Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 07:48   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy a used Skoda laura or Vw Jetta / Passat, automatic have some clarifications..

. Skoda laura as I know received a facelift in 2009, was the engine 2 lt 140bhp one before 2009 also?
. When did the Jetta and passat receive a facelift ? And what Diesel engine was it running in prior to the facelift?
. Which car do you all suggest, is the passat too expensive to maintain compared to the other two?

Appreciate any inputs from your end.

Thanks
Chetan
The pre 2009 Laura came with a PD engine putting out 105 HP.

The current Jetta and Passat are all new models and not mere facelifts. The older Jetta had the same PD unit, while the Passat had the 1.8 TSI engine in MT only. The Passat was being sold initially with a 140 HP diesel engine (PD engine? I am not sure) but later it was stopped and only the MT petrol was offered.

Older Passat diesel may be quite expensive to own. Even the old Laura and Jetta can be quite expensive to own if critical components fail on you, especially the DSG unit. Try to get hold of a post 2010 facelifted Laura DSG. It comes with a CR engine putting out 140 Hp. Its much better when it comes to reliability.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 09:29   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

The pre 2009 Laura came with a PD engine putting out 105 HP.

The current Jetta and Passat are all new models and not mere facelifts. The older Jetta had the same PD unit, while the Passat had the 1.8 TSI engine in MT only. The Passat was being sold initially with a 140 HP diesel engine (PD engine? I am not sure) but later it was stopped and only the MT petrol was offered.

Older Passat diesel may be quite expensive to own. Even the old Laura and Jetta can be quite expensive to own if critical components fail on you, especially the DSG unit. Try to get hold of a post 2010 facelifted Laura DSG. It comes with a CR engine putting out 140 Hp. Its much better when it comes to reliability.
Hi santosh,
Thanks for the info was really helpful to narrow down my search.
Another query is that the 2013 Laura Ambition ManualTransmittion with 110 Bhp output is it a CR engine, same as the 140 Bhp one? And any idea if it can be remapped to 140 Bhp?
Old 5th October 2013, 11:41   #78
Senior - BHPian

Guys is it even remotely possible to find a pre-owned Laura VRS in the Country ? I am willing to pick it up immediately as I was looking for a fast Petrol Sedan for myself, I'v been searching for one but in vain
Old 5th October 2013, 12:02   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Guys is it even remotely possible to find a pre-owned Laura VRS in the Country ? I am willing to pick it up immediately as I was looking for a fast Petrol Sedan for myself, I'v been searching for one but in vain
Finding Laura TSI will be much more easier. Given the fact there are more cars in the market right now will give you the luxury of bargaining. It is almost the same car as Indian VRS, except the slightly different suspension tune.

Remember the Indian VRS is not a full blown VRS, its a diluted version. I'd prefer a TSI with aftermarket suspension.
Old 5th October 2013, 12:46   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi,

I am planning to buy a used Skoda laura or Vw Jetta / Passat, automatic have some clarifications..

. Skoda laura as I know received a facelift in 2009, was the engine 2 lt 140bhp one before 2009 also?
. When did the Jetta and passat receive a facelift ? And what Diesel engine was it running in prior to the facelift?
. Which car do you all suggest, is the passat too expensive to maintain compared to the other two?

Appreciate any inputs from your end.

Thanks
Chetan
All depends on your budget. Like Santosh has clarified above, pre facelift the Laura has the 1.9pd engine with 105ps. After facelift for a few months the Ambition and Elegance had the same 105ps engine while the L&K got the 2.0pd with 140bhp. Then onwards it was the 2.0cr engine in all variants with different states of tune for the m/t and a/t.

Jetta was running the same 1.9pd 105ps engine before facelift, and after the new Jetta was out it became the 2.0cr 140.

The Passat first had the 140bhp pd 2.0. Then it was switched to the cr engine if I remember correctly, before they stopped the diesel and made it a tsi m/t.

Quote:
Lol hardly any were sold, so you may have to wait a bit before one pops up on the market.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 14:45   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Jetta was running the same 1.9pd 105ps engine before facelift, and after the new Jetta was out it became the 2.0cr 140.
Previous Gen Jetta had the PD engine initially, but almost at the same time as Laura(at the time when BS IV emissions came into effect) 2.0 CRDI engine was introduced in 110hp tune, only available with Manual transmission. This configuration was sold till the new Jetta arrived.

Quote:
Hi santosh,
Thanks for the info was really helpful to narrow down my search.
Another query is that the 2013 Laura Ambition ManualTransmittion with 110 Bhp output is it a CR engine, same as the 140 Bhp one? And any idea if it can be remapped to 140 Bhp?
Here is the detailed discussion on remapping the 110hp engine: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...edc17-ecu.html
Old 5th October 2013, 15:14   #82
BHPian

Here is the detailed discussion on remapping the 110hp engine: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...edc17-ecu.html[/quote]
Thanks a ton.... just the right thread I was looking for.... so mostly way forward will be to buy a 110bhp manual and remap it...
Old 5th October 2013, 20:09   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with Anshuman. Get a TSI in very good condition - if possible from a member. Re-map, change suspension, add nice seats, better music system etc and you will be - close to and if I may say so... better than VRS. You can even get a spoiler and VRS badges if you fancy them. This route will also make economic sense as resale petrol should be nicely priced.

I do think that's a better approach than waiting for VRS to appear in the market. Only time you will see few VRS for sale is when Skoda launches new Octivia VRS.

One of our won, Santosh did something similar to his TSI.. very interesting read towards the end of the thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...uspension.html
Old 9th October 2013, 20:32   #84

Hi everyone,

I am new to Skoda, especially Laura but I love the solid build quality. I would be grateful if the experts here can let me know whether it is ok to go for a 2009 Skoda Laura that has done 70,000 km is first owner and manual. The price being quoted is 5 lacs from a Mahindra First Choice dealer. There is one thing I noticed, from the engine oil filling point and dip stick point smoke is emitting when the engine is running in neutral/idle. Should I steer clear of this car. Thanks in advance for your advice
Old 10th October 2013, 10:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

I would steer well clear of Mahindra First Choice. Run a search for them on Team-BHP and you'll find several threads talking about their experiences with them. Here's a few I pulled up.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahindr...er-cars-seized

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sold-cars.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-refunded.html

You have to be very careful that the dealer hasn't tampered with the Odometer as well. Keep looking, and good luck.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 10:21   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirajkota View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to Skoda, especially Laura but I love the solid build quality. I would be grateful if the experts here can let me know whether it is ok to go for a 2009 Skoda Laura that has done 70,000 km is first owner and manual. The price being quoted is 5 lacs from a Mahindra First Choice dealer. There is one thing I noticed, from the engine oil filling point and dip stick point smoke is emitting when the engine is running in neutral/idle. Should I steer clear of this car. Thanks in advance for your advice
Even my two year old laura too emits some smoke when I open engine oil dip stick when idling.. I contacted Skoda regarding this but they said it is normal..
Old 10th October 2013, 10:45   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabasheer View Post
Even my two year old laura too emits some smoke when I open engine oil dip stick when idling.. I contacted Skoda regarding this but they said it is normal..
It is crank case fumes. They normally recirculate or pass thrugh the exhaust unless the dipstick or engine oil filler is reoved
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 16:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Thanks team for the replies, I'll try keeping my efforts running till the end of this year after which I might settle for a 1.8tsi incase I don't find any.

Any idea if its possible to source and retrofit the OEM Xenon Projectors+washers, VRS seats and sunroof on to the regular 1.8tsi ? Since these are the only visual differences that set the VRS apart along with the front bumpers, drls and rear spoiler.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 10th October 2013 at 16:25.
Old 13th October 2013, 20:42   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is crank case fumes. They normally recirculate or pass thrugh the exhaust unless the dipstick or engine oil filler is reoved
Hello Ajmat, but is this ok ? And does this mean the engine is weakening and will soon require work?

Thanks

Sriraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I would steer well clear of Mahindra First Choice. Run a search for them on Team-BHP and you'll find several threads talking about their experiences with them. Here's a few I pulled up.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahindr...er-cars-seized

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sold-cars.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-refunded.html

You have to be very careful that the dealer hasn't tampered with the Odometer as well. Keep looking, and good luck.
Hi iLiketurtles !

Thanks for the advise. The search begins again...

Sriraj

Last edited by bblost : 14th October 2013 at 00:10.
Old 28th October 2013, 16:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirajkota View Post

Thanks for the advise. The search begins again...

Sriraj
You'll easily be able to find a used Laura (Octavia MKII -somehow trying to get out of the Laura nametag) to your taste in N Delhi. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are two options for engine in 2009 ones-1.9 PD or 2 liter CR. I too saw many pre-owned ones, both MT & DSG, and finally bought a low run pre-FL Octy Mk2 1.9 PD DSG from t-bhp classifieds, couple of months back .

Still happy with the ride (keeping fingers crossed -DSG blues!!).

Looking for updates on your new ride soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks