Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 17:48   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
So what do you guys suggest? Which of the two deals makes more economical sense? Honda sold off the last batch of previous generation City at some huge discounts, so is 6.5L justified for the 2010 car considering that its a older model now technically and misses out on some features like alloys ( which are present in the new S MT)?
Looking forward to your inputs.
The 08 model SMT on road in Delhi till last December was costing 8.3L on-road after prevailing discounts. I expect another couple of months and the 12 SMT should get 30-40k discount and sell at about 8.6L OTR. Use 8.5L as a ball park estimate for the car & then a 2 yr depreciation @ 15% p.a. Brings it to about 6.1L.

I would not pay anything above 6L for this car. Maybe less as the 12 SMT gets alloys & a couple of other things as standard.

Moreover, would also check if the Pre-owned car has an existing zero depreciation insurance & extended warranty cover specially when the driver is driving.
Initially expensive yes but with warranty cover & zero dep insurance, a new banged car or otherwise will be much cheaper to fix than a 2 yr old.

PS: The above statements are pretty calculative as I don't need to take the call

Last edited by nitin.rai : 29th February 2012 at 17:49.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: Nissan Sunny vs VW Vento TDI EDIT: Its a Sunny Diesel XLD

A Honda City with just 8000KMs is still virgin IMO. 6.5 Lac seems fine to me. And you are lucky to have a offer of such low mileage car. Just make sure the car is free from any insurance-accident-police issues and go ahead with the deal.

And if you feel the pinch of running cost you can always sell as it will not depreciate much as compared to brand new car.

PS - A brand new 2012 Honda City SMT costs 9 lacs on road in Delhi.

I bought my Honda City SMT for 9.62 lacs in October 2010 ! Sigh!

Last edited by bluevolt : 29th February 2012 at 18:05.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:19   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
The 08 model SMT on road in Delhi till last December was costing 8.3L on-road after prevailing discounts. I expect another couple of months and the 12 SMT should get 30-40k discount and sell at about 8.6L OTR. Use 8.5L as a ball park estimate for the car & then a 2 yr depreciation @ 15% p.a. Brings it to about 6.1L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
PS - A brand new 2012 Honda City SMT costs 9 lacs on road in Delhi.

I bought my Honda City SMT for 9.62 lacs in October 2010 ! Sigh!
Thats the problem. In 2010 Honda was still a best seller and hence the 9.6L OTR price. The same car sold at 8.3L OTR in Dec,2011. So as a seller I would like to take 9.6 ( what I actually paid) as a point of reference whereas as a buyer I feel that since the massive price cuts have come into play and are soon bound to come in 2012 cars, its not wise to pay 6.5L for this car.

There is no one good way to calculate depreciation on Honda right now since the normal rules of the mathematics may not apply owing to huge discounts being offered.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:29   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

Thats the problem. In 2010 Honda was still a best seller and hence the 9.6L OTR price. The same car sold at 8.3L OTR in Dec,2011. So as a seller I would like to take 9.6 ( what I actually paid) as a point of reference whereas as a buyer I feel that since the massive price cuts have come into play and are soon bound to come in 2012 cars, its not wise to pay 6.5L for this car.

There is no one good way to calculate depreciation on Honda right now since the normal rules of the mathematics may not apply owing to huge discounts being offered.
Not completely though Mohit, am not pro-CNG (call it a mental road block) but a Honda City 10 running on CNG with a driver would be a nice combo.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:33   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Not completely though Mohit, am not pro-CNG (call it a mental road block) but a Honda City 10 running on CNG with a driver would be a nice combo.
No mate I have seen the CNG queues and I have anyways never been in favour of converting my car into something else. For me its the 2 usual fuels only, petrol and diesel.

The thing is I feel that prices in used car market have really taken a beating off late specially for Honda.
Old 29th February 2012, 19:58   #111
Team-BHP Support

^^Mohit, if you are leaning towards petrol, why not check out the Sunny Petrol as well? I think the mid-variant is less than 7 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 19:26   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys after a long thought we have decided to go with the Nissan Sunny diesel XLD. The waiting period is more then a month and we wanted the car before the budget. The dealer happens to be a friend and he also told that they have confirmed info that a minimum of 6% hike in duty will be enforced and may be even more. I am trying to get him to deliver me a car in bronze grey colour before the budget. He is trying for it or else can provide me with silver. But I feel that Sunny looks the best in bronze grey. Just saw the car Rehaan TD and that was a silver and its not looking too bad. So lets see which colour I am able to get before the price hike.

Thanks a lot to all for your valuable inputs.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 20:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

FINALLY !!! Congrats on yet another Japanese in your garage ! Sunny D is the most practical choice within the 9 lacs range . Even i feel the Sunny looks best in the Bronze grey . Do keep us posted once you get the delivery . Cheers !!

Last edited by karanraheja : 5th March 2012 at 20:04.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:40   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny vs VW Vento TDI EDIT: Its a Sunny Diesel XLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys after a long thought we have decided to go with the Nissan Sunny diesel XLD. The waiting period is more then a month and we wanted the car before the budget. The dealer happens to be a friend and he also told that they have confirmed info that a minimum of 6% hike in duty will be enforced and may be even more. I am trying to get him to deliver me a car in bronze grey colour before the budget. He is trying for it or else can provide me with silver. But I feel that Sunny looks the best in bronze grey. Just saw the car Rehaan TD and that was a silver and its not looking too bad. So lets see which colour I am able to get before the price hike.

Thanks a lot to all for your valuable inputs.
Good news for you and 'potentially' bad news for me. Good news for you is that you have eventually decided on the car. My heartiest congratulations

Bad news for me is the duty price hike on diesel cars. I am in for my much awaited car this year and it has to be a diesel. Is that confirmed now my the dealers? I say so coz I don't see much potential for 'pushing the car down your throat' in this case since the dealer is a known ally. What's his source of info?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 6th March 2012 at 11:41.
Old 6th March 2012, 21:20   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Bad news for me is the duty price hike on diesel cars. I am in for my much awaited car this year and it has to be a diesel. Is that confirmed now my the dealers? I say so coz I don't see much potential for 'pushing the car down your throat' in this case since the dealer is a known ally. What's his source of info?
Thanks a lot. Well the SA attending to us was very positive on this and said that they have already got info that its going to be 6%. Now this guy knew that we were anyways going to buy the car since the MD ( our friend) had already told him to help us choosing the colour etc. I will ask him tomorrow for his source of info. But ofcourse these will be rumours till 16th march. The dealers can just have back channel information.
Old 7th March 2012, 16:26   #116
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car and bronze grey colour looks really beautiful on the car. Saw a couple of them on the roads and really admired the shade. Though you really liked the vento, VW simply didn't deserve your business.

Wishing you a very pleasant and memorable ownership experience with your new car.

On a related note - There are 2 seperate things that are being discussed in this budget.

- Standardization of road tax
- Additional tax/excise duty for diesel cars

I beleive minimum RTO standard is going to be 6% of ex-showroom cost across the country and the individual states can add on top of it. I beleive this is what the dealer is referring to and is common for all the cars. As far as the additional tax on diesel car's go, we need to wait for some more time before we get a clear picture. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Well the SA attending to us was very positive on this and said that they have already got info that its going to be 6%. Now this guy knew that we were anyways going to buy the car since the MD ( our friend) had already told him to help us choosing the colour etc. I will ask him tomorrow for his source of info. But ofcourse these will be rumours till 16th march. The dealers can just have back channel information.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:05   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Congratulations on your new car and bronze grey colour looks really beautiful on the car. Saw a couple of them on the roads and really admired the shade. Though you really liked the vento, VW simply didn't deserve your business.
Thanks a lot. I had decided on the Vento but things didn't go as planned. and Sunny did suit our needs better. Anyways all I can say is my next car will surely be a german .

Quote:
- Standardization of road tax
- Additional tax/excise duty for diesel cars

I beleive minimum RTO standard is going to be 6% of ex-showroom cost across the country and the individual states can add on top of it.
I had no idea about the point number 1 in your post. That is news to me. The dealer clearly mentioned excise duty hike of 6% on diesel cars though.
If the road tax gets standardized then people in places like Chandigarh and Uttarakhand will have to bear the maximum brunt since they will have an increase both ways whereas for people in bangalore the car's OTR cost will come down from what it is today thereby making the whole process of excise hike redundant. I am really not sure states like Karnataka will allow this to happen since they will lose revenue. Also the States have there own budget right and the centre cannot impose this on them as far as I know.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:35   #118
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, this news was there on all the newspapers a few days back. Little bit of googling threw up this page - Uniform road tax across India.

Uniform Road Tax and Registration Rates Across India Proposed

The catch is the minimum tax is 6% and the individual states can add on top of it as per the prevailing rates. So, while the places where RTO is less than 6% will be increased to a minimum of 6%, there wouldnt be any reduction in states where the rates are already over 6%.

Quote:

I had no idea about the point number 1 in your post. That is news to me. The dealer clearly mentioned excise duty hike of 6% on diesel cars though.
If the road tax gets standardized then people in places like Chandigarh and Uttarakhand will have to bear the maximum brunt since they will have an increase both ways whereas for people in bangalore the car's OTR cost will come down from what it is today thereby making the whole process of excise hike redundant. I am really not sure states like Karnataka will allow this to happen since they will lose revenue. Also the States have there own budget right and the centre cannot impose this on them as far as I know.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:53   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

The catch is the minimum tax is 6% and the individual states can add on top of it as per the prevailing rates. So, while the places where RTO is less than 6% will be increased to a minimum of 6%, there wouldnt be any reduction in states where the rates are already over 6%.
Oh in that case I am glad I would be buying it before the budget. Delhi already charges 9% approx as road tax for vehicles costing less then 10L.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:52   #120
BHPian

As far as I know the hike in excise duty will be applicable for cars with 1600 CC or higher. Sunny D being 1.5 L will most probably not be affected.

Moreover if you get the delivery by end of March no tension at all.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed