Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 12:05   #91
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
?? I feel this post is pushing the cruze v/s the optra even though the reality is different. Each to his own opinion. I'm not trying to fight your opinion and this comment is purely my own humble one. My LT purchase was the outcome after comparing / elimination / booking / cancellations across many brands and request future buyers to do their own evaluation of their needs before arriving at any decision. Please don't jump back on me. Peace.
I'm sure everyone's just stating their opinion. I have no intentions to jump on you, given my frame , But sometimes its best not to go out of line and justify one's purchase by stating it is better than the obvious and clear better/superior product. I would never ever call a Pentium 2 better than a core i7 even if it does the job for me just right.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Hi everybody,
Thanks a lot for all the comments. In the end, we have gone ahead and purchased the Optra. We now have a brand new Sand Drift Grey Optra LS.
I am not planning to start an ownership thread, so the initial purchase details are as follows :

Optra Magnum TCDi - SD Grey - LS
Congrats. That's indeed a lovely car but, it must have been a tough decision to not buy the Cruze despite having the budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
The Cruze is also the world's Safest car in production, its also a successful car worldwide, and a built to scratch from Chevy, with features much more than I could compile in my post.
I agree. It's just not right to compare the Cruze with an Optra as its superior in almost every parameter and only credit an Optra should be given is on the ample space availability. Let's also not forget that Cruze has pulled GM out of bankruptcy by becoming the only brand in its stable to sell 1 Million units worldwide.

There arent too many cars out there with such volumes and distinction of saving a company from brink of disaster

Chevrolet Cruze passes 1 million unit landmark on 100th bday

Quote:
I only meant the seats in the Cruze are bigger than the Optra. And I don't know about your frame but I definitely feel more comfortable in the Cruze than the Optra. Based on fact since I own both cars, and the general idea that usually cars from upper segments have bigger seats. Don't get me wrong, I can still fit on a Nano seat but I would never go and compare them to Santro's seats.
I am 6ft. 1inch and Cruze seats are a snug fit for me but, never noticed or can recall the size of Optra seats even though i have driven it. But, I do agree the seats in Cruze are quite large sized but, rear seat space leaves a lot to desire ( not that it matters in my personal choice)
Old 15th November 2011, 13:57   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi everybody,
Thanks a lot for all the comments. In the end, we have gone ahead and purchased the Optra. We now have a brand new Sand Drift Grey Optra LS.
Congratulations blueorchid on the purchase!

Quote:
The Cruze is well built, feels stronger, and is bigger than the Optra. The boot size is more, the space on the front is more, I mean you can easily make out the difference when sitting in a car, of a segment below.
The suspension in the Cruze feels much better than in the Optra, it's definitely much softer. I don't have any posts where I've written about this but my family has owned both vehicles.
The rear seats in the Cruze are low and though it is not as spacious as the Skoda Laura and the Civic, comparing it to a SEGMENT BELOW just to justify our usual feel for buying inferior or cheaper vehicles is finally making sense to me. I mean compare your vehicle to the Honda City I would understand and probably join you.
6 foot vertical and heavy, I bet the seats would disappear if I sit in your puny Optra
Quite tall comments there. Isn’t Optra the predecessor of Cruze? I thought it went a segment down with the new version’s arrival i.e.; Cruze (Similar to how Ford Fiesta was repositioned as Fiesta classic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar
The Cruze is also the world's Safest car in production, its also a successful car worldwide, and a built to scratch from Chevy, with features much more than I could compile in my post.
Successful it is, but world’s safest car in production? It would be of great help if you can provide the source of this information. Thanks!
Old 15th November 2011, 15:34   #94
BHPian

Congrats for the new buy, Optra is a VFM to drive in every aspect. However my heart beats for CRUZE.

Keep us posted with your reviews and pictures.
Old 15th November 2011, 16:27   #95
BHPian

@Blue Orchid: Did you consider waiting for the Chevy Sonic to be launched in 1st quarter 2012?
Old 15th November 2011, 18:42   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats blueorchid for the new Optra. I can only say-"All is well that ends well,keeping everyone happy". Glad to know that you could overcome your confusion and go ahead with the Optra- a good car with a good many happy followers(no offence to other car owners). Wishing you (and your hubby) many happy miles in it.

