Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2019, 16:30   #151
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Hey, I have come across a 2010 model Laura TSI around my area. This car has clocked around 1.1lakh KMs. I've checked the car and it looked pretty well maintained for the mileage it has been used for. The dealer says this is a single owner car with full service history available. The car didn't have any untoward sounds or squeaks and looked pretty solid. I'll have to however get seat-covers and insurance. The tyres and battery are new. The final price I could get them down to is 3.65 Lakhs. I have a few questions :
1) Is it a good idea to buy a 9 year old Laura TSI with mileage in the range of 1.1lakh?
2) What points should I check before I take the plunge?
3) What would be the cost of upkeep? For general service? And I believe the 1.2lakh service is going to be a major one. What would be the expected cost and what parts should be replaced?
4) Ideally, when should I change the timing chain kit (pulleys, chains and waterpump etc) ?
5) Is the clutch soft or hard in comparison to an Mk1 Octavia TDI? I found that the travel was pretty long but the car was absolutely fine even when i was changing the gears with half press. Is this normal? It looked pretty soft when I took the TD but it could be because the previous owner got it changed recently.

Thanks in advance for reading through a query this long.
Old 5th February 2019, 16:43   #152
Team-BHP Support

Don't get scared by the mileage especially if it has been used for highway driving.

The TSI engine has a chain so it should be okay if regular oil changes have happened. Chains need replacement at around 200k
Check the air-conditioning effectiveness
Clutch - Put the car in 4th gear and start from rest - it should stall.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 17:02   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Is it a good idea to buy a 9 year old Laura TSI with mileage in the range of 1.1lakh?
Buying a new Skoda is a hit or miss; imagine one with 1.1 L kms on the odo and almost 10 years old. No one knows how many people have driven it and how. If I were you, I'd probably take one if given free and with a free maintenance package Sometimes our brains block out sounds that heart doesn't want to hear! I'd say stay away.
Old 5th February 2019, 17:06   #154
Senior - BHPian

In addition to what Ajmat has suggested, you might want to go through this link:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4219883 (Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread)
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 17:15   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Don't get scared by the mileage especially if it has been used for highway driving.

The TSI engine has a chain so it should be okay if regular oil changes have happened. Chains need replacement at around 200k
Check the air-conditioning effectiveness
Clutch - Put the car in 4th gear and start from rest - it should stall.

The dealer says the car was bought in Chennai but was transferred to Hyderabad after the owner shifted here. According to him, he paid the full road tax and got a TS (Telangana) number. I'm not sure if this car was used for highway purposes. The nature of use by the previous owner wasn't specified by the dealer. But he says the car was maintained at showroom during it's life so far. I can say I have fairly enough experience in cars to tell this car's basic mechanicals are good. By basic mechanicals, I mean the pickup, brakes and clutch. Suspension looked okay to me if not too great. I didn't really check the suspension. But I don't remember any sounds as well. The AC looked fine to me. How can one tell if the AC is bad or needs looking up to? I'm planning on taking it to the Skoda AS* to get it checked before I take the plunge. My garage now consists of a 2018 Vento TSI and a 2004 Octavia TDI. I'm considering this car to be used around 1500kms a month. Looking for a reliable car. I've been using the Vento TSI for my highway stints thus far. Looking to change that and maybe use this Laura TSI as my daily driver for a few months. And about the clutch, did you mean I have to take off in the 4th gear and see if it stalls? If it does, does it imply that the clutch is fine? Or that the clutch has given up?
Also, are there any sounds that can indicate any future issues (Any issue in general) in this car?
Old 19th February 2019, 12:35   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer says the car was bought in Chennai but was transferred to Hyderabad after the owner shifted here. According to him, he paid the full road tax and got a TS (Telangana) number. I'm not sure if this car was used for highway purposes. The nature of use by the previous owner wasn't specified by the dealer. But he says the car was maintained at showroom during it's life so far. I can say I have fairly enough experience in cars to tell this car's basic mechanicals are good. By basic mechanicals, I mean the pickup, brakes and clutch. Suspension looked okay to me if not too great. I didn't really check the suspension. But I don't remember any sounds as well. The AC looked fine to me. How can one tell if the AC is bad or needs looking up to? I'm planning on taking it to the Skoda AS* to get it checked before I take the plunge. My garage now consists of a 2018 Vento TSI and a 2004 Octavia TDI. I'm considering this car to be used around 1500kms a month. Looking for a reliable car. I've been using the Vento TSI for my highway stints thus far. Looking to change that and maybe use this Laura TSI as my daily driver for a few months. And about the clutch, did you mean I have to take off in the 4th gear and see if it stalls? If it does, does it imply that the clutch is fine? Or that the clutch has given up?
Also, are there any sounds that can indicate any future issues (Any issue in general) in this car?
So did you get the car or not? I too recently got a Laura TSI which is detailed out here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4546979 (Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread)

Mind you, this is my 2nd Skoda after the Octavia 1.8T which I bought 10.5 Yrs old and had a faily peaceful 3 yrs of ownership. If the service history is clean (Skoda ASC will have the details) and if you feel right, you should pick it. However, I must say the price is very high. Check OLX for Laura TSI rates in Mumbai to get some benchmarking. Also Hyderabad is a diesel market so petrols don't have much resale. So negotiate hard.
Old 19th February 2019, 12:42   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
So did you get the car or not? I too recently got a Laura TSI which is detailed out here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4546979 (Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread)

Mind you, this is my 2nd Skoda after the Octavia 1.8T which I bought 10.5 Yrs old and had a faily peaceful 3 yrs of ownership. If the service history is clean (Skoda ASC will have the details) and if you feel right, you should pick it. However, I must say the price is very high. Check OLX for Laura TSI rates in Mumbai to get some benchmarking. Also Hyderabad is a diesel market so petrols don't have much resale. So negotiate hard.
I haven't bought the car yet. I wanted to finalize but somehow an issue related to the AC cropped up. Surprisingly the corner vents are blowing more air than the center vents.
Still having two minds on this because of the mileage. Not in a rush to get another car. So waiting for a good car.
About the price, I could get him down to 3.4lakhs.
You are right, Hyderabad is a diesel market. Hence banking on that to keep this car on hold.
Old 6th March 2019, 20:12   #158
BHPian

Does anybody know when the Laura's engine changed from PD to CR? I know it happened sometime before the third quarter of 2010. I wanted to know the month.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th March 2019, 19:26   #159
BHPian

This was changed during the 2009 facelift. Laura got the 2.0 TDi in place of the 1.9 Pumpe Duesse. The 2.0 is definitely a better engine.
Old 11th March 2019, 20:00   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't bought the car yet. I wanted to finalize but somehow an issue related to the AC cropped up. Surprisingly the corner vents are blowing more air than the center vents.
Still having two minds on this because of the mileage. Not in a rush to get another car. So waiting for a good car.
About the price, I could get him down to 3.4lakhs.
You are right, Hyderabad is a diesel market. Hence banking on that to keep this car on hold.
2009 to 2011 18 Tsi engines all over the world had issues with Timing Chain tensioner failing leading to catastrophic engine damage. If you buy the car make sure you get that changed with the latest part no. There were 2 changes to part and the last was was considered stable. Skoda quotes 81k for the change, but you can do it for 20k outside. The particular part is just 3.5k, but since you are opening up, it's better to change all 3 tensioners, chains, guide rails, etc.
Altocumulus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 06:49   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
2009 to 2011 18 Tsi engines all over the world had issues with Timing Chain tensioner failing leading to catastrophic engine damage. If you buy the car make sure you get that changed with the latest part no. There were 2 changes to part and the last was was considered stable. Skoda quotes 81k for the change, but you can do it for 20k outside. The particular part is just 3.5k, but since you are opening up, it's better to change all 3 tensioners, chains, guide rails, etc.
Pardon me, but I think he has a preference for diesels. Anyway it is always better to stay away from European petrols.
Old 14th March 2019, 22:48   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
Anyway it is always better to stay away from European petrols.
Hi balderash_12.

What makes you think it's better to stay away from European petrols? Do you have any reason to say so?

Last edited by Asta_la_vista : 14th March 2019 at 22:51.
Asta_la_vista is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 23:05   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyway it is always better to stay away from European petrols.
Any reason why it is better to stay away from European petrols? Have you had any bad experience with one?

I thought your pick, of course, will be a certain 227 bhp petrol, in race red.

Quote:
Love the car! It’s easily the top pick of the segment. But when you hear the 3 magical letters, the whole world comes crashing down The 1.8 TSi DSG is seriously nuts!
But my pick, of course, will be a certain 227 bhp petrol. In Race Red please.
graaja is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 06:12   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta_la_vista View Post
Hi balderash_12.

What makes you think it's better to stay away from European petrols? Do you have any reason to say so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Any reason why it is better to stay away from European petrols? Have you had any bad experience with one?

I thought your pick, of course, will be a certain 227 bhp petrol, in race red.
Of course! I know a person with the troublesome 7-speed DSG who had to replace the box thrice and is also suffering minor niggles with the engine. Not expected when you plonk 2 million on the car. Of course, the vRS is free from this as it has the 6-speed DSG. Definitely going with this one. I would say stay away from the DSG rather than petrols itself. But of course, European diesels are, generally more reliable. My neighbor’s Laura 2.0 TDi and another neighbor’s 320d are going along just fine with no major issues.

Last edited by balderash_12 : 15th March 2019 at 06:14. Reason: Adding point of reliability of diesels.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:18   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Of course! I know a person with the troublesome 7-speed DSG who had to replace the box thrice and is also suffering minor niggles with the engine. Not expected when you plonk 2 million on the car. Of course, the vRS is free from this as it has the 6-speed DSG. Definitely going with this one.
Understood. Your issue is with DSG (for that matter, who doesn't have), but not with European petrols in general, right? Then why say stay away from European petrols? There are fantastic 1.8TSi manual Lauras which are a pleasure to drive.

Remember, in forums like this, your comments can greatly influence someone else's buying decision. IMHO, you need to be careful with your statements.

Last edited by graaja : 15th March 2019 at 06:26.
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks