Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 10:28   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Japanese cars don't have mush issues. So relax.

I am not a used car expert but the following can be good checkpoints.

- Service -x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x has 90K on the odo.

yup !
"mush" issues are the domain of american cars!!

Just yanking.

add to your list the huge service bill coming up in 10k kilometers
Old 6th September 2011, 17:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
-ves
1.not a popular car
2.design will not appeal to many I'm a fan of SX4
3.thick A pillar obstructs view ; reversing view is bad agree!

you'll find it difficult when you want to sell.
I'll keep the vehicle for atleast 2 years and I don't mind selling her for 50% of purchase cost after 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
-Tyres manufacturing date
- Check the alloys for cracks.
Valid point. But I wont live the 16" shoes. Will be down sizing to 15"
Thaks for the input though
Old 10th September 2011, 09:23   #48
BHPian

Mr Boss, I am also on the lookout for an automatic used budget sedan -- came across this example in Pune last week. PLanning to have a look at it today :

Used 2005 Toyota Corolla H4 1.8G (D267721) for sale in Pune - CarWale

Used 2006 Honda City ZX CVT (S240221) for sale in Pune - CarWale

can anyone comment if this price for this mileage looks good? Its a mumbai registered vehicle being sold in Pune. I have residences at both places so should not be a problem for transferring registration. Comments and inputs welcome
Old 14th September 2011, 23:51   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Thanks you guys

I'll keep the vehicle for atleast 2 years and I don't mind selling her for 50% of purchase cost after 2 years.

Valid point. But I wont live the 16" shoes. Will be down sizing to 15"
Thaks for the input though

I bought a preowned SX4 couple of weeks back. (Detailed report at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html)

The A-Pillar does obstruct view, but it is more of something that we get used to and learn to adjust. I don't see it as a major issue.

Fixing a reverse sensor will help resolve the rear visibility issue.

Note: Mine was a 2009 VVT model. I think there was some minor improvements in this version for the A Pillar and rear visibility issues.
Old 25th September 2011, 17:11   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Friends, I'll be back to India in next 20 days.
Is there any Chennai / Coimbatore T-BHPian selling your cars? First preference goes to the cars from T-BHPian only, then I'll look for the cars outside this forum. Or if you have any known and reliable source, please let me know.
Old 6th October 2011, 02:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

My next door neighbour is selling his 2001 esteem VX with 84k kms on the clock. The car is in pristine condition with CNG since last 50k kms/3 years. I should not need to spend anything apart from AC service next summer. He was asking for 1.25lac outside and straightaway said that I pay 1 lac and take the car. The car has new exhust, major service done including belts (timing too), pioneer USB CD player with JBL speakers. No major accidents but because of small dents he got the car painted 6 months back.

I have purchased pre-owned cars in past, so I have checked all the necessary stuff but is there anything specific to esteem that I should check? Also, is 1 lac including CNG a good price for a good condition car?

This will be a replacement for 800 (non AC), so I am not expecting anything much from the car apart from the fact that it has AC and should run trouble free (major ones atleast) for next couple of years..
Old 6th October 2011, 02:47   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
For a known car with service history you can go ahead buddy. 1 Lakh for a 10 year old Esteem is not a bad deal.
Check for the body panels. Except that, all other mechanicals and electricals can be repaired.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 6th October 2011 at 02:49.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 11:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
My next door neighbour is selling his 2001 esteem VX with 84k kms on the clock. He was asking for 1.25lac outside and straightaway said that I pay 1 lac and take the car. Also, is 1 lac including CNG a good price for a good condition car?
1 lakh for the Esteem is reasonable however the odometer may not be accurate because it has a 5-digit display (you can't tell if it's 84k or 184k). It does seem like a good buy considering that it has had all the necessary repairs done for you.

BTW, you may be able to get a newer diesel Esteem for the same price but with over 100k mileage; I get quotes for 80k to 1 lakh for a 2004 Esteem Di.
Old 7th October 2011, 15:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks k_nitin_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
1 lakh for the Esteem is reasonable however the odometer may not be accurate because it has a 5-digit display (you can't tell if it's 84k or 184k).
We are neighbours for over 20 years now and I have seen this car in front of me since they bought the car. The OD is not tampered for sure..

Quote:
BTW, you may be able to get a newer diesel Esteem for the same price but with over 100k mileage; I get quotes for 80k to 1 lakh for a 2004 Esteem Di.
I am not out looking for a car as such, it was this specific car that tempted me to sell the 800 for around 40k and add the remaining amount to get an AC car with CNG, even if I drive this car 15k kms instead of cedia/polo in city, I can get all my money back...
Old 9th October 2011, 19:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Used Sedan Accent in my life

After selling off my Spark, I was looking for a used Sedan with a budget of 3.0 lakhs so started doing a search through known friends, used car dealers and other sources. My driving requirement would be like an average 300 km per month. I had ruled out Maruti and Ford from my choice at the start itself.
Also considered Corsa but could not find a good one. Today got to know from my friend an Accent was up for sale as the owner was in a financial crunch. I decided to check it with my brother-in law and started, it was a 2007 1.5 GLE model which had run 27k and was in very good condition (spare tyre unused). There were very negligible scratches else car was in superb condition. We test drove it and decided to buy it. The car was maintained in good condition and the owner had not gone for any extra fitments. He started from Rs.335000 and after lot of bargain he settled for Rs.280000. The car was due for a service as per the records he showed and insurance was due in May 2012. The car is fully loaded and only work I have to get done is Remote locking, Seat covers and Sunfilm. I paid him some booking amount and will be taking the delivery either on Friday or Saturday. I am expecting a happy niggle free experience with this car same as my Spark did.
Old 9th October 2011, 19:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Congrats buddy. Price seem to be fair considering the odo reading.
Awaiting pictures
Old 9th October 2011, 20:18   #57
BHPian

I got a deal of Ford Ikon 2003 1.3 with ROCAM engine, everything looks and works decent.

- 2 rear tyres needs replacement in about 5000KM
- The A/C, is not working but the first choice people said that they will fix it and test drive before the payment.

Is 95k ok for the deal ?
Old 9th October 2011, 20:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

This will be a replacement for 800 (non AC), so I am not expecting anything much from the car apart from the fact that it has AC and should run trouble free (major ones atleast) for next couple of years..
If a good AC is important to you, then Esteem would nit be a very good bet in my view, and a 2001 Car will not have the R134 gas kit will be on the earlier gas for AC to the best of my knowledge unless the owner has changed the system. I suggest look for a good 2006+ model with AC and PS if at all you are keen on an esteem, engine wise Esteem is all good.
Old 9th October 2011, 20:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder View Post
I got a deal of Ford Ikon 2003 1.3 with ROCAM engine, everything looks and works decent.

- 2 rear tyres needs replacement in about 5000KM
- The A/C, is not working but the first choice people said that they will fix it and test drive before the payment.

Is 95k ok for the deal ?
I bought a 2005 1.3 top end with tax paid till 2015 for about 125k, and the AC was working good, I think on Ikon's you got to keep looking for a good deal and they do come by. I did change 2 tyres on mine too though.
musicmanaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 23:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I bought a 2005 1.3 top end with tax paid till 2015 for about 125k, and the AC was working good, I think on Ikon's you got to keep looking for a good deal and they do come by. I did change 2 tyres on mine too though.
I guess I will go ahead with it then. Could you tell me what size and how much the tyres cost ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks