Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2006, 14:40   #1
BHPian

baleno vs lancer sfx

Hi guys ... i ve been looking to buy a used car for some time now
my budget is around 4-4.5l
My good friend v1p3r suggested to me that i buy a used baleno and then mod and it would cost me less than 4 l.
But i wont be needing a car to race on the track.
I just need a car which has got awesome performance (again not something to race around but something which will put a smile on face).
So I am kind of leaning towards a lancer SFX as it looks a lot better than the baleno.
Also i already have a baleno LXi at home which is being used by my dad.
So guys suggestions are welcome.
which one do i go for?
Old 17th February 2006, 14:45   #2
BHPian

since you already have a baleno at home, go for the lancer, and you can have best of both worlds
that is - unless your dad forbids you to use his car
Old 17th February 2006, 15:57   #3
BHPian

ok the thing is ............
i am confused between modding a used baleno(my dad would never let me do that with our baleno as its very new...sept 2005).
LAncer Sfxi looks great but i heard it does no have the magic of the baleno
Old 17th February 2006, 16:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Which magic are you referring to? Magic in stock form or magic in modded form?
Old 17th February 2006, 16:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Baleno. Baleno. Baleno!!!

No need to go onto track with it, just the occasional ego-puncturing trip down MG Road ought to suffice. It's cheap, and it's Maruti. The Lancer could be phased out, and then spares will be an issue. But the Maruti will never be phased out.
Old 17th February 2006, 17:44   #6
BHPian

never driven a modded baleno
but even in the stock form the baleno is simply superb at high speeds
Old 17th February 2006, 17:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Definately the baleno!.Just now saw a baleno with 15/14'' lenso 4-spoke wheels,yokohoma low-profile tires and a freeflow.All i could say was B-E-A-u-t-i-f-u-l!!!!!.Guy in the car is the same one who owns the modded ikon and the merc amg.I think V1p3r knows who im talking about.I know his name but cant mention it on the forum you know..,anyway coming back to the topic,baleno in stock form will take on a lancer,not sure if it would beat it though.Go for it as its a great car and finding cheap spares will be easy coz its a maruti.

binz
Old 17th February 2006, 18:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Baleno. Baleno. Baleno!!!

...........The Lancer could be phased out, and then spares will be an issue. But the Maruti will never be phased out.
Does this mean that Baleno will be there for quite some time or will not be phased out in near by future..??. Even in the Auto Car show on CNBCI/TV18 that came last sunday at 1030am, it was mentioned that Maruti is contemplating of replacing Esteem and Baleno in a year or two.

Even I am planning for a new Baleno VXI, but many of my friends are strongly advicing against it and advicing to go to NHC.
Old 17th February 2006, 18:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you have a Baleno, natural choice would be go for Lancer. It may be slow er in straight line, but handles awesome. And, at least for me, it still has the best looking rear in all Indian cars.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

On the looks I agree with RX's assessment and will go with the Lancer. The Baleno does not look all that bad to me especially when viewed from the side. And if you want racer boy thrills then it wil be the Baleno I think, because from what I know, modding a Lancer might be costlier (please correct me if I am wrong). I have not driven a Lancer, but I think that the handling might be better than that of the Baleno - atleast I thought it was though I was in the rear seat.

But two Balenos in the same house? That will be a bl**dy bore!!!!
Old 17th February 2006, 19:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
Go for the lancer it has that looks and dont go for baleno because it is the worst looking car in the country.
You should see some Baleno snaps before you make such comments...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...p?do=view&g=75
Old 17th February 2006, 19:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith
LAncer Sfxi looks great but i heard it does no have the magic of the baleno
You could consider a Petra or Palio 1.6 since you already have a Baleno. I think Fiat A.S.S is pretty good in HYD, ask satish_appasani, I think he has a GTX in HYD.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:21   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
Go for the lancer it has that looks and dont go for baleno because it is the worst looking car in the country.
i think thats quite a bold statement knowing that there are a lot of baleno fans here out on the forum .. But looks are subjective , to me the baleno looks good specially the side profile but u might differ on the same .. However to be on the safer side u can put it in a much better/sedate way, bcoz i can see a lot of guys breathing down fumes now .. Given a choice between the baleno and the lancer i would anyday get myself a baleno with my eyes closed .. Yes , but ofcourse i want performance .. Had the lancer a better engine then it would have been lancer anyday .. To me performance comes 1st and then the looks ..

PS : Sunith cant u convince ur dad to buy a new car and u pick up the baleno ???

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 17th February 2006 at 19:25.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, one question here which I wanted to ask for quite some time (actually question for all new Baleno owners).

New Baleno has reduced power from 95->91 BHP, thanks to BS-III. How does it affect its performance? Many will say that it doesn't, but 4 BHP is good enough change which will make make its presence (or absence) felt. Does it take off the performance edge from Baleno? No car mags would have new numbers since they would not bother to test drive the car again for such minor change :(

P.S.: Checked out your car pics. It certainly looks hot.

Last edited by RX135 : 17th February 2006 at 19:29.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:37   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Samurai, one question here which I wanted to ask for quite some time (actually question for all new Baleno owners).

New Baleno has reduced power from 95->91 BHP, thanks to BS-III. How does it affect its performance? Many will say that it doesn't, but 4 BHP is good enough change which will make make its presence (or absence) felt. Does it take off the performance edge from Baleno? No car mags would have new numbers since they would not bother to test drive the car again for such minor change :(

P.S.: Checked out your car pics. It certainly looks hot.
Yes the drop in figures was from 94 -> 91 .. Though its not much to ones eyes , i think it does make some difference .. One might not feel it but we dont have testing equipment like V-box / Gtech etc to measure the difference in performance .. And like u said the auto mags wont be interested in testing it yet again for just that .. So i guess , we can only keep wondering .. I have driven both but it doesnt seem very obvious ..

Yes samurai's car is sure a stunner .. Im just waiting for arush to do some work on a baleno ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks