Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 16:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Fine, powerful and creamy engines and excellent fuel efficiency as well!
No harm in going for a well maintained PD actually.
They are very very noisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The CRDI engine is much more quieter, has no turbo lag and has better FE.
+1.

And why should you buy a 110BHP one when a 140BHP one can be had for just a little more money. In fact, a 140BHP one can be available for less than 13L if you look around - why spend on L&K and such. You can get most of the interior decor done later on but you can not change the engine. My suggestion - got for a 140BHP Laura (Ambient) and then get leather seats done later, if you really want them. What say?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th January 2012 at 16:37.
Old 12th January 2012, 20:14   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes I agree. However, 10 years back they were absolutely top end and even now I think they can give many other engines a run for their money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
They are very very noisy.

Old 13th January 2012, 15:23   #18
BHPian

At 13L that's a deal to walk away from, to be honest. The maximum I'd pay for the car is 11. If this is the old PD engine then I'd be willing to pay even less.

I was offered an June/July 2009 silver Laura diesel (the Laurin & Klement version) a month ago. The car was well maintained, had a full service history, stock accessories, and had done 29,000 km for 8L.

I declined because at the end of the day Skodas in general are NOT as easy to maintain as their Honda / Toyota / Hyundai / (and now) GM counterparts. Also, the horror stories surrounding Skoda can be a big factor in the decision.
Old 13th January 2012, 16:26   #19
BHPian

Dear All,

Thank you for your replies, valuable suggestions and feedback.

After weighing all the pros and cons, I have decided not to go in for this vehicle. Will wait for some more time before I make a purchase and go in for a brand new vehicle. I did some calculations and found that I still have enough life left on both my cars and no point in rushing in for a purchase at this time.
Old 15th January 2012, 13:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz View Post
Dear All,

Thank you for your replies, valuable suggestions and feedback.

After weighing all the pros and cons, I have decided not to go in for this vehicle. Will wait for some more time before I make a purchase and go in for a brand new vehicle. I did some calculations and found that I still have enough life left on both my cars and no point in rushing in for a purchase at this time.
That is a good decision.

With the problems faced by some owners, I would always go for a Skoda which has warranty, and now you get the Skoda Shield. I would also shy away from the auto box, as that is where most of the problems crop up. If you want a Skoda (or for that matter any European car), buy them new with extended warranty, and sell them off before the warranty run out. Unlike Japanese cars, EU cars are extremely expensive to maintain out of warranty.
Old 15th January 2012, 16:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
At 13L that's a deal to walk away from, to be honest. The maximum I'd pay for the car is 11. If this is the old PD engine then I'd be willing to pay even less.

I was offered an June/July 2009 silver Laura diesel (the Laurin & Klement version) a month ago. The car was well maintained, had a full service history, stock accessories, and had done 29,000 km for 8L.

I declined because at the end of the day Skodas in general are NOT as easy to maintain as their Honda / Toyota / Hyundai / (and now) GM counterparts. Also, the horror stories surrounding Skoda can be a big factor in the decision.
Would you be able to PM the details of the broker/individual who made you such an offer? The deal sounds too good to be true, unless it was Manual transmission.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealistic View Post
Would you be able to PM the details of the broker/individual who made you such an offer? The deal sounds too good to be true, unless it was Manual transmission.
It wasn't a broker, a member of my club put the notice up on the bulletin board - thats how I got in touch with him. I checked the car (drove it too) and it seemed as advertised. Didn't have a mechanic check it out, but everything seemed to be legit.

And yes, it was an MT.
Old 25th January 2012, 22:13   #23
BHPian

Is a 2008 White Skoda LnK Auto (Triptronic) a good deal @ 7.5L? It's got 62K genuine miles on the ODO. 2nd owner car with a VIP number, brand new tyre's and battery with a full service record.

Only thing putting me off is the high mileage and the fact that it's a 2nd owner vehicle. However, the car is in pristine condition inside out. Very well maintained!

Any thoughts?
Unrealistic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 17:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'm in the same boat, am considering buying a used Laura L&K with DSG (Diesel) will be checking out a few cars in the coming weeks, the only thing that worries me is the DSG but I don't want to buy a MT.

@ Faraz I cannot PM you, can you share the details of the car owner? I would like to get in touch and check the car out.

@ Unrealistic If you decide against buying the car, do pm me and pass along the details I'd like to take a look as-well.

Last edited by quickdraw : 12th July 2012 at 18:01.
Old 26th July 2012, 16:17   #25
BHPian

I heard PD is the technology to have much better atomization in camparison with CRDI, high pressure 40000psi, more efficient and high torque at low rpm(1500) to all the way redline. This technology become obselete because of unit injectors which is costly to manufacture and additional cam shafts for the injector. For CRDI its pretty cheap for the company 1 pump, 4 solenoid injectors thats it, add very narrow power band.
I havent driven Diesels

Regards,
Vijay
Old 26th July 2012, 16:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
I heard PD is the technology to have much better atomization in camparison with CRDI, high pressure 40000psi, more efficient and high torque at low rpm(1500) to all the way redline. This technology become obselete because of unit injectors which is costly to manufacture and additional cam shafts for the injector. For CRDI its pretty cheap for the company 1 pump, 4 solenoid injectors thats it, add very narrow power band.
NVH: PD engine was considerably noisier than CRDI engine. It had an unmistakable crude clatter unlike the CRDI which is quieter.

Performance: Let's compare 140hp PD vs 140hp CR and 110hp PD vs 110hp CR- While the PD and CR engines have similar power and torque rating on paper, the power delivery characteristics are worlds apart, CR engines are much more free revving and have much less turbo lag.

Fuel Consumption: Let's compare the figures straight from manufacturer, tested for official Euro cycle- According to data in owner's manual, CR engine is much more efficient than PD. Want exact figures? Ill get them for you.

Quote:
I havent driven Diesels
I have driven both engines long enough to form an opinion and i own the 140hp CRDI variant.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 23:19   #27
BHPian

Hi guys, I've been scouring the used car market of Mumbai for a while now, and the model I'm looking to buy is a Skoda Laura L&T TDI AT 2006. I found one which is quite well maintained - service records checked out, asking price 6 lac. All electronics and everything seem to be working fine. Buying through a broker.

I have done all the initial checks suggested in this post, but since I am buying a used car for the first time, and since it is a Skoda, please let me know what else to look out for. I am looking to finalize it within a day or two and take delivery within a week's time.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 8th March 2013, 03:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Hi guys, I've been scouring the used car market of Mumbai for a while now, and the model I'm looking to buy is a Skoda Laura L&T TDI AT 2006. I found one which is quite well maintained - service records checked out, asking price 6 lac. All electronics and everything seem to be working fine. Buying through a broker.

I have done all the initial checks suggested in this post, but since I am buying a used car for the first time, and since it is a Skoda, please let me know what else to look out for. I am looking to finalize it within a day or two and take delivery within a week's time.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Since it is a 2006 model, there is going to be no warranty for any part of the vehicle I am assuming. Please make it a point to put aside some money for any eventuality and repairs, particularly with spares for European cars being more than Japanese cars. You do not want to get a car and be unable to use it for lack of funds later.

Check the gearbox out carefully. Certain versions of the VW dsg auto box are problematic. Also try your best to ensure that the mileage is genuine because replacements based on mileage (timing belts for example) can cause major damage if they break.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 07:36   #29
Team-BHP Support

If you must, go in with your eyes wide open.

The a/c compressor is a failure point. Check if it has been replaced, if not budget for a replacement, ensure a Sanden version is used, you might be able to get this done outside the Skoda network.

DSG enough has been said about it. Budget for the mechatronics, clutch and dual mass flywheel replacements at a later stage

Fuel injectors might need replacement at 100000 km it all depends on the quality of fuel.

heck turbocharger, faulty seals will see blue smoke puffing out.

Otherwise, the 1.9 tdi is a workhorse but a lot depends on the cars maintenance.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 21:04   #30
BHPian

Dear ganapathy and ajmat, thanks for your helpful comments.
After due consideration and a third test drive, I have opted to look for other cars (same model) in the market.

I have found one 2008 Laura L&K TDI AT with 62000 kms on the odo. Car looks extremely well maintained, and the dealer says service records are available (of course I'll be inspecting them before taking it further). There are bruises and dents on the body, but nothing major.

He has also told me that he is not giving any warranty or guarantee on the car, but that I can take the car anywhere and get it checked in whatever manner I want (mechanic/authorized workshop etc).
He also himself told me that I can call up Skoda and ask them for the service history if required.

My questions to you are below:

1. Where can I take the car to get it checked by some knowledgeable person about wear and tear of components, find out what replacements are necessary, whether all fluids are topped up, etc?

2. Which Skoda dealership can I call to get the service history? Or can I call any outlet; does Skoda have a centralized records system?

3. The dealer is quoting 8 lakhs (he mentioned it is negotiable). How much do you think I can bring the price down on bargaining?

4. Normally when buying from a broker is the brokerage charge over and above the quoted price or is it included?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks