Old 16th July 2012, 09:09   #61

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
@ModifiedSachin : Good to find someone sharing the same idea about the Linea.
You got the 10.7L car at 9.41L, a discount of 1.3L, or there is something else which is missing from the post.

Sachin congrats for your new Linea.
I am writing a complete post for my buying experience & in my previous posts (In I booked a car) I mentioned it but forgot here, my old accent (run 106045 km, 3rd owner) was taken at 70000 and a 30000 exchange bonus so 1L amounted to that and rest 30K was pure my wife's skills.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:25   #62

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

The newly launched Ford Classic Titanium seems like a sensible option. The Titanium model costs 7.82 lacs (ex-showroom Delhi) which is quite a reasonable price compared to the competition, considering the features. Ford A.S.S. is not too good nor too bad. Ford spares are getting cheaper compared to yester years. I like it!
Old 17th July 2012, 12:47   #63

Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The newly launched Ford Classic Titanium seems like a sensible option. The Titanium model costs 7.82 lacs (ex-showroom Delhi) which is quite a reasonable price compared to the competition, considering the features. Ford A.S.S. is not too good nor too bad. Ford spares are getting cheaper compared to yester years. I like it!
^ Let's not forget Classic now is positioned a segment below. Apart from being dated, the Classic is more cramped, less premium and weaker than cars being discussed in this thread.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:36   #64

Originally Posted by funda2max View Post

Did Sunny diesel test drive yesterday and found to be inspiring, easy drive characters. I am little concerned about it's gear shift though. Sunny users, Can you please share experiences? This is the only concern for me about Sunny.
Booked Sunny diesel XV yesterday. Top end has all the required features what i was looking for (Alloy wheel, Push button start, good interiors, etc...).

Hope to get the vehicle delivered by next week... Color chosen at present is White, may change to Bronze Grey depends upon family opinion.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:55   #65

Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^ Let's not forget Classic now is positioned a segment below. Apart from being dated, the Classic is more cramped, less premium and weaker than cars being discussed in this thread.
I dont get your point anshuman. As per the thread title, we have 'Others' category. Could you please elaborate which cars fall under this others category?

I just browsed through this thread and found people mentioning ETIOS too. How does Etios belong to this thread then?

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 17th July 2012 at 13:59.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:04   #66

I dont get your point anshuman. As per the thread title, we have 'Others' category. Could you please elaborate which cars fall under this others category?
Classic belongs to C1 segment while others discussed here fall into C2. Verna, Vento, new Fiesta and others are positioned slightly higher than the Classic. My point is Classic feels is a segment lower than others here. Though there is no harm in discussing it here.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:13   #67

Classic belongs to C1 segment while others discussed here fall into C2. Verna, Vento, new Fiesta and others are positioned slightly higher than the Classic. My point is Classic feels is a segment lower than others here. Though there is no harm in discussing it here.
Thanks for the clarification anshuman. I agree that Classic feels a tad segment lower than the others. But my point was when someone is buying a 10 lacs worth car, he or she should also explore other options before finalizing. How knows what a person might like or does not like. My intention was to make the readers aware of all options.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:10   #68

Hi All
Just saw this thread yesterday and was thrilled about it. Well I too am in the market for a ~10 Lakh car.
My requirements are as below
1. Comfortable back seats for 1 adult +1 Kid. My wife and kid use the back seat a lot. The hump in the middle is not a big factor
2. Diesel only
3. Good Handling and Pick up. A drivers car (I am upgrading from a Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport so want to have a similar if not better driving experience)
4. Leather/Art leather seats. (Car gets dirty a lot and it is just easy to clean)
5. ABS, Steering Mounted radio and ACC, Central locking are a must. Reverse park assist would be good.
6. No Fiat as I am planning to keep my red beauty (Can’t bring myself to sell it)
Below are the vehicles I test drove till now
Hyundai Verna: This looked like it fit my requirements. But I felt the suspension was really poor and the steering had some play (This could be an issue with the Vehicle I drove). The pick-up was decent but on highway it was a bit too scary for me. I felt we were seated really low and the body roll was a big put off for me.
Skoda Rapid: Overall a solid Car. But even the top end version did not have all the goodies (Steering mounted controls, Reverse Park assist, Leather/Leatherette seats, USB). I felt Pickup was not as good as my palio but overall a fun car to drive.
I was not even looking at the Vento since it was similar to a Skoda and more expensive. Made a call to the dealership just to see the offers available and he told me that from 2012 the Highline had more goodies than the 2011 model. It ticked all my requirements and he said he would give me great corporate discount that makes the Vento about 50K more than the Skoda after going for leatherette seats. Going to take the TD tomorrow and will update
Am also taking the TD for the Ford Fiesta but the reviews of the back seat deter me
Any other cars I am missing/should consider?
Old 18th July 2012, 14:35   #69

Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi All
Just saw this thread yesterday and was thrilled about it. Well I too am in the market for a ~10 Lakh car.
1. Comfortable back seats for 1 adult +1 Kid. My wife and kid use the back seat a lot. The hump in the middle is not a big factor
2. Diesel only
Few more sedans in this range:
1) Linea MJD Emotion
2) Nissan Sunny XV-D (Most comfortable rear seat of all sedans)
3) SX4 ZDi
4) Optra Magnum
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 14:38   #70

Hi All
2. Diesel only
3. Good Handling and Pick up. A drivers car (I am upgrading from a Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport so want to have a similar if not better driving experience)
4. Leather/Art leather seats. (Car gets dirty a lot and it is just easy to clean)
5. ABS, Steering Mounted radio and ACC, Central locking are a must. Reverse park assist would be good.
6. No Fiat as I am planning to keep my red beauty (Can’t bring myself to sell it)
Below are the vehicles I test drove till now
Hyundai Verna: This looked like it fit my requirements. But I felt the suspension was really poor and the steering had some play (This could be an issue with the Vehicle I drove). The pick-up was decent but on highway it was a bit too scary for me. I felt we were seated really low and the body roll was a big put off for me.
Skoda Rapid: Overall a solid Car. But even the top end version did not have all the goodies (Steering mounted controls, Reverse Park assist, Leather/Leatherette seats, USB). I felt Pickup was not as good as my palio but overall a fun car to drive.
I was not even looking at the Vento since it was similar to a Skoda and more expensive. Made a call to the dealership just to see the offers available and he told me that from 2012 the Highline had more goodies than the 2011 model. It ticked all my requirements and he said he would give me great corporate discount that makes the Vento about 50K more than the Skoda after going for leatherette seats. Going to take the TD tomorrow and will update
Am also taking the TD for the Ford Fiesta but the reviews of the back seat deter me
^ Parked in the showroom Verna looks like a winner, everything from looks, equipment, quality and specs look top notch. Out on the road the dynamics and lack of any driving involvement makes it unappealing for us enthusiasts.

Fiesta on the other end has Ride, Handling and Steering leagues ahead of competition but the dull engines and pricing pull it down.

Unlike the contrasting cars above Rapid and Vento strike a good balance between dynamics and performance. The engine may sound a little crude compared to super silent Verna and new Fiesta but coupled with just the right gearing it performs on the road. Road manners are good enough if not excellent. My sole grouse with Vento/Rapid is that they are not as well built as more expensive VW/Skoda cars, nor they feel as premium as they should.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:40   #71

Hi All
In this segment, you probably can't beat Fiat in handling. Neither the Vento, nor the Rapid, nor the Verna are drivers cars. The Verna specifically has a poor 'feel'. (This is my personal opinion only).

The two cars in this segment which are fun to drive are the City (which you cant do because you want Diesel) or the Fiat (which you dont want to do because of your current car)

The Verna's EPS is very flimsy. But it is more of a 'features' car. Also, aftersales support is likely to be better than Skoda.

The Rapid (or the Vento for that matter) feels more solid and the steering feels 'true'. Is likely to feel better to drive in - but you'll miss a lot of features that you'll find in the Verna.

Since you have removed two of my favorite cars and the only two that check all other boxes from your consideration set, you'll have to sacrifice features+a.s.s or drivability.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 14:47   #72

The top-end Linea should have all the comfort features you listed (probably the most loaded in the segment). Do Check out the Vento and Fiesta as well (the top end surely will be above the 10lakhs mark).
And as Ajay mentioned above, the Sunny is another option you can look at.

Few more sedans in this range:
4) Optra Magnum
Is the Optra still around? I thought its already discontinued.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:49   #73

Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
In this segment, you probably can't beat Fiat in handling. Neither the Vento, nor the Rapid, nor the Verna are drivers cars.

The two cars in this segment which are fun to drive are the City (which you cant do because you want Diesel) or the Fiat (which you dont want to do because of your current car)
I guess you haven't driven the current handling champion- New Ford Fiesta. But both Linea and Fiesta are weak enough to be real fun to drive cars.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 14:50   #74

The top-end Linea should have all the comfort features you listed (probably the most loaded in the segment). Do Check out the Vento and Fiesta as well (the top end surely will be above the 10lakhs mark).
And as Ajay mentioned above, the Sunny is another option you can look at.

Is the Optra still around? I thought its already discontinued.

Yes, the Optra is still very much around. Technically, the best choice in the ~10 lac range, but marred only by the dated looks(subjective) and doubtful future. Who else gives a car with 2.0 liter engine at 10 lacs on road?
Old 18th July 2012, 14:52   #75

I guess you haven't driven the current handling champion- New Ford Fiesta. But both Linea and Fiesta are weak enough to be real fun to drive cars.
You're right, I haven't. No one I know has got one!