Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith
ok now whats ASS?
ok i could probably buy a used lancer
hand it over to my dad
or for that matter a used honda City
and take the baleno.
let me see ....
by the way ... really the lancer 1.8 comes with the auto ???
isnt there like an option for manual.
cant we get it changed?

ASS:- After sales Service

Mitsubishi lancer,baleno and Honda city(OHC only) are equally good cars. Baleno is older and so now better VFM but low resale value. lancer too is old now but newer than baleno hence better resale. car is bigger and looks better. Resale compared to OHC is always a bit lower because of the power figures on paper. OHC looks better than balenno and is fasten than both lancer and baleno. Then name Honda and the more powerful engine gets you better resale of the three.

A lancer 1.8 is as fast as NHC vtec even with the autobox. I was clearly impressed with the invecs. Loss of power is present but its more hyped up here on the posts.

The option for manual and the ability to stay in any gear like a manual is great. But still dont go on any1's word(including me) and take a test drive. The auto will be useful for your dad and the manual for you.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 18th February 2006 at 22:20.
Old 18th February 2006, 22:19   #32
BHPian

Dude, if looks mattered so much then we'd be seeing the cars with lots of stickers flying past us...... but in this real world....... they don't!!!
Not that i don't like the Lancer, my opinion is clearly based on which one has more potential........

So, It's the Baleno or an OHC....... you decide!!!
Old 18th February 2006, 22:19   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith
ok now whats ASS?
ok i could probably buy a used lancer
hand it over to my dad
or for that matter a used honda City
and take the baleno.
let me see ....
by the way ... really the lancer 1.8 comes with the auto ???
isnt there like an option for manual.
cant we get it changed?
Sunith i would say buy ur dad a used lancer or a honda city 1.5 EXI .. Or actually u can keep the 1.5 EXi for urself .. Think about it , bcoz one problem with the city would be the lack of low end torque once u get it modded and hence the difficulty to drive in bumper to bumper traffic in bangalore .. Here is where the baleno would have an edge .. That low end torque does help in city driving a lot .. And as ur not looking at drag specs if u can live with the lack of torque u could very well do with the honda city .. With a few mods that car can certainly be made to move ..
Old 18th February 2006, 22:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
Dude, if looks mattered so much then we'd be seeing the cars with lots of stickers flying past us...... but in this real world....... they don't!!!
Not that i don't like the Lancer, my opinion is clearly based on which one has more potential........

So, It's the Baleno or an OHC....... you decide!!!

Baleno has 4 advantages to its credit

1. More powerful with flatter torue for seamless city driving.
2. better VFM
3. Maruti Dealership
4. Excellent features on the new baleno(14" alloys,climatronic)

lancer has 4 advantages to its credit

1. Bigger and more handsome
2. Excellent handler with well weighted steering
3. safer than boh baleno and city
4. The most refined and smooth engine alog with flatter torque for seamless city driving.

OHC has 4 advantages to its credit
1. power
2. looks better than baleno and equally spacious
3. resale will be highest
4. The brand name

Lancer invecs has 4 advantages to its credit
1. Bigger and more handsome.
2. Powerful and potent with auto cum manual box
3. SUperb handling
4. Fun to drive

baleno has 3 flaws
1. Too old. Needs to retire.
2. Least safe of all
3. worst looking of the lot(may look good by itself)

lancer has 3 flaws
1. power is not amongst the competition
2. ride can be bumpy due to the rally tuned rear suspension
3. Too many rumours surround the car relating to price of spares,maintainence and Fuel efficiency

OHC has 3 flaws
1. Too light for high speeds above 130 and lack of low end torque like lancer and baleno
2. Marginally cheap interiors
3. discontinued

lancer invecs has 3flaws
1. Powersap from the autobox
2. Need bigger wheels
3. Fuel Efficiency from the bigger auto will be low
Old 19th February 2006, 00:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Devarshi: pretty good SWOT there.

But a few things...for one, the OHC won't have a better resale. Already there are 1.5s for under 3 lakhs, and since they're out of production, and their replacement has already undergone a facelift, their resale can only drop.

Looks are subjective. The stock Lancer is no great shakes, but the bodykitted ones are sweet. And I seriously doubt the car is a size bigger than the OHC and the Lancer.

If you are referring to the 1.5, the OHC has the power only on paper. In a straight line, the Baleno is quicker, and also much easier to drive in town.

As far as safety goes, I can't seem to find a crash test for the OHC. Maybe that's because it was never sold in Europe or the US. And I would suppose the Lancer and the Baleno are equally good/bad in that respect.

Sunith: ASS is after sales service. Something that Maruti is known for, simply because they have so many dealers. And their attitude towards customers is improving.

No, it is not too easy to get the gearbox changed. You will have to live with the automatic. And I don't know how much longer the Invecs will be sold, or has it already been discontinued in favour of the Cedia?

Any car which is no longer in production has to supply spares for 7 years. For the OHC, close to 3 years are up. And Maruti has never discontinued a model to date, barring the 1000.
Old 19th February 2006, 00:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just remembered...in Bangalore, most of the Lancers are white, with yellow plates. They're rapidly becoming a cabbie favourite. I think low second-hand prices + LPG kits are a bug hit with that market.

No offence to anyone...
Old 19th February 2006, 00:40   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Just remembered...in Bangalore, most of the Lancers are white, with yellow plates. They're rapidly becoming a cabbie favourite. I think low second-hand prices + LPG kits are a bug hit with that market.

No offence to anyone...
Yeah, most Lancers I have seen in Bangalore are white taxis, although most are petrols.

Quote:
I think he only mentioned SW, didn't see any OT discussed.
Old 19th February 2006, 00:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But a few things...for one, the OHC won't have a better resale. Already there are 1.5s for under 3 lakhs, and since they're out of production, and their replacement has already undergone a facelift, their resale can only drop.

Looks are subjective. The stock Lancer is no great shakes, but the bodykitted ones are sweet. And I seriously doubt the car is a size bigger than the OHC and the Lancer.

If you are referring to the 1.5, the OHC has the power only on paper. In a straight line, the Baleno is quicker, and also much easier to drive in town.

As far as safety goes, I can't seem to find a crash test for the OHC. Maybe that's because it was never sold in Europe or the US. And I would suppose the Lancer and the Baleno are equally good/bad in that respect.

Sunith: ASS is after sales service. Something that Maruti is known for, simply because they have so many dealers. And their attitude towards customers is improving.

No, it is not too easy to get the gearbox changed. You will have to live with the automatic. And I don't know how much longer the Invecs will be sold, or has it already been discontinued in favour of the Cedia?

Any car which is no longer in production has to supply spares for 7 years. For the OHC, close to 3 years are up. And Maruti has never discontinued a model to date, barring the 1000.
True that OHC values are falling but so are lancer and balenos values. OHC somehow has 20-30k more than lancer and baleno is even cheaper by around 50k-70k less than lancer.

Lancer is bigger than the baleno but I dont have the dimensions of OHC here so cant really comment.

the thing you said about power on paper holds true for city 1.5. IT lacks torque too. On the other hand lancer is much more powerful. Not a baleno beater but pretty much keeps pace.

safetywise lancer1.5 is much better than baleno and better than OHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Yeah, most Lancers I have seen in Bangalore are white taxis, although most are petrols.
I am stunned. Stats say that south HAs the highest number of diesel lancers. where did the petrol come from?
Old 19th February 2006, 09:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lancers as taxis? Oh wow! I thought it was the Fords and Indigos. (I am talking sedans here)

Quote:
I think he only mentioned SW, didn't see any OT discussed.
You stole those words right out of my hand ... LOL
Old 19th February 2006, 10:39   #40
BHPian

thanks guys for all these suggestions
here s the deal....i ve spoken to my dad about it
and he doesnt mind me taking the baleno as long as i bother to replace it with a nice handsome car.
so thats the thing....
suggest some comfortable car which can be bought in the 4-4.5l range second hand.
my dad is driven around almost always.
he s not really a speed buff and anyday prefers a nice ,comfortable ride to a race.
the car will be driven most of the time in Hyderabad but he does go once a month to our farm which is about 100km from Hyderbad.
Old 19th February 2006, 10:40   #41
BHPian

oh and the car should have no maintainance probs
Old 19th February 2006, 10:46   #42
BHPian

saw a sonata gold with airbags
done 45160
music system and al that
selling for 2.5l
what do you guys think?
Old 19th February 2006, 11:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

The price is tempting. Test driven it?

In the range you are suggesting, try getting an OHC.
Old 19th February 2006, 11:32   #44
BHPian

nope ... the car is in mumbai i think ...
its there on automart.
Old 19th February 2006, 14:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Not too sure about the price, and I don't know Automart's reputation, but it's a steal if the car is clean. Have someone in Mumbai check it out.

Devarshi, the OHC and Baleno are identical in internal dimensions, atleast as far as width etc go. The Baleno actually feels just as big, though I haven't compared.

How do you quantify the safety aspect?

BTW, here the cheapest are the old Lancers, after them now the OHCs have dropped value. It's tough to find a Baleno in Bangalore under 3 lakhs. The boy-racer crowd has woken up to its potential, methinks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks