Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:32   #1
BANNED

EMBERA or SKODA RIDER ?

Hey, This is the 3rd case where a friend has turned to me and team-bhp for a frank opinion on what car to buy ?? First it was the Skoda AT vs Manual and team-bhp said Manual and he still decided on the AT version but only for 2-3 days ... ended up paying 25K and changed it for the Manual version and now hes very happy except that his side view mirrors have been ripped of twice in less than 2 months ... !!

2nd case was between the Baleno and OHC .. Baleno won and he's close to buying a used Baleno !!

Coming to the topic ... Whats the opinion on the Embera ? I know the Skoda opinion but in comparison to the Embera what wud you guys say .. I tried searching the thread but cudn't reach a decision ..

He's been driving a Lancer for the past 4 yrs and now wants to upgrade. He drives the car for about 100-120 kms a day , 6 days a week and no driver !!! He wants something that gives a mix of power and comfort ... budget is no problem as he was looking at the Laura as well but finally wiped that option out !! He's not bothered about the brand Hyundai .. he simply wants a machine that gives him the two things mentioned a few lines earlier .. Also as I don't know how many versions of the Embera there are out there so pls be specific in deciding between Skoda Rider and the Hyundai Embera !!

Hoping to get in some nice comparisons by tomorrow night as he wants to go book whichever car he decides on Thursday itself ... so let the fingers fly !!!

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:36   #2
BHPian

Khaadu,do you mean the petrol Rider or Diesel ?? If its diesel than i dont think its the right comparison .
Firstly, he needs to decide whether he wants a Diesel or a petrol .
Anyway, Embera is available only in petrol and in two versions ,AT and MT
Where Embera Scores!
Big and spacious and looks like a true D segment car and is good enough to seat 3 people with comfort at the rear .
Good ASS and cheap spares
Rides well on mostly all kinds of surfaces
Good ,responsive engine although not as refined as Honda
[u]NOT SO GOOD
Not selling well in the market,as a result huge discounts already and that means poor resale value
It’s a Hyundai

The driving pleasure is not as good as in accords or Skodas.
Difficult to identify from the rear ,looks exactly like Accord
Very plasticky interiors

These are some of the points which comes to my mind as per now but if space is his primary concern and he is looking for a proper D segment car then its no brainer ,between the two,sonata rules the roost and is far more spacious .
Having said that ,i would recommend him the Octavia 1.9tdi over the Embera, its overall a better choice for him mainly cos he drives more than 100+kms/day ..
[COLOR=black]the sonata is a petrol and at the end of the day, the difference in the fuel costs could be immence, could save him a fortune .
The best thing is ,tl him to go and test drive both the cars .

If he is OK with the cabin space of Octavia ,then IMO that’s the car he should go in for .
If he decides to go in for the octavia,then tell him to wait for a month cos Skoda 'll soon be launching the Classic version of Octavia ,priced just above the Rider and 'll be having many more safety features and the Black Magic color(which is currently available only in the L&K)

Note from mderator - please do not create in another document and paste with formatted text as becomes messy with format commands. If you must, create a simple text, paste on the forum and add the formats over here. Had to extensively edit this post

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd February 2006 at 08:35.
Old 22nd February 2006, 05:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1.9 Tdi Automatic gets my vote.
As per u r info his usuage is pretty high 120kms a day! I suppose most of it is city driving, I really cant see myself doing that much with a manual in traffic everyday. The TDi engine would help him save up on his fuel bill too.

Since he does not care about the Hyundai then even the diesel sonata with a slush box will be a good option.
Old 22nd February 2006, 08:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

the embera and the rider are in totally different segments. If he wants a diesel, he should seriously look at the elantra crdi or else go in for the skoda.

I get the feeling htat your friend is an enthusiast and budgetr is not an issue fo rhim. In that case, y dont u recommend the Octy Vrs to him as well! Now that is what I call a car!
Old 22nd February 2006, 11:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

If he's looking for a Petrol car, Sonata.

If he's looking for diesel, Elantra CRDi it is.

Either of the cars have more room than the Skoda. are cheaper to maintain and have good build quality.
Old 22nd February 2006, 11:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Emberra or Skoda Rider? Thats a wierd ocmparision. Isn't there a 3 lakh price difference between them? And the equipement levels of the Sonata are way higher than the Rider.

If he is looking at the Octavia, then he should atleast consider the L&K which would be about the same price as the Emberra. And if he is only going to drive it himself, it may be a worthwhile option to the much larger and more comfortable Sonata.
Old 22nd February 2006, 11:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

Either of the cars have more room than the Skoda. are cheaper to maintain and have good build quality.
Exacto! Elantra comes with more options as well compared to the Rider.
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
[u]NOT SO GOOD

It’s a Hyundai
Not so long ago , guess Skoda was the butt of jokes for people around the globe. Agreed, Skoda is nowhere what it was before but take a look as well towards the strides Hyundai has made.
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:15   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Emberra or Skoda Rider? Thats a wierd ocmparision. Isn't there a 3 lakh price difference between them? And the equipement levels of the Sonata are way higher than the Rider.

If he is looking at the Octavia, then he should atleast consider the L&K which would be about the same price as the Emberra. And if he is only going to drive it himself, it may be a worthwhile option to the much larger and more comfortable Sonata.
Hey, He got this slightly wrong .. price was not an issue so the different segments didn't matter much !! His was a case of TOTAL CONFUSION ... one friend said Skoda but without the frills so the Rider version, the other one said Laura coz of its gizmos so he thought of Laura, some friend said Sonata so he said Emberra ...and finally most of his friends have the Corolla so he thought Corolla

When he came to me with the options I told him to minus the Laura as it is too over priced , Corolla - coz I feel its a gud buy if u have a driver driving you around !! So it came down to the Hyundai vs Skoda and to be frank I hadn't read much about the Embera , so I logged on in the middle of the night and posted this after I found a few old threads where there seemed a positive response to the Embera .

He just needs the pro's and con's of both cars irrespective of them being in two totally different segments ?? Just for me ... what wud u say to the Skoda RS vs the Emberaa ... wud the Rs pip the Emberaa as in overall satisafction levels ??

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Seeing that your friend is not really a "car guy", I think the Emberra would make more sense to him than the RS.
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

His two preferences
Power and Comfort = Skoda 1.8Turbo <Full Stop>

This was an easy one

(I am assuming driver comfort, since he drives the car himself)
Old 22nd February 2006, 13:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

The Sonata Embera it is !
Old 23rd February 2006, 16:37   #13
BHPian

tell him to go for skoda rs or l & k . he will be a happy driver
Old 24th February 2006, 02:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
Not so long ago , guess Skoda was the butt of jokes for people around the globe. Agreed, Skoda is nowhere what it was before but take a look as well towards the strides Hyundai has made.
OT : In india, Hyundai is still known as a brand which lacks the snob value that people expect in the C+ or D segment .. No doubt ,they do meke some good VFM cars but people who go in for these luxury cars expect their cars to raise their overall image and hyundai is far from it ..
Having said that ,i am sure in the coming years Hyundai 'll be a force to reckon with ..

Ajmat -thanx for editing the post .. I saw it after when i had posted and thought of editing it(TBH ,i am very good at it, hehehe) but was feeling very sleepy so thought of leaving this job to the mods ..
Old 9th March 2006, 22:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Has to be the Embera. The Skoda stands no chance in front of the Embera which is so good though not better then the Accord but can teach the Accord a thing or two..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks