Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 22:30   #46
BHPian

Re: What Car : Sunny vs Vento ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathsolomon View Post
Which is a better buy - Old Jetta 2.0 Trendline or Cruze Automatic Diesel.
Cruze AT as said above will make driving in Chennai a stress-free experience.

Quote:
What is the mileage for above.
The Cruze MT gives me 11 Km/L on average. I expect the Cruze AT to give around 10-10.5 Km/L. I am not sure about the old Jetta.

Quote:
Where do they compare in terms of maintenance
As per Mobike's ownership thread, its approximately 50 p/Km for the Cruze.

Quote:
which is the best for city use,( handling bumps,potholes, mileage etc)
Cruze is low slung. But in Chennai the speed bumps are more sane than in Bangalore. I have not scrapped in Chennai. But go over big bumps angled if you are not sure, especially at the Toll gates.

Quote:
highway use ( in terms of safety and ride)
Both handle well on the highway. I have read that the Jetta does it better at corners. Personally I was able to tackle some of those curvy bridges on the Chennai-Bangalore highway at 140-160km/hr and the Cruze is able to handle it comfortably (Disclaimer: I am not suggesting or recommending such driving to anyone. Judge the driving conditions and drive safe accordingly). But I wouldn't push it beyond that. The main reason is that the quality of roads and bridges are still not good enough and you will come across uneven surfaces sometimes. Its better to take corners slowly and wait for the straight stretches where you can then accelerate away with ease.

I suggest you ask for a highway test drive of the Jetta if possible.

Quote:
The Cruze seemed very low profile - does it scrape bumpers ???
Not an issue in Chennai. In Bangalore, it should never be an issue if you use angled crossing of speed bumps that appear as if they might scrape your bottom.
Old 25th October 2011, 23:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

@bharathsolomon

I have driven the old Jetta extensively and personally I feel it is the best handler in its segment with an impeccable drive quality. It maybe slightly stiff but irons out potholes very well. The car I was driving used to return 12 - 12.5 kmpl as per the MFD at all times in city conditions. The 110 PS may seem inadequate but the torque spread just does not disappoint coupled with the slick 5 speed gearbox it is really adequate and pleasant to drive. The build quality and interior feel is way ahead of all its competitors with the Laura being the closest rival. Even the new Jetta is too plasticky compared to the older 1. At 13.8 L it is a steal if the resale value is not your priority. If I was in the market for a sedan I would definately go in for the older Jetta.

BTW what sort of discounts are you getting if you dont mind disclosing?? I am sure you can get the final price lowered considering its discontinued now.
Old 26th October 2011, 10:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine has the Cruze AT, and I do travel in it in a fair bit. Excellent car all round and I'd heartily recommend it over the older Jetta, but I will add one correction to SedatedDrive's statement. The Cruze most assuredly hasn't given double digit mileage within the city. It gives approx 7.5 kmpl. Mind you, this is with very free-spirited, heavy footed driving. If one were more sensible, double digits might just be a possibility. But you don't buy an AT thinking about fuel efficiency. Just the wrong approach.

As for

Maintenance: the Cruze has the 3 year plan provided by Chevrolet, so no worries!

City: The Jetta perhaps scores over here, but I can't say that for sure since I've never been in one. The thing with the Cruze is that I personally think that gearbox is a bit rubbish for a car of this quality, and it shows in the city. Where the car really shines is the...

Highway: That 2 litre engine in the Cruze is a really good one. Tons of torque and power on tap and it's just such a pleasure to drive when you floor it.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:08   #49
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade from my i10, and am looking for a car around the 7 lakh mark. (ex showroom). I had almost finalized on the Nissan Sunny. But then saw that prices of the Ford Fiesta Classic, and this put me into a bit of a dilema. And to make matters worse, the Duster (Se-Dustress) is also tempting me.

I will be driving around 1500 km per month, but can't afford a diesel. Petrol is fine since i get petrol allowance. Moreover, All the diesel cars which are around the 7 lakh range are hatchbacks. And I dont' want another hatch back.

Please advice, Sunny XL, Fiesta Classic, or Duster?
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:35   #50
BHPian

Maybe you should look at the Renault Scala as well. It's yet to be launched but that should happen soon enough. Check out the pictures of the Scala on the forum.
No word on the pricing but considering the strategy Renault used for the Duster expect this to be aggressive as well. However it will be more expensive than a Sunny keeping in mind the Nissan Renault hierarchy.

Sorry for adding to the confusion.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:49   #51
BHPian

Any speculation of when it will be released? and any idea whether preorders have started?
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:00   #52
BHPian

Sorry. I have no idea about it. I think plans are on to launch it around Diwali. You will have to probably talk to a dealer about the pre-orders. No instances of this on the forum. This thread might help-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ult-scala.html
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:19   #53
BHPian

Also, the Duster is enticing. But I have to go for the base model, because i can't go over 7 lakhs. How good an option is that?
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:48   #54
BHPian

Do you really need an SUV/MUV ? A sedan will offer better driving dynamics.
Also by going for the Duster you will be comprimising on the safety features like ABS and airbags, which I feel are the most important features in a car.

My advice is skip the Duster unless you really need a SUV. A Sunny or a Fiesta or even a Scala will give you more bang for your buck as well as a better driving experience.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I am planning to upgrade from my i10, and am looking for a car around the 7 lakh mark. (ex showroom). I had almost finalized on the Nissan Sunny. But then saw that prices of the Ford Fiesta Classic, and this put me into a bit of a dilema. And to make matters worse, the Duster (Se-Dustress) is also tempting me.

I will be driving around 1500 km per month, but can't afford a diesel. Petrol is fine since i get petrol allowance. Moreover, All the diesel cars which are around the 7 lakh range are hatchbacks. And I dont' want another hatch back.

Please advice, Sunny XL, Fiesta Classic, or Duster?
Go for Sunny if you are looking to be driven around, if self driven the Fiesta Classic is a better option and is not very heavy on the purse either. Ford *** is not considered the best, but at least there are more options than Nissan.
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:23   #56
BHPian

It will be a self drive. Fiesta Classic then? But duster? :(
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
It will be a self drive. Fiesta Classic then? But duster? :(
If you're gonna go for a petrol, why not the best petrol engine in the market today !! Honda City i-vtec... looks decent, good mileage and fun to drive..The corporate Edition might be in your budget(with a Little bit extension).
Old 19th December 2012, 20:28   #58
BHPian

Sub-10 lakh rupee Petrol sedan - Vento vs Verna vs Rapid

I am starting this thread on behalf of a friend, who's not on Team-BHP. He's looking to buy a sub-10 lakh rupee petrol sedan and is confused between the Skoda Rapid Elegance, Volkswagen Vento Highline and the Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX (Option Pack). He's currently driving a Maruti Zen and the following are his requirements:
  • Average Monthy Running > 1000 kms.
  • Decent Fuel Efficiency
  • Good rear-seat comfort
  • Well Built
  • Decent ride-quality > 120kph
  • Good to drive + manual transmission
  • Hassle-free ownership experience
  • Decent after-sales support
  • Shouldn't cost more than 10-lakh rupees (on-road Bhopal)
  • Should be reliable for the long-run

He did consider the Honda City, new Ford Fiesta, Renault Scala and the Linea T-Jet as well, but didn't like either of them. I've recommended him the Vento, considering it covers most of his criteria but he prefer's the Verna more.

He'll be following this thread as a guest and is looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited by Abhinav667 : 19th December 2012 at 20:30.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:56   #59
BHPian

Re: Sub-10 lakh rupee Petrol sedan - Vento vs Verna vs Rapid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
I am starting this thread on behalf of a friend, who's not on Team-BHP. He's looking to buy a sub-10 lakh rupee petrol sedan and is confused between the Skoda Rapid Elegance, Volkswagen Vento Highline and the Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX (Option Pack). He's currently driving a Maruti Zen and the following are his requirements:
  • Average Monthy Running > 1000 kms.
  • Decent Fuel Efficiency
  • Good rear-seat comfort
  • Well Built
  • Decent ride-quality > 120kph
  • Good to drive + manual transmission
  • Hassle-free ownership experience
  • Decent after-sales support
  • Shouldn't cost more than 10-lakh rupees (on-road Bhopal)
  • Should be reliable for the long-run
He did consider the Honda City, new Ford Fiesta, Renault Scala and the Linea T-Jet as well, but didn't like either of them. I've recommended him the Vento, considering it covers most of his criteria but he prefer's the Verna more.

He'll be following this thread as a guest and is looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks.
The Rapid and Vento Sisters are a good bet for the requirements he has. When you say 'Ride' at >120 Kmph, did you mean handling? Because most of the Sedans will give you pliant ride at those speeds. (except maybe the Verna)
The Verna doesnt really inspire at high speeds and also (doesnt feel built to last (on Indian Roads). Also A$$ costs are higher for Hyundai. Havign driven the Verna extensively (though it was a diesel for 2K kms), I was really put off by the uninspiring handling, super light steering and the rear seat comfort. It does look good, but then the excitement fades out soon.

I have been regularly using a friends Manza Aura ABS- SaFiRE90 and it can actually fit a lot of the requirements he has. It is pretty quick on the accelaration, I have got an FE of 13.5 kmpl on a mixed highway/ packed city run. Extremely comfortable at all speeds and the FIAT engine is a beauty. Reliability wise, if I compare it to my 3 year old 47K kms driven Vista SaFiRe65, which has not given me any issues (touch wood) till date then, it will be extremely reliable. Ask him to take a look at that as well.

A$$ wise I havent had any issues with Tata and the service levels are comparable to Hyundai. Also VW/ Skoda parts are comparatively more expensive to replace.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 21:46   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Tough to get everything your friend wants in a single package. I was focused on automatics but did test drive some of the manual variants of the upper end C sedans. Here is my take

Vento

Best interior quality by a wide margin.
Very good ride and handling, decent pick up and equipment levels
Acceptable rear seat knee room (I am almost 5"11 with extra long legs, and I could sit comfortably behind my driving position), but high transmission tunnel and rear AC vents make it a 4 seater.
Lots of service cribs (no personal experience though)
Terrible pre sales experience (in Bombay)

Rapid

Decent interiors but clearly low rent compared to the Vento
Steep discounts on, which increase the headline price differential to the Vento even after adding an optional leatherette seat cover and a rear camera
Ride and handling similar to Vento - noise insulation seemed poor compared to the Vento but that could have been the test drive car
Much better pre sales experience (at Autobahn Mumbai) than VW and my service experience has been decent on my Superb so far (though it is a troublesome car OT)

Verna

Fantastic equipment levels - interiors better than the Rapid but not as classy as the Vento
Not as nice to drive as the Vento
Non existent rear seat knee room - a deal breaker if you are tall or even tallish
Non responsive on pre sales - getting even a test drive was tough
Have not been happy with Hyundai's build quality based on our Getz experience - service is highly variable

City (for a MT petrol, your friend should consider this)

Decent interiors, class leading rear seat room - knee room better than the Vento and it is the only true 5 seater in this class
Fantastic and aggressive pre sales effort - clearly Honda is trying harder given the lack of a diesel
MT is very responsive (better than the Vento in my view); surprisingly, the AT was far worse than the Vento AT
My service and reliability experience on the City I had from 2004 to 2010 was very good - barring one AC failure shortly after the warranty expired

End of the day it's his call to make - all the above four at very competent vehicles.

I was going for an AT, and budget was not a constraint - hence I chose the Vento. If you book the Vento, please follow up re delivery schedules, and be flexible on colours - be prepared for a complete lack of information if you book something that is not in stock.

I would also ask him to go through the Which Diesel car thread - lots of discussion on petrols there as well

Last edited by Hayek : 19th December 2012 at 21:51.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed