Old 12th March 2006, 15:58   #1
BHPian

Esteem or Ikon Flair

Hai all,

I have plans for a new car, i presently own a santro

My budget is 5 to 5.5

Ford ikon flair comes for a good package. But my worries are its maintenance
my usage will be 500 to 600 Km per month.My friends suggested Esteem
but iam not really happy with its looks and i heard ikon is much stable than esteem.

Please suggest me a car.If my choice are not good suggest me an alternative
Old 12th March 2006, 16:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

In 5 to 5.5 I suggest you rather consider the Swift or Getz which are premium hatches than a small c segment car. Unless you need the boot. As both Esteem and Ikon are dated, of the two, Esteem has low cost of ownership, cheaper spares, better FE but is more dated of the two. I having personally owning an Esteem and Swift, suggest you go for Swift, as its more stable at high speeds, and much more revving and smoother. On top has better interiors and exteriors. However if you must go with Esteem or Ikon, than I suggest if going for Esteem, than please upsize yor tyres.
Old 12th March 2006, 16:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum venkatesh.
Please provide more details as of what you expect from the car like FE, performance,reliability, handling etc.
Old 12th March 2006, 17:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_t3
My budget is 5 to 5.5
Ford ikon flair comes for a good package. But my worries are its maintenance
my usage will be 500 to 600 Km per month.
hello,
imho, ikon flair is still a much better buy than esteem.
no doubt esteems wins hands down in service deptt., but flair is also not far behind!
recently, flair has been blessed with lots of features from SXi model, like foglamps, front bumper, etc.
ikon's rear seat is much more comfier than esteem's. FE is also not bad, considering your 5-600 km run p.m.
maintenance is a bit costlier than esteem, but not much.

but still flair will give more comfortable ride and nicer driving position and easier entry and exit into car.

if you are not into an enthusiast's league, who tries to emulate rally drivers on city roads, then flair is a gud buy for you. but if you really into such a league, then don't look elsewhere, go for esteem!

if going for flair, bargain hard, real hard, and you can snatch some gud discounts from the dealer. also try to encash every freebie they are offering to you. you can get that freebie at much more economical rates from local market.

reagarding alternatives, i won't suggest you to go for Swift and Getz.
since you owns a santro, both of these are not much different from it, be it interiors or size, or the performance. they are better no doubt, but not much.
if you can stretch a bit more, Fiesta can be a gud alternative for you.
or if you can wait for sometime, Chevy's cars are also expected very soon.
Old 12th March 2006, 18:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

can you stretch the budget and try Fiesta 1.4
Old 12th March 2006, 18:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
since you owns a santro, both of these are not much different from it, be it interiors or size, or the performance. they are better no doubt, but not much.

How can you compare Santro with Swift/Getz ? Swift/Getz are better than Santro in ALL aspects, and BY MILES! Infact, these belong to different segments.

Please dont go "fida" on Hyundai Ads.. they have the habit of cracking poor jokes...

Santro is a great car in itself, and it competes with WagonR/Zen/Indica .. not Swift!!

And if you want detailed explanation on that, do let me know..

Last edited by DCEite : 12th March 2006 at 18:44.
Old 12th March 2006, 18:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello,

Dude Swift feels quicker than even an Esteem, it has shorter gearing and higher top end, and even with a mod Esteem engine, feels more refined than Esteem. Plus with higher profile tyres, and more weight, the car inspires so much more confidence into turns than Esteem. In performance terms, it will blow Flair away, which imo is underpowered for its weight and size.
Interiors cant be compared to Santro. Swifts front seat comfort is much better than Esteem, and its much wider and safer than cramped Santro!
Old 12th March 2006, 21:58   #8
BHPian

santro cant be compared to Swift & getz.Juz look at their sizes.
lxbxh in mm

Santro 3565x1425x1589
Swift 3695x1690x1550
Getz 3810x1665x1514

Also look @ ikon & estemm
Ikon 4140x1634x1378
Esteem 4090x1575x1395

All figure from overdrive mag.we can see that swift & getz dimensions are better than even the ikon.
I would suggest going for swift zxi as its very safe , more fe, glamorous looks,superb driving dynamics.....& price.Do take a test drive of all these vehicles to know the difference
Old 12th March 2006, 23:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

One question guys.... we all keep on talking abt performance and fuel average... but what abt safety... what abt teh big car feel?
Esteem today is the worst three box car that you can buy in the country.. (no offences to anyone)... even a santro feels more solid and silent on the insides than esteem. The rear seat is cramped, its not even as safe as tin box, the plastics and the general quality inside feels cheap, its got good performance only bcoz of its feather light build. Ikon flair on the other hand is a much much nicer car... the engine is very responsive for a 70 bhp car, infact in city u will never ever feel the lack of power, even with four people on board and AC running at full blast. Even the fuel average isnt bad, somwhere 12-14kmpl in city.
Esteem is long in the tooth now.... Go for Flair if u want a three box car else have a look at the new modern hatchbacks, Getz, Swift or Palio.
Old 13th March 2006, 01:06   #10
BHPian

One of my neighbours have a ikon flair & he says he gets an avg of abt 9-11 kmpl in city( ours is not tht crowded one) & in highway around 15 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
One question guys.... we all keep on talking abt performance and fuel average... but what abt safety... what abt teh big car feel?
Esteem today is the worst three box car that you can buy in the country.. (no offences to anyone)... even a santro feels more solid and silent on the insides than esteem. The rear seat is cramped, its not even as safe as tin box, the plastics and the general quality inside feels cheap, its got good performance only bcoz of its feather light build. Ikon flair on the other hand is a much much nicer car... the engine is very responsive for a 70 bhp car, infact in city u will never ever feel the lack of power, even with four people on board and AC running at full blast. Even the fuel average isnt bad, somwhere 12-14kmpl in city.
Esteem is long in the tooth now.... Go for Flair if u want a three box car else have a look at the new modern hatchbacks, Getz, Swift or Palio.
Old 13th March 2006, 01:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Ikon flair does feel underpowered. I test drove flair and found it sluggish.
Old 13th March 2006, 02:32   #12
BHPian

ikon has alot of power.. but im not sure wether it's a stable car o not!
ive seen sum rili bad accidents in it.. E.g. tht worli sea face accident 2 years back..
Old 13th March 2006, 06:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Ikon Flair, to stand out from the crowd.

Every tom dick and harry seems to have an old Esteem or a 1000.
Old 13th March 2006, 09:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
these cars are no doubt bigger and better than santro, but not by a very good margin.
when a person replaces his car, he wants to take a look on every aspect, be it external size, engine performance, etc.
and in this very regard, i suggested that santro is also quite similar to other "+B Segment" cars.
whereas Esteem and flair are very much more appealing to a person who is upgrading from a small car to something bigger!

i suggest venketesh to take a test drive of all cars for sevaral times at different dealers and then decide.
Old 13th March 2006, 09:48   #15
BHPian

also take a look at the accent GLE - if you are happy with the ASS + maintenance of hyundai, then a second car from the same stable should be good

Most Viewed