race a lot on highway.
This, you have definitely got it wrong!

Quote:
Damn! it was supposed to be 'Optra is the one IMHO that you should buy if you intend to race a lot on highway.'
And now you got it right!

Quote:
My friend has a 40k run Optra which is 3years for sale. The best quoet he got was 4.5lac and he is selling coz of issues which I think is coz of bad
Please complete the statement - is coz of bad ... what?

Last edited by keyur : 14th July 2011 at 17:44.
Old 14th July 2011, 22:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Verna is the one IMHO that you should buy if you intend to race a lot on highway.
I thought I had landed on the jokes thread

Quote:
And then it all made sense!

The Optra is such a lovely car. Am even more impressed after my last TD with it's very good handling, despite it's wonderful ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver View Post
Also, can anyone tell me if the price of 10.8L is okay for the top end Magnum?
Mate, you should quote the discount. One would not know the taxes and registration etc in your state! AFAIK the discounts are in the 25-30k region. Sitting with a cheque book across can significantly influence things. You could check on prices and discounts on this thread
Old 15th July 2011, 11:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post

Please complete the statement - is coz of bad ... what?
Its started with the fuel pump issue. He had to cough out the money for it! The company recall came after that. Lately he had AC issues and for which they charged him some amount even though issue cropped up few days later.

He sold it last day for 4.5lac and might get Corolla diesel or wait for Jetta.
Old 17th July 2011, 13:49   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic Vs. Chevrolet Optra Magnum vs Chevrolet Cruze

Any particular reason that the Volkswagen Vento is not being considered? I feel it suits your needs the best. Great engine, balanced ride & handling and decent stability too. Plus, it's not got the ugly turbo lag of the Optra Magnum. Of course, VW's service and unknown long-term reliability is something you'll have to live with.

I'm also a huge fan of the Innova for inter city travel. Comfortable for 6, rough roads pose no problem, excellent visibility due to the taller stance and built to last.
Old 17th July 2011, 14:34   #24
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic Vs. Chevrolet Optra Magnum - Split opinion?

I am having second thoughts whether to wait for the Verna (already booked, no response since a month of the first promised date of delivery, 21st July) or book the Optra Magnum, since a lot has been said about the driving dynamics of the Magnum being far superior on the highways.

What about the running costs of the Magnum and the ground clearance. Don't you think its going to be replaced soon with a new version or a totally new car altogether? It's been in the scene for almost 8 years now. How much does the car squat with the trunk loaded and four on board?

Will it be wise to go for the magnum? Have no idea of the waiting period on it.
Old 17th July 2011, 15:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any particular reason that the Volkswagen Vento is not being considered? I feel it suits your needs the best. Great engine, balanced ride & handling and decent stability too. Plus, it's not got the ugly turbo lag of the Optra Magnum. Of course, VW's service and unknown long-term reliability is something you'll have to live with.

I'm also a huge fan of the Innova for inter city travel. Comfortable for 6, rough roads pose no problem, excellent visibility due to the taller stance and built to last.
Aah yes, here is where the experience of the man comes in! While we debate on the Verna and Optra, the obvious other choices of Vento and Innova get missed out.

From the few TD of the Optra I have done, the Turbolag was minimal. On the Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan thread, we have had varied experiences on this. It seems to come down to two things:
1. Poorly maintained cars.
2. Post-BS4 Optra's have had a change in their ECU mapping and some other changes. It seems that these cars have minimal lag.

Vento is a good choice, given it is a newer car and has a broad and linear power band. If there are tall and biggishly built people to use the car, they may appreciate the Optra.

But come to the Innova. For inter-city, everyone should appreciate it. Anyone considering a vehicle from 10-20L for intra-city, this is a must try. A Toyota, minimal and easy maintenance, hugely reliable, long long long life, very spacious, ergonomic. From the practical standpoint, one of the best ones to be driven around in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I am having second thoughts whether to wait for the Verna (already booked, no response since a month of the first promised date of delivery, 21st July) or book the Optra Magnum, since a lot has been said about the driving dynamics of the Magnum being far superior on the highways.

What about the running costs of the Magnum and the ground clearance. Don't you think its going to be replaced soon with a new version or a totally new car altogether? It's been in the scene for almost 8 years now. How much does the car squat with the trunk loaded and four on board?

Will it be wise to go for the magnum? Have no idea of the waiting period on it.
Mate, you should head here as there is a LOT of talk about all this. Do check the bit on page 15 where this thread is made "formally" open to anyone considering a Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Briefly: Is cheap to maintain, GC after loading hasn't been checked by me (if you are talking about loading and then going on poor roads - Innova or other SUV/MPVs), waiting is typically about 7-10 days. It has already been "replaced" - Cruze is meant to be the new Optra (like the Accent-Verna, M800-Alto, Octavia-Laura story), but it seems the Optra Diesel will be around for a while, till Chevy finds a suitable diesel in this price bracket.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver View Post
I really really am confused!
@soulweaver, We haven't heard from you for a while. It would be good if you would reciprocate the information exchange. Comments from members here may have helped in your decision making process. If you share your experiences and thought making process, it might help others considering similar vehicles.

Also, about the new Fiesta. After all the negative talk about it's price, some people are returning with happy TD experiences. One member even paid the full amount and booked it right away. You may want to take a call after a TD, maybe. Though to be driven, other cars may suit the bill a bit better.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:09   #27
BHPian

i havent read all the replies posted here. but i think the overwhelming majority would say go for the newer model car - ie the fluidic

its much better looking

it has a fresh new engine

and it has that AWESOME reverse camera!

just my 2 cents
Old 21st July 2011, 14:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
i havent read all the replies posted here. but i think the overwhelming majority would say go for the newer model car - ie the fluidic
Oh man! You should have read the replies then. Also at least read the Opening Post, where he talks about INTER-city travel. No offense meant Snowman, but it may change the perspective about these two cars a bit, if you went through the one and a half page above.
Old 21st July 2011, 20:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
You really need to READ the posts! REALLY!

Quote:
its much better looking
Agreed

Quote:
it has a fresh new engine
Yes, but does it mean that it is better? Especially when the comparison is the proven 2.0L TCDI in the Optra?

Quote:
and it has that AWESOME reverse camera!
Are we serious here? If you are kidding here, you could add a smiley
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
You really need to READ the posts! REALLY!

Agreed

Yes, but does it mean that it is better? Especially when the comparison is the proven 2.0L TCDI in the Optra?

Are we serious here? If you are kidding here, you could add a smiley
Buddy... as an Indian - i love a few things in my cars. - i love chrome. and i love gimmicks.

and the new verna reverse cam is sweet.

but on a serious note. the optra is on its last legs. its going to be phased out soon. the resale value on optras ; be they magnum or petrol is absymal. hyundai on the other hand is a proven brand which has a brilliant resale value. the new verna is a fresh good looking design which wont go out of style for the next few years.

can anyone really say that the optra is a better bet than the verna..

REALLY?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks