Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 17:28   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: At crossroads and need advice on what portfolio of cars to own

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
You have advised a diesel hatch and suggested petrol hatches
I'd say retain the fiesta and get a budget diesel hatch. Used Figo or maybe ritz.
I think that is the ideal way forward. Replace the Ikon with a diesel hatch.
Either a LIva Diesel or Ritz VDI. Swift may be pricier as per the requirements.

Start using the diesel hatch as the daily commute. Again as every one asked, why not the Figo?
That has minimal lag and runs beautifully in the city.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 20:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
So any upgrade is going to cost you min of 4 lakh more. So why not you keep the money with yourself and repair the cars, or i will say drive the fiesta more and do not repair the ikon flair fully as you drive only 300kms in that.
I will say do not sell or buy, thats not going to help at all, Drive your 6k run fiesta which is as good as brand new for 1800 kms / month.
Driving Fiesta doesn't reduce my monthly petrol bill of 13k.
My equation is Dieslel/CNG will reduce my monthly fuel bill to 5.5k so I save 7.5k which is the EMI of a Loan of around 3.5L. Add another 80-90k i'll realise from selling the Ikon which raises my overall budget to 4.5L.
So my monthly bill stays at 13k but i have a higher value of car with good resale value

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I dont know if this answer would scare you , but have you thought of selling both the cars .
But a Diesel Punto 90 HP
After seeing two of colleagues suffering with Linea, I have no heart to even think about Punto and secondly resale is going to be big challenge. Secondly, I dont want to give up my Fiesta is its a simply amazing car to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Retain the Fiesta, sell the ikon and if budget is strictly 4L + Ikon selling price then look for factory fitted CNG as an option (Maruti has multiple options and Hyundai comes with Santro i believe).

If i was in your shoes, what i would prefer doing is (as budget is a constraint) sell the Ikon, sit on cash for sometime build up the cash reserve over next 3-6 months and then buy the car which is over your budget today but you like it over then others.
Factory fitted CNG options are not there on the mid segments like swift/etc but either on WagonR or SX4!!!!

Delaying is costing me 7.5k per month.....
I'm not short of cash at all but i want the equation to fit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
My advice is to

a) Sell off the Ikon.
b) If you have the budget for a new car, look for the SX4 CNG.
c) If not, then opt for 2nd hand Baleno or Esteem and convert it to CNG.
SX4CNG is too expensive: will prefer a Dzire then.
Converting a second hand petrol to CNG is what I'm also considering but why Not on Old Honda City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
My suggestion - sell off the Ikon, and retain the Fiesta.

Regarding old diesels, I don't think you will find a sparingly used diesel car in the pre-owned market. Most of them would have run for at least 40K-50K kms, if not more. It would make more sense to stretch your budget and get a new diesel, if that is the way to go in the end.

And if you finalise a new diesel, look no further than the Figo Titanium. It's the best compact diesel you can get for your budget, and a proven car. I rank it second only to the magnificent DDiS which powers the Swift/Dzire.

I would advise against going for any CNG kits, whether factory-fitted or from outside. They decrease the longevity of a car considerably, and come with their own set of problems.
Despite owning and loving 2 fords and having spent very little on maintenance, the resale value of Ford cars is keeping me away from Figo and leading me to Maruti Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I'd say retain the fiesta and get a budget diesel hatch. Used Figo or maybe ritz.
Does Ritz have a good resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think that is the ideal way forward. Replace the Ikon with a diesel hatch.
Either a LIva Diesel or Ritz VDI. Swift may be pricier as per the requirements.

Start using the diesel hatch as the daily commute. Again as every one asked, why not the Figo?
That has minimal lag and runs beautifully in the city.
As i said Figo's resale value is concerning me.

My thoughts as of today are:
1. Surely Retain the Fiesta
2. Go for a used Diesel Swift/Petrol Swift and convert to CNG in case price differential is very high compared to petrol. Swift due to its resale value
3. Stretch the budget by 50k and take an Old Honda City and put a CNG kit.

Are there any CNG converted Honda City owners? I'm hearing very contradictory views about converting it to CNG
Old 29th October 2011, 09:02   #18
BHPian

My advice would be to go for a decently maintained 2 year old pre owned Swift/Ritz LDi/VDi for 3 lacs.
Else you can look for a new Beat diesel or a base Figo TDCi.
Resale of these would be second to the DDiS.
Buying a used sedan for the same budget means either you will get a high mileage or an abused one or a petrol one.
I favor diesel over CNG/LPG if the running is high, simply because it is hassle free and it retains the boot space, plus no long queues .
Valkyrie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 13:33   #19
BHPian

Final Quotes:
Getting 75k for my Ikon
2007 single owner Logan Diesel in good condition with 58k on the odo for 3.25L
I'm thinking for going for this option.
any views

Note from Mod : The portfolio has been discussed, and all potential cars are well explained on various forum threads. Please search to take this further, thread closed

Last edited by GTO : 29th October 2011 at 14:30. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks