Team-BHP - Nissan Sunny vs VW Vento TDI EDIT: Its a Sunny Diesel XLD
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Nissan Sunny vs VW Vento TDI EDIT: Its a Sunny Diesel XLD (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/114460-nissan-sunny-vs-vw-vento-tdi-edit-its-sunny-diesel-xld-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2652269)
Don't kill me for this but I actually liked the looks. It kind of looks good to me except from a certain angle from the side where it looks stretched.

That’s perfect then. I mean nothing much can go wrong a Nissan. So it’s just gets to which one you like more –the Vento or the Sunny. Another good point to note is, Nissan have gone with a price hike for all models except for Sunny diesel.
But just thinking – why you need all the reliable Japanese workhorses in your garage – you may get bored :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg
The 2012 Vento will cost me close to 80k more Sir. That will take the OTR price close to 11.5L. Do you really feel it’s advisable to wait for that? In that case I will probably have to go and buy the car from Chandigarh. Road tax there is 3% as opposed to the 9% in Delhi. Infact after the price hike the road tax in Delhi will increase to 11-12% ( for cars costing above 10L).

If you have an option to buy from Chandigarh, why not? Wait a bit and get the 2012 car. I seriously feel that the upgrade may not be just the leatherette seats. Anyway, you may get to know about the changes in a week or two.

Is there no waiting period on Vento, i agree the huge wait-list is a killer these days, and to top it all government looks like will change the rules of the game (heavy preference to diesel) by hiking some taxes. Hence the lesser the waiting the greater the chances of paying the same price.

1200 Kms is right on the edge, so to recover ~1.5L-2L price diff you might need ~4-6 years. Do make the calculations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 (Post 2652775)
Is there no waiting period on Vento, i agree the huge wait-list is a killer these days, and to top it all government looks like will change the rules of the game (heavy preference to diesel) by hiking some taxes. Hence the lesser the waiting the greater the chances of paying the same price.

1200 Kms is right on the edge, so to recover ~1.5L-2L price diff you might need ~4-6 years. Do make the calculations.

The calculations are made. Even if I don't recover the money, I will atleast feel happy each time I visit the gas station. My altis currently takes in diesel worth 1500-1600 Rs for every 850 kms. The joy is unmatchable.

So its going to be a diesel.

There is no waiting period for the Vento. The Nissan has a slight waiting but I know the dealer through a friend. So might get the car early by jumping the queue.

I am with you on the diesel - its not the overall financials that make a lot of sense. Over the lifecycle of use, I'm not sure the diesel really makes up the difference in the initial cost, higher maintenance cost and the driving experience when you compare with petrol.
But the freedom of tanking up every once in a while and the lower cost at the pump is really why I plumped for the diesel variant. I am not a fan of spending time waiting to tank up.

Like all other Vento owners here, I'd say go for the Vento. But if you like the Nissan, thats the way to go. The car should be ruled by the heart ;) I don't think the costs/inconveniences for any of the cars (except Skoda) are really that big a deal for getting the car you want.

^^ Also the Vento diesel engine is way superior to the petrol. 250 Nm of torque! The Sunny petrol is an ok-ok performer also.

These days, I advise anyone who cares to ask: if you can afford the extra lac on the diesel variant, grab it (for any car). Modern diesels are as driveable as petrols and turbo lag is something you get used to. Once you have already pad for the car, you tend to look only at operating expenses and that's where the diesel advantage is unbeatable.

For example: I did a recent 2000 km roadtrip in the Vento. At 12 kmpl on average that's Rs 6/km with petrol @72, or 12,000/- for the trip. In a Vento D I could have done the trip for half of that (15 kmpl @45).

So that discussion is moot. Also Mohit hates Skoda (I have been following his posts lol:) and the Verna leaves him cold. I am willing to change my vote and urge you to get the Sunny simply because of the savings and the space in back. And also because the Sunny diesel is such an underrated car (And I do love the underdog!)

All the best and do let us know what you eventually choose!

Quote:

Originally Posted by noopster (Post 2653100)
Modern diesels are as driveable as petrols and turbo lag is something you get used to. Once you have already pad for the car, you tend to look only at operating expenses and that's where the diesel advantage is unbeatable.

Bang on! The small joys that you get every week at the pump in just unbeatable. And on top of that all that torque is addictive. Many of us may not red line a petrol engine but we will surely enjoy that torque of the diesel every time.

Quote:

I am willing to change my vote and urge you to get the Sunny simply because of the savings and the space in back. And also because the Sunny diesel is such an underrated car (And I do love the underdog!)
Huh? Why suddenly? What changed since we talked the last time? The problem is for an amateur like me its very tough to judge a car over a short TD in the city. Also I am somehow always careful with the TD car ( in general I hate to drive a car which does not belong to me). Only when you drive the car for a week or so atleast, you realise its pros and cons. This is where TBHP reviews help and sadly they haven't TD the Sunny diesel yet.

Given the criteria you've mentioned (back seat space, driveability not being a decider et al), it would be a bit pointless to go for the Vento over the Sunny given the premium it commands.

The only issues I have with Nissan is that its after sales and service costs are a bit unknown. It's a Japanese car, and as such that shouldn't be an issue. But I have no doubt that long-term, the Vento will be more rattle-free compared to the Sunny. Just a hunch.

My advice; go for the Sunny. It's spacious, practical, and the savings are massive. The major advantage the Vento offers is moot in your books (driveability on highways) and on purely space it is no match for the Sunny. The car is massive!

As a side note...don't go for the City E MT. It is just too bare bones. Where do you draw the line on savings up front? If that's your game, go for the Corporate Edition City, the savings are even more massive!

You clearly seem to want a diesel (with good reason too), and the Sunny is almost tailor-made for you. Take the dive. Get another Jap car :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iliketurtles (Post 2653190)
My advice; go for the Sunny. It's spacious, practical, and the savings are massive. The major advantage the Vento offers is moot in your books (driveability on highways) and on purely space it is no match for the Sunny. The car is massive!

The Sunny makes perfect sense. Only thing holding me back is when I look at my garage. Its filled with all mundane cars, or should I say practical cars that appeal to your head. Vento brings a little flair to the table.

Quote:

As a side note...don't go for the City E MT. It is just too bare bones. Where do you draw the line on savings up front? If that's your game, go for the Corporate Edition City, the savings are even more massive!
The whole City idea came because of that Corp edition pricing. But I didn't like it in person. It looks very bland and not something I will want to be in for the next 5-6 years. E MT doesn't justify its price tag at all. So more or less the City is out of the contention.

I loved your signature :uncontrol!

From all reviews, Rapid is marginally better than Vento. In fact both Vento and Rapid are same, except for different states of tuning, and service centre. In Bangalore Skoda is offering excellent service, and I have heard that they are toning it up in Delhi too. Skoda is also offering Skoda Shield, so you will be protected for 4 years.

I believe that Skoda and VW share a lot of spare, so the cost of upkeep of both the cars will be same. Thus if you are considering VW you can consider Skoda also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2653211)
Only thing holding me back is when I look at my garage. Its filled with all mundane cars, or should I say practical cars that appeal to your head. Vento brings a little flair to the table.

Doc, you yourself answering your question of which car.

It seems your garage is filled up with Jap and Koreans. Let your heart win over and try the Vento you wont regret it.

The fun you get with 250NM torque is awesome and the car pulls like anything. I know it only going to be used for city purpose but outside Delhi there are many places where you would like to take the car some time with A-pedal depressed.

Coming from Corolla D4-D, Vento TDi would be a revelation and you will enjoy each and everyday.
The After Sales of VW are very good in this part(Navi Mumbai) and it will keep on improving further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2653149)
Huh? Why suddenly? What changed since we talked the last time? The problem is for an amateur like me its very tough to judge a car over a short TD in the city. ...This is where TBHP reviews help and sadly they haven't TD the Sunny diesel yet.

Well, you still seem unsure so I was playing devil's advocate :D. But DUDE...you have to test drive both vehicles before you actually choose. Doesn't matter how short or unsatisfying the TD is, at least later on you will not regret NOT doing the test drive if something very obvious turns out to be something you hate (front and rear visibility in Vento is one thing I can think of).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 2653247)
From all reviews, Rapid is marginally better than Vento. In fact both Vento and Rapid are same, except for different states of tuning, and service centre. (...)
I believe that Skoda and VW share a lot of spare, so the cost of upkeep of both the cars will be same. Thus if you are considering VW you can consider Skoda also.

No offence but the guy has made it very clear he is not interested in Skoda since he doesn't trust the brand thanks to the horror stories that he has heard and one of his friends experienced first-hand. So is there any point in pushing Skoda? Also the Vento and Rapid are in identical states of tune- in fact it's virtually the same car except for the exteriors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2653211)
The Sunny makes perfect sense. Only thing holding me back is when I look at my garage. Its filled with all mundane cars, or should I say practical cars that appeal to your head. Vento brings a little flair to the table.

Yup- and this is why I think paying a premium for the Veedub is a no-brainer (already told you this). I'd had given an arm and a leg to own a Nissan maybe 3 years ago but now the market has become so exciting that one is spoiled for choice especially in this segment! For me the choice was simple: I needed an AT and the (pre-Fluidic) Verna diesel AT was dated and boring while the Honda City lacked some things the VW delivered on (build quality, 6-speed gearshift and ACC).
I have always been a fan of German marques and also did have a Jap in the garage (my trusty Swift). You have not one but TWO Toyotas in there. Am not saying Nissan = Toyota but surely you can look at the Vento as an option? The price difference is something that you can alone can rationalise- after all 86 BHP is less than 105, and 250 Nm is a segment beater!
Use the weekend wisely and go test drive both cars! please:

@ drmohitg

I own a Vento TDi HL (Dec '10) and let me just tell you again what everyone else will that if you want a driver's car look no further than the Vento.

However let me tell share a few thoughts.

As great as the Vento is to drive a few short comings where i feel/hope the Sunny to be better are:However if you are the types who like to leave every red signal in the lead most of the times and dont want to spend a bomb then this is the car for you. the in your seat acceleration is addictive to the point of being out of control. it still doesnt fail to excite me even after ~18k kms and 13 months of ownership. Of course as mentioned earlier and as you know very well by now all this comes at a price.

Hope this helps!

I have not test driven the Sunny D or the Vento TDI, but will put in my 2 cents if they are of help to you or even make you more confused.

Since you have already given your mind the bender in short-listing on either the Vento or the Sunny or the City, why don't you give the mind a break and give the heart a free hand for choosing among the 3.

First and foremost, I would heavily tip you on test driving all vehicles for a longer period as per your satisfaction, please. That is one thought we have to overcome. It is not another man's vehicle you are driving. It is a vehicle meant for you to test the way you would own. Even, I was a slow learner in this aspect and have faced consequences for not test driving to my satisfaction.

Since you have a requirement of 100% city use, I doubt whether you will ever get to see the real prowess of the Vento TDI. Adding to it, hope you do not have much issue with constantly using a slightly heavier clutch of the Vento (I am unsure of the same on the Sunny D). In contrast, we are yet to see an owner's review of the Sunny D, so we are much in oblivion on the Sunny D's ownership experience.

If you are looking to buy sticking to the requirement, I feel the Sunny would do. But, if you are looking for having a new experience, the Vento wins the vote. Imagine that you have bought one of the vehicles. Will a thought ever play on your mind that you should have gone for the other? Then, better go for the other and have a nice time not thinking of the other car after buying.

One small bit of advice : :OT When you test drive a car, pl. make sure that it is the version you are planning to buy. Eg : long long ago i had test driven a power steering Santro (without knowing it was power steered) and bought the manual steering one. The moment i drove my new car home, i realised my folly. If only the Hyundai guy had told me, i would have gone for the powered one.

Similarly the make and size of tyres make a world of difference. ABS too changes the braking style. Tilt steering and seat height sdjustment is also important. Lights are another factor. Some things like the clutch feel and brakes you can change to only a certain extent.

BTW. this is my 200th post !!

Somehow the City keeps coming back in the list. After a long discussion yesterday night over dinner, everyone in the house seems to be in favour of the City corp edition. A nice set of alloys and a decent looking HU will cost around 50k taking the OTR price to 8.5L. Thats still almost 2L less then the Vento and mathematically speaking it would be enough to cover up for any Running cost difference over the next 5 years by which time who knows what the car market will be like. Plus its a proven and reliable car, after sales is decent ( though my experience with them hasn't been all that good).

Anyways A visit with the whole family is planned over the weekend to all the 3 dealers. I will update the thread then.