Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy NOW?
Baleno 98 60.49%
Ford Fiesta 1.6 64 39.51%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2006, 11:16   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Did I ever say that Fiesta will be a dream machine? Kindly qoute me.
When you say "I am sure if we had better machines available, or if we had more money, than Baleno wont even figure in our debates or discussions.", it implies that Fiesta would still figure in the debate. That was what I sought to counter by my "dream machine" post.

Quote:
I know this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but SB since day 1 you have a tendency to jump on everyone who says a word about Baleno.
Tbhp provides a feature to search for all threads by a user and anyone using that feature can know that your allegation is untrue. Ofcourse, I have argued for the Baleno when someone tried to misrepresent facts - but that is what I guess this forum is for. And I have also been the first to accept the few failings (if you can call average looks that) that it has.

Quote:
You have been warn by mods many times, your posts have been deleted, however you still continue to show arrogance and show attitude to people who dont agree with you.
Here you go again. I have not been warned by mods "many times" as you say. One of my posts did get deleted for "personal attack on a tbhpian". I would not like to comment on the mod's decision. But, when I am accusing someone of being biased against a car and resorting to below-the-belt tactics to defame that car, I assumed that I would have to list out some proof in defence of that accusation. So, I listed proof which still remains in the BHP Garage of certain Baleno owners as comments like "The only good thing about this car is the wheels", "Clever photography makes even the worst looking car in India look OK!". This unfortunately got flagged as a personal attack, while I was just quoting the comments verbatim.

Quote:
Coming back to the topic, I think its safe to say this poll concludes that being a VFM car, and after heavy discounting Baleno seems to be the favorite in this segment which is seeing a series of launches this year.
"Seems to be ....". As if it was not clear enough.

Quote:
How long it continues to do so without a serious upgrade by MUL is to be seen.
The poll is about the present. Let's leave tackling the future to MUL.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th April 2006 at 11:24.
Old 12th April 2006, 11:34   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The poll is about the present. Let's leave tackling the future to MUL.
I think we should have another round of polling if and when the Baleno is upgraded by MUL... Dunno how many will vote for Fiesta then
Old 12th April 2006, 11:48   #288
BHPian

Hey, how about a Fiesta 1.6 vs the Aveo 1.6 (is it 1.6 or 1.5?) with the Baleno playing as the benchmark? This is coz most of us are either owners of the Baleno or have driven it.

I, for one, am quite happy with most aspects of my Baleno but would love to get a proper feedback of the two modern cars as compared to mine. Reading the comparisons in the magazines just don't seem to be as good as the discussions in this forum.

what say, guys?
Old 12th April 2006, 12:03   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Hey, how about a Fiesta 1.6 vs the Aveo 1.6 (is it 1.6 or 1.5?) with the Baleno playing as the benchmark? This is coz most of us are either owners of the Baleno or have driven it.

I, for one, am quite happy with most aspects of my Baleno but would love to get a proper feedback of the two modern cars as compared to mine. Reading the comparisons in the magazines just don't seem to be as good as the discussions in this forum.

what say, guys?
Hi Dragon, I compare NHC/Baleno/Fiesta 1.6/Accent before buying Baleno and recently test drove Aveo 1.4.

Aspects I liked about Baleno which made me buy it were
1. Amazing seating comfort
2. The fasteset cooling AC (Climate control was an added advantage)
3. Great suspension
4. Tall gearing

Likes about Fiesta
1. Exterirors Looks great
2. Interiors are far better than Baleno

Likes about Aveo
1. Great Ground clearance (wow!)
2. Power and handling
3. Great suspension
4. Beautiful interiors (but less impressive than NHC beige)
Old 12th April 2006, 12:35   #290
BHPian

Hey Thanks for the prompt reply. What about the actual exterior size. I was looking at the Aveo yesterday and it looked smaller than my Baleno but on reading the specs in various mags I found the Aveo to be longer, broader as well as higher than the Baleno.

Could it be looking compact because of it's design or is it actually smaller?

Also, how does the Aveo and the Fiesta feel on spirited driving as compared to the Baleno? Handling, Ride, Build quality, Interior space etc. etc???/
Old 12th April 2006, 12:59   #291
BHPian

Dragon,

Like Venkat, I too just went through this search. Agree with all he said. If you are not 6 ft +, it could be a close call b/w Aveo 1.6 and Baleno.

Rankings are
1 Baleno + Aveao 1.6
2 Fiesta 1.6

B/w Baleno and Aveo - you put your "personal" variables like price (VFM), A.S.S, GM vs Suzuki reliability etc - and you have your decision.
Old 12th April 2006, 13:43   #292
BHPian

i do not think the aveo can compete with the baleno or fiesta in terms of outright perfomance. baleno is no1 in that respect,by a small margin over the fiesta , but by a significant margin,i believe, over the aveo.

despite the ad campaign, 'performance' is not the aveo's(atleast the 1.6) strength. total VFM is good

Last edited by Fiero : 12th April 2006 at 13:47.
Old 12th April 2006, 13:56   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
What about the actual exterior size.
Could it be looking compact because of it's design or is it actually smaller?
Aveo is tall, hence the illusion that its smaller. The specs speak for themselves.
Quote:
Also, how does the Aveo and the Fiesta feel on spirited driving as compared to the Baleno? Handling, Ride, Build quality, Interior space etc. etc???/
Handling : Baleno and Aveo both are excellent. Feista is good.
Visibility : Baleno and Fiesta are good. Aveo close-front visibility is hampered because of its height and seating position. Rear visibility is OK in all of them. [NHC/Swift/Getz are bad in this]
Ride : Baleno and Aveo are excellent. Fiesta is OK.
Build Quality : Fiesta is great. Aveo seems pretty good. Baleno no no.
Interior space : Aveo is the best, next is Baleno.
Comfort : Baleno is the most comfortable. Fiesta and Aveo, even though them are very spacious you dont feel comfortable[I dont know is it just me having this feeling or anyone also felt this]

Minor things :
Aveo engine makes strange noise as compared to any other car.
Aveo, gear shift knob is like a golf ball and pretty good to hold, but the gear shift stick seems little tall and little ackwardly placed.
Aveo, they have given a 'reverse gear lock' seems an intelligent safety feature, i.e you can't shift to reverse gear by mistake.
Aveo the inside door hanles looks great, but the designer forgot the comfort and hence this results in uncomfortable handrest.
Baleno : I find it difficult to find the controls like 'central locking','powered windows' buttons etc in the dark. Guys give some light up indicator so that they are visible in dark.
Baleno : You cannot fully close the AC vents, damn it.
Baleno : Plastics used all over is very cheap(Amby and Premier padmini used to feel better inside).
Aveo,Fiesta : Guys manufacture cars for india. When will you guys shift the 'indicator', 'wash/wiper' controls to the right places.
Fiesta: The brakes were not smooth as in Aveo and Baleno.

Last edited by venkatrx : 12th April 2006 at 14:00.
Old 12th April 2006, 14:41   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero
exactly why i brought up the price advantage of the baleno to make it clear it is the 'better package' which does not translate to 'better car'
Fiero, just to understand it, how would you define "better car" ? Taking the two cars in this poll itself, how would you decide that one of them is the better car ? Asking this because just like any other product, a car is a bundle of attributes (price, power, FE, comfort, FTD, handling, looks, interiors, newness-to-market, snob value, seating, segment etc) with the relative importance of these attributes varying from person to person.
One of the cars being more powerful will not automatically make it a better car - it ONLY happens to be the powerful car of the two. Same goes for the other attributes. No car can satisfy all customers and also, it is tough for any car to be the best in all parameters. So, for a customer, isn't the better car the one that overall satisfies his requirements - the important attributes satisfied more and some compromise on the other attributes ?
Old 12th April 2006, 15:08   #295
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Aseem , suman and all the other fiesta fans or owners ..

Would u care to explain what do u mean by a " better car/engine " ??? I can see very well that none of u care to answer to this inspite of me having asked the question twice already .. Is this because u have no answer or did u actually skip thru my post ??

And , suman i did TD the car for around 45 mins .. I wanted to clock atleast 50+ kms on every car before i decide to choose upon one for my aunt .. Well it did come to me as a surprise listening to this :

Quote:
3rd gear to 4th gear, at 35, 1600rpm on tacho till changeover then down to 1200 rpm, no gasp
4th gear, pick up speed from 35-40kmph, 1200 rpm on tacho - no gasp, smooth pickup
just for the heck of it, 4th to 5th in 45, down to 1100 or so (below first mark on tacho past 1000 rpm), pick up albeit slowly but smoothly, no gasp,
down to 40kmph between 1000 & 1100 rpm and then pick up, no gasp but effort definitely required..... then I decide "what the hell, why 5th gear for proving anything at below 50 kmph anyway".
Well shall make it a point to have another TD and get back with my views ..
Old 12th April 2006, 15:16   #296
Team-BHP Support

Enough for krisssakes!!

Just state your opinion and leave it at that! Someone may like the Baleno, while someone else may like the Fiesta. Hell, someone out there may pick an Amby over these two cars! To each his own.
Old 12th April 2006, 15:41   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Enough for krisssakes!!

Just state your opinion and leave it at that! Someone may like the Baleno, while someone else may like the Fiesta. Hell, someone out there may pick an Amby over these two cars! To each his own.
Angry young M....Moderator!
Old 12th April 2006, 17:42   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Enough for krisssakes!!
Moderator Priviledge??

Last edited by Buffetfan : 12th April 2006 at 17:51.
Old 12th April 2006, 18:34   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Moderator Priviledge??
Here is one more privilege...

The Mod team has decided that this thread has reached its logical end, whatever that could be discussed, has been discussed. This thread will now RIP.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks