Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 00:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's a win-win situation. How about keeping the Mondeo for another 2 years, and then swapping it for a pre-worshipped Laura 1.8 TSI? You can bet that virgin Laura 1.8 TSIs can be had for 6 - 7 lakh rupees in 2013.

Plus, the Mondeo won't lose anything in resale in the two years. Talk of having your cake and eating it too.
Mondeo is too good a car for a cheap resale. Just back from a spirited drive around bangalore. Get the clutch replaced, clean the injectors and I have the fast handsome handler in a more desirable form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Unless it's becoming bothersome maintaining your mondeo (frequent niggles, availability of parts etc.), keep the mondeo. If I were in your place, I would spend another lakh or so in sprucing it up, maybe a few performance mods and keep the mondeo for a couple of years and then trade it for a used TSI when maintaining the mondeo becomes a problem.
For now there is no difficulty. Parts are never stocked. But availability has never been a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Presume your Mondeo is at least 5 years old. Personally, I think it makes sense to change cars when they are around 6, as they do start getting very troublesome after that. Buying new versus pre owned is a matter of perspective and affordability. My first car was a pre owned Zen which I kept for 7 years more, but maintenance costs on a simple carburettor based car were not material, a Mondeo or a Laura is a different kettle of fish. Plus you run into the classic lemon problem unless you can find a known car like Swanand did with his Superb (or I did with my Zen for that matter).

So my recommendation is this - if your car is 4 or 5, keep it for a couple of years more; but if it is pushing 6, replace it now.
sounds logical. except that Iam unable to sell any of my cars. Not able to give them away. But I get your pov.

@lambo
Have test driven the Linea Tjet and it is a good handling car. Funny how one develops a fascination for some car (TSI in this case) even when there are other capable contenders around. Absolute speed is of no great interest and I agree with you that it is a very good package.

Last edited by megazoid : 7th December 2011 at 00:29.
Old 7th December 2011, 04:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
close to 95K on the odo. But the engine is sweet and revs like it was born yesterday. The mondeo is running a set of 4 new dampers.
95 is the kind of milage that would spur me to go ahead and replace the car, but you see this based on a Suzuki ownership experience. I can see that Mondeo had been built strong and surely all engines these days don't need any attention till 1.5L-2L Kms.

Either way the call would be a good call, it all depends on your comfort factor. If you feel engine is as good as new and don't seem to have any other problems then its better to keep it for some more time.
Old 7th December 2011, 09:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

How can you even think of selling the Mondeo? A direct injection petrol engine is more of a delight than a turbo. Spend on it a bit. Just don't let this go.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 09:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
A basic Laura 1.8 TSi cannot keep you happy after your Mondeo, period!

If you are open to pre-owned, consider an Octavia vRS (or even a TPi that can be sprused up) else a Cedia in Sports trim and dump a MIVEC or run to Red Rooster Performance!
+1
Totally agree with Airwind. Mondeo is known for its sheer comfort and diving pleasure, which you would not get in basic Laura. You would need to upgrade it.

On second thoughts, your Mondeo has got old and with time it would get older. Plus after selling it later your would get next to nothing and it would require more running cost and repairs later on. Who knows that 1 year from now Mondeo spares are available or not.
Old 7th December 2011, 09:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the majority opinion here. Retain the Mondeo, refurbish it and give it a mid life makeover, whether cosmetically or performance mod wise. Sell it only once you are bored by it (if that ever happens that is). I suppose owning the Mondeo, you are already used to the presumably high maintenance costs, so that should not be a significant problem.

At that time, pick up a good deal in the used car market.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I agree with the majority opinion here. Retain the Mondeo, refurbish it and give it a mid life makeover, whether cosmetically or performance mod wise. Sell it only once you are bored by it (if that ever happens that is). I suppose owning the Mondeo, you are already used to the presumably high maintenance costs, so that should not be a significant problem.

At that time, pick up a good deal in the used car market.
Nice suggestion. This is what I think I will most likely do. I dont mind spending reasonable dough on cars. Have already replaced the fuel pump and suspensions on the car. Once the clutch is also done, I pretty much have a new car with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How can you even think of selling the Mondeo? A direct injection petrol engine is more of a delight than a turbo. Spend on it a bit. Just don't let this go.
yes sir. Thinking of retaining the mondeo only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
+1
Totally agree with Airwind. Mondeo is known for its sheer comfort and diving pleasure, which you would not get in basic Laura. You would need to upgrade it.

On second thoughts, your Mondeo has got old and with time it would get older. Plus after selling it later your would get next to nothing and it would require more running cost and repairs later on. Who knows that 1 year from now Mondeo spares are available or not.
Driving pleasure is the highlight and on a fast smooth curvy highway, the poise and speed
are fantastic. Spares have not been a problem so far and even though expensive, it wont be as much as spending on a new car anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
95 is the kind of milage that would spur me to go ahead and replace the car, but you see this based on a Suzuki ownership experience. I can see that Mondeo had been built strong and surely all engines these days don't need any attention till 1.5L-2L Kms.

Either way the call would be a good call, it all depends on your comfort factor. If you feel engine is as good as new and don't seem to have any other problems then its better to keep it for some more time.
A mondeo is easily capable of clocking 3L kms in a healthy state. If the engine has been looked after well (which is the case with my example), very little is going against holding the car.

I guess the general feeling is that I should hold onto the mondeo and let it go after extracting every bit of juice out of it. Am going to cancel the TSI booking and go for a new clutch then. Like the way you folks pushed me into a corner that I already liked. Thanks.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 11:49   #22
BHPian

+1.
I'm with everyone else here Megazoid. The mondeo is one of the greatest cars ever built. Spend a little money on it, get it fully restored, a new paint job perhaps. The picture you gave us the link of had a white colored bumper?
IMO, Keep the Mondeo, it will keep you happy for a good 2-3 years.
Cancel the booking of the TSI Asap. and keep us updated on your decision and further work on the Mondeo.

Last edited by DeKay : 7th December 2011 at 11:50.
Old 7th December 2011, 13:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
+1.
I'm with everyone else here Megazoid. The mondeo is one of the greatest cars ever built. Spend a little money on it, get it fully restored, a new paint job perhaps. The picture you gave us the link of had a white colored bumper?
IMO, Keep the Mondeo, it will keep you happy for a good 2-3 years.
Cancel the booking of the TSI Asap. and keep us updated on your decision and further work on the Mondeo.
One fine day as I was driving to coorg on mysore road, a dog ran across the road hit the front bumper and died. I got a new bumper but did not wait for the colour to be matched as that meant I would have had to keep the car at the workshop. So, running the white color itself. By the way..that costed me a cool 22k or so.
Old 7th December 2011, 14:56   #24
BHPian

I used to own a Mondeo - Petrol, a while back.

Fantastic car to drive, handling was better than the Merc "C" and "E" class at that time.

Get yourself a 'Sachs - street suspension kit'. This will lower the height of the car; but will do wonders on the handling and overall stance.

You can also do mild mods like 'Air Filter', chipping (Superchips) and a sports Exhaust.

Cheers !
Old 7th December 2011, 15:02   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is the Mondeo direct injection? BTW the Tsi is direct injection + turbo.
Old 7th December 2011, 15:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't the Mondeo a segment higher than the Laura? I remember this car being really out of reach around the time my friends and I started buying our first cars- didn't really bother checking by how much!

I sincerely feel a well-maintained and spruced up Mondeo would have much more cachet than a dime-a-dozen Skoda (no offence to Laura TSI owners). A new car is always a big outlay and the financial benefots of hanging on to a good car rather than buy new is always tempting. Am in a similar situation since my second car is a 5 year old Swift: any thoughts of upgrading to a diesel hatch or SUV are quickly dismissed because (a). I love this car; (b). It does not *feel* old- plenty of juice left in it; (c). I have put in a lot of cool stuff into it and won't realise the value of any of it if I sell now!
Old 7th December 2011, 16:27   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Isn't the Mondeo a segment higher than the Laura? I remember this car being really out of reach around the time my friends and I started buying our first cars- didn't really bother checking by how much!
Good point. Yes, the Mondeo is a D-segment car, and if alive now (in India), would have been competing with the likes of Passat, Superb etc.

I mean, if its in good condition, and has not yet become a white elephant, no harm in continuing with it. It did not sell much, but no one has anything bad to say about the car
Old 7th December 2011, 17:08   #28
BHPian

Okay not that it is related, read my thread on my newly acquired Sep 2011 TSi. You will at least get to know more about the car if not anything else.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...my-fiesta.html

Mondeo is an amazing car though, if it is in good condition keep it.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 7th December 2011 at 17:12.
Old 7th December 2011, 18:10   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

You seem pretty attached to your cars. That seems reason enough to keep holding on to the Mondeo. You appear ready to bear the higher maintenance cost(which would have been high till date,i guess). Even the high maintenance cost can never just the cost of a new Laura TSi.
I feel,sometimes, heart should also win over the head.

PS:Why not spend some dough and give a makeover to your Mondeo? The new car look combined with the new car feel(which is already there) will make you ignore any other new car.
Old 7th December 2011, 21:37   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Is the Mondeo direct injection?
Hi!

Managed to pull out exactly a 10 year old copy of ACI, have scanned it & putting it up.

Please download & zoom in if the picture is small Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?-scan0001.jpg

This thread helps you see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-counting.html

Last edited by Sheel : 7th December 2011 at 21:38.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks