Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2006, 04:26   #1
BHPian

Replacement for my Corsa- Aveo/Fiesta/Elantra?

My first car (still is) a Opel Cors 1.4 Gsi. I bought it in 2003 and have had a great time with it having drivien it over 50K kms all across (almost) the country.

The car is still in perfect shape (minnor rattles and nags apart) but I think it is time to move on to a newer one now.

I don't have a fixed budget in mind though somewhere in the vicinity of 6-7L is what I was looking at...

Parameters important to me in order of importance:

Good ride quality: Given my 2.5 yrs with a Corsa, I can't go back to a car that shudders over every teeny-weeny pothole

Composed ride and Good handling: On the Corsa, 120 kmph feels like 90 instead of the other way round on some other cars..The handling isn't all that great, but at least it is a very well-composed car..Would prefer something equal if not better

Decent space (At least in the front): I am single and live alone, rear seat space doesn't really matter much to me, but the front seat space in the Corsa feels a little cramped (esp. the notorious front footwell)

Moderately peppy performance: Have outgrown my boy-racing days , yet do not mind an occasional zoom-off-the-red-light style drive..The Corsa lacks a bit (not much though) on this front

FE: But of course ..The Corsa gave me 12-13 in Delhi, 10 in Chennai and 15+ on highways...looking for something comparable

So when I looked around, i saw the following options:

Chevy Aveo and the Ford Fiesta....
What also caught my eye is the Elantra GT with a ex-showroom tag of 6.83L

The Chevy seemed to be a no brainer till I saw this price cut ....

I haven't test-driven a Aveo or an Elantra yet, and being out of Chennai currently, I unfortunately can't do that that right away either....

What do you folks suggest?
Old 22nd March 2006, 05:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Forget 12-13 FE with Elantra GT. I feel that you should go in for Aveo, you might get loyality bonus for owning a Corsa. Elantra wont give more than 6-7 FE. With Fiesta with your budget you would most probably end up getting 1.4 model, which is not peppy at all, so I suggest Aveo base model, it has 94 ps. And since you already own Opel you probably know the A.S.S etc.
Old 22nd March 2006, 08:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

In your budget you can get Aveo 1.4LS
Since you are already a GM customer you can get pretty good deal.

Aveo is the clear winner out of these three based on your selection criteria.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:19   #4
BHPian

i fully agrees with Aseem.
the reasons he mentioned should be enough to go for Aveo.

moreover, the ride-quality you are used to will be available only in Aveo and not in Fiesta or Elantra.
Aveo feels much better planted on road and doesnot loses its composure easily over bar surface. fiesta and elantra are for smooth surface, anyting uneven and they tends to pass all the vibrations to your spine!

so just go for the Aveo, you won't be disappointed.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:32   #5
BHPian

the aveo it should be for you - its more like a corsa with a slightly peppier and FE engine and a lot more space - go take a TD, you'll like it ..

unless you are really picky about the FE, the elantra should be a great deal too ..
Old 22nd March 2006, 13:42   #6
BHPian

I would suggest that you go for the Aveo merely bcoz its looks are stunning (inside specially) and you can avail the 50K loyalty benefit since you already own a Corsa.

Otherwise i dont think the handling of Aveo (Korean car) would be as good as Corsa (German car).

If i had a Corsa i would have definitely availed this 50K discount and the car looks somewhat promising ... atleast more than the Fiesta.

BTW -- i need your help here ... what are GM's maintenance expenses like ... please if you can share your service experience of Corsa in detail as i also considering buying Aveo.

Cheers.
Old 22nd March 2006, 13:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Corsa (German car)

I'd suggest a Fiesta TDCi (50000 kms in 2.5yrs is too high).
Old 22nd March 2006, 14:51   #8
BHPian

Looks like the Aveo has found takers in the forum even before hitting the roads mainstream. However, feedback from Fiesta owners available in the forum suggest that its a good buy in the price band. Guess in chennai the ford A.S.S is better than the GM A.S.S ( atleast thats what used to be when i was there ), and given your mileage the TDCi should be a good fit unless and until you are a petrol head.

cheers

Last edited by mnemonic : 22nd March 2006 at 14:53.
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
Otherwise i dont think the handling of Aveo (Korean car) would be as good as Corsa (German car).
I thought Corsa was a Brazilian car ..
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
I thought Corsa was a Brazilian car ..
-----------------------------------------------------------

OPEL is a German company owned by GM.
Also recollect the ads from GM for Opel cars saying GERMAN ENGINEERING.

Cheers.
Old 22nd March 2006, 20:49   #11
BHPian

Is aveo a korean car???

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
I would suggest that you go for the Aveo merely bcoz its looks are stunning (inside specially) and you can avail the 50K loyalty benefit since you already own a Corsa.

If i had a Corsa i would have definitely availed this 50K discount and the car looks somewhat promising ... atleast more than the Fiesta.

BTW -- i need your help here ... what are GM's maintenance expenses like ... please if you can share your service experience of Corsa in detail as i also considering buying Aveo.

Cheers.
Old 22nd March 2006, 20:52   #12
BHPian

guys is loyality given every where my friend owns a corsa but he says he has not recieved any letter like that .
Old 22nd March 2006, 21:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_t3
Is aveo a korean car???
Hi Venkatesh !!

Aveo is actually a Daewoo car ... called Daewoo Karlos.

Similarly Optra is a Daewoo Nuburia so you see they both are Korean cars christened as Chevy in India by none other than General Motors.

Actually if you read your papers well you might now that Daewoo was acquired by GM after Daewoo went bankrupt.
Old 22nd March 2006, 21:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

Namit, it seems your only thoughts on a car are where the brand is based!! Suggest you read up a bit more on the various brands and models!! I think you need to look beyond the marketing hype and try out the cars themselves!
Old 23rd March 2006, 01:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The Corsa's maintenance was surprisingly low contrary to what the general perception is...
Apart from the fact that the car really needs hi-octane gas (speed/premium/normal+additive or else it runs sluggish), i didn't spend too much on maintenance

The car neeeded two major repairs in the last 2.5 yrs that I have owned it...

One after an accident (a side collision with a tupid taxi (amby) where my front bumper, right headlight and right fender were replaced..the total cost was 3K for the clear headlamp set, 3K for the raw fender, 3K for the raw bumper and 5-6 K for the bumper/fender paint job and labors)

2nd was the clutch plate/pressure plate assembly replacement at 44K kms which was around 12K IIRC...(Do bear in mind that I have driven the car in the hills a lot)

However, this doesn't mean that the Aveo maintenance/spairs would be reasonably priced as we do not really know the level of indigenisation of the parts as yet....

Quote:
and you can avail the 50K loyalty benefit since you already own a Corsa.
I am not planning to exchange/sell the Corsa..Can i still claim the loyalty bonus?

Quote:
my friend owns a corsa but he says he has not recieved any letter like that
I have not received any such letter (perhaps coz I bought the car in Gurgaon and I am in Chennai now..the dealer there would still have my Gurgaon address)

Last edited by abhi182 : 23rd March 2006 at 01:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks