Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 00:49   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
mr boss..what are your priorities??i mean driving pleasure/comfort/reliability/style.and what is your maximum budget?city/highway use.
refer my initial post.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:07   #32
BHPian

Have seen two OHC's in olx.in hyderabad location. One costing 210000 and other 260000(LPG) both has a very low mileage. Pls check them. I dont think they need a major service at such low mileage.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
Have seen two OHC's in olx.in hyderabad location.
Thanks for the info dude, but I'm looking for a TN registered car.
Old 19th August 2011, 02:17   #34
BHPian

There is one important thing i would like to point out.

I am also hunting for a used car in kolkata. One curious observation i came across was that cars there are uniformly run 30,000 to 35,000 Kms. Whether it be a 2006 or a 07 model, doesn't seem to matter. Guess owners there have a deadline wrt mileage instead of years and its not one or two, there are a whole lot of them especially if they are with a dealer.

Later on while browsing through other websites where previous owners might have advertised for their cars before selling them to dealers, i came across varying mileage for the same car.

A confirmed case of black fiesta initially had 42000 kms on its odometer now its 36000 at a dealer.

That car sure aged backwards.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ this is a common trick employed by dealers ; my observations are that odos on 4 year old cars on sale would show 35-37k and 8 years olds about 65-70k.

People with little experience or knowledge who set out to buy pre-owned cars get lured seeing such mileage.

I have seen an absolute original 2004 Corolla H5 with 1,50,000kms on the odo ; the dealer got the first 1 knocked off;and anyone who'd have seen that car would have believed that the car had done only 50k.

Get the service history checked at the dealer's and you'd know the true mileage.

Barring a few exceptions ,any car showing below 12k a year is suspect.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:35   #36
BHPian

We just cant say that, people need not run their cars 12000kms a year. Even my car does'nt run such kms, I hardly use my car say weekly once and sometimes once in three months visit my native place by car which is 700 kms two way. It hardly runs 4k to 5k kms every year. My uncle who owns 2006 santro has a odo readind of 21000 kms.
Old 19th August 2011, 10:51   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
We just cant say that, people need not run their cars 12000kms a year. Even my car does'nt run such kms, I hardly use my car say weekly once and sometimes once in three months visit my native place by car which is 700 kms two way. It hardly runs 4k to 5k kms every year. My uncle who owns 2006 santro has a odo readind of 21000 kms.

ditto.
I have a 2001 santro, which has done only 500kms in the last year, about double that last year.
since i moved to another vehicle.

Dont dismiss lesser mileage cars generalistically.
The low mileage could itself be the reason the person is selling it.
In my case, like my mom says "jang kha ke khatam ho jayegi"
(itll rust away)
Old 19th August 2011, 13:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.uno View Post
A confirmed case of black fiesta initially had 42000 kms on its odometer now its 36000 at a dealer.
I faced this problem myself. I remember posting my experience somewhere, may be out of this forum too.

We sold our M800 (we are the second owner) to a known person by signing off the documents for name transfer. For some reasons he sold the car immediately to another fellow, handing over him those documents.

Few months later I happened to see the same car near a shopping complex and the owner was chatting with some one about selling the car, when I enquired I was shocked. He is claiming he is the second owner and the car clocked only 30k km, which is half the odo reading when we sold initially.

I never trust the odo readings unless the seller is a reliable source. Always look for the service records.
Old 21st August 2011, 04:11   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it possible to get the service record without taking the vehicle to Authorized Service Stations?
Old 21st August 2011, 05:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
I haven't tried this myself but know some people have got it done through "contacts"
Old 6th September 2011, 00:14   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I'm getting this following offer, should I go for it?
2007 SX4-ZXi MT
Single Owner
90k on odo
Coimbatore registered
Silver Color
No additional accessories.
Quote-3.5 lakhs

I should ask either my friend or brother to have a look at the car by this week end. Before that what should I look for, specific to SX4?
Old 6th September 2011, 01:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Guys, I'm getting this following offer, should I go for it?
2007 SX4-ZXi MT
Single Owner
90k on odo
Coimbatore registered
Silver Color
No additional accessories.
Quote-3.5 lakhs

I should ask either my friend or brother to have a look at the car by this week end. Before that what should I look for, specific to SX4?
3.5L is good for a 2007 SX4 but 90K is on the higher side. You can a newer fiesta at the same price but with a lot less KMs logged. The maintenance of Ford is on the higher side, but as car Fiesta is miles ahead.

As of the SX4 you should drop it unless it is extremely well maintained.
Old 6th September 2011, 01:29   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
3.5L is good for a 2007 SX4 but 90K is on the higher side. You can a newer fiesta at the same price but with a lot less KMs logged. The maintenance of Ford is on the higher side, but as car Fiesta is miles ahead.
Thanks buddy,
Price is tempting and that made me turn towards SX4. My mom hates Fiesta for no reasons. We had Fiesta for less than 10 days before we upgraded to Civic. My parents were not so impressed / interested on Fiesta But for me, its a good car with better comfort. This car is not for my parents, though I'm bit attached to my mom's wish and kept Fiesta aside.

BTW what could be the issues expected from a 90k run SX4? Considering fairly maintained and serviced as per OEM spec.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy,
Price is tempting and that made me turn towards SX4. My mom hates Fiesta for no reasons. We had Fiesta for less than 10 days before we upgraded to Civic.

BTW what could be the issues expected from a 90k run SX4? Considering fairly maintained and serviced as per OEM spec.
Moe than the odo reading, what is important is how the car has been maintained in those 90k kms.Who the owner is also makes a difference.

+ves

1.cheap parts(except the lower arm)
2.easy serviceability
3.good boot

-ves

1.not a popular car
2.design will not appeal to many
3.thick A pillar obstructs view ; reversing view is bad
4.old engine which has already seen a upgrade

you'll find it difficult when you want to sell.

You could look at the thread on tips on buying a used car.

Specific checks:
  1. service history availability
  2. overall mechanically integrity with no shunts
  3. Condition of ac
This machine can easily take you to 1.5k if the first owner has taken good care.

Before you zero in on any car,look at at least 5 cars of the same make.and I am sure you'll find better examples

Last edited by vigsom : 6th September 2011 at 08:34. Reason: addition
Old 6th September 2011, 09:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Japanese cars don't have mush issues. So relax.

I am not a used car expert but the following can be good checkpoints.

- Service History: You can get to know if 90K is actual or tampered. How well has it been maintained.
- Tyres manufacturing date: It is written somewhat like dotXXX3008. It means it was manufactured on the 30th week of 2008. Apart from the tread left, the age also matters big time.
- Check the alloys for cracks.
- Battery, when was it replaced last.
- Go for an actual PUC. Check if there is smell of Petrol from exhaust. Or oil. There should be a good amount of water too.

But try to bargain a bit more considering it has 90K on the odo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks