Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which of these sibling variants (diesel) would you choose?
Nissan Sunny XL 25 16.23%
Renault Scala RxL 13 8.44%
Nissan Sunny XV 35 22.73%
Renault Scala RxZ 39 25.32%
None of these, some other car 42 27.27%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 13:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Scala vs Nissan Sunny : Choosing between the siblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But don't forget. When people are in the market for a sedan that's around 10 lakhs, the Rapid, the Sunny, the Vento and the Scala will come up in the discussion because they fall in the same price-bracket. And that alone is enough for them to be compared.
I agree. I don’t think the target audience is really different. For someone who is the market for a car in the range of 10 lakhs, the Vento, Sunny, Rapid, Scala, Verna, Linea, City etc. will surely come into the picture. They are indeed in the same segment, and feature-list is pretty much the same, each of these may have a bit of give and take, but nothing drastic.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 13:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Nissan Sunny XV just because I was too depressed by the pricing of the Scala. I agree the Renault counterpart looks better and more proportional than the Sunny but pricing a car around 70k more than a "very" similar car is totally silly since, IMO, people wont give that much premium just to get better looks.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I agree. I don’t think the target audience is really different. For someone who is the market for a car in the range of 10 lakhs, the Vento, Sunny, Rapid, Scala, Verna, Linea, City etc. will surely come into the picture. They are indeed in the same segment, and feature-list is pretty much the same, each of these may have a bit of give and take, but nothing drastic.
Quote:
Agreed.

But don't forget. When people are in the market for a sedan that's around 10 lakhs, the Rapid, the Sunny, the Vento and the Scala will come up in the discussion because they fall in the same price-bracket. And that alone is enough for them to be compared.
Agreed to both of you. All these cars will indeed come in the shortlist - BUT they will appeal to totally different people.

Verna - Self driven but sedate, like to have feature packed cars
Vento/Rapid - Enthusiastic drivers, Like classic looks
Scala/Sunny - Chauffer driven, sedate driving

My point is - i dont think the people whom Sunny/Scala appeals to will buy Vento or Verna. And vice-versa.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed.

Exactly. The 10lac customer thinks about price first and then leg room even if he is going to be driven around. There is definitely going to be a comparison and shopping around to see who offers the best value.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd have accepted a price difference of 40K, but this is too much for what is the SAME CAR!
Attachment 982276
Thank you for the insightful post, does make the decision alot easier to get the Sunny XV into the stable.
Old 13th September 2012, 00:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare Rapid/Vento to Scala/Sunny. The target audience is totally different. Scala/Sunny are peerless if you are primarily chauffeur driven due to S-Class beating rear leg room.
Forgotten the Manza, have we?

Oodles of leg room - check.
S- class degree seats with good under thigh support, arm rest - check.
Fuel efficient diesel engine - check.
Bluetooth, Audio controls, rear cabin lights, steering controls, num pad dialer, USB, Aux in, CD - check
Airbags, ABS, Alloys, Big boot, elegant bits of chrome, ground clearance - check.

Cheaper to own, cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain.
(My 3rd service of 10,000 kms cost me exactly 301 Rs.)
Old 13th September 2012, 10:24   #22
BHPian

IMO the pricing strategy of Renault has been pretty much a disaster in this Sunny / Scala scenario. Even though the Scala has a tad bit plusher feel to it, i'd still any day go for a Sunny when compared to Scala, i mean why would i spend that much of an extra money and end up with a pretty much the same product in my hands ??

If at all the choices are limited to only Scala & Sunny, i'd suggest Sunny any given day, though Sx4, Verna & Vento are better propositions according to me
Old 13th September 2012, 10:34   #23
BHPian

Well for the price i will again go for the Nissan Sunny.
Why did Renault increase the price to this difference.
I personally like the Scala's look, better than the Sunny.
Yes we should not compare rapid / vento with sunny / scala because sunny is better for lesser. Vento is such a small car, I wonder how people get in and get out from the back seat. Vento and rapid are professional looking cars but priced high just for the brand sake. Are we paying only for the name?

Anyways IMHO Scala wins over Nissan for its looks, probably the engine tuning (not yet done a TD, but I assume)
Nissan sunny - Better pricing.

If priced just at 20K difference scala would have been a tougher choice to avoid.

Last edited by Visaster : 13th September 2012 at 10:36.
Old 14th September 2012, 01:33   #24
BHPian

As much as I am disappointed with pricing of Scala but if its only between Sunny Vs Scala, I shall still buy Scala for its looks and leather seats. A price difference would pinch a little right now but adds to the exclusivity and long term satisfaction on looks.

However, if VFM is to be looked in this segment, you should not look beyond Manza!
Old 14th September 2012, 11:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Forgotten the Manza, have we?

Oodles of leg room - check.
S- class degree seats with good under thigh support, arm rest - check.
Fuel efficient diesel engine - check.
Bluetooth, Audio controls, rear cabin lights, steering controls, num pad dialer, USB, Aux in, CD - check
Airbags, ABS, Alloys, Big boot, elegant bits of chrome, ground clearance - check.

Cheaper to own, cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain.
Manza does check most of the boxes as rightly posted by you but i guess the overall quality of the product and the TATA Service as well as poor re-sale value due to the brand name (read bad image) does not entice a user who is out to spend Rs. 10 lakhs & probably this is where the Manza looses out and does not have many fans around !!

Sorry this might have sounded a little rude to the Manza owners, but i guess i learnt it the hardway too when i owned the Manza which i plan to sell off soon. I frankly did not have a very pleasant ownership experience with Manza
Old 14th September 2012, 11:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although slightly offtopic for this thread but can you please elaborate on the details of your car's 10k km service. How can it be Rs 301 unless they didn't change anything and just washed it and returned it to you.
Old 14th September 2012, 16:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Manza does check most of the boxes as rightly posted by you but i guess the overall quality of the product and the TATA Service as well as poor re-sale value due to the brand name (read bad image) does not entice a user who is out to spend Rs. 10 lakhs & probably this is where the Manza looses out and does not have many fans around !!

Sorry this might have sounded a little rude to the Manza owners, but i guess i learnt it the hardway too when i owned the Manza which i plan to sell off soon. I frankly did not have a very pleasant ownership experience with Manza

I totally agree to what you have to say:

But

1. If you will please read the post to which I had replied - it was mentioned that it's unfair to compare Scala/Sunny to Vento since not in the same price range - that is why I brought the Manza into the picture.
Though Manza does give some pricier cars a run for their money in terms of comfort, space, efficiency & features - but it would be unfair to compare otherwise.

2. Sales figures of Jan to August 2012 make Manza the 2nd best selling sedan in to 6 to 12 lakh range. Vento & Honda City grab last 2 spots.

3. Yes - indeed all the points that you said are valid and really do happen.
BUT -
Tata Motors has really improved leaps and bounds in their quality and service.
They are literally working overtime to try and change the bad name they have acquired and as a Manza owner myself I can verify it.
And in due time we may all see the results.
I can only suggest that if you really have faced any significant problems you should write to them directly than try to deal with it at the dealer level or service center level. Because Tata Motors never fails to respond back with a solution - while the service center has NO inclination to help you.

You can read about the MANY positive steps taken by them and the efforts they have put in to help me here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...n-edition.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Although slightly offtopic for this thread but can you please elaborate on the details of your car's 10k km service. How can it be Rs 301 unless they didn't change anything and just washed it and returned it to you.
Nope. The 301 Rs. was just for the Air Filter they changed and returned the old one to me.
Rest everything in the 3rd service (engine oil change, tyre rotation, gear oil top up, interior cleaning) was done ..............
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2903555

All written here. I think it will be too much to type again.
Please do read.
And I shall post more details within the next week.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 16:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
1. If you will please read the post to which I had replied - it was mentioned that it's unfair to compare Scala/Sunny to Vento since not in the same price range - that is why I brought the Manza into the picture.
True only for Sunny since the difference between ex-showroom prices of the top model of Sunny & Vento is nearly Rs. 1 lakh, but correct me if i am wrong the same can not be said about Scala. Price difference between top models of Scala & the Vento in this case being only Rs. 25-30K.
Prodigyy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 20:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the easiest thread to answer.
It is Rapid.

It has more power
More torque
Better Handling
Better interiors
Better build

If you have a rapid, I bet you will put the Chauffeur in the co-passenger's seat.
In case you don't know how to drive, Manza or Sunny can be the choice just because they are more SPACE for money making them more VFM. And I personally like the looks of Sunny better than Scala. So it is an obvious choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Completely agree with you. Customers filter cars with Petrol/diesel & price range.

Last edited by oxyzen : 14th September 2012 at 20:21.
Old 15th September 2012, 04:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed.

I absolutely agree. Leave alone Rapid, Sunny and Vento. I also seriously considered Verna, Yeti, XUV, Fluence, Corolla, Cruze and finally settled on Duster. I was more inclined on 'what works for me'. Sunny to Cruze to Duster - I guess is a long way.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 15th September 2012 at 04:29.

Most Viewed