Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 03:35   #76
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Really sorry to say but this thread is not exactly informative. Instead of Cruze vs Optra, I am seeing points about husband vs wife.

Just sharing what I feel about quality of this thread on otherwise a high viewed section of T-BHP.
Ditto. It seems like the thread initiator has already done all her homework on the merits and demerits of both the cars via owner's reviews - clearly reflects in her posts. It's more like she is seeking an advice [statements] to convince her husband go by her choice - not in the right place though.

Not to offend anyone, but I guess a question in a monthly magazine column could have been more appropriate.

Last edited by zzzehar : 14th October 2011 at 03:38.
Old 14th October 2011, 06:25   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Both of us have read GTO's posts and they were not enough to budge my husband (and apart from the fact that I would love to get the Cruze, I too felt that the comments were a tad too much!)
Well, if you see the entire sequence of events in that thread it appears that initially GTO was restrained about his views. Later on when he was kind of "pushed" he came back with a vengeance. IMHO there is nothing wrong with calling a spade, a spade. Even at one point of time I was bowled over by the Optra Magnum. However if you allow some time to pass and let the "hangover" settle down, one would tend to agree with what GTO said.

Fact remains that Optra is a great car according to many; but the market thinks otherwise.

Last edited by Gautam Misra : 14th October 2011 at 06:26.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:45   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Honestly IMO GM does NOT do a great job of marketing (all) its cars here. I know a few Aveo (/U-Va) owners in my company and they find the cars quite good. So is the Optra Magnum an excellent car - but all are market duds. Having only a good product is a job only half done. A lot of good car products across manufacturers have been phased out simply because the company (and/or general public) felt it was beyond it's product life.

But I digress - @blueorchild - I am surprised the decision is still open. By (a few of) your posts, it is clear that you are aware of the benefits of the Optra in addition to the price gap over the Cruze. Wonder why the delay still? You can't expect a better post than @mobike008''s on getting a clear comparison/feedback on both the cars.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:57   #79
BHPian

@blueorchid, why not take the indirect path. Your hubby can have the Optra as long as it has a colour which is not provided for the Optra but only for the Cruze?
Old 20th October 2011, 15:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
However if you allow some time to pass and let the "hangover" settle down, one would tend to agree with what GTO said.
10000 kms and the exhilaration continues (and I would not call it a hangover - it leaves a bad aftertaste - with the Optra, it's just plain sweet!). I still can't get enough of it!
Old 20th October 2011, 20:04   #81

Hello,

Few of my views:
Have owned an Optra Magnum and the rear seat comfort is fantastic. It feels great when I am driven around. However, the driving pleasure is not that great. (mine is the petrol version)

I have extensively driven the Cruze Automatic Diesel and it is a stunner. The dash is superb and as most would agree, this is definitely the younger car. Rear seat comfort is pretty decent and so is the equipment list.

2 more arguments in favour of the Cruze:
1. you get 150 Bhp without modifying
2. it may have a better resale value since the Optra may soon be discontinued
(same way as Octavia enjoys a lower resale value than its sister Laura)
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:21   #82

To help the OP, I was going the new structural design route with a view of safety. And Cruze does do better at crash tests. I could find only the Australian NCAP, where data was available for both. (Optra was not testen in Euro-NCAP and IIHS, and for china-NCAP and korean NCAP, I was unable to find english websites)

Here are the links to the A-NCAP rating for both vehicles.

Optra
ANCAP - Crash Test Results.
Cruze
ANCAP - Crash Test Results.

Also the Euro-NCAP page for Cruze
Chevrolet Cruze | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

IIHS for Cruze
IIHS-HLDI: Chevrolet Cruze

And before anyone points it out, these vehicles tested are not the same as those sold in India (well, structurally they are, but not in features - like multiple airbags). I just want to point out that with time, the structure of the vehicles have become better from a crash perspective. This is a major selling point for me. If I can afford it, I would buy a safer vehicle!!

Disclaimer: I work in the auto industry with GM, in the area of crash and safety research.
anshul_UVA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 14:08   #83
BHPian

Here are the reasons you should go for the Cruze and not the Optra:

The Optra is merely a facelifted Daewoo Nubira, a DEAD model (no offence to the people who own it). It definitely has a nice engine and you could mod it and get more BHP but I wouldn't call Chevy dealership or service stations the friendliest of places, let alone to a modded car, out goes your warranty honey. Unless you have truck loads of cash, in which case you wouldn't be buying american trash anyway. No offence meant again, I too own a Cruze. lol

Moreover, The Cruze is stock 150 BHP, so you don't need to mod it, the 327 Torque is amazing, its a bigger car, it looks better, the suspension is better. The rear seats are low but in no way there is more space in an Optra, I mean come on people !!! The cars we are talking about are from different segments. What next ? Santro rear seats are better because its a tall boy design ! Give me a break ..

It is very stupid to compare a dead model to a World Model (Cruze). Its simply bizzare. Optra is a "has been" car and frankly the front seats are way too small for a 6 foot foodie. (like me). Also the equipment level differs. Also the class is different. Cruze has bigger tyres. The Cruze has killer looks. The Optra looks like a generation old. Cruze has cruise control, it has an automatic rear view mirror, heated ovrms, Programmable Follow Me Home Headlamps, Rear Parking Assist, bluetooth, etc. etc. etc.

Also, a 10 and a 5 have never been the same. They are always different. Please tell your husband to buy the Cruze and feel good about his money spent.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:09   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomonstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul_UVA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
Hi everybody,
Thanks a lot for all the comments. In the end, we have gone ahead and purchased the Optra. We now have a brand new Sand Drift Grey Optra LS.
I am not planning to start an ownership thread, so the initial purchase details are as follows :

Optra Magnum TCDi - SD Grey - LS

Accessories fitted :
V-Kool on all windows
Reverse parking assist with camera
Pirelli tyres - P4 Four Season 195/60/R15 88H
Custom leatherette seat covers and steering cover (ordered)
Race Chip and K&N (ordered from RaceChip)
Headlights changed to Philips Extreme Vision
Changed all interior lights to white LEDs

Finished the 1000 km mark and service, and I am glad to say that I am enjoying the ride (and not missing the Cruze as I thought I would). And also, I did get my compensation - let me just say that all the saved money has been squandered
Old 14th November 2011, 17:24   #85
BHPian

Quote:
its a bigger car

On the outside - and heavier too!

the suspension is better.

Are you serious? Have you not read the posts talking about the all independent suspension in the Optra and the torsion bar in the Cruze?

The rear seats are low but in no way there is more space in an Optra, I mean come on people

Seriously - you COME ON!! Space is a known issue in the Cruze and has always been a plus for the Optra - don't put up arguments just because you have to!

frankly the front seats are way too small for a 6 foot foodie. (like me).

Woah!! Are we talking 6 foot vertical or horizontal?

Cruze has bigger tyres.

And so?

Cruze has cruise control, it has an automatic rear view mirror, heated ovrms, Programmable Follow Me Home Headlamps, Rear Parking Assist, bluetooth, etc. etc. etc.

Read this
The Cruze is no doubt good, but some of the points are invalid!

Quote:
Hi everybody,
Thanks a lot for all the comments. In the end, we have gone ahead and purchased the Optra. We now have a brand new Sand Drift Grey Optra LS.
Congrats Blue (and an even bigger congrats to your hubby - it's rare when the guy wins)

Also, how much did the Pirellis cost you, and how is the feel?
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 19:45   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
The Cruze is no doubt good, but some of the points are invalid!
The Cruze is well built, feels stronger, and is bigger than the Optra. The boot size is more, the space on the front is more, I mean you can easily make out the difference when sitting in a car, of a segment below.

The suspension in the Cruze feels much better than in the Optra, it's definitely much softer. I don't have any posts where I've written about this but my family has owned both vehicles.

The rear seats in the Cruze are low and though it is not as spacious as the Skoda Laura and the Civic, comparing it to a SEGMENT BELOW just to justify our usual feel for buying inferior or cheaper vehicles is finally making sense to me. I mean compare your vehicle to the Honda City I would understand and probably join you.

6 foot vertical and heavy, I bet the seats would disappear if I sit in your puny Optra

Bigger tyres always translate into better ride, grip on the road, and braking as well. Read specs on any website and you'll see why the Cruze stops 5 metres earlier. In most scenarios, size matters. The Cruze is also the world's Safest car in production, its also a successful car worldwide, and a built to scratch from Chevy, with features much more than I could compile in my post.

And please never ever invest in a high end luxury vehicle if too many controls make your claustrophobic. I mean we all discuss how the Bimmers are great vehicles and gasp at their beauty, please know that its not some German God in those vehicles who unveils himself every time we turn on the engine, its amazing engines, top notch controls, build quality, etc.

With this I rest my case.

And congratulations to Blue Orchid for finally making a purchase .... enjoy the Magnum and do post a detailed review for those of us aiming for the Optra

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th November 2011 at 12:08. Reason: 2 Smileys per post only please
Old 14th November 2011, 22:04   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreethkanwar View Post
The Cruze is well built, feels stronger, and is bigger than the Optra. The boot size is more, the space on the front is more, I mean you can easily make out the difference when sitting in a car, of a segment below.

The suspension in the Cruze feels much better than in the Optra, it's definitely much softer. I don't have any posts where I've written about this but my family has owned both vehicles.

The rear seats in the Cruze are low and though it is not as spacious as the Skoda Laura and the Civic, comparing it to a SEGMENT BELOW just to justify our usual feel for buying inferior or cheaper vehicles is finally making sense to me. I mean compare your vehicle to the Honda City I would understand and probably join you.

6 foot vertical and heavy, I bet the seats would disappear if I sit in your puny Optra

Bigger tyres always translate into better ride, grip on the road, and braking as well. Read specs on any website and you'll see why the Cruze stops 5 metres earlier. In most scenarios, size matters. The Cruze is also the world's Safest car in production, its also a successful car worldwide, and a built to scratch from Chevy, with features much more than I could compile in my post.

And please never ever invest in a high end luxury vehicle if too many controls make your claustrophobic. I mean we all discuss how the Bimmers are great vehicles and gasp at their beauty, please know that its not some German God in those vehicles who unveils himself every time we turn on the engine, its amazing engines, top notch controls, build quality, etc.

With this I rest my case.

And congratulations to Blue Orchid for finally making a purchase .... enjoy the Magnum and do post a detailed review for those of us aiming for the Optra
?? I feel this post is pushing the cruze v/s the optra even though the reality is different. Each to his own opinion. I'm not trying to fight your opinion and this comment is purely my own humble one. My LT purchase was the outcome after comparing / elimination / booking / cancellations across many brands and request future buyers to do their own evaluation of their needs before arriving at any decision. Please don't jump back on me. Peace

Quote:
Hi everybody,
I am not planning to start an ownership thread, so the initial purchase details are as follows :

Optra Magnum TCDi - SD Grey - LS

<text cut>

Finished the 1000 km mark and service, and I am glad to say that I am enjoying the ride (and not missing the Cruze as I thought I would). And also, I did get my compensation - let me just say that all the saved money has been squandered
Congratulations! I'm sure the you will not miss the console of the cruze too much. After all you'd be driving. And regards to the compensation I can only

Can I ask why did you settle for an LS? The freedom to customize the interiors?

Please post some photos of the philips and led lighting, interiors and tyres. It will be nice. Thanks.

Last edited by optimist : 14th November 2011 at 22:28.
Old 14th November 2011, 23:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:

Perceptions are perceptions and facts are facts. I have heard / read a lot of negative things about Optra but driver's seat being small is the first time I am reading about. After migrating from Baleno to Optra, my major complaint was the driver's seat was too wide and big for my frame - I am 5'5". I was used to a more snug feeling Baleno seat and suddenly I found myself in a huge bucket of a seat.

My Optra met with an accident couple of months after I bought it and I was by then used to the wide seat which could seat a person 1 1/2 times my size. Post accident I had to use my Baleno for 3-4 weeks and was so happy with the smaller seat. if I were to change anything in my Optra it would be downsizing the driver's seat.

Blueorchid: So both of you won. Same was the case with me and my wife. She wanted a Cruze, I wanted an Optra, I got my Optra, she got a sizeable portion of the savings. Wishing you a long and happy ownership of the Optra.
Old 15th November 2011, 08:50   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid
In the end, we have gone ahead and purchased the Optra. We now have a brand new Sand Drift Grey Optra LS.
Congratulations Blue, wishing you many a Happy Miles with the Beast.

Do keep us posted on the ownership experience.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 15th November 2011, 11:55   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Perceptions are perceptions and facts are facts. I have heard / read a lot of negative things about Optra but driver's seat being small is the first time I am reading about. After migrating from Baleno to Optra, my major complaint was the driver's seat was too wide and big for my frame - I am 5'5". I was used to a more snug feeling Baleno seat and suddenly I found myself in a huge bucket of a seat.
I only meant the seats in the Cruze are bigger than the Optra. And I don't know about your frame but I definitely feel more comfortable in the Cruze than the Optra. Based on fact since I own both cars, and the general idea that usually cars from upper segments have bigger seats. Don't get me wrong, I can still fit on a Nano seat but I would never go and compare them to Santro's seats.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed