Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 10:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Skoda Rapid or Used Skoda Laura

I have been in a dilemma ever since my father told me that we need a new sedan in our house and i have been searching for cars around, the running would be above 1500 kms/month so it would be a diesel sedan without any doubt. Our highway run is quite extensive so we need a good solid and safe car which returns good fuel efficience figures.

A little background
Currently have a aging 2006 Scorpio which has clocked 94,000 kms and a 2009 Petrol Linea which has done 34,000 kms and was retrofitted with a sequential cng kit in may. Now this rendered the Linea useless for highway drives with very little boot space left now and we dont take the Scorpio as its without any safety equipment, on top of that the gets uncomfortable for my mother who sits at the back and complains of extremely bumpy ride.

Usage and driving pattern
We need an out and out drivers car, the Linea has the best steering and the best suspension in its class, if it wasnt for the lack of power, we wouldnt have needed a new car.

My father and i drive ourselves so we need a good drivers car which can handle well (not like the scorpio), returns good fuel efficiency and can keep the back benchers satisfied.

The new car will mostly do highway runs and would be rarely used in city traffic, we have the Linea and Scorpio for that so do give your suggestions on that account.
How i pondered upon new Rapid v/s Used Laura

The selection process had begun and the main competitors were :

Hyundai Verna - To be honest, i would have removed this car from my list even before the test drive. The attitude was pathetic, i asked for a TD and was stared as if am asking a Verna for free, i was told "Sir yeh diesel verna hai, people dont take TD, it sells on Hyundai badge".

After the test drive i could relate between a best steering (Linea) and the worst steering(verna). The fit n finish was great but basic fundamentals of a car wrong. OUT.

Skoda Rapid - My friend bought one in March, have done quite a lot of kilometres on it and really love the car. Lacks on interior feel and equipment compared to my 4 yr old car but drive in the city and it comes out with bright colors. Almost zero lag, push the throttle and it jumps forward, steering weighs good, suspension on the stiffer side and i dont have qualms going for a Skoda - with 2+2 yrs warranty, i think i will be safe.

VW Vento - The diesel clatter was significantly higher than Rapid, engines tuned similarly, almost 80% of the car is same. Interiors felt better than Rapid but i dont see msyelf spending 80k more for a Vento, if it was priced similar, i would pick Vento for that beautiful blue shade alone.

Nissan Sunny - Disappointed. The interiors and the engine punch disappointed me a big time. On highways the car would lose breadth easily.

Used Laura - Was pondering on Carwale and found a 2012 Feb Jetta TL TDI 2800 kms going for 14 lakhs, i called the dealer the next day and the car was gone - i was seriously in love with new Jetta.

Have a white Jan 2012 Laura, done 5000 kms with 2+2 Skoda shield, asking price 13.5 L. The car is in immaculate condition, no nicks or dents, would have to do a thorough analysis when i decide about the accident history.

I wouldn't buy any used DSG Laura, thanks to all issues with the autobox so only manual cars.

What to choose
The car would be self driven, used mainly on highways, 30% run in city, good fuel efficiency, back seat occupied by mom and my golden retriever dog wherever we go.

I want to go for a Laura, already have a C segment Linea so need an upgrade, father prefers buying a new car than a used Skoda. He fears for issues or accidental cars being sold around, agree there is a lot of peace of mind with a new car but Laura just rings my bells.

Rapid costs 11 on road Delhi for top model Elegance and Laura is 13.5. We can stretch our budget but would it be a wise decision going for a used Skoda? Can extended warranty and company warranty be claimed by second owner?

Help me out Bhp'ians.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: New Skoda Rapid or Used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

I wouldn't buy any used DSG Laura, thanks to all issues with the autobox so only manual cars.

Have already made up your mind completely about ruling out the DSG ?
Your running is high, you want a driver's car with good feel/features and the works and diesel. The Laura fits the bill perfectly IMO.

About your DSG concerns ,my Laura L&K is just about 3 weeks old now and trust me i had the same concerns as you. Turns out most of the DSG and other issues are with the petrol skodas which have a 7-speed DSG gearbox DIFFERENT from the 6-speed DSG on the diesels.
The sheer brilliance of this box is beyond measure. Plenty of power available in every ratio and its so intuitive its not even funny. It is a hassle free car and it does everything really well. 2+2 Skoda Shield is the icing on the cake IMO.
If you are willing to be convinced ,do TD the DSG Laura and you will have a smile on your face, specially considering your monthly mileage and the reduced related fatigue.
If not, the Laura that you say is available seems to be just fine on paper but please have a thorough check of the car before you take the plunge .
I am sure you are aware of pre-owned Lauras history. Scarier than any horror movie
I would say keep the Rapid as the last choice for its lack of features and outright refinement vis a vis the Laura. NVH levels etc would matter with such a high running and the Laura would make it a lot less toxic in the long run.
Good Luck

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 11th July 2012 at 11:08.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 11:07   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Used Laura - Was pondering on Carwale and found a 2012 Feb Jetta TL TDI 2800 kms going for 14 lakhs, i called the dealer the next day and the car was gone - i was seriously in love with new Jetta.

Have a white Jan 2012 Laura, done 5000 kms with 2+2 Skoda shield, asking price 13.5 L. The car is in immaculate condition, no nicks or dents, would have to do a thorough analysis when i decide about the accident history.

What to choose
The car would be self driven, used mainly on highways, 30% run in city, good fuel efficiency, back seat occupied by mom and my golden retriever dog wherever we go.

I want to go for a Laura, already have a C segment Linea so need an upgrade, father prefers buying a new car than a used Skoda. He fears for issues or accidental cars being sold around, agree there is a lot of peace of mind with a new car but Laura just rings my bells.

Rapid costs 11 on road Delhi for top model Elegance and Laura is 13.5. We can stretch our budget but would it be a wise decision going for a used Skoda? Can extended warranty and company warranty be claimed by second owner?

Help me out Bhp'ians.
Sure you can buy this used Laura. No one unless he is a complete maniac could have shot a car to bits in 5K Kms. Plus the 4 year warranty is there.
Yes it can be transferred to the new owner. Just ensure you do the paperwork properly, transfer the car into your name and make sure the dealer also transfers the Warranty into your name.
The Laura is a nice car and will give you much happiness of the highway. It comes packed with safety kit which you will appreciate. Your mum will be comfy at the back.
The Retriever will be able to stick his/ her behind into the boot space and sleep. I think you can fold the seat 60:40 so that should be cool.
If I were you, I would go with my heart especially when I have the budget available.
A 5K Kms driven car is as good as new. Snap it up before someone else does.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 11:31   #4
BHPian

If the used Laura is so good, why is the owner wanting to sell it off? I would be a bit suspicious if I were you. I agree the 2+2 Shield package should be comforting.

A new car is a new car. But if comfort and equipment levels are priority and budget no concern, the sparingly used Laura might be the good option.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Have already made up your mind completely about ruling out the DSG ?
Your running is high, you want a driver's car with good feel/features and the works and diesel. The Laura fits the bill perfectly IMO.
Congrats on your Laura Platzda Turbo, a DSG Laura that too in the L&K trim is a dream machine of many.
My apprehensions about the DSG are not for new Lauras, with 4 years warranty and very less failure rate of 6 speed DSG it wont matter for a new car but buying a used Laura and that too with a DSG is icing on the horror movie

If i had 19 L to spend, i would have gone for the DSG Laura for the comfort of the AT and the additional 30 bhp over manual transmission but alas 14 L is the limit set by home ministry.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Retriever will be able to stick his/ her behind into the boot space and sleep. I think you can fold the seat 60:40 so that should be cool.
If I were you, I would go with my heart especially when I have the budget available.
A 5K Kms driven car is as good as new. Snap it up before someone else does.
Thanks shankar. To my dismay, the said Laura has been sold , what you mentioned has happened already.