Do post some pics of your beauty.
Old 16th November 2011, 23:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
@Blue Orchid: Did you consider waiting for the Chevy Sonic to be launched in 1st quarter 2012?
The Sonic is an Aveo variant is it not? Sonic Hatch = UVA, Sonic Sedan = Aveo.
And aren't the engines 1.6l petrol and 1.4l diesel? In this case, they would not come even close to the 2.0L monsters!
Old 17th November 2011, 12:37   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Congrats Blue (and an even bigger congrats to your hubby - it's rare when the guy wins)

Also, how much did the Pirellis cost you, and how is the feel?
Thanks Keyur!
It's unfair for me to win everytime, so I LET him win this time
The Pirellis cost us 5100 per tyre. We sold the Apollos at 3800 per tyre to a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations blueorchid on the purchase!

Quite tall comments there. Isn’t Optra the predecessor of Cruze? I thought it went a segment down with the new version’s arrival i.e.; Cruze (Similar to how Ford Fiesta was repositioned as Fiesta classic).
Thanks VB. I agree here! The Optra was and still is (nearly) in the same segment as the Cruze - price is not the factor that defines the segment, and people should learn to understand that!

Quote:
I would never ever call a Pentium 2 better than a core i7 even if it does the job for me just right.
It is illogical to compare a Pentium 2 to the Core i7 - it just makes no sense! And taking that as an analogy here is even more illogical - remember that both the Cruze and Optra have the same engine - so if you do want give an analogy with computers, you could probably compare the i5-2430 (with a simple looking cabinet) and the i5-2540 (with a jazzy cabinet, better graphics card etc) - the i7 should be left for the biggies - the Cruze definitely is not an i7!!

Analogies make sense only when you can relate to them!

Quote:
Congratulations! I'm sure the you will not miss the console of the cruze too much. After all you'd be driving. And regards to the compensation I can only

Can I ask why did you settle for an LS? The freedom to customize the interiors?
Thanks Optimist! Well, my husband had a detailed debate with a few fellow BHPians and felt that we do not want the Auto Climate control (with the frosting issue being common in Optras), the ABS and I hated the chrome on the side anyways!
Some of the 1 lakh saved was promptly spent on the accessories and the rest is kept aside by my husband (I do not get to spend that) for whatever changes he mods he intends to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Too late! Hadn't even heard much about this. Asked my hubby about it after reading your post and he said that in all probability the Sail is coming to India (not the Sonic) and either ways, a 1.4L diesel is not something that we would consider!
blueorchid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 12:47   #99
BHPian

Quote:
The Pirellis cost us 5100 per tyre. We sold the Apollos at 3800 per tyre to a friend.
That's a pretty good deal you got there!!

Quote:
It is illogical to compare a Pentium 2 to the Core i7 - it just makes no sense! And taking that as an analogy here is even more illogical - remember that both the Cruze and Optra have the same engine - so if you do want give an analogy with computers, you could probably compare the i5-2430 (with a simple looking cabinet) and the i5-2540 (with a jazzy cabinet, better graphics card etc) - the i7 should be left for the biggies - the Cruze definitely is not an i7!!

Analogies make sense only when you can relate to them!
Spot on!! Love the new analogy!
Old 17th November 2011, 14:40   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
That's a pretty good deal you got there!!

Spot on!! Love the new analogy!
Yes spot on.

Next up ladies and gentlemen, we compare the Optra to the Captiva. Can this C segment car beat the 20 Lac SUV, well we are sure it can folks, why ? cause they share the same engine.. Yayy !

Do you know that the Audi A1 and (my) Volkswagen Polo are based on the same platform? And that I'm soon going to get 4 Audi rings and put'em on my car removing that stupid VW badge, cause hey, its the same car, the audi is just a little fancier; and yeah a lot expensive; oh yeah and I'd probably have to import it too so taxes; but, I got the POLO, so I got an Audi !! yay !

IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

Moderators: The amount of sarcasm in the above message might be a little too much so feel free to delete the post.

Last edited by harpreetkanwar : 17th November 2011 at 14:42.
harpreetkanwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 14:57   #101
BHPian

Congratulations for the Optra. Its an excellent VFM car and one of my favorite in the 8-12 lakhs bracket apart from the Cedia.

Being a cruze owner and someone who has driven the optra magnum extensively, here are some of my inputs:

1. The optra has a better rear comfort and space. The seats are also more supportive.
2. The optra feels better put together whereas cruze although rich on equipments doesn't feel as solid. Optra is definitely more plush
3. Turbo lag is lesser in magnum whereas its more prominent in the cruze. The turbo kick is also more pronounced in magnum whereas its more linear in the cruze. Some like it this way.
4. Cruze is way ahead of optra in terms of looks, equipments, gadgetry, crash safety and sense of occasion.
5. The suspension of cruze especially in rear is harsh and it crashes on the potholes whereas optra's suspension feels more refined and composed in comparison.
6. Cruze appeals more to the younger crowd in comparison to the optra.
7. Performance of both is almost identical. Cruze might be a second quicker in a dash to 0-100
8. Cruze is a better handler in comparison to optra. I have pushed both the cars hard at corners and cruze does feel better. The steering is more forgiving. The high speed stability and manners of cruze is definitively better then optra.
9. Interiors of cruze are more appealing and optra's dash looks dated in comparison. As a self drive i would love to drive cruze if i can forgive the turbo lag.
10. Optra as a package is hard to beat in its price bracket.
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 15:09   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22

Being a cruze owner and someone who has driven the optra magnum extensively, here are some of my inputs:

1. The optra has a better rear comfort and space. The seats are also more supportive.
2. The optra feels better put together whereas cruze although rich on equipments doesn't feel as solid. Optra is definitely more plush
3. Turbo lag is lesser in magnum whereas its more prominent in the cruze. The turbo kick is also more pronounced in magnum whereas its more linear in the cruze. Some like it this way.
4. The suspension of cruze especially in rear is harsh and it crashes on the potholes whereas optra's suspension feels more refined and composed in comparison.
5. Performance of both is almost identical. Cruze might be a second quicker in a dash to 0-100
6. Optra as a package is hard to beat in its price bracket.

Harpreet - After, Ashish has responded (he has been around with both) do you need more reasons to plonk in the hard earned 4L + on the Cruze?

What is your definition of a platform BTW?

Pardon me but, platform and engine to me two very very separate entities, if you feel putting the Audi badge makes you happier please go ahead and put it on.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 16:12   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Yes spot on.

Next up ladies and gentlemen, we compare the Optra to the Captiva.

IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

I agree that ignorance is bliss. Read ashish's post above - he has given a clear and well known and accepted comparison between the Optra and the Cruze, unlike your own - which is pushing it too far!!

And yeah, if we need to take the analogy further for the Optra, Cruze and the Captiva (whose engine is identical to the Cruze) - you can define it as follows :

1. Optra - i5-2430 - factory settings - simple cabinet - no jazz
2. Cruze - i5-2540 - factory settings - jazzy cabinet, lights and the goods
3. Captiva - i5-2540 - highly overclocked - water cooled CPU - jazzy cabinet, motherboard with a higher frequency bus, faster RAM, lights and the goods

The analogy mentioned by blue is CPU = Engine, so tomorrow if the Camarro also comes with this engine, well, the analogy stays! You can change the motherboard, the graphics, the cabinet and add anything else you want - what we are talking about is the CPU (Engine).

If you feel that the A1 and the Polo are on the same platform, well, give an analogy accordingly - and as Torq says, if you want to remove the VW badge (which you find stupid) and put the Audi badge - my best wishes are with you - be happy!

Blue was right - Analogy makes sense only when it is logical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Congratulations for the Optra. Its an excellent VFM car and one of my favorite in the 8-12 lakhs bracket apart from the Cedia.

Ashish - this is the second time I am using the same exclamation in 1 day on the same page on tBHP!

Spot On! You have nailed it! Now that is what I call a honest comparison - putting the points exactly for what they are!
Old 17th November 2011, 22:47   #104
BHPian

what is bothering me is the level people go to to justify their purchase totally trying to paint a wrong picture to the average guy reading this forum.... Its just wrong to compare these vehicles in my opinion and some people cant accept that, so please keep me out of this...
And i am not bashing the optra, i am asking not to compare it unfairly and its people who said they cud upgrade the optra to shiny gadgets not me... I just repeated.

I mean no disrespect trust me. And heres the truth... When optra was launched i was one of the first people to simply adore this car and hence buy the 1.8LT also. I loved the car but in my opinion, cruze is a step up and thats it.

And to the megadeath guy go bang ur head elsewhere. This is teambhp and not some rock concert.
harpreetkanwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 22:50   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I have 2 question to all:

1. What is the amount of time you spend fiddling with gizmos in your car while driving? I am looking for an answer like x minutes in an hour of driving (headlight/wiper/indicators/AC excluded; GPS / Phone not counted)

My answer: less than 2 minutes including audio adjustments .
Yes 2 minutes of fiddling to ensure 58 minutes of satisfaction rather than 60 minutes of contentment.
Quote:
2. What is the amount of speed you are able to manage in your city drives and for what distance.
A very subjective question. What is the city? What is the road condition? How is the traffic?
Quote:
I'm not trying to either support you or bash you but let me just say that each is entitled to his opinion. If someone likes the Cruze, just go buy it. Why bash the optra? Why are you saying Upgrade Upgrade?
'Bashing' is an opinion. People give pros and cons or just pros or just cons about a car when someone asks about it on this forum. It is their opinion. The only question is how accurate the opinion is and whether it answers the question asked by the prospective buyer. We have to tolerate criticism about our beloved car just as we cherish praises for the same.
Quote:
Now If it matters cruze bashing v/s the optra.
2. The black interiors of the cruze are a dust magnet. (My personal opinion)
I agree. Good thing mine has grey.. err even more dull!
Quote:
3. The turbo lag is more in cruze.
Only people with wooden legs complain about turbo lag forever.
Quote:
4. There are NO lumbar adjustment and proper height adjustments.
Comparing to an Audi now, are we?
Quote:
5. The ORVM adjustments in the cruze are very inconveniently located.
Personally I find them in the perfect place. Just in reach of my index finger when I place my hand on the door handle to either close it or open it! I do not remember about the Optra's ORVM switch placement enough to compare it though.
Quote:
6. The single 12V socket is not convenient at all. Optra LT has 2 and very usable.
Cruze LTZ has 2 too. Aha!
Quote:
8. The Cruze rear seat leaves a lot to be desired, both in headroom and legroom.
I agree. It is one of my accepted grudges regarding the Cruze before I bought it and hopefully they will address it in the 2012 model for the benefit of tall customers.
Quote:
9. It is well accepted that the ride of the cruze is harsh.
Softer suspension or 'harsher' precise suspension? This is a subjective choice. Personally I like control and precision than a dampened ride. It helps that I drive alone 90% of the time. Optra is more suited if the elderly, an infant or a pregnant woman will be traveling in it for example. Or if one prefers to ride on a pillow all the time.
Quote:
10. The rear view mirror is smaller in cruze.
Is it? I thought it was a tad too big when I keep getting glare from the headlights of vans and trucks behind me.
Quote:
11. No standard 2 din slot to fit whatever you want! The sunlight falls straight on the console lcd in the cruze.
The sunlight does not fall on the LCD screen. The matte LCD screen is inset by 2 inches and the only place from where the sunlight can fall on it is through an open sun roof with the sun above and behind.
Quote:
12. I had tried hard to find a boot open lever or button on the driver side but saw none. I could see one hidden along with the number plate lamps on the boot. Now do you have to get out every time you enter into an office or apartment and the security wants to check the boot?
I use the remote key. That is another 5 second of gizmo fiddling to you.
Quote:
14. The rear windows are small in cruze, hampering visibility.
Few females have told me that they love the perfect curve of the Cruze roof line. Rear visibility of rarely occupied back seats is a negligible price to pay for such impressions, is it not?
Quote:
16. Power/Torque : Irrelevant to 99.99% of the junta! No one is a street racer. Not that the Optra is lacking by any significant amount.
etc. etc.
I agree that no one is a racer. Yes the Optra is not lacking. However it is quite relevant to the ju.. err people. More power and control means safer overtaking for example.
Quote:
I had specifically done the above comparison along with photos with optra and cruze alongside when Blue first asked for opinions but refrained from posting as it would be their choice. I'm really glad they got the optra.
So you chose not to help a young couple when they needed it most? Well we Cruze fans are more passionate and kind to such beautiful things like cars and marital love.
Quote:
Read the sentence in bold above again.

Now I'd just swallow my ego and let the matter go silent if I was you. It's now pointless to discuss any further on this topic.
Drat! You should have written this at the top of your post! Now I am just not going to let me answers go waste...
SedatedDrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks