Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 11:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: To buy or not to buy a T Jet+. NOW BOUGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And that is the concern.

Sales of less than 5-10 units per month across india puts huge financial burden for sustaining an engine variant, specially when its imported- and that too in this segment where you can't charge a heavy premium for a performance variant.

And the same economies of scale is amplified in case of spare parts as well, affecting costs and availability.

Anyways, waiting for auto expo sounds the best option if heart is set on T-Jet only.
thankfully apart from engine rest all parts like brake pads, air filter, hose pipes etc which are also imported are common to punto & linea and also some parts are common to vista and manza.

so these are on the safer side.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan
@rohitm The Tsi would be pushing it. The T Jet+ itself is border line on my budget. There is just no way I can look at a Skoda even after the discounts. It is not going to be a 10 lac on the road car. Apart from this, I have read only negative things about engine longevity on a Skoda. I plan on keeping my car for some time and Fiat engines are reliable. It is the stuff around it that is not.

@Crazy Driver Thank you for the suggestions. I do love the Civic. It is just out of reach on a financial front.

Not interested in a really old Chevrolet. As a model, it is a really old car.

@amit It is good to know they are not trashing the T Jet. Are you suggesting to wait as I will get a 2012 car?
Have you looked at the Cedia ? Sane drawbacks as Linea - poor resale, so so ***, no brand value; but as good a drivers car if not better , same price and much better interiors. Check it out.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Please do a thourough PDI and if the car is good, I suggest you can go for it.
I have seen my colleague's Punto 1.4 EP which was registered 4 months after manufacturing.
Also one more colleague bought a Linea 1.4 EP which was 6 month old.
In both cases there were no rusts or other probable problems.

The linea was in a mint condition and its running without problems till now.

In the case of the Punto, it was a BS3 and also a discontinued colour (electric blue)
Because of these 2 reasons and the car was in good condition, he decided to buy it in december itself.
With all these points he got a good discounts and got the 1.4 emotion pack for almost the same rate as a 1.2 emotion

The two problems with that Punto were:
1. The passenger side seat belt lock was missing(probably the dealer had put it into another car)...This was replaced during delivery
2. The petrol release lever was also missing (he used to open the cap from the boot for a few days) which was also replaced in a month.

So to summarize it...
  1. If you are willing to wait, wait for the 2012 model.
  2. You said that you are already stretched your budget to the maximum, so If the car available now is in a good condition, bargain with the dealer and get a good deal
Whatever is your choice, you'll forget everything once you drive this petrol rocket.

All the best
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 13:07   #19
BHPian

From one T-Jet owner to a prospective one.

Don't get the T-Jet.

If you have the slightest concern over resale value. The car is already heavily discounted when new - imagine what happens if/when you want to sell it.

If you don't have money to burn on petrol bills. A FE of 8 km/l after spirited driving is not for the faint of heart or the light of pocket.

If you care about the slightest niggle in your car as if it were part of your own body. These are Italian cars. They will be a little fiddly, like everything/body Italian.

If you dread questions like 'Maruti kyon nahi liya?'

If you would rather sit in the backseat of your car, chauffered to work.

If you never take a drive to the hills or open road.

If you are a no-nonsense, common sense sort of guy, don't get the T-Jet+ It doesn't make sense.

However, if you disagree with even one of the above statements, you should get it.
cranky is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 14:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ amit_mechengg I hear ya and it does make sense. The thing is, what update is being carried out as the Linea sold in the European market has not seen any updates. I do agree on the fresh car bit and am willing to let go of that. The other problem is with Fiat India and its updates. We saw the 90Hp variant at Auto Expo and it took them forever to launch it. At the end, all we got was a 90 horse power diesel engine. No cool alloys or sticker job. In my opinion, the wait is a little too long to wait for. The other problem is I just sold my car and am car less. I do miss having a car. I can deal with it right now as my wife and 1 month old son are away. It will be difficult when they are back mid December.

Just so you know, something as small as the wiper motor is made in Germany.

@sdp1975 Not interested in a used T Jet or any other car that is used. I just went through one and though I blame myself entirely for the experience, the point being, right now, I want a new car.

@nishantgandhi When Fiat India plan on resuming T Jet production is another concern for me. It may take forever.

I will do the PDI. There is no way I am skipping this. Kinda sad that you need to on a brand new car. This must be a India only requirement.

@mile cruncher The good thing is I get a 2 year extended warranty as part of the deal. The 2 year extended warranty does cover things as small as a power window motors. I did go through the terms of the extended warranty and it is totally worth. However, at the other end of the spectrum I found something like the ignition coil not part of extended warranty.

@PG Narain The thing is the driving experience. This is not just one of the best, this is the best in the segment from a drivers point of you. I want the ultimate drivers car.

@ethan hunt123 Too old and boring if you ask me. On the interiors, I find the Linea at a different level. Like I said, the Cedia is really old now and even the interiors reflect this. It is worth buying at 6 lacs, not 10.

@hemanth anand I will do that. I totally agree with you on driving the T Jet. Driven it thrice from the dealer. Is there something called driving orgasm? This car is it.

@ cranky

I don't care about resale. This car is going to stay with me for some time to come. Money does not really come off a tree for me so....yeah.

I won't be gunning the car all the time. I have a family now. My wife understands my thrill and joy and does let me have some fun at times when I am at the wheel. This is all I want. I used to have a gas guzzler Ikon 1.6. I doubt if this car can drink as much with a light foot. I can afford to burn some gas cash every once in a while.

I had a very fiddly used Ford. I am sure a new car won't be any where as bad. But yes, I do treat my car as if it were a part of me.

For the Maruti question, I can't for the life understand how one can pay 9.4lac for a fully kitted SX4 petrol minus the body kit. Too expensive for a Suzuki. If the others don't like my choice of car, they can go to hell.

If I am not driving, there ain't no car in my garage.

My work commute allows for some speed every single day.

This is for all of you. The dreaded feeling about bad service from Fiat India is not restricted to India. The service is pathetic even in Spain and Italy. I have this information from a spainiard who is a colleague. Spare parts are a problem even in the Fiat home land.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th November 2011 at 14:40.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 15:46   #21
BHPian

The point of my post was not to discourage you

If anything, the other way around.

On discontinued cars, I have plenty of experience. I owned a Matiz (discontinued in one year) and later an Opel Corsa (discontinued in two years after I bought).

Both the cars run extremely well. The Matiz celebrates 11 years in service and still runs fine, the Opel is also running with no apparent problems.

What happens is the resale falls through the floor. I got 50k for my Matiz. Might get around the same for the Opel should I choose to sell. Which I have no reason to as of now.

Last edited by cranky : 15th November 2011 at 15:49.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:14   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Cranky's post summarises it very well. But maybe you can walk us through your thought process in identifying the TJet+ as your only option and we can help reccomend others. If you want sheer outright performance that sweet turbocharged petrol engine is probably the best you can opt for. I did a head-to-head of my Vento 1.6 petrol AT against my friend's TJet and it simply ran circles around me (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2261805) though there are some negatives that I have also pointed out,broadly in agreement with cranky's post above.

It's such a shame this car doesn't sell more numbers.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:53   #23
BHPian

In case you are still open to options, here is one that is worth it, if you don't mind the low popularity - Cedia Sports.

I found it better than Linea T-Jet and the Cedia Sports is the car for an enthusiast. See if you can get a test drive
Old 15th November 2011, 18:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

@ sandeepmohan

Just checked with a very reliable Tata Motors source. TML-FIAT JV went in for a stock correction over the last two months, hence the low Fiat numbers.

Production is not going to be stopped for any Linea variant.
Acc to the source FIAT is "waking-up" and plans are afoot for some aggressive selling! Let's see how true that is!

Punto stocks are being cleared for the facelift which is rolling in shortly. Also the source has confirmed that exclusive FIAT dealerships will soon be opened in all major metro cities and state capitals. The exisiting dealers will first be given an opportunity to look for a separate place dedicated to FIAT. If they are not willing, then an entirely new dealership will be setup.

So you can safely go ahead with the Jet. They are giving some fantastic offers too. I am also tempted but the piggy bank is not permitting! Some day...some day...
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 19:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

@cranky I just discovered we have a common friend. Mr. Soumyajit and I are colleagues.

Your comment was a good one. None of it was a discouragement. It was very precise.

@noopster I had never planned on a new car. Was quite happy with my 11 year old used Ford. Besides; I had spent far too much on it to even think of selling it. Over a lac to be precise. As a part of the Fiat purchase, I just sold the car. A colleague who drives a Fiat GP 1.2 was hell bent that I drive the T Jet and called for it to our work spot. This changed everything. I was simply blown away by the car in all areas. It was a spot on decision to buy this car after the test drive and I started saving up for a decent down payment. I did look at my options. I did consider the VW Vento but it just does not have the engine that the Fiat does. It is not kitted anywhere as good. It maybe the wrong approach or a one off case, a friend who owns the Vento 1.6 told me to stay away from it as he had a nightmare of an experience with the after sales service with his brand new VW. The Honda City was next. It does not steer nor does it have the handling of the Fiat. The New Ford Fiesta was ruled out after I checked out the car. I did not drive it. If you can call some of the plastics on a Tata Fiat cheap, the new Fiesta is a lot worse in some areas. Suzuki SX4, it is no enthusiast car. The Cedia and Optra are too old to even consider.

The Fiat Linea T Jet+ as a package is now fantastic value for money. In my books, this is a well made car. There are some cheap bits but it is not everywhere. At the end, it does manage to retain the solid build of the older generation Fiats. The car is still built like a tank. Fiat have never had it this good in India. The Tata tie up has helped.

I read your comparison thread too. I did not find the reach to the stereo or the power windows to be a concern. I did not try the dead pedal. The T Jet's brakes are fantastic. The long throw clutch and rubbery gear shift is a problem. As for fuel efficiency, I believe you can extract more. You must remember it is a 1400cc block. The trouble with the Fiat is that turbo making you want to rev the engine each time.

@arjab I would like to know if it makes any sense in waiting for a 2012 built car. I can wait but not for long. The question is when will Fiat resume production of the T Jet? I doubt if they will start in January and even if they did it is going to take up to mid February for me to get the car. This is a long wait.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 19:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
@arjab I would like to know if it makes any sense in waiting for a 2012 built car. I can wait but not for long. The question is when will Fiat resume production of the T Jet? I doubt if they will start in January and even if they did it is going to take up to mid February for me to get the car. This is a long wait.
I don't think there will be any mechanical difference in 2012 cars.
To be very honest Sandeep, a 6 month old dealer stockyard inhabitant is unlikely to have issues.
Check all the rubber bits for signs of hardening (water drip marks inside the cabin etc).
Ask the dealer to change the engine oil, coolant and brake fluid (coz brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs water) gratis
Check electricals and the car should be fine.
A friend of mine recently bought a petrol Manza (8 month stockyard vintage) and is facing no problems. I presume FIAT's should hold together better!

You can also ask Mr Saumitra Prakash at Tata Motors's Bangalore office. He's the FIAT Territory Manager. sorry...don't have the contact details !
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 19:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would stay away from Fiat for the simple reason, i am not sure how healthy the parts supply would be. Buying a close to discontinued product from a company which is otherwise healthy in India is different from buying a soon to be discontinued product from a manufacturer which might fold up or may revisit its operations in India is a different thing altogether.

I have owned Baleno (Which was discontinued soon after we bought) but till date all the critical parts are available maybe after some delay, not sure what would happen if they are not available at all.
Old 15th November 2011, 19:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I would stay away from Fiat for the simple reason, i am not sure how healthy the parts supply would be. Buying a close to discontinued product from a company which is otherwise healthy in India is different from buying a soon to be discontinued product from a manufacturer which might fold up or may revisit its operations in India is a different thing altogether.

I have owned Baleno (Which was discontinued soon after we bought) but till date all the critical parts are available maybe after some delay, not sure what would happen if they are not available at all.
which product is discontinued? there is not fiat product that is going to be discontinued.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Gentlemen....I have waited long, saved hard and am now ready to buy the car I love the most. A Fiat Linea T Jet+.
I will answer this question from a pure philosophical point of view.
Unfortunately we all live as if we are going to live forever.
We have to realize that our time is limited and is running out.

Help yourself to the best dishes which have been spread out in this buffet of life.

I did so. And i do not regret it.
(In case you do not know I bought a Punto MJD in-spite of everyone blasting me for it.)
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 23:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

@Sandeep Mohan: Heart says Fiat, I'd say listen to your head. Fiat may or may not be here same time next year the way they are selling. Last month they sold close to 700 units most of them Punto and diesels. A** would be a problem and so would be niggling issues in a car lying in a yard for 6 months. I'd say buy, even if the brand is half as reliable as Maruti, which it isn't.

Most Viewed