Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:12   #31
BHPian

re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic Vs. Chevrolet Optra Magnum vs Chevrolet Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
Buddy... as an Indian - i love a few things in my cars. - i love chrome. and i love gimmicks.

and the new verna reverse cam is sweet.

but on a serious note. the optra is on its last legs. its going to be phased out soon. the resale value on optras ; be they magnum or petrol is absymal. hyundai on the other hand is a proven brand which has a brilliant resale value. the new verna is a fresh good looking design which wont go out of style for the next few years.

can anyone really say that the optra is a better bet than the verna..

REALLY?
Yes, REALLY, the optra still packs a lot of punch REALLY, but the catch is OP's requirement of "inter-City" Travel ! Optra suits that requirement better than the verna. I wish the Elantra was still being offered, then this debate would have been totally different.
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy... as an Indian - i love a few things in my cars. - i love chrome. and i love gimmicks.

and the new verna reverse cam is sweet.
I absolutely agree with you on the point that you love the gimmicks and that when you go for a purchase, the gimmicks will play a major role in your choice.
But the gimmicks can be easily added on later. Here, we are giving our opinions to help someone decide on a car based on his needs, not out likings!

Quote:
but on a serious note. the optra is on its last legs. its going to be phased out soon. the resale value on optras ; be they magnum or petrol is absymal.
I have been hearing this a lot about the Optra being on it's last legs - all this without any substantial evidence. On the other hand, Optra production is on in full swing, the sales of the Optra has shot up, there are a lot of new Optra purchases and the general economical sense says that when things are going good and sales are picking up, this vehicle will continue. At most, there will be a facelift or a new model.
Actually, the Cruze was supposed to be the next level!

And for the resale - I still can't understand why people start talking about resale right at the time of purchasing the car! It is equivalent to calculating the divorce settlement gains at the time of searching for a bride!

Quote:

REALLY?
I can say that, REALLY! Consider the engine, the performance, the FE, the power, the space and the feeling - all this at an incredibly low cost - total VFM! When I sit inside the car, I cannot see the outside 'look' of the car - there the feel matters more. The outside is for the others to see - the car is for me!
The Verna was an option when I was prospecting around, and the Optra won hands down for me.
Old 23rd July 2011, 00:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:

REALLY?
I did write a response to this 4-5 hours back, but there was a small nagging thought troubling me since. Did I write the answer in all fairness or was it because I am overwhelmed by my Optra? Was I biased, and am I really being unfair to the Fluidic? Did I recollect my Fluidic test drive experience correctly or was I blinded by the Cruze (that was my option then)?

Finally, at around 7 in the evening, I could not stand it any longer. I got in my Optra and drove to the nearest Hyundai showroom (Kundan Hyundai, Nigdi). They were near to closing time, but the sales person was courteous enough to arrange for a test drive of the Crdi SX 1.6.

While they were making arrangements for the car, I took a peek at a petrol variant (base model). The base model is pretty dull - all the features that people look for are absent in the base model - no issue there, just mentioning it! The doors felt very light (an not in a good way). It had a clanky feel, not the thud! I thought maybe because it's the lower end, they have tried to skimp here as well...

The sales guy arrived and we went for the drive. I got into the car (the demo vehicle was a 1.6 Crdi SX)., shut the door - 'CLANK'. Opened the door, got out checked all the doors one by one - "CLANK, CLANK, CLANK". Where the heck is the 'THUD' - searched around, didn't find it . The doors are light - not in a good way - I realized that I was automatically comparing every thing with the Optra. The interiors felt decent, the integrated music system too looked good - it has usb, aux, bluetooth and the works. The seating was OK, not very good, no huge encompassing seats, no lumbar support. The window control buttons looked OK, the ORVM control looked shoddy. (As I am writing this, I am trying hard to make this sound softer, and am realizing that I am being too critical, but i can't mellow it anymore than I have - if you don't believe me, take the Optra for a TD, check these very points, then take the Verna for a TD and let me know)
I then remembered the comment about the camera, so I slotted the car into reverse - the rear view was visible in the rear view mirror (along with a marking grid to indicate the distance). The sales guy walked to and fro behind the vehicle at my request. There I noticed 2 things :
  1. The video quality is not very good - the aftermarket rear view cameras I had seen earlier seemed much better. The camera itself looks very good, positioned nicely - tried cleaning it - no change in the video quality.
  2. The car has reverse ultrasonic sensors as well. The display for these is near the speed console. This causes problems as I am not sure whether I should look at the speedo console or the rearview mirror while backing - they should have put the reverse distance display in the rearview mirror as well (like the aftermarket ones).
So, in my honest opinion, do not consider this as a point of comparison - 7-9K will get you a better aftermarket one.

All this time I had not started the car. So, as the next step, I started the car slotted it into first. That's when I realized that I just SHOULD NOT have driven down in my Optra for the test - it was just plain unfair!!

When the engine came to life, it made quite a bit of sound, not exactly a roar, just a loud sound (can't seem to describe it). I rolled the windows up. The sound subsided, but it definitely was not as silent as the Optra. The vibrations could be felt, and they didn't feel good. (I am ready to attribute this to the fact that it was a test drive vehicle, but it had done a total of 5000 odd kms, so shouldn't affect it that much)

Then I slotted the vehicle into first, butter smooth! So, I thought, the good part starts now. Released the clutch, hit the gas, the car moved ahead. Had to reverse it now, put the car into reverse - gear stuck - tried again - slotted - released clutch - just revved, no movement - slotted again hard - car moved! (ok, no minus points here, attributed to demo car).

Got the car out of the compound, took it to an open road, stopped the car.
Then started the car, put it into gear and let go - was expecting a part of the 265 Nm or a few of the 128 horses to start showing - nothing showed. The first gear is pretty dull - tried it multiple times. Slotted to second, the car showed some promise, but the VGT makes the curve straight. There seems to be no turbo lag - or rather, no turbo at all. (Again, I should not have driven here in the bloody Optra - it's a beast). Drove on, didn't find anything stimulating. It feels as if the car is for some reason not using all the horses. The car feels light on the curves at higher speeds, kinda shaky, due to which you don't feel like 'letting it go'. The rear suspension with the dual torsion bar helps to avoid the roll, but makes the rear suspension not very good. Bumps can be felt.
Now the handling. I am in two minds here. The car has an EPS, not a hydraulic power steering. This makes the steering very light and feather touch, but doesn't give you the feedback like the hydraulic. At higher speeds the steering gets shaky and does not feel very nice on curves. Though I feel that it is good for city driving.
By this time, I was pretty much bored, so pushed the vehicle into traffic. The car weaved well through traffic. The ride was uneventful. Brought it back. Parked it. Got out - CLANK, CLANK (you guessed it, shut the doors).
Opened the boot. Well, the boot has height, but not the length. Gave me a feeling that it's not much - but I may be wrong. Went to the back seat - got in. There is just about enough space. Not much leg room - just enough. Asked two guys to get in with me - it was cramped - and the seats are a bit odd, with three guys - well it's 'uncomfortable' - honestly this cannot be compared to the Optra's rear lounge.
My conscience was clear - crystal clear - now I can repeat 'yes, the Optra is a better bet than the Verna'.. - REALLY !
I got out of the rear seat, and guess what (you guessed right) CLANK!

OK, I am not saying that the Fluidic is not good. It is a good car by itself, just don't compare it with the Optra. There is no comparison on any fronts. It is best compared with the Fiesta or the Vento probably.

Here are the things where the Optra bettered the Fluidic :

1. THUD vs CLANK - The Optra gives a nice solid feeling, nice and heavy doors, heavy trunk lid, solid car. The Verna feels more like a toy car (sorry, but that's what I felt).
2. Engine - No discussion here.
3. Comfort - Both the front and rear seating don't compare in terms of comfort. Driver seat has a lumbar support. Big spacious seats, lots of leg room, and butt room as well. Excellent noise reduction, vibration damping etc. (And this I am saying for the Optra, he he)
4. Power - Loads and loads of power coupled with the stability.
5. Price (OTR) - Optra LS 9.3L vs Fluidic 1.6 SX 10.7. I think that you can load in all the gimmicks and more and still save a ton!

Anyways, I am happy that I put an effort into re-verifying my claim and am sleeping contented!!

Last edited by keyur : 23rd July 2011 at 01:03.
keyur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 21:02   #34
BHPian

Got a call from Hyundai today. They said that the test-drive vehicle was not serviced when I had taken a TD. Now that they had serviced it, they wanted me to try it again.

Went for a TD.

Observations :

The engine noise and vibrations had reduced - felt better.
The car was more responsive. First gear response better.

Still clanks.
Lack of power is noticeable - all the horses are still not coming out of the stable!
Tried driving at 120. The vehicle was struggling at 120 in a flat road! Lack of power was obvious.

Again, the car seems to be a sound car, good for city driving, not so great on the highway. But for the price, it seems expensive. It would have been great at about a couple of lakhs cheaper.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:00   #35

Well well well....

I took the plunge and took an Optra Magnum LT (Caviar Black) as much as I dislike the beige interiors, I love the ergonomics. I love the space. And I love the 'released from a catapult' acceleration I got from the Optra, not to mention the feeling when I closed the doors.

The new Verna felt very tinny while the Optra felt solid and well put together.

Will update my observations soon
Old 27th July 2011, 17:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver View Post
Well well well....

I took the plunge and took an Optra Magnum LT (Caviar Black)
Welcome to the gang soulweaver! Great choice.
Wish you many many happy and torquey miles ahead - After your 1000 kms, the power ride starts!

Also, just check these threads :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2-0-tcdi.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assemb...headlamps.html

Let me know your feedback on the headlights of your car!
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 17:31   #37

Thanks Keyur! I will try to post my views on the car soon. I took the car on the 22nd (really late evening) and have managed to do 530km. Waiting for the 1k mark.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver View Post
Well well well....

I took the plunge and took an Optra Magnum LT (Caviar Black) as much as I dislike the beige interiors, I love the ergonomics. I love the space. And I love the 'released from a catapult' acceleration I got from the Optra, not to mention the feeling when I closed the doors.

The new Verna felt very tinny while the Optra felt solid and well put together.

Will update my observations soon
Hey Soulweaver,

Congrats on your new fabulous car!

When you update us on your observations, please also share your decision process regarding whether you also considered, if not - why not, GTO's Vento and Innova as possible options. A friend is staring at a similar choice, your perspective will help prospective buyers like him in their decision making.

Wishing you safe crunching of miles after happy miles.
Old 27th July 2011, 19:42   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Support: Thread closed as OP has bought the car. Please report this post if you have a similar query and want this thread reopened for discussion. Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 23:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna (Fluidic) vs Chevrolet Cruze

Ok, so plain and simple.

We wish to buy a new car to replace my 5 year old Honda City ZX Vtec.

It HAS to be a diesel for obvious reasons.

Shortlisted list now only includes the Chevy Cruze LTZ MT and the Hyundai Verna SX O MT

Chauffer Driven Most of the times with occasional self driven.

The rear seat should be comfortable for a 5'10" with the front seat pushed all the way up front.

No suggestions about the Vento or the Altis please.

Altis feels outdated with the 1.4L engine ( i mean common, in a D segment sedan)

Vento is out of the question. Don't like it much plus its a VW ( i already have an elephant to maintain in the form of the Skoda Octavia vRS

Fiesta's rear makes me hate it to the core. Plus the various issues with the interiors.

Kindly Suggest which of the 2 should i go for as an upgrade to Honda City.

Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 23:29   #41
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna (Fluidic) vs Chevrolet Cruze

Sorry to say but it is a terrible shortlist! Both Verna and Cruze have poor rear seats. In fact, Optra (which has same engine as Cruze) is a better choice than both Verna and Cruze.

I would suggest Altis. It might have a 1.4L engine but due to variable timing, it delivers good performance. If not then try to get used to Fiesta's rear looks then think again.

If only two given cars are considered then it is no-brainer, Verna!
Old 1st October 2011, 23:46   #42
BHPian

Surprising options you have decided upon. Neither of them are known for rear seat comfort and the price difference between them is really huge. You are going to be given so many more choices unless you specify why you have zeroed in on these two cars.

I for one would recommend Chevy Optra LT Diesel if it is going to be chauffeur driven mostly.
Old 1st October 2011, 23:57   #43
BHPian

Going by your description of the requirement, I see back seat space & comfort and maintenance costs among your prime concerns.

Space - Both Verna & the Cruze probably have more or less the same leg room in the back.
Comfort - Purely by virtue of its controlled body roll, I would think Cruze would be a much more comfortable ride than the Verna. Of course, the difference should be negligible in the city.
Maintenance - I can vouch for the fact that the Verna is NOT a cheap car to maintain, with conviction! I wouldn't be in a position to comment on the Cruze's costs though.

Though my personal taste points unhesitatingly to the Cruze since it is dynamically superior, feels and appears more substantial, I think one would need a deeper understanding of your priorities and requirements in order to make a comprehensive evaluation of the best choice.
skandyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 00:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

The optra feels too dated.

The chevy is on the contendor list for the brilliant engine, the amazing list of features plus a good looking car along with a decent mileage.

Similary the Verna, a good engine, amazing list of features plus another good looking car.
Some more features than the chevy also.

The price is not the issue till its the Cruze( already stretch the budget for that)

I heard that the thigh support is bad in the verna, is it really bad or doable for a 5'10"?
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

As Already mentioned both the cars are not really known for rear seat comfort. The Cruze ticks most of the boxes but rear comfort. I have sat in the New Verna and found the seating too low and thigh support of Verna is quite bad . I would still go for the Verna since it is quite loaded for its price and ticks most of the right boxes and you would end up saving decent amount of dough. All the Best with your hunt !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks