City VTec 23 26.44%
Lancer 8 9.20%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2006, 19:58   #1
BHPian

Cheapest to maintain

hi guys!

still searching which car 2 buy so the choice will mainly b affected by the maintenance cost. i wish 2 buy a 2002-3 model from one of the mentioned cars, pls give ur suggestions.

BTW i heard that the mitsubishi has lowered the spare part cost by 65% is that true?
Old 31st March 2006, 20:04   #2
BANNED

You're right about Mitsu Lancer spare prices falling. The car is now pretty easy on the pocket when it comes to maintenance. Why don't you get a copy of the spare parts price lists of all three cars and decide for yourself.
Old 31st March 2006, 20:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Surely a maruti will be cheaper to maintain than a honda or a mitsu
Old 31st March 2006, 22:34   #4
BHPian

maruti spares are cheaper any day....
but also look at which car is the most trouble free car...

most cars whose spares might be expensive on the contrary their spares last longer...
Old 31st March 2006, 22:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Baleno followed by Lancer followed by OHC Vtec.

Please note that the Baleno will probably never go out of production, going by MUL's record. Or not soon enough to affect prices. The Lancer is also still sold, while the Vtec is not.

The Baleno wins on all internal parts. All cosmetic parts are very expensive, since they are SGA, made in Japan.
Old 1st April 2006, 05:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would say its better you go to their respective workshops and ask for the prices of major spares. Its a different story on how many times does a person needs a replacement.

I have a 2003 lancer. Never has any part needed replacement nor any major defect found.
Old 1st April 2006, 13:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I have a 2003 lancer. Never has any part needed replacement nor any major defect found.
That is a very important factor in addition to the cost of spares. If the car comes with very good quality parts, which have longer life and fewer defects and hence do not need to be replaced very often. But that quality, of course, will come at a price, and that need not scare one off.

Thus, one should also take a look at the defect record of a particular car or a company - eg. Honda scores the highest among least number of defects found in their products, and the NHC beats the competition by far in this front.
(ps - thats why my vote goes to honda here)

But, all said and done, if you end up damaging any part by means of an accident, you will get to face the full brunt of the spares cost, which is something which should scare people off.
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:47   #8
BHPian

Maruti is synonymous for low maintenance
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:56   #9
BHPian

hey,

i totally agree that maruti is the easiest to maintain but it is also true that maruti has the maximum amount of problems after 2 - 3 yrs. hence even though spares are cheap, work is usually required. in honda's case there are no specific problems as the built quality is awesome, however it comes to be expensive if u happen to encounter a problem....which is very rare.

cheez

ps- my opinion is entirely based on my experience as i have owned both the maruti and the honda. however i apologise if i happen to differ wit anyone....
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:00   #10
BHPian

maruti's quality is way better than any other company in india .its wide customer base and largest number of service centres plus cheap parts make its car to maintain very cheap
Old 3rd April 2006, 16:41   #11
BHPian

Baleno would be a lot cheaper than honda-vtec to buy.

But the TCO of honda-vtec might be cheaper.

Now honda-parts will have longer life than Baleno-parts. If you just compare part v/s part for honda and baleno, baleno might be cheaper, but what really matters is how many parts will you really need to change while u keep the car. I have heard from friends who own honda city, that its absolutely no problems car. [unless you meet with accident and for some electrical/glass/plastic components where you have to shell can become a burden].
Old 3rd April 2006, 17:20   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Honda City Vtec is cheaper to maintain and service than a Maruti 800....the Baleno is entirely out of the picture. Check on Ajmats threads where he has mentioned the service costs of his Vtec versus his wifes 800.

I am in current ownership of a Vtec, which has covered 35000 kms WITHOUT even a bulb gone wrong. And have paid an average of <1000 rupees for every service. I have also owned a Lancer for 1,00,000 kms and it is not a cheap car to own from any angle.

Its the Vtec. Undisputedly.

GTO
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Vtec!!... Maruthi - by personal experience - is a steady drain after a point - the song "Shake-Rattle "n Roll" comes to mind! ...Will bleed you slowly - but steadily! ... And the Lancer - .... well ... ALL THE BEST!

Last edited by kb100 : 3rd April 2006 at 21:53.
Old 3rd April 2006, 22:01   #14
BHPian

Baleno for sure, its a Maruthi product and as we all know the parts for any Maruthi car is cheap and moreover the no of service centers..u find a maruthi workshop almpost anywhere and everywhere !!
Old 4th April 2006, 10:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The Honda City Vtec is cheaper to maintain and service than a Maruti 800....the Baleno is entirely out of the picture. Check on Ajmats threads where he has mentioned the service costs of his Vtec versus his wifes 800.

GTO
A friend of mine owns a Honda 1.3, 99 model done around 60k kms. He has problems with silencer of the car & he was asked to replace the entire unit to get the sound arrested for which he was quoted Rs.30,000/-. Later we got it done outside for Rs.10k (Including few pending dents and other stuffs)

Our company maintainted car Honda 1.5 Exi, 40000 kms service costed somewhere around Rs.8000/-. Infact I had attached the bill in one of my threads & Shan2u explained that few unnecessary items were added to the bill.

Another friend of mine city has done 1L kms & he was given an estimate of Rs.25000/- for carrying out the service.

Also I remember Ajmat quoting that HONDA is very easy to maintain unless you get into any accidents

Iam not trying to position that maintaining a HONDA is very expensive (i dont own one). Just thought of sharing few things that I come across

Also we had very very bad experience in maintaining LANCER. devashri had explained that problem is with ACT INDIA.

Even if dealers take for a ride, it reflects badly on the company either HONDA or LANCER

Last edited by Surprise : 4th April 2006 at 10:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks