Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 18:07   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

How much do I give for a Laura PDI 2009 MT, Ambiente with 30k on the odo? Seller's asking for 8 lakhs, but is open to negotiation. This is in bangalore.

And what kind of issues do I need to look out for? I see that the AC compressor was offered to be replaced (Sandex). Were there gearbox issues with the manual?

Last edited by Red Liner : 15th April 2014 at 18:19.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:56   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How much do I give for a Laura PDI 2009 MT, Ambiente with 30k on the odo? Seller's asking for 8 lakhs, but is open to negotiation. This is in bangalore.

And what kind of issues do I need to look out for? I see that the AC compressor was offered to be replaced (Sandex). Were there gearbox issues with the manual?
8 lakhs is too much.my uncle sold his 2.0 dsg laura ( 2011), 70k odo for 8 lakhs. its a TN registered car.
as far as i know, there are no gear box issues for the manual, but clutch seems to wear out fast, if not used properly.
Old 15th April 2014, 21:26   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
8 lakhs is too much.my uncle sold his 2.0 dsg laura ( 2011), 70k odo for 8 lakhs. its a TN registered car.
as far as i know, there are no gear box issues for the manual, but clutch seems to wear out fast, if not used properly.
If 8 is too much, would you offer 6 in bangalore? I have only seen polo's and swifts done about 50k on the odo for that price here so far.
Old 16th April 2014, 12:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If 8 is too much, would you offer 6 in bangalore? I have only seen polo's and swifts done about 50k on the odo for that price here so far.
I think the first owner would have paid around ~15l for this car when new, so 8 is a tad bit high. You can try and negotiate a lakh or atleast 50k from the asking price. Personally, i'd avoid this car since it has a PD engine and if you plan to keep the car for long spares may be an issue plus you may not be able to find a buyer later on. I'd suggest looking at 2.0 CR models, I think manual versions are de-tuned to make only 110bhp.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 13:01   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I think the first owner would have paid around ~15l for this car when new, so 8 is a tad bit high. You can try and negotiate a lakh or atleast 50k from the asking price. Personally, i'd avoid this car since it has a PD engine and if you plan to keep the car for long spares may be an issue plus you may not be able to find a buyer later on. I'd suggest looking at 2.0 CR models, I think manual versions are de-tuned to make only 110bhp.
Thanks. There's also a 2.0 CR Elegant trim Laura of 2009 vintage with 30k on the odo available at an asking of 9L which also seems quite high. What is a good offer on this one? I can't imagine going in and offering 7L and keeping a straight face.
Old 16th April 2014, 14:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. There's also a 2.0 CR Elegant trim Laura of 2009 vintage with 30k on the odo available at an asking of 9L which also seems quite high. What is a good offer on this one?
I'd consider this option if I were you and dump the other one altogether. Elegance isn't the barebones variant like the Ambiente, so its a better choice. Are you sure its the 2.0 TDI ? I have my doubts on this since initially (2009) the 2.0 tdi was only offered in the L&K trim. Do check the RC. I'd think 8.3-8.7 would be a good range for this car.

Quote:
I can't imagine going in and offering 7L and keeping a straight face.
I'd quote a max of 7.5 for this. Wouldn't go more than that since spares for our 1.9 TDI (not PD) are already becoming an issue.
Old 16th April 2014, 14:50   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'd consider this option if I were you and dump the other one altogether. Elegance isn't the barebones variant like the Ambiente, so its a better choice. Are you sure its the 2.0 TDI ? I have my doubts on this since initially (2009) the 2.0 tdi was only offered in the L&K trim. Do check the RC. I'd think 8.3-8.7 would be a good range for this car.

I'd quote a max of 7.5 for this. Wouldn't go more than that since spares for our 1.9 TDI (not PD) are already becoming an issue.
I am going to check on this, but he did mention it is a 2 litre engine. I'll of course double check on this too. If indeed it is the 2.0 litre variant, how much do you suggest I offer? Stick to 7.5? It looks in fantastic nick from the pictures I've seen. He's also added a bunch of electronic stuff like the cornering lamps etc.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:27   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to check on this, but he did mention it is a 2 litre engine. I'll of course double check on this too. If indeed it is the 2.0 litre variant, how much do you suggest I offer? Stick to 7.5? It looks in fantastic nick from the pictures I've seen. He's also added a bunch of electronic stuff like the cornering lamps etc.
Oops! I got confused with the Ambiente

I reckon you could go upto 8.6 or 8.7 for the Elegance IF its the 2 litre crdi. I'd start around 8.2 and try to settle for 8.5. Only If I absolutely want the car will I offer more than that. If its a PD engine definitely not more than 8.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:31   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops! I got confused with the Ambiente

I reckon you could go upto 8.6 or 8.7 for the Elegance IF its the 2 litre crdi. I'd start around 8.2 and try to settle for 8.5. Only If I absolutely want the car will I offer more than that. If its a PD engine definitely not more than 8.
Actually, you might be right. I see only the L&K coming with the 2CR in 2009. I wonder if this guy made a mistake. Will check on it.

I get the feeling I should totally stay away from the PD engines. Is that your general advice?
Old 16th April 2014, 17:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, you might be right. I see only the L&K coming with the 2CR in 2009. I wonder if this guy made a mistake. Will check on it.

I get the feeling I should totally stay away from the PD engines. Is that your general advice?
The 2.0 CR came in the Laura (Ambiente and Elegance versions thats is) from middle of 2010 onwards. If its a 2009 car, she is 1.9 PD for sure.

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 16th April 2014 at 17:10. Reason: adding versions to avoid confusion
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 20:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely. Its a reliable engine and great with economy and drivability too,but its unrefined and has now been phased out for 4 years already.

If you plan to keep the car for long you'll definitely have trouble sourcing parts like we're having now. Since you have a choice to go with the CR version,pay up a lakh or so extra and opt for it. You'll be very happy with you choice later on
Old 16th April 2014, 20:45   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely. Its a reliable engine and great with economy and drivability too,but its unrefined and has now been phased out for 4 years already.

If you plan to keep the car for long you'll definitely have trouble sourcing parts like we're having now. Since you have a choice to go with the CR version,pay up a lakh or so extra and opt for it. You'll be very happy with you choice later on
Alright great, that is what I intend to do now. The prices people seem to be asking sound atrocious though.
Old 17th April 2014, 07:26   #103
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A friend just bought a 2010 2 litre Diesel Jetta Highline with 59K kms on the clock for 7.5 in Blr. That should reset your benchmarks.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 09:27   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A friend just bought a 2010 2 litre Diesel Jetta Highline with 59K kms on the clock for 7.5 in Blr. That should reset your benchmarks.
That's a great price. Totally resets my benchmark. Did he buy it straight from an owner or a dealer he trusts? I don't mind using a dealer who introduces me to the owner for a commission.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 12:24   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

So both lauras have checked out as 1.9's and they really are unrefined! Does make no sense to buy this antiquated engine.

Most Viewed