I think it makes sense to wait for a month or two, find a 2012 Laura which has done no more than 4-5k kms and go with my heart than to hurry, buy a Rapid now and regret every time i see a Laura passing by.

The Rapid is a good car no doubt but upgrading to a D segment from a C segment makes more sense IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict
If the used Laura is so good, why is the owner wanting to sell it off? I would be a bit suspicious if I were you. I agree the 2+2 Shield package should be comforting
Well, am suspicious as well and you need to be extra cautious while buying a used car but not every used car low on kms need to have a problem. I have seen friend's selling their cars within 2500-4000 kms which included a XUV and Verna because either they didnt like the car as they hadnt test driven it before or they jumped in for a different car from the same segment, results of hurried purchase.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 11th July 2012 at 11:40.
Old 11th July 2012, 13:41   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

One has to act quick in the used car space. If one waits too long it gets snaffled by someone who is quicker on the draw.
Yes one has to do the necessary due diligence etc but whatever has to be done has to be done very very quickly indeed.
All the best!

Quote:
Thanks shankar. To my dismay, the said Laura has been sold , what you mentioned has happened already.

I think it makes sense to wait for a month or two, find a 2012 Laura which has done no more than 4-5k kms and go with my heart than to hurry, buy a Rapid now and regret every time i see a Laura passing by.

The Rapid is a good car no doubt but upgrading to a D segment from a C segment makes more sense IMO.
Old 11th July 2012, 14:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
If the used Laura is so good, why is the owner wanting to sell it off? I would be a bit suspicious if I were you. I agree the 2+2 Shield package should be comforting.
The suspicion is valid, but today, you will see all kinds of cars from Altos to Swifts to Ventos to 3/C/E to S classes to Bentleys to Ferrari being in the market with less than a year of ownership.

Its just that sometimes people buy mass selling cars or passion buying (super premium cars). But soon they realize that this car does not serve their requirements and is not practical. So they put it on the block.

With Superior buying capacity and willingness to bear depreciation hit to buy and keep only what you like brings such cars in the market.

In team-bhp alone - we have so many depreciation threads that its not financially advisable to sell cars NOT older than 5 years but we still see many 1-2 years old cars in the classifieds. Please - Not everyone is relocating or upgrading in a short span
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 14:52   #8
BHPian

Have you tried the new fiesta? The diesel is not fast but its no slouch either. The only problem would be the rear seat. It matches the linea on most counts. And you could get a fat discount.
Old 11th July 2012, 15:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Many people purchase cars simply because of the shape and colour. Later they realize its not the right one for them. Just as the same way they get married!

So its normal to find plenty of cars with less than a years of ownership.

I'd recently visit a used car showroom in Bangalore and was surprised to see many vehicles in the 1-3 years of ownership for sale, ranging from Maruti (small vehicles range) to BMWs, Audis & Mercs!

If you really like the Laura, request the owner to take it to a Skoda showroom and have the vehicle checked. Finally, luck plays an important factor as well, you may buy a new vehicle which breaks down in a week while a used vehicle runs for years. Sometimes you just have to trust your instinct and move forward.

The fears about Skoda which many people talk about is a hyped up issue, especially by competition, so as to bring them down.

Last edited by nitinbose : 11th July 2012 at 15:07.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 16:19   #10
BHPian

Having owned 4 Skodas, let me *assure* you that buying a used Skoda is never a good idea, unless you or your mechanic *really* know what you're doing when you are evaluating the car.

Personal advice - dont rely on Skoda showroom staff to tell you about it. Take an independent mechanic who you know / trust.

If you dont have one, or you are not technically capable to run through the service history and be able to figure out EXACTLY how the engine has behaved, then dont do it.

For the same reason, if you buy a new rapid - then keep immaculate service records for it for when you need to sell.

Bottom line - Skoda is not a Honda / Toyota. There is a reason for a low resale price. This creates arbitrages - if you're confident that you're on the right side of the arbitrage based on your technical knowledge or your mechanics - do it. If not, dont do it.
torquing_points is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 19:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personal advice - dont rely on Skoda showroom staff to tell you about it. Take an independent mechanic who you know / trust.
If the car warranty is transferrable then what would be a problem?

I feel the car warranty can be transferred to the new owner as the vehicle is less than a year old and too less in running to even do a first service.

If the warranty is transferrable Laura would be my pick out of the lot.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If the car warranty is transferrable then what would be a problem?
Out of our Skodas, they either developed a niggling issue in the first month or so - or they lasted for years and years. (The tank like Octavias lasted. The Superb / Laura didnt)

The one specific case (Superb) where we had all kinds of issues was a nightmare - the car was back at the dealer every other week, and stayed there for weeks. The A.S.S couldnt figure out what was going wrong with the car - fluids (coolant, engine oil and surprisingly enough, gear box oil) were getting mixed up after a few kilometers. They changed every major part of the car until it was in warranty. Even though the repair was covered by warranty (consumables werent - which added up), it was a horrid feeling to pay EMIs every month for a car that was in the workshop.

BUT this was the experience I had with only one of my Skodas. And to be completely honest, this is the one I tried to sell off to unsuspecting dealers in the first year itself (to no avail).

Thats why the resale value of Skoda cars is relatively poor. Which is why if you can get a good mechanic to inspect it, and assure you that its a 'good piece', you'll get a fantastic deal - but you need a pro to tell you that. You probably shouldnt rely on the warranty.

Warranty sharranty is OK - but if you have a bad piece, it just spoils the entire new car romanticism!
torquing_points is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 09:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points

Warranty sharranty is OK - but if you have a bad piece, it just spoils the entire new car romanticism!
In reality the statement is true for all cars. I know too many happy Skoda owners including a superb owner who has seen his car in the shed for three or four times . Ask them if they would avoid Skoda they say may be not. The support they got from service centre was great and the warranty support was good as well. His laura has no issues in the last five years as well.

Even harish case is because of the dealer and not related to car reliability or problems.

I have heard worse stories on Tata and Hyundai as well.

Skoda cars are as good as any other car.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda cars are as good as any other car.
Doesnt look like we're going to get to an agreement here, so lets just agree to disagree. Reliability wise, I dont believe that Skoda is as good as 'any other car', and my only point is that when buying a used car, particularly one which has reliability / maintenance issues in India, then its better to be sure about what you're buying.

Quote:
In reality the statement is true for all cars.
Disagree. This is less true for a Honda or a Toyota. It is true for Mahindra / Tata though. Not sure about Hyundai - but certainly true for Skoda.

I dont intend to make this thread about Skoda quality versus other manufacturers' quality, although there are enough discussions on T-Bhp about this. All I say as an owner of no less than 4 of their cars, including the one that being evaluated (albeit the older model), is that be careful when you're buying a used Skoda specifically, and get it thoroughly technically evaluated, and if not fully convinced, then buy new.

I wouldnt say the same for a Honda, Toyota, Maruti. Not only because of their 'global reputation', but also because those cars are less 'drive by wire', and easier to diagnose if there is a problem. But when buying a Skoda / VW / Benz / BMW / Audi or any other car which is more technically complex than the norm, I would say get it professionally checked up before you buy used.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldnt say the same for a Honda, Toyota, Maruti. Not only because of their 'global reputation', but also because those cars are less 'drive by wire', and easier to diagnose if there is a problem. But when buying a Skoda / VW / Benz / BMW / Audi or any other car which is more technically complex than the norm, I would say get it professionally checked up before you buy used.
I do agree to the point that Honda or Toyota are less drive by wire and hence failure of electronics making the car a big size paper weight is less compared to a german car.

Even in superb or the laura the complaints were previously about the machatronics. The current generation superb or the laura have not seen that many failures. Apart from Machatronics i have not seen major technical failure in these cars at an alarming level to be concerned about.

I do concur with your view to get it checked but that is my view for any car including honda or Toyota not specific to Skoda.

The manual model the thread OP is interested in has not seen any major failure at mass level. There will be 1-2 instances here and there but the manual stick shift laura is as reliable as a Honda in my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks