Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2006, 17:43   #31
BHPian

Team-bhp is really an eye opener! I never thought that NHC spares are cheaper than Baleno's!

Rs 15,000+ for fog lamps??? I rather tie a lantern in the front

Also, in other threads I read that Skoda mirrors cost Rs 14,000 and you can't buy a single piece!

Dude, with these prices of fog lamp and mirror, one can buy a whole used M800
Old 17th April 2006, 17:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
I rather tie a lantern in the front
absolutely OT - haha !! for all you know even they'll be selling only by the dozen !!!

right back to the topic ...
Old 17th April 2006, 17:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
hmmm ... but if it were due to the levelling device , then shouldn't it be all the EURO III models rather than 2006 models ?
True. My pre-2006 Baleno also has the headlight levelling device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
I think I'll fix some SUV style rods upfront and grills for the tail lamps !!
And given the way the rear looks, nothing you do can make it any more worse.

OT : Shuvc, your signature is apt. I mean, after owning the car now for 1 year, I have actually started liking it's rear looks. I don't really feel the need to modify it anymore - the odd look does have an attitude. Infact, my wife who was against buying the Baleno due to its ugly looking rear, now says that the rear looks great. Infact she said that the Baleno looks better than the Optra (we have one in our apartment complex). OK, Rudra sir, Busa et al, don't come after me for this - I am innocent.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th April 2006 at 17:54.
Old 18th April 2006, 11:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Team-bhp is really an eye opener! I never thought that NHC spares are cheaper than Baleno's!

Rs 15,000+ for fog lamps??? I rather tie a lantern in the front

Also, in other threads I read that Skoda mirrors cost Rs 14,000 and you can't buy a single piece!

Dude, with these prices of fog lamp and mirror, one can buy a whole used M800

Team-BHP is an eye-opener indeed !!

Before coming here i never knew that Baleno had the Best AC, Best Seats, Best suspensions.

Now slowly after spending time here also figured out the real problems of Baleno (ugly looks is just one of the problem which all of us know)

+ Poor city FE due to tall gearing
+ Most expensive spares curtosy SGA/SGP

NHC spares being the cheapest was very surprising and to top it Baleno was the most expensive

Maruti guys, are you reading this?? comon address these problems.

Last edited by venkatrx : 18th April 2006 at 11:54.
Old 18th April 2006, 12:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Now slowly after spending time here also figured out the real problems of Baleno (ugly looks is just one of the problem which all of us know)
Hey venkat, hold on. Based on your research on spares, I can understand your coming to the conclusion that Baleno spares are costly (though we still have the huge difference between the pre-2006 Baleno spares and the 2006 Baleno spares issue to sort out). The price of pre-2006 Baleno spares when compared to other cars is pretty OK.
However, I don't understand how the poor FE tag came along.
I mean, see the following figures :
In Chennai traffic, I get 12kmpl with AC on always. Highways, I get 16kmpl, again with AC on (and this is while driving at max speed that the road conditions permit).
v1p3r and mclaren1885 get around 13-15kmpl in B'lore (they might be using nil or minimal AC).
People I know have Accent, Ikon, Corsa and Optra1.6 and the city FEs (with AC) that they reported are 10, 10, 10 and 8 respectively. As per Suman, his Fiesta1.6 gives around 11.5-12.
How come you came to the conclusion that Baleno has poor FE. The only car that I know of in this segment that gives better FE by a km or so per litre is the NHC.
Old 18th April 2006, 12:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
In Chennai traffic, I get 12kmpl with AC on always. Highways, I get 16kmpl, again with AC on (and this is while driving at max speed that the road conditions permit).
v1p3r and mclaren1885 get around 13-15kmpl in B'lore (they might be using nil or minimal AC).
People I know have Accent, Ikon, Corsa and Optra1.6 and the city FEs (with AC) that they reported are 10, 10, 10 and 8 respectively. As per Suman, his Fiesta1.6 gives around 11.5-12.
How come you came to the conclusion that Baleno has poor FE. The only car that I know of in this segment that gives better FE by a km or so per litre is the NHC.
Hi Supreme,

10 kmpl in city driving i would be very happy i was told by the maruti-sales guys to expect 11.5 kmpl in bangalore city bumper to bumper traffic with full-ac.

my highway FE is 15kmpl with full-ac which is perfect. For city though i have got the FE around 8 kmpl If 15kmpl is true for highway, the only way my car can give 8 kmpl in city is only if the car is very efficient in 4/5 gears and very inefficient in 1/2/3 gears.

BTW my conclusion is not "BAleno has poor FE" rather its "BAleno has poor city FE". For a sedan like Baleno 15 kmpl with full-ac on highway is a great FE.
Old 18th April 2006, 12:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

OK, I missed the "city" part in your FE comment.
I find it surprising that you get 15 on highways and 8 in city - the variation is too high. Measuring a car's FE accurately is pretty tricky and prone to errors unlike what we do on bikes, where we have the reserve option which makes things simpler. I would suggest you ask the MASS guys to do a proper FE test (using known quantity of petrol) on your car under normal city usage conditions. This should solve the riddle.
Old 18th April 2006, 13:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
OK, I missed the "city" part in your FE comment.
I find it surprising that you get 15 on highways and 8 in city - the variation is too high. Measuring a car's FE accurately is pretty tricky and prone to errors unlike what we do on bikes, where we have the reserve option which makes things simpler. I would suggest you ask the MASS guys to do a proper FE test (using known quantity of petrol) on your car under normal city usage conditions. This should solve the riddle.
Hi Supreme, sorry i went lets get back to why Baleno has so many SGA/SGP?

Possibilities.

1. Maruti plans to stop Baleno's production hence not trying to produce spares in india

2. Suzuki in japan has lot of Baleno spares in its inventory and trying to push it off. Until that inventory gets exhausted Maruti wont produce them here.
Old 18th April 2006, 21:07   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Team-BHP is an eye-opener indeed !!

Before coming here i never knew that Baleno had the Best AC, Best Seats, Best suspensions.

NHC spares being the cheapest was very surprising and to top it Baleno was the most expensive

Maruti guys, are you reading this?? comon address these problems.
Venkat we all know how good our mags and a few websites are with their info .. The headlamps of the BS III balenos are expensive because they had to incorporate the Head Lamp Levelling Device according to the latest rules .. So it could be a typo that this is present only in the 2006 models .. And once the headlamp assembly brakes the HLLD mechanism is prone to damage and hence the heavy costs .. This if incorporated in other newer cars should be equally expensive too .. NHC , fiesta owners can u confirm this about the presence of HLLD and the costing ??

Also i would like to confirm that STANLEY is/was the official spares supplier to HONDA and Baleno which makes fog lamps which are expensive .. OHC VTEC fogs used to cost 18k and i never saw anyone complain ?? Did we ?? Even the spoilers are made by stanley only .. Check the make on the brake light on the spoilers of both the baleno and the OHC and u will notice this .. Its not that the baleno spares alone are expensive , it basically boils down to which company they are getting the spares from ?? Also if the costs of a particulare spare comes down , what about quality ?? Will it be the same ?? I dont think so ?? So now tell me if its worth the price ?? Also the quality of the packing on the SGA parts itself is phenominal , just imagine the quality of the parts ?? I have personally compared both SGA and MGA parts for the baleno but there is a world of a difference between the two ..

And venkat the tall gearing of the baleno doesnt affect the FE in city to the extent that ur describing it .. Even on track days i get a mileage of 6-8 kmpl where we maintain 95 km/hr average speed per lap over an entire day with hitting top speeds of over 140 on the main straight and a few really quick corners too .. This basically has got to be a problem with either ur car or ur driving style .. I suggest u get ur car checked once properly at MASS ..

Also , i just bought all the spares for my car after the accident .. The entire work cost me not more than 20k , i shall upload the pics soon .. U will be shocked to see the extent of damage and even more to see that all work was done under 20k .. So where does the question of costly spares come from ?? Every car has its own pros and cons .. If the headlamps and fog lamps on a baleno are expensive , then there certainly will be some parts on the NHC , fiesta etc which will be equally more expensive than the baleno .. It basically boils down to a companies marketting strategy ..

Hope i made some sense .. If not , then forgive me ..
Old 18th April 2006, 22:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Its not that the baleno spares alone are expensive , it basically boils down to which company they are getting the spares from ?? Also if the costs of a particulare spare comes down , what about quality ?? Will it be the same ?? I dont think so ?? So now tell me if its worth the price ?? Also the quality of the packing on the SGA parts itself is phenominal , just imagine the quality of the parts ?? I have personally compared both SGA and MGA parts for the baleno but there is a world of a difference between the two ..
McLaren, this time you do sound like Baleno brand ambassador Common, when people were cribbing about high Merc costs or Skoda costs, no one talked about quality of parts etc. Why do we talk about it when it comes to Baleno? Why not just accept that parts are expensive and leave it at that?

If parts for other cars are expensive, you say maintenance is too high and if parts of Baleno are high, you say (not in literal sense) they are good quality. Tsk, tsk!
Old 18th April 2006, 22:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Supreme,

10 kmpl in city driving i would be very happy i was told by the maruti-sales guys to expect 11.5 kmpl in bangalore city bumper to bumper traffic with full-ac.

my highway FE is 15kmpl with full-ac which is perfect. For city though i have got the FE around 8 kmpl If 15kmpl is true for highway, the only way my car can give 8 kmpl in city is only if the car is very efficient in 4/5 gears and very inefficient in 1/2/3 gears.

BTW my conclusion is not "BAleno has poor FE" rather its "BAleno has poor city FE". For a sedan like Baleno 15 kmpl with full-ac on highway is a great FE.
here u state u get 9.3 kmpl in city post 97
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ievable-7.html

here u get a reason for low fe in city post 101

but still i think u should get ur car checked bcoz my cousin get above 10.5 kmpl in tvm city with ac on all time.he is a sort of guy who revs a lot in 2nd gear if road permits & still he gets above 10kmpl.
hope u should get ur car checked
Old 19th April 2006, 10:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
here u state u get 9.3 kmpl in city post 97

here u get a reason for low fe in city post 101

but still i think u should get ur car checked bcoz my cousin get above 10.5 kmpl in tvm city with ac on all time.he is a sort of guy who revs a lot in 2nd gear if road permits & still he gets above 10kmpl.
hope u should get ur car checked
Hi Hari_rama,

this i posted on 22nd march, when i had checked the city / highway FE for the first time. I had got 9.3

Now I have posted 8 kmpl in city ..... this is after i checked my city FE 3 times. (9.3 kmpl, 8.1 kmpl, 7.2 kmpl) So when i posted recently i have taken a simple avg of the above 3 readings so i have mentioned 8 kmpl as my city FE

Anyways as you have suggested and many others, i am going to closly track my FE over the next month and if it is below 10 kmpl i will get it checked with my dealer.

cheers...
Old 19th April 2006, 10:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
McLaren, this time you do sound like Baleno brand ambassador Common, when people were cribbing about high Merc costs or Skoda costs, no one talked about quality of parts etc. Why do we talk about it when it comes to Baleno? Why not just accept that parts are expensive and leave it at that?

If parts for other cars are expensive, you say maintenance is too high and if parts of Baleno are high, you say (not in literal sense) they are good quality. Tsk, tsk!
McLaren, RX135 got it right......you sound like Baleno Country Manager

Even at 9 kmpl (v/s 14 kmpl) of NHC i would still buy a Baleno just for its 'great seating comfort', 'great AC with climate control' [I believe this is what a luxury car is all about].

Now that being said, i would still not be ready to accept the fact that our Maruti having such a great service network and 'low spares' (for most of the cars) how can they charge so exhorbitantly like 33k(baleno) v/s 13 k(NHC) ???
Old 19th April 2006, 12:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Usually I see a lot of arguments between the fans of Fiesta, NHC, Baleno......but with such disparities in 'spares cost' i hardly see any discussion.

Are there any NHC, Fiesta fans in here at all

And what about the Baleno fans themselves, the Baleno is great but no owner would like to get ripped by the exhorbitant costs of the SGA/SGP, so comon guys.....air your views.
I have forwarded this thread to Jagdish Khattar at Maruti.

Pradeep
Old 19th April 2006, 12:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar
I have forwarded this thread to Jagdish Khattar at Maruti.

Pradeep
Hi Pradeep,

whats jagdish khattar's email id?

BTW do you believe that he will respond ??

Please do post his response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks