Team-BHP - Suggest me, Elantra CRDi or Elantra GLS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Suggest me, Elantra CRDi or Elantra GLS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/12021-suggest-me-elantra-crdi-elantra-gls.html)

I am planning to buy either Elantra CRDi or GLS and would like to make my decisions based on comfort and fuel efficiency. For a usage of about 15-20K kilometers per year what would be the recommendation.

Are there any concerns with the possiblity of Elantra production stopping in the short term to make way for the Verna and/or other models that will affect the availability of spares and support from Hyundai?

i would say go for CRDi.
reason it one of the best in its class...
i heard it gives a FE of 15Kmpl...correct me if i am Wrong...

cdri is the answer if you are looking at economy in the long run. gr8 engine too it seems

petrol is more for enthusiasts and those who dont really drive long distances.

crdi isnt much behind petrol though but it depends whether you need a diesel or not.

I would say try it out if you have never owned a diesel. People have had good experiences and you wont be an exception.

but I may personally buy a petrol just for the heck of it.

go for the crdi it is one of the best in its category

I have heard that Petrol Elantra gives poor F.E, And if u have a budget that includes the CRDI why are u still thinking ;)

I am primarily concerned about the possibility of Diesel version having excessive vibration and engine noise after the first few months of use. I am looking for any comments on the Diesel performance.

CRDi is a wonderful technology but its very prone to adultrated fuel. it cant take adultrated fuel with the ease of regular cars hence if u not careful u might ruin the whole engine. nothing personal against CRDi, i myself was considering it sometime back. pls correct me if i m wrong guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmraj
I am primarily concerned about the possibility of Diesel version having excessive vibration and engine noise after the first few months of use. I am looking for any comments on the Diesel performance.

Quite a few of my friends own Hyundai CRDis (either Accent or Elantra) and many of them are long-distance lovers like me. To the best of my knowledge none of them have had issues after 55, 70 and in one case 100+ k kms. It doesnt seem any different from other diesels in that respect.

As for fuel - yes the common rail engines are more sensitive to bad fuel, but a tankful of good fuel normally gets them back to their smiling selves again.

Can some Elantra owners please post real world fuel economy figures for both the models. I have read somewhere on this forum itself and Elantra Petrol gives a mileage of about 7KMPL in the city conditions. If so, it appears to be very low compared to other cars in its segment.

-Sumit

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84
petrol is more for enthusiasts and those who dont really drive long distances.

If he can spend some money on a Pete's box, I think Elantra CRDI could easily be an enthusiast's car. Of course, I have never driven an Elantra.. much less one with Pete's box. so its all guess work purely based on bhp and acceleration figures.

CRDI all the way dude!! it really rocks..Dont think elantra petrol has any good technology under its hood.

If someone can confirm that the FE of GLS is at least 9 kmpl, I am probably going to like GLS.

While CRDi seems to be a good technology, can you please point me to the driving confront, vibration and noise levels of CRDi w.r.t. GLS.

I can live with a milage of 9+ but certainly not 6-7kmpl for petrol. I will go for my decision early next week.

hey i have an elantra GLS-its been really nice,has not givenme even one problem till now(and hope it never does) its comfortable to drive,it has good response,and to top it up it is giving me a mileage of 10-11.so i would suggest you go in for the gls if you are not too keen on the crdi

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmraj
If someone can confirm that the FE of GLS is at least 9 kmpl, I am probably going to like GLS.

While CRDi seems to be a good technology, can you please point me to the driving confront, vibration and noise levels of CRDi w.r.t. GLS.

I can live with a milage of 9+ but certainly not 6-7kmpl for petrol. I will go for my decision early next week.

Out of curiousity - have you test driven both vehicles? I've never driven a GLS, but that CRDi engine absolutely rocks. It pulls like one of those large-capacity american cars - the torque is amazing. Try it.