Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 09:07   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Nissan Sunny vs VW Vento TDI EDIT: Its a Sunny Diesel XLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I look at that garage of yours and wonder what car is this new one replacing.
Hey this will be replacing the Honda City which is my Dads car. So most of the time it will the driver who will be enjoying it but ofcourse one can always have those weekend drives.

Quote:
Apart from the 2003 Lancer, the rest are basically boring cars that your driver will be driving (no offends to any owners, just IMO). I also liked the way you chose the Altis over the competition last year. Its time to get subjective again.
I agree. The Sunny will just be like the other cars. The Vento will be a little different.
Right now I am more leaned towards the Vento. Lets see.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:06   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Right now I am more leaned towards the Vento. Lets see.
Though my head says go for the City CE which comes for almost 2.4 lacs less, the heart says go for the Vento if you can spare the dough . Given that your monthly running won't be very high, the difference between the City CE and Vento will probably take 5-6 years for recovery.

But then being a Vento owner myself that TDI engine is an absolute stonker. And who said the Vento is inferior in handling when compared to the Linea. Thats absolute rubbish. Yesterday while getting off NH6 and into NH117 there is an almost 270 degree sharp turn, I was doing 60 when I recalled a debate on the new Linea/Punto thread about Linea's superior handling to the Vento. So I floored the pedal once into the turn and moved on to 80. Not once did I feel unsettled. Wifey who is more sensitive to such rashness barely noticed anything wrong with the stunt I pulled . I overtook an M800 in the process which was about half that speed leaving that driver speechless.

Sorry to add to your confusion, my mind says City CE, heart says Vento.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:14   #63
BHPian

The other day I was driving on Karve road and there it stood beside me when I stopped for the red signal. First I thought it was Camry or Accord. But I was very surpised when I saw it was Nissan Sunny. It is really a huge Sedan and I am sure it definitely commands attention and respect on the road

My vote goes for Nissan Sunny.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:20   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
The other day I was driving on Karve road and there it stood beside me when I stopped for the red signal. First I thought it was Camry or Accord. But I was very surpised when I saw it was Nissan Sunny. It is really a huge Sedan and I am sure it definitely commands attention and respect on the road

My vote goes for Nissan Sunny.
I know. The sunny actually looks very stately. A mini Teana from many angles. The rear profile looks odd when looked at particularly but as a part of the whole body it looks decent. And the space inside is just mind-blowing.

On the other hand the Vento has that European touch.

Well I am headed for another round of back to back TD of both the cars. This will be probably the final assessment. Honda is out of the contention because I might as well buy the Sunny which will cost me only 80k over the CE City.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:45   #65
BHPian

I'd say the Sunny too. It looks good, is good VFM and most importantly, we need that ownership report.
Old 24th January 2012, 14:43   #66
Team-BHP Support

Nice synopsis of the Sunny Diesel Noopster and drmohitg. Agree with pretty much everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
  • One feature that I felt was an utter waste: the keyless stop-start. You really don't know what to do with the key once you've entered the car and chances are you will leave it behind when you get out. In which case the damn thing auto-locks after 5 minutes and the sales rep told me it's advisable to carry a spare key at all times . Don't they test a feature before putting it in?
^ Don't agree with this!

The beauty of this system is that you never need to take the key out of your pocket in the first place! You can unlock the door and start the car without having to fish around in your pockets for the key. Super useful if you have your hands full, and since the key stays in your pocket - you're not gonna leave it behind in the car.

This kind of convenience is pretty much unique to the Micra and Sunny in these segments. I'm honestly shocked to see cars which are 3 segments higher dont offer it.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th January 2012 at 14:47.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 15:08   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nice synopsis of the Sunny Diesel Noopster and drmohitg.
Thanks a lot. But ofcourse an official word on the diesel engine is still awaited by one of you guys.

Quote:
The beauty of this system is that you never need to take the key out of your pocket in the first place! You can unlock the door and start the car without having to fish around in your pockets for the key. Super useful if you have your hands full, and since the key stays in your pocket - you're not gonna leave it behind in the car.
I agree. Its a nice new feature to have. I guess one can only start appreciating it when they use it for sometime. For instance I have seen many people on the forum not giving much weightage to electrically fold able and adjustable ORVMs. But I am so used to them that I find it irritating and difficult to drive a car without them now.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th January 2012 at 15:12.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:19   #68
Team-BHP Support

drmohitg, just one question. You have an Altis D already. What will the Sunny/Vento be used for?

If your plan is to use the Altis D for majority of the running and this will be lower usage then the new Honda City makes a lot of sense.

If the Altis and the new car will have similar high running then a diesel makes more sense.

One thing to keep in mind that the Altis and Sunny are targeted towards the same type of buyer. Both are utterly boring, well built, reliable and offer fantastic rear seat comfort. Do you really need 2 cars that are for the same purpose?

If not then get a Vento that is much more fun to drive if you need diesel. If you don't need a diesel then the new City.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:27   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, I re-read the official review and it seems the Sunny does have "true" keyless entry. Does that mean the car auto-unlocks when you are within range and you only have to press the Stop-Go button to take off or am I getting it mixed up with some other car?

If so then my bad. The SR should have been clearer What she did as unlock the car using the key fob then keep it in the receptacle near the gearshift. So I assumed what I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
One thing to keep in mind that the Altis and Sunny are targeted towards the same type of buyer. Both are utterly boring, well built, reliable and offer fantastic rear seat comfort. Do you really need 2 cars that are for the same purpose?

If not then get a Vento that is much more fun to drive if you need diesel.
This is what I've been telling the boy since the beginning . Thanks for the support!

Last edited by noopster : 24th January 2012 at 15:29.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:39   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Well here is the deal that I am being offered on the Vento:
Ex-showroom- 9,77,500
Road tax: 90,201
Wax polishing (?) and number plate: 6000
Ext warranty: 11,199
OTR: 10,85,700

This does not include the Insurance which I can get from outside for around 20k. My altis ( ex-showroom 13.5L costed me 32k for the 0 %dep). Also I have a 65% NCB that I can transfer.

So adding 20k for the insurance it brings the figure to 11,05,700.

Discounts: 40k cash discount and 15k corp discount.

So final OTR will be around 10.4L. The basic accessories should cost me around 20k more from outside including mats, mud flaps and sun film and I am good to go.

2 doubts I have in this:
1. Road Tax is 8.75% in Delhi for cars costing less then 10L ex-showroom. This amounts to Rs. 85,531. They are charging 90,201 for the same. Can the agent take that much commission?
But I am not sure they will allow me to get it self registered so easily. Also the hassle may not be worth a couple of thousands.

2. The wax polish and number etching: 6k for this is a loot. What wax polish are we talking about here? I want my car as delivered by the company. anyways the company gives 5-6 years paint guarantee right? I can always opt for 3M packages outside. Number plate should not cost more then Rs. 500. Can owners of the VW cars shed some light over this wax polishing?

Edit: This is not the Body Care package which is listed separately in the Price list at Rs. 7,940. I think this includes the Anti-rust and teflon coating. I have not got this done on any of my cars till date and the have all run fine. So I assume I can safely skip this too. What do you guys say?

Quote:
drmohitg, just one question. You have an Altis D already. What will the Sunny/Vento be used for?

If not then get a Vento that is much more fun to drive if you need diesel. If you don't need a diesel then the new City.
Quote:
This is what I've been telling the boy since the beginning . Thanks for the support!
The problem is all my fault. I though I would be able to convince my Dad to upgrade to a D/C+ segment sedan from his ageing Honda City. He also finally agreed. So we bought the Altis for that purpose ( instead of the Jetta if you recall from my threads about the same 3 months back). He is 95% chauffeured and the car runs around 1000-1200 km/month inside the city with absolutely no highway drives.
Now after buying the Altis he has changed his mind. He isn't comfortable at all in taking it to his office which is located in a very congested area. The driver is a magnet for scratches and dents and so my dad has put his foot down. Now me and my sister use the Altis when we could have had the Jetta.

So this new car now will be a C segment car and will replace his city. Hence the needs are the same and therefore the confusion. Hope I have been able to explain it.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th January 2012 at 15:51.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:50   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, I re-read the official review and it seems the Sunny does have "true" keyless entry. Does that mean the car auto-unlocks when you are within range and you only have to press the Stop-Go button to take off
That is correct. (Though you have to press the button on the handle to unlock).

Watch from 1min 32sec onwards :

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 15:50   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also I have a 65% NCB that I can transfer.

2. The wax polish and number etching: 6k for this is a loot. What wax polish are we talking about here? I want my car as delivered by the company. anyways the company gives 5-6 years paint guarantee right? I can always opt for 3M packages outside. Number plate should not cost more then Rs. 500. Can owners of the VW cars shed some light over this wax polishing?

Edit: This is not the Body Care package which is listed separately in the Price list at Rs. 7,940. I think this includes the Anti-rust and teflon coating. I have not got this done on any of my cars till date and the have all run fine. So I assume I can safely skip this too. What do you guys say?
The 65% NCB can only be transferred if you are selling the older car. Once the registration is transferred then you can transfer the NCB.

You don't need the silly wax polish. Just do the 3M treatment after you get the car. More than enough. Should be waved off.

Quote:
So this new car now will be a C segment car and will replace his city. Hence the needs are the same and therefore the confusion. Hope I have been able to explain it.
If it's for your dad the Vento makes no sense. Also I can pretty comfortably assure you that dents and scratches will cost you more to repair in the Vento than the Altis. Compared to the Vento the Altis will be cheaper to maintain as well to scratch and dent.

The theory of getting a smaller car like the Vento as it will cost lesser to repair is gone out the window.

You will have to start living in the Altis once your dad finds out the cost of Vento alloys or front bumper.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th January 2012 at 15:57.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:54   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 65% NCB can only be transferred if you are selling the older car. Once the registration is transferred then you can transfer the NCB.

You don't need the silly wax polish. Just do the 3M treatment after you get the car. More than enough. Should be waved off.
Thanks. I will tell the same to the SA. Its good to be informed beforehand because sometimes they throw there logics at you with such conviction that its tough to think otherwise.

The 65% NCB is what I have in my Lancer. We are going to keep the car with us only since we all still love it a lot. So planning to change its ownership within the family ( form my name to my Dad for instance) and hence transferring the NCB. 65% is too good to ignore. The lancer can get a basic third party insurance.

Quote:
The theory of getting a smaller car like the Vento as it will cost lesser to repair is gone out the window.

You will have to start living in the Altis once your dad finds out the cost of Vento alloys or front bumper.
Now this is just complicating things here mate. How much different will it be from lets say the Altis or the Sunny? We are talking about small scratches here and there, nothing serious. The kind of stuff that makes your car look ugly. Its more of a psyche thing with him being comfortable in a car of Honda City's size and proportions.
The other thing as you mentioned is more about having something different in the garage. I am not buying a BMW anytime soon so might as well enjoy a little with the VW Vento.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th January 2012 at 16:05. Reason: not editing anything but please read my edited reply in my previous post. :D
Old 24th January 2012, 16:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Well here is the deal that I am being offered on the Vento:
Ex-showroom- 9,77,500
Road tax: 90,201
Wax polishing (?) and number plate: 6000
Ext warranty: 11,199
OTR: 10,85,700

This does not include the Insurance which I can get from outside for around 20k. My altis ( ex-showroom 13.5L costed me 32k for the 0 %dep). Also I have a 65% NCB that I can transfer.

So adding 20k for the insurance it brings the figure to 11,05,700.
Which insurance you are going to opt? I would strongly recommend to get a 0% depreciation policy in case of VW, as minor repairing jobs cost bombs. Never hesitate to claims the insurance in case of any damage. Choose the company which has tie-up with VW/Dealership for headache free claim clearance.

Ext. warranty is must to have.

Quote:
So final OTR will be around 10.4L. The basic accessories should cost me around 20k more from outside including mats, mud flaps and sun film and I am good to go.
VW Mud flaps are pain to have, they always keep scrapping the bumps. Hold the installation of mud flaps until you find rubber mud flaps in short size. Get accessories from outside, you can find plenty of options as you are in Delhi. There are no good accessories in the VW showrooms, seat and body covers are good but not worth at their pricing. [/quote]

Quote:
2 doubts I have in this:

Which colour you are going to opt? I have a Red Polo and do wax polish myself (Thanks to TeamBHP) and the little baby is in shining state from last April'11. VW paint quality is really great.

I won't suggest to get the polishing done from them. They even call this as Teflon coating and being BHPian we are aware of what actually the Teflon coating is, so I think its not worth at all. If in any case you feel the need of all this, you can get it done later.

EDIT :
Quote:
...He is 95% chauffeured and the car runs around 1000-1200 km/month inside the city with absolutely no highway drives. Now after buying the Altis he has changed his mind. He isn't comfortable at all in taking it to his office which is located in a very congested area. The driver is a magnet for scratches and dents and so my dad has put his foot down...
Aren't the cars like Jazz or Fabia 1.6 not suitable in the scenario you described?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 24th January 2012 at 16:11.
Old 24th January 2012, 16:10   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Which insurance you are going to opt? I would strongly recommend to get a 0% depreciation policy in case of VW, as minor repairing jobs cost bombs. Never hesitate to claims the insurance in case of any damage. Choose the company which has tie-up with VW/Dealership for headache free claim clearance.
Insurance will be 0% dep only. I will get it done from outside. Ofcourse if they can match the quote then I will get it done from the dealer itself. I am thinking Tata Aig.

Quote:
Ext. warranty is must to have.
+1. Getting it.

Quote:
Which colour you are going to opt? I have a Red Polo and do wax polish myself (Thanks to TeamBHP) and the little baby is in shining state from last April'11. VW paint quality is really great.
I will be opting for the white colour. Don't see the need for a brand new car to get waxed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks